Posted in music | pictures on April 12, 2012

by Greg Cristman

Museum of Modern Art - 4/11/2012
Kraftwerk

There is absolutely no way any photo or video could ever come close to capturing the full effect of the modern day Kraftwerk live spectacle. The extremely intimate venue conspired with the crystal clear surround sound and breathtakingly stunning 3D effects to make this an absolute must see experience (unfortunately tickets happen to be hard to come by). This is live music/visuals taken to an unprecedented new level. The visual effects were so convincing and stunning they actually made you flinch as arms reached out, numbers pulsed, autobahn pavement unfolded, and ohm signs enveloped the line of musicians as it passed around them.

Those words come courtesy of photographer Greg Cristman who witnessed Kraftwerk play close to a two hour set at MoMA last night (4/12). As advertised, the setlist included all of the band's 1975 LP Radio-Activity, but also much more. The show was part of the ongoing Volkswagen-sponsored eight night celebration of the band's catalog which continues tonight with 1977's Trans Europe Express.

Pictures and the setlist from the first night are HERE, More from night two, setlist included, below...

KRAFTWERK SETLIST 4/11/12
Home Computer
Tour de France
Planet Of Visions
Medley: Boing Boom Tschak, Technopop, Musique Non Stop

Cool. Cool.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 5:24 PM

Oh yeah. I got my Tron suit pressed for this and everything

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 5:36 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing Ween in this space in 20 years

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 5:37 PM

That's me in the corner.

Posted by anonymous | April 12, 2012 5:39 PM

I was there. I don't even like the band but my friend begged me to go. The 3D was cool but not as good as John Carter. The music was boring as shit. I get why they're "influential" but it's dance music you can't fucking dance to. I'm glad these guys did what they did with synths and sweeps so dudes who know how to fuck could take over and make this kind of music awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 5:41 PM

Does anyone know if they sell schnapps there?

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 5:41 PM

i was there last night...not a huge fan but it was a fun experience.

hearing trans europe express live by kraftwerk is pretty special.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 5:49 PM

funny, most of the posts from people who were at these two shows come from people who are "not a big fan but I went because someone dragged me/made me go/convinced me to, etc'.

Then they all pretty much say, "yeah it was cool" like they would after they saw some art installation that they didn't understand or really didn't truly like.

So basically no one really likes them but they go because it's cool to.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 5:54 PM

can we get a report from someone that was there that actually likes them or is a fan of the group?

anyone?

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 5:55 PM

impossible. Nobody actually likes them.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 5:59 PM

Hey funboys get a room

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 6:14 PM

I'd always been aware of Kraftwerk but wasn't a huge fan or anything. I happened to win some VW tix and I'm going tonight. I've been listening to lots of Kraftwerk in anticipation of the show and I'm growing to like them even more.

I'll report back tomorrow with my perspective on the show. Hope everyone has a great night :)

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 6:16 PM

Ja, mach schnell mit da art things.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 6:48 PM

this is ROCK AND ROLL hipster beard boys!

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 6:57 PM

Rock Und Roll, muthafukas!

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 7:02 PM

I went last night. I'm not really a big fan but a guy wearing the dog suit from The Shining begged me to go. It was pretty cool. The 3D in Beowulf was a little better.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 7:04 PM

wasn't bad. just got a ticket to a movie showing at another one of the moma cinemas and walked right in.

also, that's the secret to sneaking in for anyone interested.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 7:09 PM

"this show was really great and i went, blah blah blah"

suck it douche

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 7:12 PM

Greg Crostman's drooling description is way too fawning. Calm down kiddo. Quit congratulating yourself for simply being present.

Maybe Cristman shouldn't have taken any photos at all if "there is absolutely no way any photo or video could ever come close to capturing the full effect of the modern day Kraftwerk live."

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 7:16 PM

7:16 is a dolt

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 8:23 PM

Kraftwerk Tuesday > pulp last nite

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 8:26 PM

7:09... really? cause that's brilliant

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 8:38 PM

7:09 is a hero

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 8:46 PM

I agree with 7:16. Too me it read like a publicist contributed the text. Writing like a publicist is NOT a good thing.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 8:56 PM

I'm an actual fan and was at night 1 for Autobahn. It was transcendent. Did anyone else who attended get interview after the show by the German tv crew? Who are they and where can we find the footage?

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 9:00 PM

Jon Carter is underrated. As a fan of Burroughs original novels, I must say Disney's adaptation was better than I expected.

Oh yeah, and no one actually likes Kraftwerk.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 9:07 PM

8:26 - I was at both, and I've been an intense Pulp fan for nearly 20 years, and you're right. As amazing as Pulp were, that show was nothing after the Autobahn night.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 11:17 PM

this band...i like...i remember...when...they played at tthe mercury lounge, cool sound...i like...i remember when i bought the original lp from the other music...i like...this music and this sound...creates pulse in my body...i like...this pulse...and sound...band could stay hopefully for time being...for like time to be...i like...this band...and this sound creates image...rolf is nice...florian is nice too i hear...they are great...cannot wait for coachela

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2012 11:20 PM

Jesus Fucking Christ, everyone knocking the "drooling description" calm the hell down.

I went last night, and Greg Cristman is 1000% correct. Photos and video taken CAN'T portray how unbelievable of a show that was. The sound in the MoMA performance space was flawless, and the 3-D element worked incredibly well with the music. If you held Kraftwerk (or the Radio-Activity album in particular) in quite high regard, or just saw the show cause a friend invited you or you were lucky, it was an amazing opportunity. Based on the small book given out at the show, they seem to be playing more festivals/art museums lately though infrequently -- I have no doubt they'll be back in the states and I'd hope more people would get to see them (even everyone so pissed off that the moment tickets sold out announced they were cancelling their MoMA membership. idiots.) The video work is relatively new and still growing, and I love that Ralf is continuing to take Kraftwerk in these kinds of intriguing territories.

9:00 - got interviewed from the VW guys, they said a lot of photos/videos would go on their site soon.

Lots of people were snapping cell phone or camera photos/videos. No one who took those would dare say it's an exact portrayal but they (and I) have them as a small reminder of the night.

It was one of the best shows I've seen. I've been a fan since a teen in the 90's, and felt really fortunate to have seen the show.

Posted by jess elias | April 12, 2012 11:55 PM

is that a reflection of michael stipe in your first photo ? I miss him.

Posted by ha | April 13, 2012 12:29 AM

Yes micheal stipe was in attendance. I saw him. He had some pita triangle crumbs in his beard.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 1:49 AM

@12:20- Good catch! That is indeed Michael Stipe.

Posted by gc | April 13, 2012 2:01 AM

" The video work is relatively new and still growing, and I love that Ralf is continuing to take Kraftwerk in these kinds of intriguing territories."

Kraftwerk people to videos is basically EVERY Kraftwerk show since the '90s. Where have you been? Oh that's right, you were only a teenager.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 2:29 AM

Ladies and gentlemen (although some of you might not deserve those appellations based on your comments, many of which I suspect are simply ununformed), I attended the Radio-Activity show and make no mistake, jess elias is right. The show was absolutely stunning, technologically brilliant, emotionally captivating, musically astounding. This band is simply something special.

Posted by Frank Doris | April 13, 2012 9:53 AM

I am proud to state that I do not know a single song on that list.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 10:08 AM

^Proud or ignorant?

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 10:11 AM

^ I said proud, asswipe - or have you not gotten up to words that start with "i" in your LIC class yet?

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 10:32 AM

Personally, I never really enjoyed the band. I tried, but they really didn't speak to me. Just the same, this looks like it would be a fun experience. The problem with living in NYC is that you can't go to every fucking thing that comes around (not and hold down a job, raise a family, etc.)

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 10:35 AM

if you are into it then I'm sure it was great. But from what I've heard, it's a very specific taste. I don't think most people would dig this.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 10:36 AM

so a person who checks out an unfamiliar band with a friend who's a fan is a wannabe hipster, which is of course the only thing worse than a true hipster, which is of course the only thing worse than a true kraftwerk fan. in the case that one of these is a racist, he is bumped to the second to bottom spot, unless he is racist against whites in which case he may be bumped up one spot, but not to the top as that's too racist even if it is against a caucasoid. multiply by two, divide by reality and let's just jim jones the whole thing off.

Posted by Synonymous | April 13, 2012 10:45 AM

i think if you went to the show and you like Kraftwerk and you like to wtach 3D images behind Kraftwerk while they play live music for you then you would like this show.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 10:48 AM

10:36 FTW. Most insightful comment ever on BV. Give this guy a job.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 10:49 AM

10:45 you made me dizzy with your "logic". you may want to get that checked out.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 10:59 AM

Nah, 10:36 was a'ite but 10:35 gets the win for clarity brevity and honesty.

10:35 FTW

/eot

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 11:00 AM

none of these shows will come close to the ORIGINAL members playing the sahara tent at Coachella 04. that was one of the best shows ever...

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 11:27 AM

and there's ONE itchy and scratchy episode I'll NEVER forget

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 11:29 AM

^
fact

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 11:32 AM

Coachella 04 might have been amazing, but I was vewwy tired from the double header of Pixies and Radiohead.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 11:41 AM

It was an amazing night. And radioactivity might have been the best album.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 12:04 PM

So they just stood there in front of a huge TV?

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 12:22 PM

Let me see if I have this right - Kraftwerk put a shitload of time & creativity in to this show & performed it for famous people & people "who aren't in to them but got dragged there by a friend"?

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 12:24 PM

so it was stunning

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 12:41 PM

Oh stop. a LOT of the people in attendance were very much into them, fans for years and years or even those that brought their young kids... I stood next to a girl who looked about 7 who was mesmerized the entire time. Of course you'll note the small handful above who say they went and weren't in to them. That happens.. at a hell of a lot of shows. It doesn't mean that everyone who went were famous and thus had more rights to get to the show than others. I guess people are getting more pissy about this because it was just so limited, and it's hard to hear if people went who may not have been such die-hard fans or dare i say, deserving. Whatever... those who got the opportunity, love them or "not be into them" - consider it probably a very historical experience.

12:04 - it really is the best album, and those visuals were stunning! Gorgeous version of Ohm Sweet Ohm, one of my favorites.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 2:54 PM

Being there was like smoking DMT after ingesting an 1/8 ounce of p. cubensis. A psychedelic experience of German minimalism that gave my hair a perm. It was no joke. If you have tickets, you are in for a treat!

Posted by The Music Sniffer! | April 13, 2012 3:01 PM

It's not hard to mesmerize a 7 year old.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 3:32 PM

^ that's an interesting comment

Posted by the federal bureau of investigation | April 13, 2012 3:44 PM

@301 that is pretty accurate.

i went to 'radioactivity' and 'trans europe express.'

as an album, 'TEE' is better when played through - some of the tracks on 'radioactivity' are straight creepy. on the TEE night though, they made the mistake of not opening with 'the robots.' that's a great openener not only bc it's one of their better tracks, but the track with arguably the best 3d effects alongside it. i thought the radioactivity night was better than TEE; the crowd didn't get to taste the real 3D until about 35 minutes into the TEE show, which was probably a bad thing. when they opened with 'robots' at radioactivity they had the crowd from the first second.

all in all, incredible. you can tell whether someone is trolling or not by the way they describe it; it's that good. perfect sound, realistic 3d that is grafted around their position on stage so it looks like they are being enveloped by the shapes, and actually standing behind them.

i HIGHLY recommend that you try to stand in the exact center of the square performance space. This is the best place re: 3d effects. this way the shapes perfectly envelop the performers and it's just fucking nuts.

that being said, it is NOT rock and roll. it was just fucking cool as shit.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 5:20 PM

OK, if this is such a great show and they really perfected everything and put alot of effort into he performance(s), explain to me why they would put all that effort to play for the smallest amount of people possible.

Makes no sense unless they are just trying to prove what elitists they are.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 6:11 PM

@611 because this is a historical retrospective at a museum of modern art. their live performance = modern art. I thought that was pretty easy to get.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 6:31 PM

100 pictures later and the BV photog still can't figure out that he's too close for good shots. these pictures blow haha

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 6:43 PM

Pseudo art for the 1%.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2012 8:34 PM

Rome wasn't built. . .

Posted by Drop 2 tha Sky | April 13, 2012 8:52 PM

Constructive and thoughtful comments aside, the stream of primitive, unenlightened vitriol on here comes off as completely ineffective when the majority posts as "anonymous." Why are you all so terrified to represent and own your opinions? It's not like you're making threats against political leaders.

Posted by Glenn Belverio | April 13, 2012 10:36 PM

I'm still never going to MoMA after the ticket assfuck.

FUCK YOU.