Posted in music | venues on January 25, 2012

Southpaw in 2010 (more by BBG)
Southpaw

According to many with connections to the Park Slope club (some who emailed me and some who are tweeting), Southpaw is closing on February 20 (possibly because "The venue's been sold."). The 5th Avenue Brooklyn venue was getting ready to celebrate their 10th anniversary in a big way too, which would make this news, if confirmed, even sadder.

Home of The Rub, Nuclear Family, numerous soul shows, many hip hop ones (like the upcoming Action Bronson/eXquire gig), and even a lot of indie rock at one time (just off the top of my head I remember seeing Sufjan Stevens, John Vanderslice, Andrew Bird, Mogwai, Davila 666, Mannequin Men, Keren Ann, Metric, Neko Case, Sondre Lerche, Bob Log III, Sharon Jones, and Negative Approach there), Southpaw has been a great piece of the NYC music scene for almost a decade. Unfortunately, possibly due to the increasing popularity and number of Williamsburg venues, and newer competition from Union Hall and the Bell House (not to mention Littlefield), shows have been somewhat less frequent there in the past few years (especially notable indie rock ones).

Stay tuned for more info, and an official confirmation (one way or another). Meanwhile check out their schedule (which at the moment has four shows on it past 2/20).

cbgb moving into southpaw?

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 12:17 PM

"Unfortunately, possibly due to the increasing popularity and number of Williamsburg venues, and newer competition from Union Hall and the Bell House, shows have been somewhat less frequent there in the past few years"

I dunno, I may be going out on a limb here, but WHY DON'T YOU SCHEDULE MORE SHOWS?!?! Every time I walk by that shit it's all closed up, not a creature stirring. IF THERE WAS NOT A MARKET FOR GREAT SHOWS IN THE SLOPE, UNION HALL AND THE BELL HOUSE WOULD HAVE CLOSED ALREADY.

It's not difficult people - you don't run shows, people won't come. And don't tell me it's because it's run down - that never stopped CBGB and that place was ALWAYS a dump.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 12:22 PM

that sucks. i really like southpaw and their residency parties, particularly the rub. if true, this is really shitty news.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 12:24 PM

This place used to be THE place to be. Indie rock lived there. I lived there. The booking just went elsewhere. Sad.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 12:25 PM

Poor booking agent. Just look at Bell House: they immediately became a goto club once they got a better booker.

For me the best show at Southpaw was the Wharton Tiers Ensemble/Tone/Savage Republic. Insane. Wish SR would return to NYC.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 12:28 PM

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 12:29 PM

I used to have a girl out in park slope and she used to hang at this place, and whenever I went in there to have a drink, I often times would make out with some other girl in the bathroom. Place was alright. Sorry to see it go.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 12:30 PM

Andrew Bird was amazing that night. I and my buddy seguro desemprego like this night.

Posted by Mauricio | January 25, 2012 12:33 PM

Whoever designed the layout of that place was on crack. You don't put the stage in the front of the venue, forcing people to barge through the crowd to get to the empty space in the back.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 12:38 PM

Southpaw has been a Park Slope institution. I think they've seen better days so maybe in the end this is a good thing and will result in some updating on the space, but either way I'm sad to see it go :(

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 12:41 PM

Really sad about this. All great dudes were involved with that place and it had so much to offer.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 12:42 PM

the booker of Southpaw left about a year ago to go to the Bell house. He's the same dude that books Maxwells

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 12:44 PM

"I doubt Union Hall affects their business since it does not attract bigger/better bands."

i saw real estate there last year. this is all true, southpaw really doesnt get the type of shows they used to get. i love that place, this sucks

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 12:50 PM

roky erickson back in 07ish was epic, but i haven't had a need to go back there since then. it's a shame what happened to that place.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 12:53 PM

loved that it was near my home, an easy walk..there have been some good soul shows of late.. the show that lives with me the most is The Go-Betweens.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 12:57 PM

Yeah, I've seen good shows here, but I have no affection towards this club. The booking went to Bell House and I'm just as happy to see shows there.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 12:57 PM

Hopefully some one takes this place over and books some good bands. Roky erickson was awesome there...but thats the only show worth seeing there...

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 12:58 PM

Captures in June 2011 was a stand-out show for me.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 1:03 PM

Although they technically have comparable space capacity, the Bell House is a much better use of the space for the audience.

But at the end of the day, it's all about the booking agent. I've seen some amazing shows there in the past when Todd was booking, but ever since he left, it never attained its previous stature on the bookings. I'd have kept going if it had.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 1:11 PM

this makes me sad. as a band that played there several times, it was a favorite spot. like maxwells, they always treated you like a million bucks (or at least as a human being), and were super helpful. seeing the kills and young people there in 03 was a highlight.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 1:14 PM

The Creation, The Vaselines and Swamp Dogg.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 1:14 PM

Park Slope sucks balls anyway

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 1:17 PM

stopped going when they stopped having GOOD shows. new model army...roky erickson...frank black!

what the fuck happened to southpaw?!?

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 1:18 PM

oh, and the FALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i fucking shook mark e. smith's hand at southpaw!

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 1:19 PM

Hey BV, post my damn comment about how everything went downhill after the club was doing promo/sponsorships at shows with Camel cigarettes!

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 1:19 PM

great little club... saw Bert Jansch, Black Angels, Acid Temple Mothers, etc...

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 1:23 PM

^^ struggling with the meaning of "awaiting blog owner's approval"

let's not anyone tell him what that means, and we'll have our own real-life "How do you keep a moron in suspense" joke.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 1:24 PM

"awaiting blog owner's approval" means your post is gone forever like a hummus platter disappears at a North Williamsburg dinner party.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 1:27 PM

My first trip to NY was to see a show at the Southpaw. Sneaker Pimps in 2002 =o(

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 1:28 PM

I've always loved this room. Such a nice, warm, intimate sound. The bottle neck did suck but it was easy to overlook by the end of the night. It's all about the booking and way too bad that they couldn't find another decent booker to take over. There was plenty of room in the slope for SP to exist.

Posted by president resident | January 25, 2012 1:33 PM

12:30, you are a stud. Can I be your friend?

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 1:35 PM

KRS-ONE at Southpaw was the sh!t

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 1:37 PM

Last great show I went to there was the Mummies, although I don't think there was really anything special about the room.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 1:47 PM

Before any other venue existed in Brooklyn there was Southpaw. Flawed as it was, and maybe it didn't provide as much indie rock as most of the readers on this blog would prefer, you can't deny the fact that they played an enormous role in cultivating what we now know as the Brooklyn music scene. Brooklyn is a MAJOR player in the music scene now. It started with Southpaw and N6. A shame they both are now gone. An era has come to an end.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 1:53 PM

12:25 said it best, booking went elsewhere indeed. I used to go there for a lot of shows, then after awhile, I stopped ever looking at their calendar. Real shame.

Posted by BLG | January 25, 2012 1:58 PM

We need more venues that aren't in Williamsburg & Greenpoint, not less. Saw some good shows there. Hope it reopens soon.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 2:00 PM

N6 is gone, but MHOW replaced it, which is a great venue. Too bad it's in Williamsburgh!

Posted by president resident | January 25, 2012 2:08 PM

Hey, why don't all you good for nothing hipster BV commenter fucks start up a Kickstarter campaign and buy the joint, then the rest of us can bitch and laugh about the epic fail you turn it into? amirite?

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 2:10 PM

Yeah, they had some pretty great shows there once upon a time - Broadcast, Mogwai, Bill Callahan, Eric Bachmann, Shannon Wright, Isobel Campbell, Arab Strap.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 2:12 PM

Broadcast, Ted Leo (for $8!), Sharon Jones, Antibalas, Mooney Suzuki, Apollo Sunshine, Dr. Dog...the list is endless.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 2:19 PM

Oh no, annoying crowds of barely post-teens won't be blocking the sidewalk on 5th Ave. anymore. How could this happen?

Posted by Mike | January 25, 2012 2:40 PM

vic chesnutt/ m ward. r.i.p vic r.i.p. southpaw

Posted by anonymous | January 25, 2012 2:45 PM

$8 for Ted Leo is still overpriced

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 2:53 PM

Roky Erickson! Acid Mothers...

Now that I think of it, that was the first time Roky ever played New York. Gig sold out right away - he then added a Bowery gig.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 2:57 PM

some brazilian funk from jorge ben's 1976 classic Africa Brasil at the site today, plus contemporary jammies and scenic polaroids..

shameless plug

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 3:13 PM

"Before any other venue existed in Brooklyn there was Southpaw.

What? Are you 12 or a transplant?

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 3:18 PM

I think American Analog Set played there once, but I went and saw them in Manhattan instead. I think.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 3:23 PM

shitty venue with shitty bands in a shitty neighborhood

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 3:40 PM

Yea but Park Slope fucking sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 3:42 PM

Haha. Park Slope sucks? Compared to what?

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 3:50 PM

I don't get the park slope jabs, either. I'm guessing people who are saying that it sucks either can't afford to live there and secretly want to, or they're young and stupid living in W'burg/Bushwick/Greenpoint thinking that it's the center of the universe there.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 4:03 PM

^park slope is cool for parents and lesbians, but jacuzzzi boyz hang strictly on the north side.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 4:04 PM

What Park Slope, North Williamsburg, Greenpoint, and most of North Brooklyn in general have in common is that they pushed out the regular folks. It doesn't feel like Brooklyn anymore, to be quite honest.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 4:20 PM

Maybe they can start booking The Rub over at Bell House?

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 4:30 PM

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 4:48 PM

4:48 - Bushwick isn't completely there yet, but it's getting there. I hope the old Bushwick residents revolt against the hipsters.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 4:50 PM

Bushwick is a ghetto.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 4:56 PM

as long as the rub stays afloat somewhere nearby, i'm ok with this

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 5:02 PM

"their is no difference from williamsburg, greenpoint, bushwick, and park slope. their all filled with gentrifying douchebags."

Normally hate grammar police, but it is amusing that you misused "their" in two different ways there.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 5:04 PM

Boo. This stinks. Those Darlins/Deer Tick show there a few years back was in my Top 10 of all time.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 5:12 PM

Reigning Sound @ The Bell House > Reigning Sound @ Southpaw

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 5:18 PM

Damn. Southpaw was great because it wasn't nearly as twee and cute as Union Hall and Bell House have both become. Want to hear Mike Birgbiglia smile and "Aw shucks" his way through some new material? Interested in food poisoning at a Guacamole contest? Then UH and BH are for you. I'll take Southpaw and its sweaty ass, sketchy random rockabilly shows.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 5:35 PM

sucks that brooklyn isn't like how it was 30 years ago. but then, 30 years ago it wasn't like it was 30 years before that. and then 30 years before that...

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 5:56 PM

urban areas change. move to the country if you want to live somewhere that's the same throughout your lifetime.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 5:59 PM

"And yeah, no difference at all between those neighborhoods. That is, unless you actually spend some time in those places, while also not having your head up your ass."

^
this.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 6:15 PM

Southpaw was such a great place. I live in Harrisburg Pennsylvania and always saw great shows up there. It seems like that neighborhood is losing an iconic place, so sad.

Posted by Jeff | January 25, 2012 6:52 PM

Not many venues treat bands, promotors, djs, and fans with as much respect and genuine love as this place did, it will be missed

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 7:13 PM

5:59 - North Brooklyn is whitewashed by gentrification and spoiled rich kids. It has lost its flavor. The REAL Brooklyn is the rest of Brooklyn, where the non-hipster blacks, Jews, Italians, and Russians live.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 8:20 PM

i saw m ward there...negative approach, andrew bird before he got all big for lesbian chicks...reigning sound...prefuse 73...so much stuff im forgetting.

havent been there in years though.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2012 10:54 PM

"The REAL Brooklyn is the rest of Brooklyn, where the non-hipster blacks, Jews, Italians, and Russians live."

Congrats. the dumbest comment in one of the dumbest comment strings ever.

Posted by Anonymous | January 26, 2012 2:24 AM

My favorite part of Brooklyn is the Lebanese section. And I will give you 1 guess why that is.

Posted by Anonymous | January 26, 2012 3:45 AM

2:24, why is it dumb to say that gentrification is taking away what used to make Brooklyn so great ethnically and culturally?

Posted by Anonymous | January 26, 2012 6:19 AM

3:45 They make great pita bread!

Posted by Anonymous | January 26, 2012 9:16 AM

you know what's really annoying? when you go through the trouble of writing a well articulated comment and it ends up in the "this is being reviewed by the blog owner" bung hole trap.

Posted by Anonymous | January 26, 2012 10:48 AM

if this is true - Thanks for the memories, Southpaw.

Posted by MiWi | January 26, 2012 1:31 PM

10:48 - I hear ya. You have to type out your comment in a text pad first, copy/paste it in, in case they block it due to you including horrible words like "sp1n doctors" or "b0wery presents".

Posted by Anonymous | January 26, 2012 2:01 PM

pita pit atlantic ave

Posted by Anonymous | January 26, 2012 3:55 PM

5:04-are you fucking kidding me? the folks in those 4 neighborhoods are for the most part white douchey transplants. oh, and fuck grammer. you know exactly what i meant so shove it.

Posted by Anonymous | January 26, 2012 4:48 PM

I loved this club...when they would book HC or Metal bands once in a RARE while. Great location, great neighborhood. RIP.

Posted by Anonymous | January 26, 2012 7:48 PM

"cbgb moving into southpaw?

THAT WOULD RULE!
But not gonna happen.

Posted by Anonymous | January 26, 2012 7:53 PM

you can't say bowery presents?

Posted by Anonymous | January 26, 2012 8:14 PM

8:14, I stand corrected. Yes you can say Bowery Presents, but I think you can't say scalp in the same post.

Posted by Anonymous | January 27, 2012 7:19 AM

haha or maybe you can! there ya go...

Posted by Anonymous | January 27, 2012 7:19 AM

This is a truly inspiring post. I really am very impressed when reading your articles. You always post useful info. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Really looking forward to seeing your next posting.

Posted by Cuc | July 8, 2013 4:52 PM