Posted in metal | movies | music on March 22, 2012

by BBG

Salad Days

Featuring appearances from names like Ian Mackaye, Henry Rollins, Dave Grohl, Alec Mackaye, and more, the documentary is scheduled for a 2013 release. Check out a pair of teasers from the movie below and look out for it next year.

In related news, as discussed Bad Brains: Band in DC, a documentary that details the band's roots in the DC hardcore scene and beyond, played at SXSW last week. So far, no plans to screen it in NYC but you can catch the band at one of two now-sold-out NYC shows.

The Irving Plaza show will ALSO feature an appearance from DC's Scream who played a show at Knitting Factory in 2010.

Bad Brains are also playing Bonnaroo this year.

Salad Days: The DC Punk Revolution teaser #1

Salad Days: The DC Punk Revolution teaser #2

Bad Brains: Band in DC

Pussies

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 10:19 AM

You teenie boppers should watch this, you just might learn something.

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 10:20 AM

10:19 acts tough anonymously, would STFU in fear if ever around some old DC hardcore guys. You epitomize d-bags to an extreme. Well done sissy, well done

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 10:33 AM

Basically what 10:33 said.

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 10:44 AM

I love how all the original DC punk guys look like middle-aged software designers.

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 10:53 AM

Oh hell yeah! I'll watch the shit out of this.

Posted by My Real Fake Name | March 22, 2012 10:54 AM

This looks amazing! Dischord has put out some of the most influential bands ever: Faith, Void, Soulside, Embrace, Fugazi, Minor Threat etc...

I still wish Verbal Assault was from DC.

Seriously, how can you fuck with that?

You can't.

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 11:19 AM

The Bad Brains movie sucked.

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 11:30 AM

Pls check out these other great punk docs...

WE WERE FEARED
BYO : LET THEM KNOW
THE OTHER F WORD

Posted by Blag | March 22, 2012 11:35 AM

10:19 - Don't say things that would make bands you listen to hate you. Grow up fool

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 11:46 AM

"Dischord has put out some of the most influential bands ever"

Dischord is a great label, but your assertion is asinine. I know that you feel strongly about it, but the facts are your enemy here - for instance, Chess Records >>>>> Dischord in influence and level of consistent talent (that's just one example off the top of my head). I admire your passion, but it should be tempered - Dischord was a great label ... period.

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 11:47 AM

11:46 is speaking for entire bands now, not just the BV community. That's great, 11:46, but I guess I missed the vote where you were elected as representative for me, my band, or anyone else. What day way that, so I can go check the meeting minutes?

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 11:51 AM

Dischord still is a great label. They still press/release records.

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 11:56 AM

11:51 - your band sucks!

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 12:44 PM

Someone's bringing up CHESS RECORDS relative to a conversation about Dischord?? Come on, asshole, you know what he meant. You don't have to be a dick about it.

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 12:48 PM

^ You are the dick, asshole, Go fuck yourself.

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 12:49 PM

12:48 = you fail! try again!

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 1:06 PM

11:51 - Hey it's all good man. Nobody cares about you, your opinion, or your band.

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 1:08 PM

What, did someone say something? Around 1:08 or so? Yeah, I didn't see anything either. Probably just some pussy fart, left over from last night's gang bang.

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 1:34 PM

I love hardcore, but its the scene that focuses so much on the glory of the past, that it shoots itself in the foot for actual progresssion. hm

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 1:46 PM

Agreed 1:34....your mom has been pretty gassy up front lately.

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 2:07 PM

^ not even the least bit imaginative or funny, child. if you are going to troll, you should at least learn how to do it right so you don't come off like a 3rd grade special ed. shit-for-brains. that is, unless you really are one ... which would actually explain a lot.

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 2:55 PM

Oh yeah, we'll my cock is bigger than yours!!! Ha! Take that (literally!)!

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 3:24 PM

^ yup, 3rd grade special ed. shit-for-brains alright.
LULZ

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 3:51 PM

Relax 12:49 why are you getting so Dag Nasty about things? You act like the other posters are a Minor Threat to you; or are you just one of those Meatmen who can't control himself? If so, maybe you should seek out some Government Issue'd pills to calm you down.

Your Friend,
Brian Baker

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 3:53 PM

"^ yup, 3rd grade special ed. shit-for-brains alright.
LULZ"

Apparently the thought that my comment was a goof on all you dweebs arguing about trivial nonsense didn't occur to you, eh?

I thought hipsters (you might not want to give yourself away THAT easily what with the trademark hipster "LULZ") were supposed to smart enough to "see what we did there".

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 4:13 PM

you're all a bunch of douchbags who are worthless

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 4:25 PM

^ Pretty much.

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 4:48 PM

If the internet had been around in the 80s, the scene documented in this film probably never would have happened. Instead, those kids would've wasted their creative years talking bullshit on music blogs like this. I submit this comment thread as Exhibit A.

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 4:59 PM

Ok, here's three problems I have with this documentary:

1. Since when did most of the Dischord contingent outside of the Dag Nasty guys care about "harDCore" punk (or hardcore punk period) after 1984 or anything outside their own thing and what "harDCore" formed 1985-90 besides Swiz (whose singer was the og Dag Nasty vocalist)? I love Soulside and Ignition - they were hands down the best of the DC bands who formed in 1985-90 besides Swiz and Kingface - but they were not hardcore bands, they just played hardcore shows. Dag Nasty stopped being a hardcore band with Field Day (they should've changed the name by then.) Seeing clips of Brian Baker, Bobby Sullivan, and HR speaks volumes about how they felt about hardcore punk back in the day: they were three of the very few who embraced it. Ian MacKaye and Henry Rollins not being the featured clips speaks volumes about how they felt about hardcore punk back in the day: they didn't embrace it as much or they'd be the featured people.

2. Dischord with the above aforementioned exceptions (among a precious few) was by and large exclusionary or at least insular. How did they not put out ANYTHING by Swiz or Kingface? Cuz those two weren't down, that's why. They didn't put out records for DC bands only - a common misconception - they put out records for their friends bands' only which is cool, more power to them, but they were their own scene, not part of the hardcore punk scene, not by 1984 and that's alot of time to be apart from it (60% of the decade.)

3. Dischord by and large was snobbish. Ian & Co. had their noses turned up to hardcore by 1985. Ditto for Henry Rollins who I'm sure is no doubt in this doc. Or is he? They shunned hardcore punk including dancing, stagediving etc. and made it a point to not play with hardcore bands with their new bands. 'Don't want people thinking they're hardcore, we can't have that oh no. I'll say it: they are the ones responsible for people hating hardcore punk which in turn created more factions and it spilled over into the scene. When Fugazi blew up Ian did nothing save keep putting out records by his pals' bands when he could've easily put back into the harDCore scene he would've been nothing without. Those Fort Reno shows were glorified Fugazi annual DC appearances with ZERO hardcore bands.

So you know what? Fuck this documentary save Baker, Sullivan, HR, and whoever else truly embraced hardcore punk during and after so-called "Revolution Summer". You, DC, by and large, ditched hardcore by 1984, so I'm not buying your last cashgrab. Like I'm not still not buying that "hardcore died by/in 1986" piece of shit "American Hardcore". Fuck off and fuck you. You too, Steve Blush, the asshole who threw shows at Don Hill's and Coney Island High but booked maybe one or two hardcore bands on them.

I respect what Dischord did for hardcore punk 1981-84 but I don't wanna hear about them talk about 1984-90 cuz they have no right to say anything about it when they supported zero hardcore punk bands in or around DC like Swiz.

Posted by D | March 22, 2012 5:03 PM

"3. Dischord by and large was snobbish. Ian & Co. had their noses turned up to hardcore by 1985. Ditto for Henry Rollins who I'm sure is no doubt in this doc. Or is he? They shunned hardcore punk including dancing, stagediving etc. and made it a point to not play with hardcore bands with their new bands. '

umm, maybe they grew up? Try it...

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 5:24 PM

D, stepping up to the plate, hitting a solid double to the right field wall. One on and no outs.

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 5:24 PM

5:24

Oh, so being into hardcore punk is immature? If so what are you doing replying to me/in comments about a hardcore documentary?

BTW Fugazi formed in 1987, three years or so after Minor Threat broke up, so Ian "grew up" in the span of three or more years or less? Puh-leeze.

And you must be calling Henry Rollins immature / a manchild / a manboy since he hasn't had a 9 to 5 job since he was serving ice cream cones at the Haagen Daaz in Georgetown (NWDC) when he was a teenager.

Thanks for proving my point / displaying the attitude I'm sure 99% of the Dischord crowd and their progeny have towards hardcore punk.

You people better come sharp if you're gonna say shit to me.

Someone drive me in haha.

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 5:42 PM

Alright! I smell a Pussy Fight coming on!

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 5:50 PM

Oh yeah (5:24)

Brian Baker is an overgrown child who needs to grow the fuck up cuz he's still playing in Bad Religion, a band who formed in 1980, full-time.

Ditto for Dr.Greg Graffin ("Dr." cuz he's a holds a PhD in Paleozoology) since he's been playing in Bad Religion nonstop since 1980. He should get a fucking honorary B.S. in Sociology or Anthropology (his pick) on doing Bad Religion alone - call it a "life experience" credit.

Posted by D | March 22, 2012 5:53 PM

* P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T * P U S S Y - F I G H T *

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 5:55 PM

I fight for pussy? No need cuz I got my girl :P

Posted by D | March 22, 2012 6:13 PM

@D - I don't agree with everything you say but judging from your posts in this and a few other hardcore related threads, you're obviously pretty versed in, and opinionated about, U.S. hardcore. Just curious...ever play in a band?

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 10:12 PM

Hey, didn't one of those guys in Milli Vanilli go by the name "D"? Is that you, D?

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 10:19 PM

@D 5:03 - some of what you say is just straight up not true. You're reading too much into things. I don't know why Kingface never did a record on Dischord, but they may have just not wanted to. Mark Sullivan and Ian MacKaye apparently grew up together and are still good friends. Same with Swiz. They did records on Sammich, which was run by Amanda MacKaye, Ian's sister. So were they not "down" or "friends" or "part of the scene" or something either?

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 10:26 PM

"Oh, so being into hardcore punk is immature?"

It's not immature if you're a teenager...

Posted by Anonymous | March 22, 2012 10:56 PM

10:12pm - My being in a band or not is irrelevant. I'm this if I say yes and that if I say no.

10:19pm - Milli Vanilli LOL. Nah sorry bro/sis he ain't me / I ain't him.

10:26pm - Just because Ian and Mark may have been and still be friends and Ian's lil' sis put out Swiz doesn't mean Kingface and Swiz were down with the Dischord crowd. Neither band got support from Ian/Dischord in any tangible way - records, shows, tour slots, etc.
Swiz will probably tell you they were outsiders in DC. Kingface was too loose and fancy-free for the uptight Ian and his cadre of like nerdasses. The classic "Cool guys but I'm not putting them out."

10:56pm - Hey jerkoff hardcore is not "immature" save to you and your ilk. We get it you ditched hardcore whenever or you were never into it yet you read an entry about it and feel the need to call me "immature". How about YOU grow up?

Posted by D | March 23, 2012 1:02 AM

Let me clarify something about what I've written.

I have no problem with Dischord as a record label as I love alot of stuff they put out up to about 1988-89. I even liked Fugazi's debut record and the first Jawbox 7". I do, however, have a problem with people who made it a point to divorce themselves from hardcore collectively after they were the ones who created alot of problems in it like violence and straightedge (problems in that they created segregation in the scene.)

Dischord Records and their circle of friends led by Ian MacKaye were these people.

I resent them, especially Ian, because they came off like a bunch of people who decided once they hit age X it was time to ditch hardcore and have had little or nothing to do with hardcore save intermittently reissue some shit cuz they forgot how to put out records and the new shit isn't selling. I mean do what you want with your life, but you don't say shit about hardcore/DCHC in 2012 when you left it in 1983/84. You had many, many years to say something, DO something. Too late now, unless you show some support of DCHC today. I don't want to hear your war stories and reminiscences, I really don't. I'm tired of all this fucking memory lane shit. Put out a record by Give or some other DC/MD/VA band or fuck off. Fuck ya Lungish reissues or release of some do-nothing band who maybe plays 2-4 shows a year cuz they're ya boys/girls.

Look at The Black Cat in NWDC. Owned and run by Chris Thomson of Ignition. That place has barely supported hardcore punk. Fuck him and that place. The 9:30 Club never books hardcore shows. Fuck them, too.

Posted by D | March 23, 2012 1:38 AM

LungFish.

Posted by D | March 23, 2012 1:46 AM

^D is the poet lauriete of sausage. Dude makes 70k a year and lives in a storage shed in Queens that he makes his muffin top girlfriend chip in $750 a month to rent. Homeboy cares about music! (lulz) He's typing out novels...

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 1:53 AM

1:53am

What's with your preoccupation with "sausage"? Homosexual/closet homosexual much?

What's with your preoccupation with my yearly income, place of residence, borough I live in, and rent? In another comments section after one I posted in over a week ago? Stalker LOL.

Posted by D | March 23, 2012 2:06 AM

^Profesor D

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 2:09 AM

1:53am

You seem familiar. I think you're one of the hipsters I butt-raped (I love ass-raping snarky little bitchboys). Oh, the sounds that came out of you when my 8.5 rock hard inches of Gay Aryan Manhood ravaged your unwilling manhole. Are you still bleeding? "Like yah, there's a non-ironic cock pounding your ass!"

BUECK DICH! BEFEHL ICH DIR!
SIEG HEIL!

Butch "Nicky" Craine
Gay Aryan Skinheads (G.A.S.H.) Worldwide

Posted by Butch from Gay Aryan Skinheads (G.A.S.H.) Worldwide | March 23, 2012 5:01 AM

^ LOL wow, talk about homosexual projection and preoccupation. And not even funny or insightful. Sadly, just reinforces "sausage" stereotypes. Nice job, 5:01.

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 7:10 AM

Sausages are preoccupied with man meat, 7:10. They like to feel hot sweaty male bodies rubbing up against them at their gatherings. Barely concealed gay orgy.

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 7:37 AM

@D 1:38 The Black Cat is owned by Dante from Ignition, not Chris Thompson. But you're right about this: aside from employing a lot of young people in the hardcore scene, there have never been many hardcore shows at the Black Cat. By the way I've always heard the Dischord people tell the story in every other of the tons of books and documentaries that already exist about this, it wasn't about hitting a certain age. It was that the scene got too violent and straight edge got warped into the militant thing, so they all just literally said "let's just start a different scene. They can have their hardcore scene. It's not for us, so we'll just start our own." It's easy to see how that can come off as elitist, but it's also like, at a certain point, who cares?

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 9:07 AM

Ian MacKaye recorded the first Kingface 12", so I don't know what this guy is talking about.

He almost comes across like a European guy who's just making stuff up second-hand based upon what "U.S. hardcore" books he's read, or something.

Posted by Dave | March 23, 2012 9:45 AM

^D is delusional. You should have heard him ranting about Murphy's Law in the Sham 69 thread. Not only is he delusional, he's loose with the facts. Not only is he delusional and loose with the facts, he apparently thinks it's 1985 and people still care about hardcore. On top of all that, he's 40 and is very proud of himself for figuring out how to make $38hr in NYC. D is a sad little man.

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 10:24 AM

Let D Smoke

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 10:28 AM

D is a wack job

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 11:03 AM

Dude you are as preoccupied with D as the sausages are with homosexuality and men's anatomy. Give it a rest. D has as much right to speak as you.

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 11:14 AM

^i'm w/ 11:14. D is an amazingly entertaining moron. Hearng about his lifestyle is straight lulz.

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 11:17 AM

D = Arctic Monkey Guy

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 11:38 AM

^ maybe .... maybe ..... has anyone ever seen them post in 2 different threads at the same time?

Hey D - what section of NYC do you live in? (no address, obviously, just the neighb)

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 12:06 PM

D is not Arctic Monkeys guy. I have read D threaten to fight anyone on this board. Different dude.

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 12:12 PM

^haven't I meant

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 12:13 PM

^I think he has. He is sure a fan of calling everyone else a pussy and a bitch. I think D lives in Queens.

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 12:15 PM

1:38pm Chris Thomson opened it with Dante, so from what you're telling me Dante became the sole proprietor. Two former hardcore kids open a nightclub and don't support hardcore pssshhh. Right, the Dischord crowd wanted to do their own thing at a certain point, fair enough, but for them to say it was because of violence and straightedge, well that is disingenous on their part considering they brought violence and straightedge into the scene. Ian invented straightedge and I defy him to name a single '80s band from or around DC who was militant about the edge besides his band. Dischord were not chill people who lived and let live. Ian certainly wasn't. Ian was arguably the first toughguy on the DC scene (if not first then second after Garfield/Rollins.)

They blanket judged every hardcore band out there and have done so ever since after they decided hardcore wasn't viable anymore cuz most hardcore bands from DC/MD/VA from 1984 on have not been proponents of violence and/or straightedge. I honestly can't think of a single thug band from those states in the entire history of hardcore, not one.

9:45pm So what Ian recorded the first Kingface 12"? He didn't put out Kingface's record or anything else they put out when he easily could of cuz they like Swiz didn't fit into his little vision of his label. Don Zientara has recorded lots of bands who never wound up on Dischord and Don was Dischord's go to guy for most of their recordings.

10:25pm You are a total fucking idiot if you think $38 an hour with full benefits for a single childless person isn't a ton of money anywhere when it is, especially when you're paying well below market rent like I am (cuz I'm in a share.) And you are a pathetic no-life fuck following me into these comments from comments I stopped posting in well over a week ago. Fuck Jimmy's Law and Sham 69, both need to hang it up, there, ok?

11:03pm If I'm a wackjob you're a fool following one making you a bigger wackjob.

11:17pm My lifestyle? 'Hardly giving that you fucking jackass.

11:38pm No Artic Monkey guy here, sorry.

Posted by D | March 23, 2012 12:25 PM

I'm so glad D is here.

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 12:42 PM

'Got no beef with Dischord the label as they and Bad Brains put DCHC on the map. Dischord the people after Minor Threat broke up can suck a dick and STFU about DCHC in 2012. Ian MacKaye and his pals made the mess but didn't clean it up, others had to and did.

Posted by D | March 23, 2012 12:54 PM

Swiz were from Delaware and besides, Ian wasn't/isn't under any obligation to release any records other than the ones he wanted to. You're a real fucking idiot D.

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 12:59 PM

12:54 what the fuck are you ranting about you freak? Ian MacKaye is a musician and business owner. That's all. He is not the mayor of DC. It's a documentary about the 80's scene, it has nothing to do with "DCHC in 2012". You really are a fucking moron.

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 1:04 PM

Swiz was from Delaware? Huh? Since when? Swiz was DC all the way you real fucking jackass. Jade Tree Records based in Delaware put out their discography cd. Someone has that cd and thinks Swiz is from Delaware (YOU) ha ha, ha ha ha. Newjack. Get your facts straight before you run shit to me.

Right, Ian wasn't under any obligation to put out their records, I never said he was dipshit. I said in so many words he could've easily put out their records but didn't cuz he was an exclusionary dick and still is. At He/Dischord wanted nothing to do with hardcore bands (Swiz) or bands that didn't conform to his straightedge (Kingface) after Minor Threat broke up and I resent that because he and his clique made the mess then blamed it on everyone else and unfairly dismissed everyone who came after them.

Posted by D | March 23, 2012 1:09 PM

Or maybe Ian grew up his taste evolved and he simply started liking bands like Slant 6 and Make Up more than he liked bands of teenagers screaming. Isn't that a possibility D?

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 1:18 PM

^no that's crazy talk. Do you think D climbed his way up to $38hr by ever not being 100% right? OF COURSE NOT!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 1:21 PM

12:54 Ranting? Hardly. Try speaking my mind, too bad if you don't like it. 'Don't like it, don't read it. Freak? Yeah, I'm proud to be one since I'm one to you, dick.

Ian MacKaye is a musician and a business owner who would be neither without hardcore / the hardcore scene which he has badmouthed or dismissed depending on the interview for almost three decades. He has what he has today because of the hardcore scene. His label ain't shit without Minor Threat and Fugazi sales, and there'd have been no Fugazi or the popularity they had (have) if not for Minor Threat.

DCHC in 2012 = Him and whoever else from the Dischord crowd yapping about hardcore when they ditched hardcore in 1984, not even at the halfway point of the decade, but you're too fucking stupid to figure that out.

It isn't a documentary about the '80s scene, it's one where I'm gonna say 90% of it will be focused on Dischord people and bands besides Bad Brains. It's a Dischord documentary Dischord people are propping up as a DCHC doc when they haven't given a fuck about hardcore since Minor Threat broke up before the halfway point of the decade, and I among many others resent that. What they're doing is equivalent to someone putting out a documentary about 1980s NYHC but stopping at 1984 or talking very little about 1984-90.

Posted by D | March 23, 2012 1:21 PM

What is so hard to understand about that D? They're doing a documentary about the 80's DC punk scene. Scott Crawford is the director not Dischord. I'm sorry that Ian Mackaye wasn't as enamored with the meathead/neanderthal directorn hardcore turned into (I remember you're glowing praise of SOIA) but you're really talking out of your ass here.

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 1:30 PM

* L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E * L E T * D * S M O K E *

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 1:31 PM

1:18pm Teenagers screaming? What are you, 60 years old? If so my Mom is older than you and even she knows about hardcore punk and that it's about way more than "teenagers screaming".

Swiz > Slant 6 and Make Up

Kingface > Slant and Make Up

Ian had/has lousy taste in music and spare me he "grew up". He formed Fugazi then went on a crusade against stagediving and dancing just three or so years after he was stagediving, dancing, and not lecturing people for doing both like he did during Fugazi's entire run. He is Numero Uno dick who tried and failed to knock the fun out of hardcore.

1:21pm Give it a rest with how much I make an hour considering you make $0 an hour. Knock the 3 off my hourly pay and I still make $8 more an hour than you dumbo. Knock the 8 off and I still make $3 more an hour than you.

Posted by D | March 23, 2012 1:39 PM

sorry D, but I'll take Make up, Slant 6, Lungfish et al. over the knuckle dragging moron rock you so obviously cherish.

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 1:47 PM

"Salad Days: The HarDCore Punk Revolution" will be the most comprehensive, honest and insightful look at the DC punk scene from the early 1980s to the decade's end. The film will include exclusive archival photographs, concert footage and interviews with dozens of bands, artists, label owners, zine publishers and others who helped mold and nurture DC's underground community during this inspired decade of music."

Read it one more time D.

"insightful look at the DC punk scene"

See that?

It says "punk scene" not "hardcore scene".

Read it one more time.

"punk scene"

Can you process that D? Can you brain handle it?

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 1:49 PM

"His label ain't shit without Minor Threat and Fugazi sales, and there'd have been no Fugazi or the popularity they had (have) if not for Minor Threat."

Lulz, D has deduced that Ian Mackaye wouldn't be shit without Ian Mackaye. You're really on some next level dumb ass shit D.

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 1:53 PM

@7:10 and 7:37

Wow! Oooh, some hipsters took Psych 101. How can a GAY Aryan Skinhead "project" his homosexual "preoccupation"? Thats like saying an open Klansman is projecting his racism.

You hipsters are as dull and unimaginative as your "art", "music" and on BV, your "jokes" but you have the nerve to talk about whether something is funny or insightful (two which hipsters are incapable of being).

I am a REAL sausage. I have a big one between my legs and to my "ironic" victims, it's a weapon of ass destruction! HOT!

It's this simple: Hipsters are going to be assraped en-masse -- especially when Gay Aryans take over and establish a Gay Aryan Aristocracy where breeders (YOU) will be our slaves! The future is ours! Shut up and bend the fuck over!

SODOMIZE ALL HIPSTERS!

SIEG HEIL!

Butch "Nicky" Craine
Gay Aryan Skinheads (G.A.S.H.) Worldwide.

Posted by Butch from Gay Aryan Skinheads (G.A.S.H.) Worldwide | March 23, 2012 2:10 PM

"I honestly can't think of a single thug band from those states in the entire history of hardcore, not one."

Apparently D has never heard of the band Iron Cross. Also, SOA featuring a young Henry "Rollins" Garfield were known to kick some serious ass. I'm really just stating this to rile D back up. Time for another rant dude.

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 5:45 PM

^D makes $38 an hour. His time is valuable.

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 6:38 PM

Nazi faggots, how novel. Like jumbo shrimp.

Posted by Emmanuel Goldstein | March 23, 2012 7:05 PM

@1:47 Swiz & Kingface are pretty far from "knuckle dragging moron rock",nice try though.

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 8:00 PM

I've changed my stance on D. I don't know a lot about the hardcore scene, and some may disagree with D but he obviously has been in the scene, and as a result maybe I can learn something from him. Don't get me wrong, I get about 10 words deep into one of his 10,000 word mini-essays and my eyes start to glaze over like a Christmas ham, but he seems to really torque some of you fools off which in my experience means that some of the stuff he is saying is probably accurate.

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2012 8:58 PM

^"I don't know a lot about the hardcore scene"

I think that says it all. If you did, you'd know that D is an opinionated blowhard. An entertaining one I'll admit...but a blowhard nonetheless.

Posted by Anonymous | March 24, 2012 1:51 AM

The guy makes $38hr, he obviously is very bright.

Posted by Anonymous | March 24, 2012 10:57 AM

1:47pm I cherish Bad Religion, a hardcore punk band who awards an annual science research grant and whose vocalist is a PhD. Real "knuckle-dragging rock". Go back to whatever year you decided hardcore wasn't cool (if you ever were into hardcore) and fuck yourself.

1:49pm Read "Salad Days" as the first words in the title of this piece of shit documentary and the piece of shit bio written about it where it already slags hardcore cuz it calls the scene "DC punk" when it was "DC hardcore" or "DC hardcore punk". Also read the back of Flex Your Head (which I finally snagged a copy of in 1989 for less than $10) where it says "HarDCore" and the word "punk" is nowhere in sight. Even your own heroes Dischord themselves shunned the word "punk" and rightfully so as they were hardcore which was, is, and always will be the real punk.

1:53pm You are on some what-level dumbass shit cuz while Ian founded Minor Threat, the band was a group effort and he co-founded Fugazi with Guy. You lose asshat.

5:45pm Henry Garfield and Iron Cross thugs? Puh-leeze. Henry was a bully - see his "interview" with a kid he was trying (and failing) to intimidate on Youtube (this was when he was in Black Flag.) Iron Cross were not thugs.

8:58pm You can learn something from me and you will if you actually read what I write instead of run your keyboard mouth about the length of my posts.

1:51pm I'm not a blowhard, just someone who has got your goat enough for you to go out of your way to evoke my name.

10:57pm $38/hr is $38 more an hour than you make. Give it a rest with how much I make like it's not alot of money for a person with no family to support (me) when it is. Sorry I'm not a trustfund faggot who doesn't have to work like you. BTW include "with full benefits" to my salary which includes vacation pay, annuity, and full healthcare so I make more than $38/hr when all is said and done.

Posted by D | March 24, 2012 10:02 PM

D, Guy did not cofound Fugazi w/ Ian. He wasn't even in the band at first. You blowhard.

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2012 6:01 PM

D, come on downstairs, honey! It's time for dinner and your father doesn't like to wait.

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2012 6:12 PM

D is not available right now. There is a clean up in Isle 7, and after that the cling peaches need to be stacked in Isle 12. D will write back later.

Posted by D's Manager at C-Town | March 26, 2012 6:31 PM

wow, I didn't know C-Town paid that well.

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2012 7:58 PM

The guy makes $38hr, he obviously is very bright.

Posted by Souq | March 29, 2012 7:43 AM

One thing I don't get about people getting wound up about Swiz not being covered (which the should as they are very influential on 90s hc across the US and UK for sure) and blaming some kind of "Dischord vs the world thing" is that Dischord may not have put em out, but Sammich did? Which is Ian Mackayes little sister and was distro'd by Dischord amirite?

And I'm gonna put it out there that the rev summer bands are just as deviant from the first wave of hardcore as all the youth crew stuff happening at the same time and I would consider both styles just a natural, but different, evolution, but still hardcore.

Posted by Joe C | July 31, 2012 8:29 AM

dischord DID help swiz---ian and the label fronted/gave the band cash to record.

Posted by target | August 8, 2012 8:03 PM

swiz toured with with the oasis, right?

ian mackaye formed cock sparrer, right?

people care about shit from 30 years ago, right?

grow the fuck up. or at least get a new hobby. jesus, you guys are pathetic.

MITT ROMNEY IN 2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by your_mom | September 26, 2012 1:28 AM

D, I was the bass player in King Face. The only reason we weren't on Dischord was because we didn't want to be on Dischord. Period. There was no love lost at all. In fact, Mark was living at Dischord House when we formed, and we rehearsed there for a good year. Ian, and the label, was incredibly helpful and supportive of us our whole existence. Even putting us on the State of the Union compilation, and distributing our posthumous CD. Many of the local bands we played with were our friends, most of whom were on Dischord,
I'm assuming you didn't grow up in DC, or at least weren't involved in the scene at the time. Regardless, I suppose history will continue to be re-witten by anyone about everything...

Posted by Andy R. | October 5, 2012 4:33 PM

^lol, he is schooling D

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2012 4:43 PM

There seems to be a problem with everyone forgetting that our DCPunk scene had alot of other bands in it including Void, Marginal Man, Faith, Dove and so many more.

Mike Dolfi
Black Market Baby

PS. Can't we all just get along?

Posted by Mike Dolfi | December 24, 2012 9:12 AM

Salad Days! very good, I like those bands weight!

Posted by Casa Massagem SP | April 23, 2013 8:18 PM