Posted in music on February 9, 2012

Frankie Rose

Frankie Rose releases Interstellar this month (2/21) and as Bill points out, she's left the garage pop of her debut behind in favor of synthy, jangly pop. It's a huge step up from her last album and you can stream the entire thing at SPIN. She plays a record release show for the album at Knitting Factory on February 21 with Dive and Night Manager.

The new album from Dr. Dog, Be The Void, is out this week (2/7) and streaming at Conan O'Brien's website Team Coco. Watch the video of their performance on the show last night (2/8) below. Also, don't forget to grab your tickets for their Terminal 5 show on 3/23 while they're still available. More tour dates HERE.

Sharon Van Etten and Shearwater are touring together in support of their upcoming albums which are both currently streaming on NPR. Listen to Sharon's HERE and Shearwater's HERE. Their tour hits NYC on 2/24 at MHOW and 2/25 at Bowery Ballroom. Both shows are sold out but Sharon plays Bowery again the next night (2/26) and tickets are still available.

Islands' new album, A Sleep & A Forgetting, is due out February 14 via ANTI- and you can stream the entire thing below. Their tour in support of it hits NYC on 2/25 at LPR. Tickets are still available.

Instrumental hip hop producer Mux Mool released his new album, Planet High School, digitally this week and that can be streamed in full below (via FADER).

Field Music will release their new album, Plumb, on February 14 via Memphis Industries. You can stream the whole thing at NPR.

Tennis's new album, Young and Old, is due out February 14 via Fat Possum and you can stream it in full below (via P4K). Their tour in support of it hits NYC on 3/3 at Bowery Ballroom and 3/5 at MHOW. The Bowery show is sold out but tickets for MHOW are still on sale.

Air's new album, Le Voyage Dans La Lune, which features a collaboration with Beach House's Victoria Legrand, and as mentioned is a soundtrack, is out this week and streaming in full on NPR.

It's not exactly an album, but Fucked Up's 15+ minute "Year of the Tiger" single which features Jim Jarmusch, Austra, and Annie-Claude Deschênes of Duchess Says, can be streamed below.

Streams below...

Dr. Dog Performs "That Old Black Hole" on Conan

Dr. Dog - Be The Void
Dr. Dog - Be The Void by antirecords

Islands - A Sleep & A Forgetting

Mux Mool - Planet High School
Mux Mool’s Planet High School

Tennis - Young & Old

Fucked Up - "Year of the Tiger"

OK, serious question here: Does anyone on here really feel that the new SVE is as "epic" as all of our oligarch news sources would have us to believe? I listened to it, and found her singing a bit off, and although the arrangements and backing was OK the songs themselves I did not find compelling.

Could someone who has also actually heard the album engage in an adult conversation about this album? Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2012 11:33 AM

Screw the streams. If you google all these albums you can find hi quality download links to each and every one. That's funny, I guess Google is the biggest facilitator of copyright infringement out there. Yet somehow the authorities don't go after them.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2012 11:39 AM

1139 dude you're an idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2012 11:51 AM

@1139 seems to have forgotten everything that's happened re: google censoring over the last six months. google is already censored so it's auto-complete function doesn't direct you toward illegal downloads (you need to type in everything yourself)

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2012 11:53 AM

11:33, I've only listened to the new SVE once through and I enjoyed it. It didn't blow me away, but I have a feeling its going to be a grower. The production is smart, subtle and she seems to be writing more confidently.

That's my best attempt at adult conversation.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2012 12:02 PM

I've only heard one song from the new SVE, and I saw her live a couple of years ago, and she's alright, but I really don't know what the big deal is, or what separates her from a million other "sadcore" or singer-songwriter groups floating around the city.

But to be fair, I don't really care for that "style" or "sub-genre" and think it's kind of bullshit.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2012 12:08 PM

11:51, coming from such an intelligent person as yourself I will wear that comment as a badge of honor

11:53, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2012 12:13 PM

12:08, I'm not sure why you felt compelled to comment as you remove any validity from your comment by saying:
1. You've only heard one song off the new SVE
2. You saw her live once a couple of years ago
3. You don't care for that "style" or "sub-genre"

Not trying to be rude, I'm just confused why you were compelled to type anything given the above.

Anyway, I do agree with 12:02, I think it's a grower and I'm excited to see her do these songs live.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2012 12:28 PM

I streamed the new SVE once and really liked it, probably more than her earlier efforts. I was at the recent Merc show and thought it was excellent. The new tunes translate very well live, she is def more confident than ever, and her backing band is tight and communicating well musically. Her live shows are solid, plus it doesn't hurt that she's cute and charming.

If you don't like folky, singer/songwriter stuff, there really isn't anything to "get." You are not going to like it, period. With that said, I think she writes great songs, with a sort of salt-of-the-earth realness that is very honest and relatable. I also think if you are more of a rock music listener, this latest release will be the most accessible for you. It's grittier than her earlier stuff, has different textures, and a bunch of great slow burners. Just one man's opinion, of course.

That was pretty adult, I think.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2012 12:40 PM

Hey all, 11:33 here ~~

First off, thanks to 12:02, 12:08, 12:22, 12:40 for your help and comments (although 12:22 rode a little close to the edge of "adult" methinks ... anyway)

Second off, I can appreciate what you say about the "singer/songwriter" thing, and yeah I am more of a rock kinda fella (although I do love Elliott and Nick Drake and all). I guess I was expecting to be blown away after all the hype, and like I said it was fine but not at the "blown away" level, at all (one man's opinion). So, thanks and enjoy.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2012 12:55 PM

^ 12:28, not 12:22 (sorry)

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2012 12:56 PM

woah good thread

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2012 1:27 PM

Now, isn't having an intelligent conversation so much better than all that "pussy fight" nonsense elsewhere?

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2012 2:20 PM

Shhh. Don't tell anyone, this will quickly get tainted.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2012 2:43 PM

I've listened to half the new SVE so far, and while I like the more band oriented direction her songwriting seems to be going in, I'm already missing some of the more elaborate harmonies from Epic. I really loved how she made simple melodies broad and more interesting with some of her less-obvious harmony choices.
Also loving the adult conversation.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2012 2:54 PM

On a different subject, that Frankie Rose album is a snoozer! Couldn't keep my interest the whole way and harldy kept awake. Kind of a bummer, i was rooting for her.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2012 4:56 PM

really wanna check out tha frankie rose album. i thought tha know me single sounded fucking awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2012 5:08 PM

On the fence about that new Frankie Rose. She's getting some hype for about it, which is cool, but I'll hold off my personal judgement till I've heard it a couple more times.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2012 6:25 PM

I agree with the comments about SVE - I have listened to the album and it's just okay. She has talent but I find nothing new or exciting in her style and approach and I am utterly confused as to why she is getting so much hyperbolic praise and press. I saw Cate le Bon last night at the Mercury Lounge and she was really amazing. Her new album Cyrk displays a wonderful blend of pop / psych / folk / artiness that is truly refreshing to hear. It allows the music to rise above the usual morose singer-songwriter affectations that many people seem to fall for. It doesn't hurt that she has a much more dynamic voice than SVE as well. As I watched her show it struck me that she should be getting the press and exposure that other mediocre artists are seemingly getting. I understand that nothing is ever logical or fair in the music industry - but it frustrates me to see such wonderful and unique talent passed over for such safe, derivative music.

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2012 12:11 PM

space.cover.nice.

Posted by Visualmusic | February 12, 2012 10:41 AM

so glad we could get an update on the Ikea rock.

Posted by Anonymous | February 14, 2012 7:50 AM