Posted in music | pictures on March 19, 2012

photos by Amanda Hatfield

"Fun times at @brooklynvegan show last night. Shout out to @titus_ndronicus 4 saving the day. Best thin lizzy cover since Ted Leo." - Caged Animals

"Shouts out to Caged Animals from Hawthorne, NJ #973" - Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus @ Bar 96
Titus Andronicus

One night after our Daniel Johnston show at the Belmont, and after a full day of bands on three stages at "Hotel Vegan", we hosted our 2nd official showcase of SXSW 2012, on Wednesday night (March 14). The venue was Bar 96 on Austin's Rainey St., and the lineup loooked like this:

8pm: Caged Animals
9pm: 2:54
10pm: The Young
11pm: Screaming Females
12am: Andrew W.K. (full band)
1am: Titus Andronicus
NJ/Brooklyn's Caged Animals were great and had a decent crowd for being a relatively unknown band playing as doors opened to the six hour, mostly-badges-only show. Bill Pearis, who got to Austin right before this gig, wrote:
"You can sit for the first two songs, but then lets get up and dance" said Vincent Cacchione of Caged Animals who opened the set. He played affable host, running into the crowd and dancing (and hugging people). Nice mellow start to my week.
2:54, who had just come from being in NYC, followed, and clearly the recently signed to Fat Possum band has some serious buzz behind them because the room, which was actually an outdoor, astro-turfed backyard under a tent, filled up nicely for them. Many in the crowd could be heard talking in English accents. 2:54 call London home. Bill wrote:
After that it was 2:54 who have gotten exponentially better than when I saw them at Pianos last year, a much more confident band. I am a sucker for their dark, moody, shoegazy sound. Good set, though it was cut short a song by equipment problems.
2:54's 2011 Pianos show was, completely coinedentally, also with Caged Animals which I forgot until I looked up the link as I was writing this post.

Then Bill left to go catch some other bands, and Austin's Matador-signed The Young, who also played Hotel Vegan the next day, took the stage. Bill was definitely not alone in leaving after 2:54's set, though many were hanging around in the various nooks and crannies of this spacious venue that includes good food, and tables wrapped around an entire house-turned-into-a-bar, adjacent to the backyard stage area.

Screaming Females @ Bar 96
Screaming Females

That said, by the end of Screaming Females, the stage area was at capacity. The NJ 3-piece band led by pint-sized powerhouse Marissa Paternoster on guitar and vocals had the place rocking out and going nuts. The talent those three posess is truly mind-blowing, especially with a few Lone Stars in your system. I am positive that every single person at Bar 96 Wednesday night, if they weren't already, left a Screaming Females fan.

Andrew W.W. @ Bar 96
Andrew W.K.

Andrew W.K., complete with full band and Cherie Lily, took to the stage with chants of "It's Time to Party."

"He opened with "It's Time To Party," because it was time to party. He closed things out with a song that was also about partying. In the middle he urged us to party, and Cherie Lily, acting as the Fergie of the ensemble, handed out fist bumps. Sh*t, how do you even review an Andrew W.K. set? "He came out and was Andrew W.K. He continued to be Andrew W.K. until he left."" [UpRoxx]
Mosh pits, fist pumps, and stage diving ensued for the 30+ minutes of Andrew's set. I could see Titus Andronicus frontman Patrick Stickles watching from the crowd, and I felt bad that he needed to follow that act, not to mention Screaming Females. It was only after the show that I noticed he was thinking the same thing, and I think he said something similar from stage, including a bit about feeling that way every night on tour with the Scremales (at this point I was completely wiped out from going for so long with almost no sleep and knowing I needed ot do it again the next morning).

Luckily for Titus, not only was there still a big crowd for their post-AWK, 1am set, they opened with a rousing cover of "The Boys are Back in Town" that got people going again. It was an awesome night.

Here are some pictures and a video of the mayhem during AWK. More below...

Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus

AUX at SXSW: Watch Andrew W.K. party with a packed room to "She Is Beautiful"

Isn't Andrew W.K. pretty much past his prime now?

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2012 12:31 PM

if I never have to see another picture of that bony fuck from Titus Andronicus it will be too soon. That guy is literally THE WORST.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2012 12:46 PM

I think the worst part is his arm being raised like he's "rocking the fuck out". Walking the fuck out is too good for those guys.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2012 1:02 PM

Every time I've seen the Screaming Females, I'm really into it for about 15 minutes, then it gets old quick. She has skill, but the songs don't seem to grab me at all.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2012 1:08 PM

1:02 agreed. People need to start throwing tallboys at this son of a corporate lawyer, but still man of the people, phoney ass weasel. He is THE WORST.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2012 1:12 PM

Andrew WK looks like the Good Humor man. The bag of bones from TA looks like he could use some Good Humor.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2012 1:34 PM

I don't know this band Screeming Females, but I had a screeming female situation the other night, let me explain...
So I was out with my girlfriend out at some bar down in Williamsburg and I drank at least 4 pabst blue ribbons, so I was really drunk. She had a couple Pinot Noirs as well and we were feeling pretty crazy by the time four AM. came. As we walked home, we passed a bodega and figured eating something would sober us up a little bit, so we grabbed a container of "Tribe brand" and some pita triangles. However, when we got home and opened it, we realized the hommus was expired! Needless to say, my female started screaming!

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2012 1:41 PM

I thought we might be able to go one week without a TA headline, nope.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2012 1:59 PM

^ Transatlantic? Man, I hope Neal Morse and the gang go back into the studio soon!

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2012 2:14 PM

How many times can we look at the same pictures of that lead singer from Screaming Females face wearing the same damn Puritan dress and Ramones haircut screaming into a microphone!!!

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2012 2:58 PM

^I thought that singer was going for the Buster Brown haircut.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2012 3:05 PM

For some reason I thought that when the TA dude shaved the world's worst beard, he would become less annoying.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2012 3:13 PM

^ the dude really is the worst

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2012 3:21 PM

You guys just aren't cerebral enough to understand Titus Androginous. It just so cerebreal. This music is so important.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2012 6:23 PM

Posted by Souq | March 27, 2012 6:36 AM

Be easy on Patrick, dudes. Music is a lovely experience in every sense. He has every right to dance with the blind shoemaker. Nevertheless, TA definitely has to step up their live game. They kick ass when I see them at Maxwell's. but the second they get outdoors it is a joke. Don't want another yo la tengo, New Jersey! Now that is awful live music unless you're a fan, and I am not.

In any case, I am a fan of TA when I am listening to their cd. Both of which are absolutely enjoyable. Still though, step it up live, fellas and lady. You can do it! Kicked ass in the small venue, but the energy was not there at lolla last year. I was disappointed. Probably had a long bus ride on the way home, which blows, but still no excuse. Plenty of us would do anything short of commit a felony to be on stage wailing at lolla. Blow me away with your next album fellas and lady. If not, I guess I will just jam out to your oldies when you play Maxwell's.

Posted by Joey | April 8, 2012 10:49 PM

These are the dumbest comments I've ever read. What the fuck is wrong with people? Who the fuck gets into this shit? I want to call out all these 'haters' on TA and ask what the fuck are you doing? I really haven't delved too deep into Pat's personal life or anything, but why should what his father does serve any bearing on his musical output? Who cares. How is he a weasel for having thoughts, opinions and EMOTIONS? He is his own person. I'm sick of reading about people hating on them so much. I really don't get it. Who cares how boney his arm is or what his beard looked like, is that really what this is seriously about?? You people honestly disgust me.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2012 4:16 AM

i mean I know he tweets a lot... but come on.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2012 4:25 AM

Your blog looks nice, on the other hand it would be greater if you can use lighter colors as well as a professional design. This will ensure that a lot more readers come to check it out.Informative post by the way!

Posted by miniclip | August 29, 2012 3:45 AM

I like the band is the simplicity of its members, very good!

Posted by Acompanhantes Brasilia | April 23, 2013 9:07 PM