Posted in music | veggie on April 27, 2012

Kates Joint

I told you I didn't make it there very often anymore. Thanks PP for sending in the above, but extremely sad picture which first fully brought to my attention the current state of legendary NYC vegetarian restaurant Kate's Joint which was apparently seized by the marshal about 10 days ago (the exact day I was last asking about it actually), after a multi-month, unsuccessful struggle to make things work. R.I.P. Kate's

(let's not let Cake Shop be next!)

Using RIP for a closed restaurant is stupid.

Posted by ME | April 27, 2012 5:13 PM

For real. Fuck this dumb cunt bitch. Serves them right.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2012 5:19 PM

This place was only legendary at sucking. Why are people writing about this? NO ONE every went there, the food was shit, service was even worse. And how is this relevant to music? Go cry at evgrieve. This bullshit restaurant went under because no one wanted to eat there.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2012 5:26 PM

Kate's was a NY institution. Those who missed it did so for all the right reasons. It ain't for yous! RIP kates joint.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2012 5:52 PM

Everything is better w bacon, fuck this place

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2012 5:55 PM

Best service with attentive staff ever in NYC.
Also kick ass southern fried vegan gravy biscuits grits with tofu fondue drenched bits with blueberry carob sauce ever.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2012 6:19 PM

prob gonna be another maoz or duane reade

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2012 6:27 PM

starbucks

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2012 9:22 PM

24hr Wall Mart is what I heard.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2012 10:00 PM

1st comment for the win.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2012 11:57 PM

LOL @ restaurant haters.

Lemme guess...didn't say shit to whoever treated you rudely or complain about him/her to Kate, so you come on here to take shots at it now that it's gone, that it? Cowardly assholes.

Bottom line is the so-called "East Village" is a little less interesting with Kate's Joint gone.

Posted by D | April 28, 2012 6:04 AM

I loves me sum bizkits

Posted by Big Wurm | April 28, 2012 10:48 AM

RIP Pete Fornatale

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2012 11:23 AM

i haven't been there in about 8 years but i thought the food was decent. as shame it's closed.

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2012 12:19 PM

The East Village has been dead for 10 years. This place closing does not make it any shittier down there.

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2012 7:22 PM

I hear you but Kate's Joint closing still does make the EV shittier because chances are whatever moves in the space will not be as interesting. At least KJ was interesting enough for people to hate it haha.

Posted by D | April 28, 2012 10:22 PM

I liked Kate's Joint but I haven't been there in a few years because it is the only thing to do over in that corner of the East Village, and it isn't a destination in and of itself. If they reopened on Franklin Ave in Greenpoint, there'd be a line around the block.

Let's stop lamenting anything of interest to independent or underground culture closing in Manhattan. If you haven't figured out by now that your customers have all moved to Brooklyn, then you aren't savvy enough to own a business. Stockbrokers don't eat Tofurkey Clubs. Turn that corner storefront into a fancy cocktail lounge like God and Bloomberg intended.

Posted by bd | April 29, 2012 1:20 AM

1:20pm

No, let's not stop lamenting, because I got news for you:

Manhattan sets the tone - always has set it, always will. If Manhattan crumbles, Brooklyn will, too, it's just a matter of when (I say 2015 when three or four if not all five from The Acheron, Death By Audio, Union Pool, St.Vitus, and Knitting Factory will be gone.) Don't think for a second the yuppies and stockbrokers won't turn to Brooklyn when many of them can't afford to move to Manhattan or live there anymore.

Brooklyn is artifically underground because the rents are far cheaper and it was birthed from the death or near death of Manhattan. It's easy to charge $5-8 a show $2-3 a draft beer, $4-5 a bottled beer, and take chances with band booking when your monthly rent is $3-12G not minimum $20G (and in CBGB's case at their end $40G.)

It is no coincidence that when Wetlands, Coney Island High, Tramps, and of course CBGB closed down between 1999 and 2006, Brooklyn venues emerged. Name me one notable Brooklyn venue besides L'Amour prior to Northsix opening. You can't, cuz Brooklyn was where people left from to go to shows in Manhattan.

Posted by D | April 29, 2012 3:54 AM

To clarify:

Posted by D | April 29, 2012 3:56 AM

Kate's joint had a lot of class... The decor was garbage which made it a
comfortable place to have a meal... Remember eating there before going to the Bowery ballroom... Another nail in the coffin of the soul of manhattan...

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2012 7:22 AM

kates always gave me the cha cha chas

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2012 11:39 AM

I'm not a vegetarian but there are plenty of vegetarian restrants I would classify as..food. Kate's was not on of them. It was dark and depressing and the " fake burger" looked and tasted like a pile of mulch and twigs drenced in bbq sauce. Gross.

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2012 4:28 PM

Their bizkits were limp.

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2012 9:48 PM

Kate's tasted like Janeane Garofalo's asshole. Good riddance.

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2012 10:55 PM

Oof.

What's with all the Kate hate? LOL

Posted by D | April 29, 2012 11:55 PM

They didn't serve hummus... Obviously it wasn't gonna last.

RIP Kate's Joint.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2012 3:26 AM

3:54 is spot on

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2012 3:38 PM

I saw Jesse Camp there in '99.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2012 11:13 AM

Posted by hafiz | May 7, 2012 4:26 AM

>>"o clarify:

"Brooklyn is artifically underground because the rents are far cheaper and it was birthed from the death or near death of Manhattan. It's easy to charge $5-8 a show $2-3 a draft beer, $4-5 a bottled beer, and take chances with band booking when your monthly rent is $3-12G not minimum $20G (and in CBGB's case at their end $40G) LIKE RENT ON A NIGHTCLUB IS MANHATTAN.">"Don't think for a second the yuppies and stockbrokers won't turn to Brooklyn when many of them can't afford to move to Manhattan or live there anymore."<<

Do you think that Brooklyn is full of native New Yorkers? The clubs, bars, and neighborhoods you mentions are full of rich kids from out of state who's parents pay their rent in over priced apartments. If you think that "Williamsburg" is the real New York City you were clearly bussed in with the rest of the hipsters in 1992.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 2:56 PM

>>"o clarify:

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 2:57 PM

^no one gives a shit about native New Yorkers. Go put on your Sergio Tacchini sweatsuit and report to the local union hall.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 3:12 PM

I am so very devastated. It was my favorite restaurant along with Vegetarian Dim Sum House in Chinatown. I remember so very fondly the vegetarian hot wings, breaded, deep fried pressed tofu/gluten combination that was so awesome. This is what Manhattan and indeed NYC has become. What is the point to live in NYC when the rents are so high, the jobs pay so low, and the stores/shops are the same you can find in the suburbs of any major American city where the cost of living is way less than 1/2 what you pay to live in the outer boroughs with the 1 hour commute.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 11:05 PM

I LOVED kates and live near there and feel sad every day walking past! I want to eat there, now! Plus they played great music guys. C'mon.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 11:47 PM

The unturkey club there was a sandwich I turned to on countless occasions. Sorry to see that place go. It was really a cool spot.

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2012 1:40 AM

Totally bummed. I live in DC but always visited Kates every time I was in NYC. It was the place I looked forward to going the most every trip to the city.

Posted by Mike | September 5, 2012 3:58 PM

Me to! I post to let people know how cool is this page. I don't know is about the money but is cool! I just wait until the next time!

Posted by Arab Ladies | October 4, 2012 7:28 AM