Posted in music on January 4, 2012

The Weeknd

The Weeknd posted the following message on Facebook:

The Weeknd is looking for a professional guitarist and bass player in or around the Toronto area to travel and perform live in concert. Those interested please send all information to:

theweekndband@gmail.com

Include: name, age, instrument, and a photograph if possible. Any additional youtube video footage, credentials, etc. of performer is welcome.

Serious inquiries only please.

Deadline is Sunday January 8, 2012

As Pitchfork points out, that means The Weeknd is planning a tour. Meanwhile, catch up and grab the third free mixtape.

Thanks nigga

Posted by The Weeknd | January 4, 2012 6:34 PM

Yesssssssssssssssss!

Posted by Anonymous | January 4, 2012 6:34 PM

include a picture... because if you don't look like a twink there's no way anyone's gonna call you...

Posted by Anonymous | January 4, 2012 6:45 PM

Andrew Sacher.

Posted by Anonymous | January 4, 2012 6:55 PM

This is such a stupid band name.

Posted by Anonymous | January 4, 2012 7:10 PM

What a way to get laid

Posted by Anonymous | January 4, 2012 7:20 PM

No one will remember this crap.

Posted by Anonymous | January 4, 2012 7:20 PM

this is only the beginning.

Posted by Anonymous | January 4, 2012 7:22 PM

the bv comment section is chock full of skin flute prodigies, this should be a snap

Posted by Anonymous | January 4, 2012 7:34 PM

like a twink there's no way anyone's gonna call you...good work!

Posted by Aeronaves | January 4, 2012 8:19 PM

Can someone please explain to me why he is so hyped up? I will admit I don't listen to a lot of "dance" stuff which I guess is what this is, but aside from a great voice, what do people find so great about him? To me it's like white Kanye West making a bad sequel to 808s...the lyrics are just atrocious.

Posted by Anonymous | January 4, 2012 8:49 PM

he created a new genre of music; that's what people are lovin him for. plus his songs are ill, just listen to that shit.

he's one of the new artists that i literally don't care when trolls hate on him, because he's so good that i regard anyone who hates on him as simply misinformed or a doofwad.

Posted by Anonymous | January 4, 2012 9:05 PM

I don't even know where to begin...

7:20 -- People are going to forget about the fucking Fleet Foxes. They aren't going to forget about a voice like this, and the sound coming out of Toronto is one of the most interesting things happening in music right now.

8:49 -- This is not even remotely close to dance music, unless you're calling R&B dance music. And he's not white. And I'm not sure you could make an album worse than 808s. And he's not trying to be Tom Waits. He's writing seedy songs about drugs and sex. You know, when two people... never mind... I don't want to ruin the surprise.

I mean, the dude has two tracks built on Beach House songs -- why aren't you kids eating this up? Is it just so you can continue to keep cred at Turkey's Nest by hating on Pitchfork darlings? Come on...

That said, whenever he does come to town it's going to be a complete shitshow full of dudes wearing 1992 Charlotte Hornets starter jackets in giant unlaced neon sneakers mixed in with a bunch of bearded "artists" / baristas just standing there and uploading pics to instagram who are still pissed that they couldn't get into James Murphy's parties.

Posted by Anonymous | January 4, 2012 9:54 PM

paging frohawk!

Posted by Anonymous | January 4, 2012 9:58 PM

9:54, 8:49 here;

1) I just said dance in quotes because I didn't feel like putting some string of genres, I know it's not like club stuff, so bad choice of word I guess.

2) I know he's not white, I was calling him a white Kanye West because that's what some of his lyrics sound like to me, white guy trying way too hard to be hip.

3) Uh...people ARE eating this up. I can't go on a blog over the last like 5 months without seeing this guy pop up. I don't think he's bad, I just really don't hear what is so new or incredible about his music. As for the seedy songs, that's what I think is stupid. At least when Tom Waits does it it's believable/kinda funny as a old timey guy. This just sounds like those 24 year olds who put status updates about how drunk they got last night or what drugs they did. We're all adults now, we all drink, we've all done drugs, it's not really cool to brag about anymore, we're not 19.

Posted by Anonymous | January 4, 2012 10:26 PM

yeah totally, we're like, 22 now. right?

Posted by Anonymous | January 4, 2012 10:48 PM

"he created a new genre of music"

Really? He created R&B? Are you fucking stupid?

Posted by Anonymous | January 4, 2012 11:13 PM

The way I see it, as soon as you're 21, it no longer makes you special if you got totally shitfaced last night brah. That's what literally millions of people do every night legally.

Posted by Anonymous | January 5, 2012 12:17 AM

Now that would be a rad experience.

Posted by games like roblox | January 5, 2012 12:31 AM

that fong dong is real emo weeknd bro

Posted by Anonymous | January 5, 2012 1:16 AM

@1113 no, dickless. unlike you, some of us don't categorize music into seven or eight categories like it's still 1980.

he created what magazines are calling PBR&B, or Blue Eyed R&B; indie-inspired R&B with extreme percussive sound and electronic undertones. if you listen to 'the weeknd' and think it's just another r&b album then you're fucking stupid, seriously.

Posted by Anonymous | January 5, 2012 7:44 AM

Posted by Anonymous | January 5, 2012 7:44 AM

guys talking about how his lyrics suck are the same guys who were talking about how queen's stupid song about the bicycle is dumb.

Posted by Anonymous | January 5, 2012 7:46 AM

He wants to be in Bell Biv Devoe.

Posted by Anonymous | January 5, 2012 12:43 PM

PBR&B....that will certainly stand the test of time as one of the most important genres ever.

Posted by Anonymous | January 5, 2012 1:05 PM

include a picture-pretensious douchebags

Posted by Anonymous | January 5, 2012 4:19 PM

I like the new joint he does with drizzy... andd she's lovinnn the crewwaheww she's lovin the crew she's lovin the crewaheww!!

Posted by Anonymous | January 5, 2012 9:01 PM