Posted in music | pictures on March 27, 2012

photos by Dana (distortion) Yavin, words by Rachel Kowal

Fiona Apple

A long line of hopefuls extended down the block outside the Bowery Ballroom Monday night for Fiona Apple's second sold-out show in New York. (The first was Friday night at the Music Hall of Williamsburg.) Given Apple's reluctance to perform and the long gap of silence since her last album (7 years), seeing her perform was surreal - especially since she opted to skip Terminal 5 in favor of more moderately sized venues.

Say what you will of her music or her decision to tour and record again, Apple's impact on the alternative scene, and really on an entire generation of female music fans and musicians, should not be downplayed. In a world rife with Sarah Mclachlans and Natalie Merchants, artists like PJ Harvey and Fiona Apple helped to establish a much-needed alternative - something that wasn't quite punk, mainstream, precious, or sugarcoated. Her lyrics were dark, intimate, and deeply personal. Guys wanted to date her. Girls wanted to be her. The pressure was on.

As she approached the mic, Apple visibly shook. "Yes! 1996!" Someone cried out behind me. And as if in on the joke, Apple wore her long, straight hair pulled back with a scrunchie. Accompanied by a competent but low-profile four-piece backing band (which included opener Blake Mills), Apple didn't waste anytime with a slow build, opting instead to open with the punchy "Fast As You Can."

With only a mic stand to hide behind, Apple seemed ready to explode and after giving a few tugs to her scarf, pulled it off, and began to whip it around, sending glittering dust particles into the white spotlight.

After the opening song, she walked over to the piano, took a few gulps from a ceramic mug, then marched back to the mic, shaking her head. "Ok. I was going to say this to myself," she quickly mumbled. "But I thought it'd be interesting for you to hear what I was going to say to myself. Ok. I don't want to go through this whole fucking show where it's like six songs into it, and I'm finally relaxed. I'm just going to skip that part."

Though her voice exuded an aggressive confidence, her wild eyes and stilted speech sent a different message, one of deep vulnerability. But the ecstatic crowd (who sang along to the majority of the set) was quick to forgive her nervous ticks. "THANK YOU FOR COMING BACK, FIONA!" came one cry. "Thank you for wanting me back," Apple replied.

To reward the crowd of long-time fans, Apple's set (which was nearly identical to what she played on Friday night, save for the second to last song) was heavily weighted with crowd pleasers (yes, she played "Criminal" and "Paper Bag"). But she also threw in a couple of new songs and covers, including a lovely rendition of the old Conway Twitty song, "It's Only Make Believe."

We posted one set of pictures from the Bowery show this morning. Here is a second. More them with the setlist below...

Blake Mills

Valentine
Sleep To Dream
Extraordinary Machine
Every Single Night
Carrion
Criminal
Across the Universe (Beatles cover)
It's Only Make Believe (Conway Twitty cover)

haha blake mills selling cassete tapes

that is a very cool looking photo pass though.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2012 3:38 PM

Fiona linked these vids on her facebook and official website:

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2012 3:42 PM

Her set at Governors Ball this summer will certainly be interesting.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2012 3:45 PM

@342 no she didn't, i'm looking at her facebook page right now.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2012 3:46 PM

Again with the long album title? WHAT is the DEAL with THAT?

Posted by Jerry | March 27, 2012 3:49 PM

I never considered our world to be rife with Natalie Merchants before. Also, Liz Phair may have had an impact on the alternative scene, since, you know, Exile in Guyville came out three years before Tidal.

Posted by dunston | March 27, 2012 3:50 PM

@349 it's cuz she's quirky and fun like zooey deschanel.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2012 3:51 PM

Fiona needs to eat some chicken and fish. And hummus since I'm sure the hummus dude will post in here LOL. She's soooo skinny. I mean I guess she always was, but she was younger so you didn't really notice it. I'm not being mean, she doesn't look healthy or slim, she looks gaunt.

Posted by D | March 27, 2012 4:01 PM

@3:42 Talk about a shameless self-promoter... Tsk Tsk...

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2012 4:02 PM

Guys did not want to "date" her. They wanted to bang the shit out of her, give her a fake phone number, and pray that the psycho doesn't stalk them.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2012 4:12 PM

@409 the point is if people wanted fucking fiona apple youtube videos they would go on youtube and search for 'fiona apple.' or they would be a fan of her facebook page and the video would have been posted to their wall. or they would have seen it on fiona apple's website. don't sling your weak shit up in here.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2012 4:15 PM

@ 3:46, look at the latest link in her fb page and compare it's title to the link here. It's the same format and the username is the same, you illiterate douche.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2012 4:15 PM

Leave whoever posted the YT link to Fiona Apple alone. The comments are about her, so whoever posting a link to videos of her are appropriate.

What I said probably isn't to some of you haha, but again I'm not trying to be mean, she looks gaunt.

Posted by D | March 27, 2012 4:23 PM

@415 the point is we get what you're doing. she didn't link to that video; she linked to another video from your series of 12 videos from that concert (so @346 is correct in what he said).

you're just here trying to get your views up for the videos that she didn't link to on her facebook page. you're not here to share content with people who adore fiona apple, because anyone who gives a shit has already seen your videos thanks to Fiona Apple's facebook page. you're like some sort of asshole youtube solicitor.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2012 4:24 PM

That's Sebastian Strindberg from Soul Coughing playing bass..

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2012 4:33 PM

probably makes money off the number of views

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2012 4:38 PM

4:24 & 4:38pm So what? If I check out a video on YT and am entertained, cool if whoever posted the vids makes money.

In fact, I'd love if YT had a donation button where you could give whatever amount of money from the minimum amount to a video poster.

Blame Fiona Apple's management and the venue for allowing these videos to be shot, if you're still asshurt about someone allegedly posting vids of her show to get more hits and make more money off her which I don't see here (you do, whatever.) I doubt Fiona Apple is losing any sleep. If this person/these people were admitted, that's on FA's management and the venue.

Posted by D | March 27, 2012 4:54 PM

Why would anyone want to "date" Fiona Apple? Clearly she's a bunny boiler.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2012 4:56 PM

Oh shit, Alex Forrestor in Fatal Attraction reference LOL.

Posted by D | March 27, 2012 5:01 PM

for readers that don't come to BV very often know that the person who posted the links, the insults that followed, and then the alleged taper who is complaining are in all likelihood the same person posting here in BV to get attention. This is just a sad sad individual, i do enjoy laughing at him/her though.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2012 5:16 PM

heroin is a hell of a drug

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2012 5:19 PM

you people are sad!
Fiona is fine and she look okay last nite.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2012 5:45 PM

how much longer until she goes nutzo?

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2012 6:12 PM

Nutso Ipso Facto

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2012 6:21 PM

New to the site. It seems like people have a bad attitude?

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2012 6:38 PM

Her skin looks old and grubby. So much for the heath benefits of veganism.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2012 7:48 PM

First of all i know who this person (hellspawn whatever) posting the YT video is. I saw them last night and recognized them as the same person who posted the Radiohead video from Roseland in that position.
This person is quite the moron. The videos suck both angle wise and sound wise. Thinking they are so cool cause they are in the front row. Worry not though, next time i catch them at a show i am gonna get close and punch them in the fucking face and smash their camera.

Annoying little piece of shit.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2012 11:24 PM

Me too

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 12:24 AM

7:48 i am pretty sure she still has an eating disorder which is why she looks about 20 years older than she is

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 2:10 AM

think she gags on it and tears up? probably. always took her for a girl you could keep on her knees and pinch her nose closed while she gags on it for a few seconds. kinda like KBK....but at least with KBK you can slap her big tits a little while she sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 2:31 AM

Hey, I am sorry these people have ruined your lovely collection of photographs with their idiotic comments. I know taking them was like maneuvering an obstacle course, yet they turned out absolutely fantastic. Bravo.

Sincerely,
The blonde girl just behind you at the show.

(PS, in the first vid you can see the shot of her reflection in the piano :) )

Posted by Erika | March 28, 2012 2:46 AM

Lots of self promoting mother fuckers posting here, and no one getting this girl a sammich which is what she need.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 5:40 AM

How can anyone possibly think she looks older than she is? If anything, she looks younger.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 7:24 AM

bitch look like shit, straight up
she need a big plate o' shrimp or sumphin

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 7:40 AM

She looks great for her age...she's 55 right?

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 8:32 AM

Man, how can vegans be so mean?

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 8:44 AM

Was the Occupy dude who killed a hipster at the Bedford Station a vegan? That fella was mean.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 9:10 AM

She toured with Nickel Creek a mere 4 years ago. Do your homework, BV.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 11:06 AM

@5:40 AM Lots of people are shit talking, prattling away it seem presumably because of their inadequate penis size.

Erica : your post is one of the more relevant post on here, well written and thanks for sharing your vids - close and pretty good sound!

Posted by Ryan | March 28, 2012 11:17 AM

Ryan is a sensitive male. I'm guessing it's because he has a large penis.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 11:28 AM

@1117 who the heck is erica?

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 11:28 AM

oh, she's the girl who linked to her photography website. word.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 11:30 AM

Anyone know the title of the Blake Mills EP he's selling on the tour?

Posted by Andrew | March 28, 2012 11:34 AM

@1134 break mirrors and winter song

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 12:19 PM

I did a google for Erika and she is a hot ticket boy. Some young man is a lucky guy.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 12:29 PM

seven out of 45 comments actually contributed something.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 12:35 PM

Sad that none of the comments on this supposed music site have anything to do with her performance. I didn't attend, but to those that did, how did she sound? Was her band tight? Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 3:16 PM

@3:16

Hi, yeah that's why I added the link to the post I put up about the performance ... it was amazing, I shot a few of the songs to share. I added it for that reason and because I was talking to the photographer who worked really hard to get these shots (this crowd was a little difficult to shoot around) and Fiona moving from front stage to piano made it difficult, but her photos turned out really great!

Also we were talking about the shot of her reflected in the piano as she played, so I provided the link to reference that.

Shameless self promotion as @5:40 AM said was not really on my mind, but more to share what a great show it was. It is sad all the crap people have posted on here. Get a life assholes.

If you click my name in this comment you can read my sentiments about the night.

Sorry you missed the show ...

Thanks @Ryan and uh, also Anon, guess I've never been called a hot ticket before ...

Posted by Erika | March 28, 2012 4:13 PM

My parents paid a lot of money for my art degree, so I am going to post as often as I feel like.

Posted by Erika | March 28, 2012 4:33 PM

You're welcomed Erika (I'm "Anon"). Hope I get to meet you in person some day.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 4:40 PM

Actually "Erika @4:33" I pay a lot of money for my art degree, and still to this day am paying it off. No one pays for me but me.

And I have used what I've learned being a barely surviving independent artist since I moved away from home as a teen to start my own business helping other artists and designers launch and manage their own business. So yes, I can post whenever I want, because I work for myself.

Ugh, and now I am off topic. Please people who are here just to anonymously post slanderous and inappropriate things, get off the sword, and go do something positive for society.

Anyone else, this was a phenomenal show, see her if you can. Fiona Apple pours her soul into each note.

Posted by Erika | March 28, 2012 4:49 PM

Erika wasted all that money on an art degree and she still doesn't know what "slanderous" means. A real college would have been a better investment in her future.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 5:50 PM

Erika, you are taking the bait too easily girlfriend. Ya need to not feed the trolls. A hungry troll is a bored troll who goes back under the bridge; a troll being fed is emboldened and increasingly aggressive. Stop before the troll starts getting personal.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 6:11 PM

Although this is one of those moments better to just say, forget it ...

Slandering someone is to convey a false and malicious statement or report about someone; with the intent to discredit or malign ... these comments are riddled with slanderous words regarding Fiona Apple, and someone claiming to be posting as me, and linking back to my website at 4:33 PM makes the false statement that my parent's paid for my college education attempting to imply first, that I was raised by two parents which I was not, I was largely raised by my immigrant grandmother, and my father has been out of my life since I was a young girl (uh, TMI, but fukit), and secondly, that I was afforded the opportunity of attending college without cost to myself but instead my "parents" footing the bill, implying that I may come from an advantaged background, discrediting me as some (on a limb here) hipster snot.

So yes, all of the above scenarios illustrate slanderous behaviour. But you are right, to many degrees Liberal Arts Studies is not necessary to the artist, make art if you feel it. I wanted to be the first person in my family to attend college after high school, so I chose art school.

Have a nice fucking life freaks, enjoy the show.

Erika

Posted by Erika | March 28, 2012 6:15 PM

Words of wisdom posted in sync with my own. No worries Anon, my skin is thick, at least the crude comments are off Fiona, horrible things to say have been said. I wonder what THEIR Mother's or Grandmother's would think of them saying such things.

Off, and intend to never check this stream again.

Salute!

Posted by Erika | March 28, 2012 6:18 PM

*Mothers, Grandmothers :: hasty typing leads to embarrassing grammatical errors.

Posted by Erika | March 28, 2012 6:19 PM

Well, this ought to be "good".
Don't say that I didn't warn you Erika.
If I were you, I would not check back to this page. But then again, if I were you I would also meet the guy writing this for dinner. But that's just me.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 6:22 PM

All you need is Psych 101 to analyze the little damaged Erika. First if you actually believe she is not checking this thread again, well then you are an even bigger idiot than she is.

Oh Erika, after your little diatribe above i understand your connection to the queen of damaged freak girls-Fiona! You stay awake at night listening to her lyrics over and over feeling their deep meaning in every inch of your soul.

Also, whoever said Erika was a hot ticket needs to have their head examined.I mean she is def ok and worthy of fucking but hot, cmon now. That's like saying Fiona looks like a 10 in those pictures above or even a 7.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 6:25 PM

"Slandering someone is to convey a false and malicious statement or report about someone; with the intent to discredit or malign"

Poor stupid Erika doesn't know the difference between slander and libel.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 6:41 PM

"I chose art school."

Wow, anyone else shocked? Never saw that one coming.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 7:11 PM

Definition for slanderous:
Web definitions:
(used of statements) harmful and often untrue; tending to discredit or malign.
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Morons. She was right the first time. Be surprised if that fool even finished college.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 7:42 PM

She was not correct, 7:42. She's a moron just like you are.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 7:54 PM

LOL at the dummies who think you can slander someone by writing comments on a blog. Even a dictionary can't save these fools from looking stupid.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 9:33 PM

nice picture for fiona apple. Its look like digital camera it's..

Posted by Kumpulan Cara Tips | March 28, 2012 10:38 PM

Lol losers thinking using the adjective "slanderous" is the same as claiming slander. Wth is this shit?

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 10:39 PM

Buncha stupid ass trolls talking shit about that of which they know nothing. You all make my hair hurt you are so stupid. Here is one for you - go fuck yourselves. Maybe you will fuck some intelligence into the concrete that fills your heads, although that is unlikely since concrete is inanimate and not capable of possessing intelligence, you stupid fucking twats.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 10:59 PM

LOL at 10:39. Could you leave room for milk in my coffee, please?

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 11:10 PM

10:59 is furious

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 11:15 PM

In all fairness there was grammatical and tense mistake in my post, ie pay instead of paid, parents with an apostrophe s ... I was in transit, on my phone and heated about someone lifiting my name and site to write jerk comments about me. It's a bit odd. And yeah I am a bit touchy about my upbringing so that added to the fire. Not to mention the horribly unnessary things said within these comments about the subject at hand. They are blatantly and unnecessarily offensive.

And the guy that determined I was merely fuckworthy but clearly, c'mon, not hot (btw while we are being nitty gritty about semantics, "hot ticket" does not really convey the same connotation as the "hot" you and your gaming buddies use to refer to Laura Croft, so you know (my point of reference may be dated)) was right; I did check this again. Btw, you're creepy for googling pictures of me ...
What a joke.

And some other guy (same guy?) who crucified (I am sure you would prefer I use  the word "chastise" as you are not physically nailing me to a cross ... or is that to loosely figurative too?) me for saying the comments were slanderous and inappropriate was right too I suppose, libelous might have been more apropos. So sorry I did not contact you in advance to be my editor, though doing that would have proved difficult as you sling your insults safely behind an anonymous pseudonym.

Hey people, I am sorry I mistook this as a forum to discuss music. What an ass of me to share commentary on the show. I will remember from here out that the sole purpose of this blog is the berating women and passing uninformed judgement by fukwits.
Oh, and a few trolls.

Cheers.

Posted by Erika | March 29, 2012 1:12 AM

*again in transit, again mobile, again errors. c'est la vie.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 1:17 AM

> I wanted to be the first person in my family to attend college after high school, so I chose art school.

Art School/high school, what's the difference? Art school is not college. Now where is my espresso?

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 2:53 AM

"Now where is my espresso"

Silence, sausage. If there are no pizzas for delivery right now, you are supposed to clean the bathrooms. Unless you want me to report your bad attitude to your PO, again ....

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 5:21 AM

eating disorders are just as virulent, just as dangerous, just as lethal as drug abuse. she is obviously in the throes of the disease, and all of you talking about how good she looks are just vipers, leaches milking the girl of her life for your entertainment. someone needs to stand up and scream to her that she needs to help.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 9:33 AM

^... that she needs to get some help

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 9:34 AM

So Ericka came back after all. Stupid bitch can't get enough of a beating.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 2:37 PM

3:16 here. Thanks for the the vids Erika. Sorry about all the, well, you know....

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 9:04 PM

I can respect anyone who can make a living without anyone's help. If you can make art and support yourself doing it, Erika, more power to you. It's clear you are new to the comment sections of blogs - ignore them. It sounds like you legitimately have better things to do with your time, like make money making art.

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2012 7:50 AM

"I reeeeealy should have had some hummus, then I wouldn't be so plugged up"

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2012 8:05 AM

looks like the photo editor had the day off....AGAIN.

quality>quantity

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2012 1:03 PM

^... that she needs to get some help

Posted by Bezaat | April 5, 2012 10:10 AM

Omega 3 fatty acids in salmon, mackerel, sardines, etc. will go someways for Fiona but the fundamental problem is that she's Sinead O'Connor crazy. Her hard drive is off kilter.

Posted by Stevart | May 28, 2012 9:44 AM