Posted in metal | music | pictures on April 23, 2012

photos by Jonathan McPhail

Refused

Refused headlined Terminal 5 last night (10/22). It was the first of a pair of quickly-sold-out shows at the big NYC venue, AND the band's first show on the East Coast since their split more than a decade ago. Though we didn't grab the full setlist, we can tell you it included a pair of Sick of It All covers, "Clobbering Time" and "Injustice System", with Sick Of It All's Lou Koller helping them on vocals! No video of that yet, but watch Refused playing "New Noise" with more pictures from the show below.

The second NYC show, back on sale, is tonight (4/23). Tonight was also supposed to be when the band appeared on late night TV, but they've announced that "Due to circumstances beyond our control we will not be performing on the Late Night with Jimmy Fallon show this Monday. They have rescheduled us for July when we're back in the US." The July dates they speak of hit the new Williamsburg Park in Brooklyn, and are with Off!. Off! also have a NYC date scheduled even sooner with The Coathangers (who have other shows scheduled and a new split) and Cerebral Ballzy who supported Refused at Terminal 5 last night (though we missed them).

The West Coast just had their share of Refused who played Coachella twice (check out weekend one and weekend two in pictures) and Pomona, CA and San Francisco (with the Hives who also play NYC this week).

Ceremony open for Refused tonight (4/23) and then head over to Mercury Lounge ( which is 16+ for the evening!) to play a late night show with Violent Bullshit. Tickets are still available for that and for Refused at Terminal 5.

More pictures and video from last night at T5, below...

Refused New Noise Terminal 5 New York 4/22/12

CEREMONYY!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 11:55 AM

Clobbering Time? pffttt....try YTINASNIL time!

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 11:59 AM

Try time for DiPaolo. It'll NEVER end.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 12:01 PM

this show was incredible. i had unfairly high expectations, and they more than delivered. they sounded amazing and the crowd was crazy. considering getting tix for tonight also..

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 12:01 PM

Last night was unreal!!! Holy Fuck!

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 12:02 PM

Best show I've ever seen at Terminal 5 and best reunion show I've seen. Refused fucking brought it.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 12:07 PM

Awww how can you NOT go on Jimmy?? Oh well hope everything is OK...btw, I want whoever does the lights for those guys to do lights for me at my little gigs on the lower east side...

Posted by Joshua Sanders | April 23, 2012 12:09 PM

Incredible fucking show.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 12:10 PM

SOIA is the best live band you'll ever see. Period.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 12:18 PM

Set times?

Fallon cancelled because of Obama tomorrow night in NC.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 12:19 PM

I walked out when they started the screaming vocals

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 12:19 PM

SOIA was the best live band in the world in 1993. After that, meh.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 12:27 PM

Clobberin Time (SOIA) w/ Lou
Injustice System (SOIA)
Shape of Punk To Come

New Noise
Tannhauser

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 12:31 PM

Ceremony at 8, Refused at about 9 or 915.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 12:33 PM

Should I know who these guys are?

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 12:45 PM

Video of "Injustice System" w/ Lou from Sick of It All.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 12:53 PM

Video of "Injustice System" w/ Lou from Sick of It All - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8fodO36Q1c

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 12:54 PM

Going again tonight in light of new tickets being released.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 12:56 PM

"SOIA was the best live band in the world in 1993. After that, meh."

They still put on a solid live show, but I realize they were more nuts in their prime in the 90's.

Best live show currently goes to: DEP.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 1:03 PM

For about 10 years I had dreamed of seeing this band in concert, thinking it would never happen. It surpassed my wildly high expectations. Unbelievable.

Posted by donovan | April 23, 2012 1:08 PM

great shots

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 1:12 PM

12:27 has never seen a SOIA show. Heard about it from his big brother. Used to wear big pants with chains all over and pushmoshed to Disturbed.

Sucker.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 1:14 PM

@1:03 DEAD END PATH RULES

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 1:16 PM

any truth to this Acheron shit?

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 1:19 PM

"I walked out when they started the screaming vocals"

troll?

"Should I know who these guys are?"

10yr old troll?

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 1:27 PM

SOIA is the best live band you'll ever see. Period.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 2:45 PM

2000 and lame zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 2:49 PM

God they fucking sucked at Coachella. I had decent expectations but it was embarrassing watching them. Trying way too hard and it just didnt stand the test of time. Oh, to be punk in Philly during the 90s again. A simpler time.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 2:50 PM

2:50

"Oh, to be punk in Philly during the 90s again. A simpler time."

A punk in Philly!?! Wow, you're a tool.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 3:23 PM

lol philly

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 3:28 PM

No, seriously, should I know who these guys are?

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 3:44 PM

No, you shouldn't know who you are. Bland, under the radar band at the time that's only being talked about now by people who were too young to understand how much they sucked the first time around but now are old enough to read blogs and believe everything thats hyped to them. Music for sheep.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 3:48 PM

"Oh, to be punk in Philly" - does that phrase give anyone else douche chills?

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 3:52 PM

3:48

I agree, no one should know who they are. Your mom is sheep.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 4:03 PM

I waited 14 years for that. Most intense set I've ever seen.

Ps yeah the lighting guy was as on as refused was last night.

I haven't really cared about a single live show in a long time, Refused made me want to see live music again last night.

Perfect combo of FTF and TSOPTC last night, with SOIA mixed in.

Also a reunion of 90's bands in the crowd, recognized lots of people that I forgot existed.

If you can go tonight, even if you are a refused skeptic, give it a shot and trust me, you'll thank me later. And if you were ever a huge Refused fan like I was, you will probably shit yourself. Set your expectations as high as you want, they'll deliver.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 4:11 PM

"Oh, to be punk in Philly..."

Redundant.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 4:19 PM

3:48 - You're certainly entitled to your opinion but you also have no idea what you're talking about.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 4:25 PM

3:48 sounds spot on to me

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 4:37 PM

how many of these negative posts are actually from D? i bet more than one.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 5:23 PM

Refused, while a bit short (75 minutes i think), was EXCELLENT. they sounded tight, were having fun, Dennis was very talkative and funny, and the crowd was way into it. He told some good strories from back in the day too.
also, they brought out Lou from SOIA! great Injustice System cover...very intense.
Cerebral Ballzy was alarming bad. That singer's schtick is super tired in 2012. They were worse than I thought they'd be.

setlist:
- Worms of the Senses / Faculties of the Skull
- The Refused Party Program
- Liberation Frequency
- Rather Be Dead
- Coup d'état
- Summerholidays vs. Punkroutine
- The Deadly Rhythm
- Hook, Line and Sinker
- Refused Are Fucking Dead
- Life Support Addiction
- Injustice System (Sick of It All cover)
- The Shape of Punk to Come
Encore:
- New Noise
- Tannhäuser / Derivè

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 5:24 PM

Can Brooklyn Vegan do some investigative journalism and do an article on how Bowery Presents always magically releases a bunch of tickets day of to their high demand shows.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 5:25 PM

It is an attempt to screw scalpers (good thing, imo). If there are tickets available, scalpers won't be around raping people. I realize some fools bought tix on stubhub/ebay, but they should have known to wait!

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 5:35 PM

Last time SOIA played a relevant show was at the Wetlands when Scratch The Surface came out.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 5:42 PM

It is by no means an attempt to screw scalpers because they don't let the public know and THEY sell the tickets themselves at inflated rates online.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 6:31 PM

cerebral ballzy is the worst fucking trustypunk band in the world.
I hope black sheep spent a ton of money getting them on that show.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 6:45 PM

Refused played a cover of a band who not only still exists but tours constantly and puts out new music steadily, and Lou Koller sang this song with them. WACK. Lou good job allowing yourself to be a pawn for Refused to say "We had Lou from Sick Of It All sing a SOIA song with us - see we're hardcore." Idiot.

No, I didn't go to this show, but I would like to send out a Terminal 5-sized FUCK YOU to EVERYONE who attended. You all come out 3000 strong a night back to back nights but you barely come out for real hardcore shows. Go back to the 1990s which are over like you and stay there.

Posted by D | April 23, 2012 7:44 PM

^Late shift at C-town last night?

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 8:09 PM

lol @ 7:44.

'Support the scene bullshit' from an asswipe in a shitty band that no one cares about now or ever will care about in the future.

People like you are the exact reason why everyone else grows up and out of hardcore.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 9:02 PM

5 years from now, Sick of of it all will still be putting out albums and touring to people who know what's up. The fact that people have the audacity to even put this corny-ass band in the same league as them, are the same people that 5 years from now, will be long gone, probably working at an insurance company, playing solitaire on their lunch break, and living in the suburbs of Pittsburgh. Good riddance.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 10:41 PM

7:44 goes to Cerebal Ballzy shows.

(drops microphone)

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2012 10:51 PM

They're playing right now at the Acheron.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 12:18 AM

"The lighting guy was as on as Refused was last night"

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 12:56 AM

There are a ton of hardcore shows going on all the time. There are very few good ones worth attending though.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 2:57 AM

That show was fucking intense, I thought about going to night two but probably couldn't handle it. Refused are the most dangerous band in the world. I can't imagine what a circle pit will look like with 5,000 in Brooklyn. That was the best concert I've ever seen and I've been going to hardcore shows for 16 years. Love to put all the haters in the pit.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 6:46 AM

anyone go to the acheron??

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 7:10 AM

Acheron was sick. Opened with an earth crisis cover.

And that's not a joke.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 8:44 AM

How did people find out about the Acheron gig? Where was it publicized?

10:41 - FYI, even when you don't post under "D," your moronic writing style is immediately recognizable.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 8:52 AM

Who?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 8:55 AM

they posted it on facebook - when i read the post it had already been an hour so i figured i missed out : /

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 8:59 AM

I have never heard the band refused, is that weird?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 9:01 AM

^ Not really since if you asked everybody around town, more people would probably say they haven't.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 9:20 AM

9:02 - which band is D's band?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 9:33 AM

MEH

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 9:33 AM

I play bass in Murphys Law.

Posted by D | April 24, 2012 9:56 AM

^ really?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 10:09 AM

Less than %10 percent of the people who went to this show actually saw Refused when they were together...

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 10:16 AM

10:16 works for the Department of Redundancy Department

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 10:27 AM

10:09 - I think someone is making yet another joke at D's expense. One of his initial rants was against Murphy's Law in an old Sham 69 thread.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 10:46 AM

this band sucks yo

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 10:47 AM

8:09pm C-Town? Oh you mean where you work, nah. How does it feel hating working at C-Town so much you have to project it onto me, make it like I work there? You'll get nowhere in life with self-denial, asshead.

8:52pm Yet you keep reading my shit so that makes you an even bigger moron, fuckhead.

9:02pm I'm not in a band, shithead.

Support the scene bullshit? My stance is how Refused existed to be able to play back to back sellout shows at Terminal 5, dickhead.

'Glad I ruffled your feathers, chickenshits too scared to post under names.

9:56pm LOL. Nice try. LOL @ me being so well-known on here I have impostors. I am truly flattered and happy I got to you that much. You all need it.

You people who went to Refused don't have a fucking clue about hardcore. Most if not all of you were never loners, outsiders, outcasts, rebels etc. just a bunch of well-adjusted fake-angry bitches pretending to be late '90s - early '00s hardcore for a day. How did it feel to leave "T5" after the Refused shows then when you arrived home at 1-3am realize your life sucks and what you went to was you going to be cool and in than really caring about what Refused have to say cuz quite honestly, you all love to talk a big game about what Refused have to say yet I see no social upheaval from it like I saw it firsthand in the '80s and very early '90s before NYHC/hardcore went thug posturing metal.

Refused playing SOIA and Earth Crisis covers for street cred LOL. Bigger LOLs that both bands are still around. Only a jerkoff band covers who's still around.

Posted by D | April 24, 2012 10:58 AM

Murphy's Law hasn't put out a good record since Back With A Bong. Why keep trying?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 11:08 AM

Oh yeah fuck Refused for playing the token small "DIY" venue (Acheron no Rio) after their big shows so they can say they still care about the little places when they don't.

Fuck their patronization.

Fuck them for picking Cerebral Ballzy to open their Sunday show and Ceremony to open their Monday show. Total music business industry pay to play bullshit. Of course CB sucked big time dick from at least TEN accounts I read from people who I doubt have anything to gain by saying that. They're a fucking joke which was never funny and will be even more of a bad joke when they play the show with OFF! Adult Swim paid to get them on next month.
Ceremony is played the fuck out, sick of seeing their name everywhere. They play NY more than most NY bands, that's weak.

Posted by D | April 24, 2012 11:10 AM

D, do you work? (not at C-Town, obv.)

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 11:22 AM

"Most if not all of you were never loners, outsiders, outcasts...."

D, are you Pee Wee Herman?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 11:44 AM

"chickenshits too scared to post under names."

Yes, because identifying as "D" is so much more personal than "Anonymous." Twat.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 11:46 AM

clown feces

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 11:50 AM

D needs to calm himself down and realize that no one cares about shitty hc bands or a 'scene.'

Also, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that the Refused dudes could give a fuck about punk/hc cred, especially since by default they kinda got it in spades and that none of them are lil' kids anymore.

And what's up with over-analyzing the hell out of everything? Did you ever stop to consider that playing shows is fun and that covering songs you listened to 20 years ago might also be fun? I'm guessing that if your band has been dead for 14 years and the reunion stint has an expiration date, getting offered a small show after a big one might be, what's the word.. fun.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 12:00 PM

^D is mentally ill. He is 39 years old, but in his head it's always 1988.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 12:02 PM

"Only a jerkoff band covers who's still around."

Actually, bands do covers of songs by other existing bands all the time.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 2:54 PM

I've asked it before. D, what hardcore bands DO you like? Since everyone else seems to suck according to you.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:12 PM

11:22pm Yes.

11:44pm No.

11:46pm Actually it is more personal, but the real word you're looking for is "honest", asswipe.

12:00pm Yet another dude who says no one cares blah blah blah yet posts like (because) he cares. Really? My nonexistent band can't reunite after 14 years? Awwww shucks!

How'd Refused get cred by "default"? Cuz they existed in the '90s and early '00s? Yeah 1998-2002 sure was the heydey/golden age of hardcore. LOL. 1990-93 wasn't even that and 1990-93 DESTROYS 1998-2002.

2:54pm They're wack for doing it.

3:12pm What bands DO I like? 'Doesn't matter who as I like bands. I check out new bands or bands I've never heard of including ones who are long gone and who broke up as late as a few months ago all the time.

Posted by D | April 25, 2012 3:11 AM

please god let D die a horrible, slow death.

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2012 12:27 AM

Great show! I almost crapped my pants when they played "boogie stop shuffle" during "deadly rhythm".

Posted by Philip | April 27, 2012 2:53 PM

^D is mentally ill. He is 39 years old, but in his head it's always 1988.

Posted by play | April 28, 2012 4:14 PM

Thank God I don't have to go to many shows with the douchebags that comment on here. Most of you haters sound like complete idiots when you try to talk shit. I'm sorry, SOIA SUCKS SO BAD and always has, along with most of the other fake-ass bullshit that comes from NY. I can't even count how many of you scene-snob pussies I've knocked out over the years in your own city right in front of all of the other fake, tough guy pussys that look, sound and act so fucking stupid. You guys are so dense that when you hear good music you have to pull out your little dicks, jerk off and trash them in favor of the most awful hardcore bands on the planet. You're not cool, not tough and most of you marble-mouth sounding dego poseurs from the city that never showers smell like shit. Nobody cares how cool you think you pussys are, the smarter people are just sitting back laughing our asses off at how pathetic you scumbags really are.

Posted by Davids | May 8, 2012 5:38 AM