Posted in music | tour dates on April 10, 2012

Kraftwerk

In celebration of the MoMA shows that start TONIGHT (4/10) (maybe you won a ticket?) (or are going to the tribute show at Littlefield instead), here's this entire press release about the boxset (that became available today):

BOXSET PRESS RELEASE

Following their recent mind-blowing performance at this year's Ultra Music Festival in Miami, Kraftwerk are poised to land in New York to perform Kraftwerk-Retrospective 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8, a truly auspicious and unique series of concerts running April 10 - 17 at New York's Museum of Modern Art. The elaborate staging of the performances will combine sound and 3D images to present more than 40 years of musical and technological innovation, with new improvisations and 3D projections. The albums will be performed in chronological order: Autobahn (1974), Radio-Activity (1975), Trans Europe Express (1977), The Man-Machine (1978), Computer World (1981), Techno Pop (1986), The Mix (1991), and Tour de France (2003).

To commemorate this illustrious moment in Kraftwerk's career, Astralwerks will release a special limited edition version of the 2009 Digital Masters Boxset The Catalogue on April 10. Originally released to celebrate the 35th anniversary of their landmark 1974 hit "Autobahn" and the long-awaited digitally remastered versions of their 8 classic albums, the CD Boxset contains 8 x remastered CDs in 'mini-vinyl' card wallet packaging, plus individual large format booklets. However, this time, the set will come packaged in a black box and will be made available as an individually numbered, worldwide limited edition of 2,000 copies.

This special commemorative edition will be sold at two NYC locations, The Museum Of Modern Art's store in Manhattan and at the MoMA PS1 store in Long Island City. It is also available to purchase online at MoMA's ecommerce store.

Rolling back musical barriers with every forward-thinking phase of their career, Dusseldorf's Zen masters of electronic minimalism laid the foundations for four decades of computerised pop and dance music. By chain reaction and mutation, they have influenced generations of artists in all genres, mapping musical futures yet to come. From Bowie to Daft Punk, Aphex Twin to Portishead, Dr Dre to LCD Soundsystem and almost everyone in between, the mark of Kraftwerk is seemingly without end.

Performance Schedule

Tuesday, April 10, 8:30 p.m. Autobahn (1974)
Wednesday, April 11, 8:30 p.m. Radio-Activity (1975)
Thursday, April 12, 8:30 p.m. Trans Europe Express (1977)
Friday, April 13, 10:00 p.m. The Man-Machine (1978)
Saturday April 14, 8:30 p.m. Computer World (1981)
Sunday, April 15, 8:30 p.m. Techno Pop (1986)
Monday, April 16, 8:30 p.m. The Mix (1991)
Tuesday, April 17, 10:00 p.m. Tour de France (2003)

Kraftwerk at MoMA PS1

As part of Kraftwerk-Retrospective 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8, a presentation of Kraftwerk's historical audio and visual material will be on view in the new MoMA PS1 Performance Dome at MoMA PS1, from April 12-May 14, 2012.

The exhibition is made possible by a partnership with Volkswagen of America.

More info on the PS1 stuff HERE.

Tags: Kraftwerk, MoMA

Best. Cash. Grab. Ever.

Period.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 5:09 PM

Fuck this

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 5:09 PM

funny how there was so much outrage and so many posts when these tickets went on sale and no one got them, and now on the first night of the actual show all this gets is three posts.

People here were apparently more concerned about not getting into the show when they went on sale then they are about the show itself when they are happening.

not surprising.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 5:14 PM

but but, I am still in the ticket queue.....

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 5:18 PM

The difference is that it's in black?????..... Hitler is so pissed.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 5:20 PM

@5:14 of course people moved on, no one got tickets!

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 5:21 PM

I authored the first post. Not bitter I did not get tickets, but salt was added to the wound when the contest was announced, and seeing 500 tickets were tucked away-which. I know VW has a right to that since they are the sponsor, but then to release a box set like this is just silly. Doing an eight night run is impressive, and I would not discredit them for doing this, but not to add a few non-moma dates when the equipment is here is, again, silly.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 5:24 PM

I am confident my turn in the queue will happen at any moment. The show is only a few hours away!

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 5:24 PM

5:21, but there are no people even looking. Usually as hard to get shows approach or are here people come out of the woodwork to try and get in.

But not for this. It seems that now no one cares. Not even that many people looking on craigslist.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 5:26 PM

The internet was on fire when these tickets went on sale and everyone got shut out.

Now the shows are here and there's barely a whimper online about them.

It was obviously all about getting in, and less about the performances themselves.

Silly hipsters.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 5:28 PM

"This just proves that the indie community is just all about whatever is the hot thing to get at the moment and then they move on."

Are you surprised? Hipster do not think for themselves, they simply follow the mentality of the crowd.

There was no fanfare the last time Kraftwerk played. Yes, it sold out, but tickets were available at the door.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 5:29 PM

Hipsters want what they can't have.

This whole thing only became interesting because of the lack of availability. Clearly other than not getting a ticket no one gives a shit about this.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 5:30 PM

wow, this is pretty much the worst salt-in-wound move ever. can't be there? buy the same 8 albums again!

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 5:32 PM

Uh. Performances? Even true Kraftwerk fans know these shows would have little in terms of performance, except to hear albums that you have been listening to in years and awesome visuals. If there was a chance of a changed set list or special guests I would have an interest in trying to get last minute tickets. CL has one post, so no one is selling, I doubt due to lack of interest, but I think most people got over the fact that they are missing a Kraftwerk performance, when one will probably have a chance to see a show in the next 5 years with a varied set list and at a better suited venue.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 5:32 PM

I wasn't too into these shows, didn't try to get tix when they went on sale. Entered the VW contest on a whim and ended up winning two tix. Now I've deepened my knowledge and appreciation of Kraftwerk in advance of the shows, and I'm excited for the performance. That's a good thing, isn't it?

I'm still no more likely to buy a VW though.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 5:41 PM

on my way to the show now!!!
thanks VW!

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 5:41 PM

I fucking love the following people, groups and/or corporate entities in no particular order:

kraftwerk
Volkswagen
rolling stone
the daily swarm
92.3 now FM
moma
brooklynvegan
NYC hipsters

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 5:49 PM

@532 are you looking at the right Craigslist. I, myself, have four ads listed on Craigslist where I'm selling kraftwerk tix

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 5:51 PM

5:41#1 - Why don't you shut up and give your tickets to some genuine fans.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 6:18 PM

Who buys CD box sets anymore?

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 6:19 PM

who cares?

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 6:22 PM

Are you people so fucking stupid or all just trolls and liars. Have you actually looked at Craigslist. Tons of people looking for tickets. Yes people selling but asking ridiculous amounts for them or best offer.
The show is completely in demand you morons.

Although that might change tomorrow when word filters down that for every night they are selling 200 tickets at the door first come first served.

Wait till you see the lines in the next coming days.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 7:28 PM

"Entered the VW contest on a whim and ended up winning two tix. Now I've deepened my knowledge and appreciation of Kraftwerk in advance of the shows"

This person illustrates the problem with these shows. It is about the scene, not the music. A non-fan gets tickets because ... well just cuz.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 7:45 PM

But the guy is saying he has become a fan, so what's the problem?

People will complain about anything, somebody is complaining because...there were only 3 comments on this post!?!?! Maybe all of those angry folks are out looking for tickets?

Alright, on my way to see Kraftwerk. I really hope Chris Martin joins them on stage tonight, heard he might.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 8:02 PM

I find this absolutely hysterical:

YTINASNIL Guy won two tickets for Saturday. I don't give a shit about Kraftwerk and have never heard a single song of theirs until two days ago when I youtubed them (after I noticed the VW confirmation email from MOMA). It sounded like absolutely nonsense.

I will most definitely walk in and out if they aren't playing by the time I get inside.

YTINASNIL LIVES. Oh, the humor in it all.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 8:15 PM

really no one cares about the group they just want to get in because its cool and in demand. Typical ridiculous hipster museum elitist New New York nonsence.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 10:32 PM

really no one cares.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 10:32 PM

Sabra
Tribe
Whole foods
Bobby's
Mamouns
Hummus Kitchen
Oasis

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 11:05 PM

Hi-5, 11:05.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 11:38 PM

amazing show
Kraftwerk in 3D at MOMA in a small room and not that many people whats not to love!!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2012 11:51 PM

Or 10:32 PM you could say mostly its midtown 9 to 5 people going to the Kraftwerk shows as I heard many office drones who went because it was the cool thing to do talking about this show as I was walking to my late evening restaurant job.
It could have just as well been a Moby interview at a museum for all they care.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2012 2:47 AM

wah wah wah

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2012 4:30 AM

do you guys have any idea how easy it was to win tickets to this shit? to any 'real fan' complaining that random people are going in their place - why didn't you enter one of the thousand contests for the show? your odds were literally 1 to 1, given the number of contests and entries.

VW gave away FIFTY PAIRS of tickets to each night - look at the GIF page; only 88 people submitted GIFs. do the math.

I won two pairs and I wasn't even trying that hard. If you're such a huge kraftwerk fan, you should've spent an hour out of your busy robo schedule to research/enter all applicable contests.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2012 7:53 AM

and of course non-kraftwerk fans want to go - it's a 3D german industrial techno concert at the MoMA. give me a break.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2012 7:58 AM

It was pretty ridiculous last night. Opened with Robots, then played a fairly abridged version of the Autobahn album, before continuing with a very long set of material from their other albums. Radioactivity, Computer Love, Numbers, Tour de France, Trans Europa, etc. I hadn't realised they'd do so much other material, which definitely made up for the 2 ticket minimum. Despite all the greif, MoMA put on a fantastic show, the atmosphere was very special, and the crowd was engaged and respectful. Awesome show. Try and get tickets any way you can.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2012 8:51 AM

Scorpions > Kraftwerk

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2012 9:23 AM

This show was better because you weren't there.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2012 10:15 AM

I hate Kraftwerk

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2012 10:25 AM

851am. how was the will call situation? did they go on right at 830? what time did it end? are they playing in the same space where sigur ros played couple years ago in front of the garden?

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2012 10:55 AM

elitist ridiculous nonsense for elitist ridiculous nonsensical people.

Old Foreign techno outfit with only one original member playing small room in Museum where they shut out most of their fans and only a select few hipsters, scensters and journalists attend.

And I'm not even a fan, nor did I try for tickets.

But this whole thing just reeks from pompous attitude on the part of Kraftwerk.

Boring.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2012 11:02 AM

good thing I don't like them or I would be plenty pissed off at them.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2012 11:03 AM

boring is putting it kindly.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2012 11:03 AM

the green-eyed monsters rear their ugly heads.

7:53 is spot on. didn't even try to get tickets but my nephew and i each entered the gif contest for all 8 nights.

i won for tour de france and he won for computer world.

i'm going to 2 kraftwerk shows at moma!

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2012 11:41 AM

set times anyone?

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2012 11:55 AM

i'm going tonight via the vw contest and - not going to lie - i hadn't heard of kraftwerk before this. though looks like fun, and a friend of mine is a big fan (that also went last night), so he's got my +1 tonight. maybe this gets me into them. whatever. looks like a good time either way.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2012 12:20 PM

boring is putting it kindly.

Posted by Android | April 14, 2012 5:15 PM

Posted by wdyan | May 30, 2012 10:54 AM

Many thanks for this. Was especially looking forward to this live rendition of Europe Endless, in my opinion their most romantic and elegant song. On the album it was a classic analog synthesizer track with clever and tricky delay and reverb for the arpeggiated background melody; live it's not as good as that, but still a thrill to hear after all these years. Same for Franz Schubert. Thanks! I'm not so sad now that I was not there.

Posted by Jocuri cu masini | October 4, 2012 1:52 PM