Posted in To Do | dance | music on March 15, 2012

Squarepusher

Squarepusher is in the USA for just one or two shows (and neither are at SXSW that I know about). He plays tonight (3/15) at Webster Hall in NYC. Tickets for the NYC show are still on sale. Falty DL opens the night.

"(and neither are at SXSW that I know about)"

Boo hoo.

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2012 10:55 AM

Falty also playing Poisson Rouge with MachineDrum later this month. Woop.

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2012 10:59 AM

Not sure how tickets are still available. Chance to hear new material should have made this show an instant sell-out...but I will admit that ticket price is a bit steep.

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2012 11:23 AM

19 bucks on stubhub. eat dick ticketmaster. Squarepusher is yr fking daddy.

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2012 12:20 PM

Gonna hit there around 8:30, hope there are still tickets left.

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2012 12:33 PM

If you can't spend $30 for Squarepusher's 1st US show in over 7 years, you shouldn't go!

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2012 12:41 PM

I love the idea of anyone giving a shit about Squarepusher in 2012.

"bom bop bop squee bop boom tick tack tic tiky tic boom bap tik tik"

Fucking garbage music for dilettante garbage people.

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2012 12:44 PM

12:41 I am gladly spending the $30, but I just remember paying a lot less in '04 when I saw him in DC. Please, it is totally worth the $30, especially it is his only US date and I am sure they need to offset costs to travel all the equipment. I hear he has really upped his LED show...so I am excited. Only mentioned the $30 because it is a lot for a casual listener...I am surprised it is not S/O because I would assume NYC has more followers than most cities. I know in '04 the Black Cat show was packed to the brim. Bowery also done a shit job promoting this show. No reason for tickets to still be avail.

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2012 1:08 PM

Also to 12:44: Plenty of mainstream symphonies and sinfoniettas have transcribed Jenkinson's music. So, people clearly still will care about his music in 2012 and probably 2044. Grow a set of ears please.

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2012 1:11 PM

108pm Totally understandable but we're in year 2012! Whenever I went to shows in DC at 930 club or Black Cat, it was obviously much cheaper than NY. As far as the only show, he's playing in SF for Creators Project with Yeah Yeah Yeahs:( And we got Justice this year poooo:(

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2012 1:15 PM

@ 1:11 PM "symphonies and sinfoniettas"?

LULZ...you mean where the "true" patrons of the arts go to hear live music? Try harder. You can't fail forever. Given a long enough timeline probability's on your side.

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2012 1:20 PM

True, NY does demand a higher price.

Yeah, my bad on saying only US date, I should rephrase to say only stand-alone date, as I guess this was added as a stop over to CP. Are those shows worth it or are they as clusterfucks as people claim?

Either way, very grateful the show changed from Shobaleader which was the initial announcement, to new material. Should be a killer show. Enjoy!

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2012 1:20 PM

It's good to have a booking agent. You can open up for your idols that way.

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2012 2:04 PM

If your idol "plays" a laptop onstage, you need a new idol, asswipe. Preferably one who doesn't produce their music with a mouse click.

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2012 3:04 PM

@ 3:04, need I direct you to the myriad shit "artists" covered by this blog that "play" instruments?

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2012 3:28 PM

Hey, at least they're doing SOMETHING. It's not like watching some "artist" play a video game while checking their email. Do you people also pay to watch grass grow or paint dry?

Stupid stupid fucks.

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2012 3:49 PM

Wow. This thread is a shit show.

But OK this video clearly shows you that he does not just sit around and hit buttons. Besides building, designing and performing with his own computer equipment, he is amazing bassist which meatiest parts of the music he performs live comes from. Always worth seeing him perform and he has amazing talent. See below.

Now Cold Cave? Yes, they are most likely updating their Career Builder profiles while on stage.

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2012 4:06 PM

Of you want to see an exciting laptop performance, go check out lustmord... He sometimes hits the space bar with his ring finger!!!

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2012 4:20 PM

You're trying to defend liking this shit and that's the video you link to? LOL ..."he does not just sit around and hit buttons"?

GODDAMNLUZ

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2012 4:25 PM

No, dude! He plays shitty slap bass too! Go fuck yourself!

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2012 4:28 PM

Yeah, asshole!!! Quit talking shit! I love Seinfeld and will gladly pay to see some laptop dork play variations on its theme song!

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2012 4:36 PM

Apparently the show JUST sold out or something, because I just called the Mercury Lounge box office number and they said it was sold out. Ah, well.

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2012 5:15 PM

His bass slapping sounded like an older food processor that's gone haywire!

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2012 12:13 AM

I just rolled me up a fatty to go with my full hi-ball glass of Bushmills. When I'm done with them, I'm gonna DL the new Grimes from Torrent Bay

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2012 9:14 AM

His music is understandably hard to digest.

It is extremely complex. It's ok to not like it (we all have personal tastes...when oh when will you realize this),

But simply dissing it as bleep blap blop music simply reveals that you do not have the capacity to understand the amazing amount of detail that goes into composing each bar that he writes.

It's one of those ignorant type of statements that sounds exactly like a right wing religious rant on science.

The guy is genius though.

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2012 10:31 AM

You know what's not hard to digest though? It's a fine Irish whiskey, been around since 1608, triple distilled .... yeah, that's right! It's Bushmills!

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2012 10:48 AM

I'll say! Tasty and goes down smooth and just right!

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2012 11:23 AM

Thank you for making some sort of sense, 10:31

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2012 11:49 AM

Also, thank you for letting me troll you.

"When oh when" (sic) were you going to realize this?

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2012 1:27 PM

The guy is genius though.

Posted by Bezaat | March 25, 2012 11:25 AM

I like the expression he has on his face

Posted by jordon | August 4, 2013 3:48 PM