Posted in music | pictures on April 7, 2012

photos by David Andrako

Dr John and Dan Auerbach

Dr. John & Dan Auerbach (of the Black Keys), along with the Locked Down Band (aka Dave Guy-trumpet, Aaron Johnson- trombone, McCrary Sisters - background vocals, Leon Michaels - keyboards, Nick Movshon - bass, Brian Olive - saxophone, Yoshihiro Takemasa - percussion, and Maximillien Weissenfeldt - drums), complete their three night run at the Brooklyn Academy of Music this evening (4/7). Here are some pictures and the setlist from the first night. More below...

Setlist:
Guilded Splinters
God's Sure Good
Such A Nite
Big Shot

gay

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2012 12:55 PM

sorry homophobe, finally a contender for album of the year.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2012 1:07 PM

^ so.not.
BUT
Dr. John is still a cool dude in a loose mood

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2012 1:37 PM

The Dr. John Louis Armstrong tribute was awesome. I'm not a huge Black Keys fan, but I'm sure this was a good time. but BV, Haters gone' hate...

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2012 2:45 PM

The Louis Armstrong one was so so. Good but nothing mind blowing
This was In a different realm. So fucking great. Great vibe. Great playing. If you were in the sweet spots at BAM the sound you could get lost in

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2012 2:58 PM

1:37 you are very much wrong. The album is fantastic and one of the best of the year. Think what you want of Auerbach but he did a great job with this

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2012 3:00 PM

This show can't possibly suck. Wish I could go tonight.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2012 6:43 PM

Brian Olive played guitar, not saxophone. They had him listed in the program incorrectly.

Posted by Tim B | April 7, 2012 8:49 PM

Tim were you at the show? Olive switched back and forth btw guitar and sax and Mac even acknowledged him as on guitar an tenor sax

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2012 8:57 PM

What are the odds either or both of these Doctor/Dan shows got recorded by a taper?

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2012 12:59 AM

Sickest show! Dr. John is a master and Danny Boy proved a worthy companion. The influence of the great Doctor on the Black Keys is undeniable.

Posted by The Doctor is in! | April 8, 2012 1:57 AM

This had to be almost as good as New Orleans Preservation Hall Jazz Band at Carnegie Hall.

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2012 9:48 AM

12:59 The shows were being professionally recorded

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2012 11:38 AM

I wish I could get paid for playing pretty much the same minor 7 5th string barre chord throughout an entire song during a SNL set.

Posted by Sam | April 8, 2012 12:00 PM

^ wish I could get paid to repeatedly punch you in the face.

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2012 3:47 PM

I had super high hopes for this show, but I don't ideally think it hit it's full potential folks. Started strong with the title track, some great power horns, but I'm sorry to say that the performance lost some of it's potency as it went along and never really recovered....until the Dr.'s encore solo...which may have been the best song of the night. You can't tell me that (even though this was a Dr. John show) the crowd wasn't begging for a bit more guitar work from Dan. I'd give the show a 6 out of ten. Plus, who was in charge of the HVAC? It was hot as balls in that theater. That's really not cool.

Posted by G | April 8, 2012 11:12 PM

Dr John was pretty low key a lot of the night, but he ripped up that encore so hard.

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2012 11:44 PM

Anyone know who they were playing before the show began?

Posted by Jay | April 9, 2012 1:17 PM

G, got to disagree. You got it wrong. The only people begging for more of Dan's guitar work were Black Keys fans showing up for the show rather than Dr. John fans. Thankfully they were not as many of those people. Dr. John has never been about flash and you would know that if you listened to the record, or Gris Gris and Babylon, which was the flavor Dan was trying to get with this new one. The show actually lost none of it's momentum. It locked into a groove right from the start and was there the whole time.

Also, if you thought it was hot as balls in there I would gather that maybe you are in the early stages of menopause.

Posted by Anonymous | April 9, 2012 2:03 PM

Yo, so glad my boy from the black keys showed up to show dr. john a thing or two about real authentic delta blues!

Posted by Derek Whipple | April 11, 2012 5:34 PM

I was so pleased when I found out that this show was on during the week when we visited New York. Not having listened to the album in advance, my hopes were that Dr John would connect to his earlier material.
I got more than I had hoped for. Working with Dan Auerbach seems to have revitalized The Doctor. The show alone was worth travelling the 3.862 miles from Malmö to Brooklyn.
By the way, thanks for the great pics!

Posted by Bengavoice, Sweden | April 12, 2012 11:21 AM

I like how they call him doctor.

Posted by jordon | August 3, 2013 3:46 PM