Posted in music | tour dates on April 25, 2012

by Bill Pearis

Field Mouse
Field Mouse

It's late April, time for The L Magazine's annual "8 Bands You Need to Hear" list. Like always, there's a few you've probably heard, a few you've heard of, and a few who may be new to you entirely. Here's the list, with the artists' next next NYC area show (where applicable)

Field Mouse (May 3 at the Rock Shop)

Ski Lodge (May 24 at The Rock Shop)

Daytona (April 27 at Death by Audio)

Evi (5/3 at Brooklyn Bowl opening for James Chance)

Black Marble (May 3, opening for Light Asylum)

Starlight Girls (May 26 at Cameo Gallery)

Plates of Cake (No upcoming shows)

Ravens & Chimes (June 1 at WNYC Green Space)

If you'd like to hear these 8 bands "right now" there are Bandcamp streams for all of them at the bottom of this post. This year's Honorable Mentions list includes ">The Immaculates, Old Monk, Hunters and Trailblazer.

Also, The L Magazine's Northside Festival (June 14 - 21) announced its initial 2012 line-up last week. In addition to GZA, Ceremony and Neil Hamburger (whose Northside shows we mentioned already), bands confirmed for the music portion of the Fest (June 14 - 17) include Of Montreal, Tinariwen, ?uestlove, Dam-Funk, Kool Keith, Chain & the Gang, Magrudergrind and more. Badges are on-sale now.

Click through for streams from all "8 Bands You Need to Hear"

LOL Mag

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 1:23 PM

jesus christ Ravens & Chimes?

they've been playing average music that no one has noticed since 2007 in this city - why do we need to hear them right now?

Answer: You don't. L Magazine scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 1:26 PM

I don't think any band that names themselves "Plates of Cake" deserves to be heard at all, let alone "right now."

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 1:30 PM

plates of cake are gonna blow up any day now

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 1:30 PM

That ain't the bottom of the barrel. Trust me it get's much, much worse, not that I'm defending that choice, just saying, it get's way worse than that.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 1:33 PM

Ramens & Chives

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 1:34 PM

That's a decent looking white bitch. Nice cheeks bones or cheek bone makeup.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 1:39 PM

first.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 1:40 PM

broosevelts

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 1:43 PM

Yeah way late to the party on Ravens n Chimes. They were on WOXY way back in the day. L magazine got it right once - Pains of Being Pure at Heart.

I didn't realize this mag still published.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 1:44 PM

No Friends?

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 1:51 PM

With band names like these, I don't think you "need" to hear them.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 1:51 PM

PR Co.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 1:58 PM

Starlight Girls are fantastic

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 1:58 PM

BRING YOUR FORK THERE'S CAKE..PLATES OF CAKE GONNA BLOW UP IS RIGHT.

Posted by FRIDAY NIGHTCAP RADIO | April 25, 2012 2:00 PM

So that Plates of Cake song started and I was all "Damn they sure do like the hard panning" then the dude starting singing and I was like LOL dude is trying to be like The National but without any of the talent or charisma.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 2:00 PM

Sad state of affairs. What audience are these bands catering to?

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 2:07 PM

More like 8 bands you DON'T need to hear! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Right?!

Guys.

Amirite?!

fuck.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 2:09 PM

bands are supposed to cater to an audience?

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 2:09 PM

Bands are supposed to produce sounds that at least 1 person not in the band would acually want to hear.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 2:17 PM

I had a 1 in 8 chance of hearing a song I thought was good.

I'm 0 for 8.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 2:21 PM

Who? x8

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 2:24 PM

Yeah: "who?" is the point. They are trying to introduce readers to some bands that aren't broadly familiar to people, even in indie circles. Are all eight good? Probably not. Are some of them good? Yes. Is the fact that some of them have been around a while an argument against them being lauded now? Absolutely not. Should I stop taking the commenters seriously? I suspect so.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 2:51 PM

Guys, saying "who?" is not very good shit talking. The article title kind of implies you don't already know the bands

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 2:52 PM

wow. making Brooklyn look and sound worse by the year - thnx L, for another useless 8.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 3:05 PM

Rachel from Field Mouse is a babe.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 3:17 PM

This list did discover Vampire Weekend, Pains, Twin Sister, Oberhofer, and a bunch of others. Sure, lots are not good but pretty amazing track record since the SAME complaints each year and somehow one or two of these bands blow up.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 3:19 PM

Plates of Cake have no upcoming shows...after listening to the track I can understand why.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 3:19 PM

Why aren't the Hansome Pheasants on that list? They're definitely the best new Brooklyn band out there. What do the rest of you think?

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 3:26 PM

Never heard of HP and the tone/content of your post, 3:26, implies that you aren't a neutral party on such matters.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 3:28 PM

Way to go Plates of Cake. If I was going to be named on a best of list, I'd try to have some shows lined up and capitalize on the momentum.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 4:04 PM

You definitely play in or are fucking someone in Hansome Pheasants.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 4:08 PM

never heard of Hansome Pheasants but I'll definitely check em out now!!11!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 4:17 PM

I am thankful for L Magazine. When I leave the house the walk the dog, and I forget to bring along a plastic bag, there is always an L Magazine dispenser close by to assist. If you unfold it at the staple, it has just enough surface area to grab all the doodoo without getting any on my hand. Thanks L Magazine!

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 4:22 PM

I'm just going to go on record and say that you guys are pretty much all jerks. All of these bands are working hard to make music and it is highly unlikely that you took the time to listen to more than 30 seconds of any of them.

Grow the hell up. These people work hard, they don't need your dissing. Your band probably sucks a lot worse.

Posted by Shaw | April 25, 2012 6:20 PM

^we didn't ask them to do it. Brooklyn has enough bands. We're all stocked up.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 6:27 PM

I can assure you these bands don't work hard.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 6:28 PM

wow, their lists get worse every year

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 6:40 PM

or is it the talent pool that gets worse every year?

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 6:46 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 7:00 PM

I seem to recall that they also "discovered" My Teenage Stride, who remain one of the best and least indie-fame sucking bands in New York. Add that to the list of huge/fairly huge/occasionally even actually good bands people already mentioned here that they've beaten a lot of publications to and they wind up looking pretty good. It's just some coolness contest bullshit that people diss this magazine all the time. It may not be cool- it probably isn't, but people actually do read it and they've proven themselves right multiple times.

no, I do not work for L Magazine, or know anyone who does

Posted by kara | April 25, 2012 7:08 PM

Love for the lovers and fuck the haters, either you're making something cool or you're wasting your life on a blog talking shit. Thanks for posting this, Bill. Back to making something cool...

Posted by Starlight Girls | April 25, 2012 7:20 PM

Thanks to 3:26 I checked out a few Handsome Pheasants songs online and have to say they pretty much suck. I get why some people might like it, but I find them god awful.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 7:32 PM

at first i hated handsome pheasants. then i realized that they weren't real, its just a guy posting about a non-existent band on multiple blogs like this one and largehearted boy and i thought that was pretty fucking hilarious

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 7:41 PM

Jesuit Erection deserves a mention!

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 8:00 PM

1:26 PM is bitter cuz ravensandchimes beat his band in the deli readers poll.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 8:04 PM

Unless they get lucky and pull a Cold Cave, Black Marble probably won't break out in any major way but still...some pretty decent cold wave to these ears.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 8:08 PM

All terrible, but Starlight Girls are truly awful. They are almost as bad as Friends.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 8:28 PM

I like the K-Holes.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 10:20 PM

"Is this just like one jackass posting over and over again or is the whole internet really like this? Do you guys even like music?"

Actually I think it's just one fanboy jagoff who keeps posting about how the whole rest of the cyber universe that doesn't agree with his lame musical opinion are just jerks.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 10:56 PM

Nobody can say just when the King will stoop to fuck the barley.

Posted by seventhirds | April 26, 2012 12:23 AM

I find your views intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2012 12:55 AM

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 7:00 PM

Theres too many mediocre bands more than ever in the past and not enough candle stick makers or engineers.

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2012 12:56 AM

Candle stick makers? Listen here, wise-guy: How's about you join the rest of us in the 21st century. Or would your wit allow that?

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2012 1:52 AM

because not everyone likes to stick their candles where you like to stick your candles, wit notwithstanding.

Posted by ludd was right | April 26, 2012 6:05 AM

@4:04

Maybe next year you'll be on the list and can show everyone how it's done properly.

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2012 6:06 AM

FANBOY or FUNBOY?

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2012 1:32 PM

You guys are high. Half these bands are good.

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2012 1:34 PM

well black marble was an easy oick, its team robbes reformed (they rock in either incantation)

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2012 1:34 PM

er - i meant, incarnation
(need more chickpeas)

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2012 1:35 PM

Ski Lodge and Field Mouse are both great didn't hate the others but didn't love

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2012 1:39 PM

Look. Saying something "sucks" and saying "I don't like this" are very different things.

When you say you don't like something, you're being honest. You don't like my band? Fair enough. If I could see your iTunes I'd probably say "well duh, of course you would't like our music."

When you say "all these bands suck" you're just being a dick. Plain and simple, no way around it.

I you can't see through your mental conditioning then you have no perspective on the matter. We are all conditioned to like things that conform to what we think they should be and dislike everything else.

Psychology 101.

Posted by Shaw | April 26, 2012 1:44 PM

Saw Field Mouse open for Gauntlet Hair this past week. Didn't know who they were but they are good live and their singer is fucking hot. They could probably just coast on that.

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2012 1:45 PM

Plates of hummus > plates of cake

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2012 2:01 PM

@shaw
I'm sure (shawre) you are in one of the bands listed here. (full disclosure; I am also in one of them) There is really no point in trying to stand open armed against the tidal wave of negativity. BV comments are kind of an institution and using semantics and logic in your arguments will only be ignored or be met with accusations of you being, not a person but a plate of hummus.

The comments here don't represent the people out in the real world any more than the negative ones on youtube.com (popular website). If you scroll through all the articles you will notice that nothing is liked in the comment section. Sometimes it's just fun and ok to be negative.

The best way to look at this is that there are like 50 fucking comments here! That is huge. The only real insult on BV is when there are no comments. BURN.

Posted by Andrew | April 26, 2012 2:04 PM

"Field Mouse" sounds like an interesting band, I am going to check them out.

Posted by Ron Power | April 26, 2012 2:21 PM

To the people in the 8 bands lurking or posting here: 95% of the negative comments are trolls who have never listened to your music. period. Even with the clips right up there, they won't listen and just come to the comments to hate, thinking they are funny. So please don't take it to heart.

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2012 2:42 PM

> The only real insult on BV is when there are no comments. BURN.

TRUTH

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2012 2:44 PM

guy from ski lodge or guy field mouse gets it (both andrews)

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2012 2:48 PM

@2:48 i'm guy from Field Mouse

Posted by Andrew | April 26, 2012 2:50 PM

Field Mouse rules. End of story.

Also, props to Andrew from Field Mouse for posting on this thread.

Posted by Amanda | April 26, 2012 3:11 PM

I want to cum in Andrew's ear

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2012 3:24 PM

Some of you guys must be tone deaf, most of these bands are pretty chill. Loving Field Mouse and Ski Lodge most of all so far...

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2012 4:38 PM

Fat Possum is gonna scoop up Field Mouse and they will be touring with someone like The Shins within 12 months. Singer is a mega babe and they have already had a song premiere on stereogum. I'll bet 100 domestic beers.

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2012 5:12 PM

oh my god, field mouse and ravens & chimes are fucking fantastic. hope to see them on tour or something soon!

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2012 6:05 PM

yeah there is something to be said for the fact that all the blogs that picked up this story used a picture of field mouse

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2012 11:14 PM

^more specifically Rachel Browne. She might have a legitimate chance of having a career in show business. The rest of these dudes should probably consider their other options.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2012 1:55 AM

PLATES OF CAKE?
What kind of dumb a$$ name is that?

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2012 1:11 PM

@Andrew

OOOOHHHHHHH now I get it.

So what you're saying is I should really be like...

Fuck you guys. Fuck all these bands, they are fucking terrible and worthless. Not worth the time that it would take to click the play button, so I'm not going to bother listening, I'm just going to assume that anything associated with L Mag is garbage, based on previous disappointments from an era when I didn't live actually live in Brooklyn. Everyone should go kill themselves except for Michael Jackson, who is already dead, and maybe the drummer for the Black Keys. I can't wait for Iran to get a bomb so they can put all of these bands and Western music in general out of its misery.

(ps actually I really like you guys, you're gonna do great! Looking forward to playing with you at Northside :) )

Posted by Shaw | April 27, 2012 3:21 PM

Posted by hafiz | May 7, 2012 4:07 AM

I listen all 8 bands and i think all are good. I liked mostly Starlight Girls EP, they song are true good. Maybe the next time i will be there.

Posted by Cheapest Auto Insurance in Florida | May 27, 2012 8:42 AM