Posted in veggie on March 28, 2012

Save Kates

Admittedly I don't go there very often anymore (and partially because the service can be sooooooo slow), but I have eaten there many times in my life, and so I'm sad to hear that East Village vegan institution/diner Kate's Joint is in danger of closing! (though it's not that surprising given that everywhere cool closes eventually in the new East Village).

Luckily there's a campaign running to Save Kate's. They write:

Kate's Joint, vegetarian restaurant and bar, has been a staple in New York City's East Village since 1996. Solely owned and operated by neighborhood native Kate Halpern, who dreamt to create an affordable restaurant to serve the community she grew up in. Kate's Joint has grown to become much more than just a business, it is a home for locals and travelers a like, a place to bring family and friends, and to meet new ones.

Unfortunately, with the changing neighborhood and economic recession Kate's Joint has seen a fall in business and rise in costs. Kate is currently in arrears with the landlord. Eviction notices have been sent, court appearances have been made, and if a substantial amount of money is not raised by April 11th, the next court date, the doors will shut permanently at Kate's Joint. The East Village will lose another neighborhood landmark.

Anyone who has ever met Kate knows how hard she has worked over the past 15 years, and how dedicated she is to this business. She has many plans to increase business, including transforming a section of the restaurant in to a bakery featuring vegan and gluten free baked goods, reaching a new market of morning commuters who would be able to grab a cup of coffee and a vegan muffin on their way to work. That being said, first thing is first, fighting off this eviction!

Please help save Kate's Joint, a little bit of the East Village preserved on the corner of 4th Street and Avenue B.

If you're reading this on Wednesday (3/28) between the hours of 7pm-midnight, then immediately drop everything and head over there now because they're having a party, sort of (or just go tomorrow, or soon).

Screw Kate's Joint. It's almost LINSANITY TIME!

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 7:32 PM

shoulda done this for Curly's too

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 7:45 PM

Kates is also talking about adding meat to the menu if they stay open...As a long time customer, fuck them for asking for my money to stay open an extra month to become a non veg restaurant.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 8:01 PM

E. Village been done son.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 8:11 PM

I miss Curly's.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 8:15 PM

Yeah! Fuck Kate's for trying to keep themselves open by altering their menu from one that is not sustainable for business to one that is! Fuck them! I only like things that are overpriced and pretentious!

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 8:18 PM

Give up the ghost. Why hang at the party when all cool people left early and all the snobby slobby frat and sorority people show up already drunk and stupid?

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 9:32 PM

This is the most pathetic thing I've seen in a while. But at least they're making their appeal directly to fellow vegan creepoids. That's preferable to bothering landlords because a business is too unsuccessful to avoid circling the drain.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 9:44 PM

>> pretty much sums up alphabet city..

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 9:45 PM

Kate can suck my meat eating dick all the way to the poor house. Does that make sense?

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 9:55 PM

I never have and never would eat at a stanky veg dump, but it really is long past time to hang it up on East Village nostalgia. Without the sea of emotionally damaged weirdos and alt-dorks, even the places that remain aren't the same anymore. Let it die already.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 9:57 PM

I love all the non-Veg people who guiltily come to this site and make cuss-ridden comments b/c they're unable to express themselves with any level of intelligence...or find their way to meat-eater websites apparently.

Posted by KPlan | March 28, 2012 10:24 PM

KPlan is evidently too dim to realize that this is a music blog. Tofu makes people stupid.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 10:34 PM

kate's joint smells like janeene garafolo's asshole.

begging is degrading.

everyone knows jacuzzi boyz run shit these days, and jacuzzi boyz don't go to manhattan

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 11:19 PM

The food wasn't that good.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2012 11:50 PM

Its going to be a Starbucks\sports bar right?

The new East Village frat gossip girl esque is as obnoxious as Astoria and parts of Williamsburg.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 12:04 AM

I actually like teh Jacuzzi Boyz. Thanks for acquainting me with them, meme guy.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 12:04 AM

^everything changes. Apparently Kate's Joint is so greeting at foreseeing or adjusting. Truth be told they were pretty rank to start with. I guess, they've got begging down though.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 12:06 AM

this place blows

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 12:10 AM

i ate there once in 1996 when i lived on b (basically on top of the last incarnation of save the robots)

i didnt really have a strong desire to go back and as it turns out.... i never have

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 12:15 AM

homegirl needs to hit up Mike D and leave us alone.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 12:27 AM

Couldn't agree more, 9:57. Oh wait, it appears we aren't intelligent enough for the greenies. Oh fuck well.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 12:37 AM

I'm vegan and I love vegan junk food. But that place is a dingy shit hole and I won't miss it. It's just not good and there's never anyone in there. If people wanted to save Kate's Joint, they'd eat there.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 12:41 AM

For a bunch of vegans, you're all very mean people.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 12:49 AM

Get over it people, NYC is a mean place. If you can't handle it go back to the midwest.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 1:17 AM

NYC is a mean place thanks to all the douchebag transplants. They want NY to be exactly like they imagined it. They live here for 2 years and think they have the right to be an asshole. Some of the nicest people I've met grew up here. Go back to New England, douche.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 1:57 AM

Fuck this place is right. If they weren't so concerned w/supporting their drug habits & decided to add "exiting" things onto their business BEFORE they were faced w/ an eviction, maybe they wouldn't be in this situation. Kate's been too busy to bother even carrying desserts (which are in high demand there) and NOW she wants to expand the to baked goods? Fuck off. Everyone who works/runs this place is a piece of shit. The fact that they have the nerve to spend all their $ & time on drugs & partying and then ask the public to put up the $ to save them from a situation they put themselves in is sickening. Oh, and affordable?? That's a laugh. Karma's a bitch, ain't it Kate?? Let this place shut down & all the vermin that work there, including mega-bitch Kate, be out of work & out of business.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 2:10 AM

12:49am has obvs not actually eaten at Kate's. It's not mean, it's honest. Kate's Joint is just not a good restaurant.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 2:16 AM

The un-turkey club sandwhich at Kate's is my second favorite food. My first favorite is obviously a familiar tan colored paste.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 2:32 AM

No 1:17 AM you might be partially right with some of the newbie people being assholes but theres plenty of assholes in midtown and the Upper East side thats for sure. Many people in Brooklyn & Queens from the neighborhoods are generally nice.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 2:43 AM

Landmark?

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 2:56 AM

Look everyone, it's the fat fuck B9 board mod "xtimx" running his mouth about Kate's Joint again at 2:10am after he ran it on the B9 and in the NY Gothamist comments section.

Bro didn't you used to run your mouth about nonwhites being "animals" when you lived in NYC and worked as a NYC subway train conductor (before you skidaddled to Seattle to be an Amtrak train conductor)? Yep. You racist piece of shit.

You have some vendetta against KJ from 3000+ miles away. Get a life.

Ban me. Oops, you're not the mod of BV comments, so you can't.

Stay in Seattle dick.

Posted by D | March 29, 2012 3:12 AM

Hey, Kate has lovely kids who read music blogs. So maybe the decent thing to do is to shut up for once, no?

Posted by ME | March 29, 2012 4:23 AM

i miss curly's

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 6:09 AM

I hate Bros. I live in Bushwick and have never been to central park because that's not indie. I insult parts of New York I don't understand because I am insecure about the life choices I've made. * I work nights at a cool hipster club and spend most of my time out getting drunk/ seeing unmemorable bands. Bros are bad people because they want New York to be what they imagined. Assholes.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 7:16 AM

Capitalism. aint it a b*tch

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 7:32 AM

Bros are bad people because it's essentially shorthand for the cool kids in high school who never gave them the time of day.

When young adulthood arrives all these losers have an opportunity to cluster together in the big city and reorient themselves emotionally. It's upsetting to them that their pitiful stab at reliving high school as the cool kids can come with daily reminders of how uncool they actually are. Avoid the bros and live the fantasy.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 8:24 AM

What does Kate look like? Is she hot with a nice set of tits? If so, I might help out?

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 8:25 AM

7:32 would prefer a Fabian utopia, where winners and losers are determined by a group of oligarch masterminds, like those creepy big head dudes on Star Trek. Unfortunately, Kate's would likely not survive that scenario either since she would not be able to meet the pay-to-play nut.

Go away, Pollyanna.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 8:27 AM

@8:24 I'm assuming the cool kids didn't accept you? Aren't you hipster liberals supposed to be accepting of everyone? You'll listen to crap music and smile, but if someone who acts differently than you should happen to like living a different lifestyle (beyond the avant garde), you frown?

Grow up, loser.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 9:34 AM

Viva la Difference!

Please pass the mustard for my Freedom Fries.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 9:40 AM

I love how the author states immediately that the "service is slow". Maybe if the service were not slow, they would have more customers and not be in arrears.

I stopped going to that place over a decade ago. Never had a good meal there, always thought the place was dirty and don't miss the shitty hipster lack of service.

Sorry but if you run your business, or your workers run your business like they can't be bothered with customer service, this is what happens.

Posted by Shit EVservice | March 29, 2012 9:40 AM

Curly's > Kate's. Too bad Curly's was taken over by Artichoke's management. It was a slow death. And now they just took it over completely. Do yourself a favor and go to Champs. Service isn't 100% but it's still pretty awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 9:56 AM

8:24: Exactly. Merely a fantasy, nothing more.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 9:58 AM

I seriously miss Curly's.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 10:07 AM

I pine over soon-to-be-closed restaurants and businesses that cannot pay their rent due to no customers. I always blame the evil system, even though I admit that I have never been to the restaurants / businesses myself.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 10:15 AM

shave kate's

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 10:19 AM

reopen in bushwick with a new menu and staff?

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 10:35 AM

Perhaps add a hummus dish to the menu)

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 12:04 PM

Too many nigs....no care ever

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 12:58 PM

1:57 is the coolest/smartest person to ever post on this blog. I salute you.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 1:19 PM

SAAAAAVE KAAAAAATES PLEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 2:54 PM

i hate you rich, meat-eating transplant FRAT JERKOFFS SO MUCH
you have destroyed alphabet city (MY HOOD)
go love your own cities, SH*TEATERS!

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 2:58 PM

haven't been in years and thought Kate's had decent food. however i really couldn't care less if they go.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 4:03 PM

overpriced, cockroach infested, and mediocre

yeah, it was kind of like a spot you'd have found in Portland 15 years ago... but those places were / are clean. Kate's sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 5:37 PM

I thought the roaches were consider to be a delicacy in the EV.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 9:11 PM

"i hate you rich, meat-eating transplant FRAT JERKOFFS SO MUCH
you have destroyed alphabet city (MY HOOD)
go love your own cities, SH*TEATERS!"

Sounds so bitter. It's too bad that the lot of you were too unsuccessful to hold onto your neighborhood. If you added anything that's of value to anyone but yourselves, you'd still get to live there. As it stands, just go on your way and make room for people who contribute to society.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2012 10:58 PM

^boom

Posted by anon | March 29, 2012 11:55 PM

Veg. City. Dinner.

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2012 3:45 PM

shave kate's

Posted by Myegy | April 3, 2012 11:42 AM

Because of the money problem, that lead to the Kate's Joint seems to be so worthless , so everybody let us save the Kate' s Joint together right now !

Posted by Seven | April 23, 2012 8:33 PM

I wonder how much business they lost due to their horrid health reports and perpetual "grade pending" sign. They certain lost mine and everyone I know and i was a regular for 10+ years. I bet if they would have spent a few thousand dollars on getting the rats, mice and roaches out of the kitchen this would not have happened.

Posted by John | April 24, 2012 3:37 PM

^true, the place was filthy

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:52 PM

good to know you think so, doing a great job

Posted by Casa Massagem SP | April 23, 2013 8:21 PM