Posted in music | tour dates on February 23, 2012

feedtime

Speaking of Australian bands....

feedtime was an independent postpunk rock trio from Sydney, Australia, formed in 1979... [who] made four albums in the 1980s... The second album, Shovel, received the greatest critical acclaim. The last of these four albums, Suction, was produced by Butch Vig.
feedtime's sound was loud, primitive, and brutal. The most distinctive musical element is thick, roaring electric guitar, played with a slide, over a thick, chugging rhythm section. Their loud but stripped-down, minimalist approach led them to be compared to the British postpunk band Wire (although feedtime didn't know Wire's music), but feedtime's sound also heavily referenced rural American country and blues. -[Wikipedia]
feedtime called it quits in 1989, reunited briefly in 1996, and has reunited again for a round of shows which are all listed below.

The dates include a trio of NYC area gigs: Brooklyn gets Death By Audio on 3/29, Manhattan has Cake Shop on 3/31, and NJ gets the look at Maxwells on 4/1. Advance tickets are available for Maxwell's.

The tour is timed to coincide with the release of their new 4xLP/4CD boxset, the Aberrant years, due on March 13th via Sub Pop. Order yours.

"With the Aberrant years, Sub Pop finally realizes our goal of releasing feedtime, a longtime staff favorite and a huge influence on the label's early artistes. From 1978 or 1979 (dates are hazy) until the breakup of their classic lineup in 1989, Sydney, Australia's feedtime--no, that's not a typo, the 'f' is lowercase--shoved their mutant fusion of early American blues, stripped-down hard rock and minimalist punk on an often-hostile music scene. Their raw vision of rock music and disdain for trendy music-biz maneuvering earned them little in the way of mainstream success, but it did get them a rabid underground following (notably Sub Pop's very own Mudhoney) and the support of seminal Aussie indie label Aberrant Records, Amphetamine Reptile Records and Rough Trade US...."
All tour dates, including some shows with Mudhoney, are listed along with some videos and a bunch of songs you can listen to (thanks to a Soundcloud mix compiled by Mark Arm), below...

Feedtime

feedtime Live!!!

feedtime - i wanna ride

feedtime - "Doesn't Time Fly" (1985)

FEEDTIME - 2012 TOUR DATES
Tuesday, April 3, 2012 The Earl, Atlanta GA
Thursday, April 5, 2012 Beerland, Austin TX
Saturday, April 7, 2012 Echo, Los Angeles CA

Greatest band, just amazing

Posted by Dave | February 23, 2012 1:38 PM

Sydney Vegan.

What's next, Lagos Vegan?

(For the record, I would hugely prefer a Lagos Vegan, in that it would be all AfroBeat Fela inspired jams made by topless girlies with big tities, yey yah)

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2012 1:45 PM

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2012 2:04 PM

^^
*facepalm*
PLEASE be trolling, and not just another horrible child of the internet generation.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2012 2:12 PM

I've never heard of them. And for me, they are a blip. I've already moved on, to imagining those topless Lagos women .....

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2012 2:16 PM

HAHAHAAAA!!!! @2:04 - Just because you're a simple-minded fool with no knowledge of music, doesn't mean that others won't be excited about this news. Go learn something and get a f--king clue!

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2012 2:18 PM

I've never heard of them either. Guess you have to be a hipster aussie faggot to know about this huge band, like you eh 2:18?

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2012 2:35 PM

Wow, a handful people on the internet in 2012 have never heard of an obscure (yet excellent) Australian rock band from the '80s. This is totally surprising to me.

Posted by Dave | February 23, 2012 2:48 PM

who?

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2012 2:52 PM

I'm not 2:04, but I kind of take exception to your comment 2:18 that my not having heard of this obscure band makes me a "simple minded fool with no knowledge of music". I come from a musical family, I've been playing several instruments since I was 8, I've been in a few bands that if you have lived in the NYC area over the last 15 years you may have heard of or seen, and all of this to say that I've made it a priority in my life to have a broad and diverse musical pallet and knowledge and I've never heard of this band (and I definitely not without musical knowledge by any measure, although my ex-wife did call me a fool on more than one occasion). So, maybe you want to seem "cool" and "exclusive" in your tastes and knowledge, but I can assure you objectively you may want to tone down that "better than you" stance, because you know of some obscure band. I'm sure that I could pull a few out that I know you would not know and you should.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2012 2:54 PM

2:54 - you wouldn't have posted like 2:04 did because you seem to be aware that you don't know all there is to know. 2:04 is a simple minded fool who believes feedtime was worthless because he never heard them. i'd bet a lot of bands 2:04 likes heard them. i know that certain people in mission of burma love them.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2012 3:03 PM

Hey 2:54, 2:18 here.

Not knowing of this band is fine. They are obscure and I get that. What I was commenting on was someone who obviously is unaware of feedtime, yet ignorantly writes....

"all of these no name reunion bands make me sad. is my band going to be a blip on the radar of music in history, just like "feedtime" lowercase???"

No name renuion band?
Makes you SAD?
just like "feedtime" lowercase???"

I wans't trying to come off as 'cool' or 'exclusive'. I just get annoyed when someone lacks awareness of a certain subject, therefore, it instantly must become stupid and irrelevant to everyone else.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2012 3:04 PM

Linsanity > Piece of Shit Box Set > Piece of Shit Reunion Tour

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2012 3:21 PM

Goat gotten. Aim achieved. Now settle down.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2012 3:33 PM

Anonymous New Yorkers who have never heard of feedtime ignorantly write them off on marginal music blog. Reprazent, cool dudes!

Anyone with half a clue knows that this band was definitely not a "blip on the radar", but influenced and inspired countless others around the world and carry with them a rich and unique musical heritage. It's a miracle they are playing again and you're damned lucky to have them in your country.

Posted by Motorbike Girl | February 23, 2012 7:53 PM

^ whatever grandpa. Next!

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2012 8:04 PM

Yes not surprising theres ignorant comments about feedtime. Then again they probably have not heard of the Saints from Australia either. Great pioneering band.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2012 10:33 PM

Old guys, we don't care.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2012 10:48 PM

so easy to reduce a solid discussion with quips like 'old guys, grandpa' etc. oh wasted youth- i pity you when you grow old yourself with your panic at the disco records, or whatever other glib bullshit you all listen to. fuck off and get a clue.

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2012 10:06 AM