Posted in metal | music | pictures on April 24, 2012

by BBG

Refused & Sick of It All's Lou Koller @ Terminal 5 - 4/23/2012
Refused

Let's cut to it. I like Refused. The Shape of Punk to Come is a good record, though not quite the benchmark that its namesake suggests. I find it flabbergasting that the band, who allegedly sold 45 tickets for a show in a Long Island basement before they broke up, can pack out two nights at Terminal 5? Insane. It makes me wonder if Deadguy or Botch attract even a fraction of that attention? Why didn't hardcore legends like Youth of Today or Gorilla Biscuits? It is, as Sick of It All's Lou Koller would say later that night, an "Injustice System".

Ceremony opened the show last night (4/23) at Terminal 5. I'm a fan of their live show (and a sometime fan of their recorded output), and have seen them many times, mostly in dank DIY spaces like ABC No Rio. Unfortunately, I don't think Ceremony has figured out how to translate their live show to such a big stage and their set suffered for it, which doesn't bode well for Warsaw on the horizon. For every ounce of disappointment that I felt, I'm sure it was made up for tenfold when they played the infinitely smaller Mercury Lounge later that night when the band lit up twitter with positive reviews.

Speaking of lighting up Twitter with good reviews... I thought Refused's set was good enough, not great. Vocalist Dennis was high-energy and sashayed around stage with a Mick Jagger swagger, even doing his best Iggy Pop by standing in the middle of the crowd. The band was air-tight and played the bulk of their The Shape of Punk To Come, lighting and aesthetics were simple and tasteful, the sound was surprisingly decent... it just wasn't quite the spectacle that so many have raved about.

To make matters worse, the room seemed all be waiting for the Swedish band's admittedly stellar single "New Noise." Mosh-pits and crowd-surfing were nowhere near as omnipresent as when that memorable solo-guitar riff kicked in and then, predictably, the room exploded. Even an appearance from Lou Koller of Sick of It All to do classic NYHC material, for the second night in a row, was met with some of that disappointing indifference.

Check out more pictures from the second night at Terminal 5 (first is here), with video of the Sick of It All part from night one, below.

Refused

REFUSED NYC 4/22 five full songs (w/ SOIA's Lou Koller "Injustice System") via Alyssa Tanchajja)

And then Acheron happened.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 2:56 PM

YTINASNIL > this

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 2:57 PM

"Got a nosebleed and had my glasses destroyed but it was worth it."

Hahahaha!!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:00 PM

Ross is starting to tuck his shirt in. This band is finished.

Nah just kidding. Wasnt at T5 but went to the show at Mercury Lounge. A bit sloppy at times (par for the course for Ceremony), but a great show.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:01 PM

Reviewer is a moron. Show was way more than just "good".

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:01 PM

BBG needs to stop writing reviews. What a worthless asshole.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:02 PM

"Went to both T5 shows. Totally amazing. Got a nosebleed and had my glasses destroyed but it was worth it."

What a surprise, a nerdy front-running hipster gets smacked around like a little bitch at a "punk" show. LOL

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:03 PM

I wanna get gangbanged by ceremony!

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:06 PM

>2012
>implying all people who post in BV comments aren't nerdy hipsters

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:08 PM

Refused would be a lot of fun to see live. If it wasn't at T5. And I was a teenager. And I was a retard. And I wouldn't have to bathe for it. And I worked at C-Town for $38/hr.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:11 PM

3:03 thinks this shows was a punk show. It was at T5!! lulz...

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:11 PM

ceremony crushed at both shows. who is this guy?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:27 PM

I couldn't care less about Refused, but what an obnoxiously written article. Basically tried to make the whole thing about you and your big ego.

"Suffice it to say, I skipped the secret Acheron show (announced that night). I'll skip Refused again when they're back with Off!. I'll go see Rorschach instead."

Probably too busy jerking off to your record collection while staring into a mirror.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:31 PM

I like how a review gets posted without the usual hyperbole and you all get so bent out of shape.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:35 PM

^ I notice a lot of BV articles about show that happened are not-so-subtlely to brag about oneself.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:38 PM

Review is coming from someone who likes Rorschach

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:38 PM

Merch booth asking for tips or was that the bar? That would be fucked up if it was the former.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:39 PM

I'm pretty sure that was the merch table. Rorschach rules, get a clue. Ceremony are getting too big for their ladies britches, not a good band.

Does anyone remember when Refused was a Bad generic Euro Straight Edge band until they picked up some Nation of Ulysses/ Make-up records?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:49 PM

there's nothing bragging in this article.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:50 PM

"3:03 thinks this shows was a punk show. It was at T5!! lulz..."

i'm fairly certain that the quotes around "punk" doesn't mean he/she thinks it's actually a punk show

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:53 PM

I walked out when people started pushing me. What the hell was that, a Jersey Shore themed show?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:55 PM

^merch booth

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:56 PM

2:56 would of probably been raped at this show:

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:59 PM

If you tip your bartenders you should tip people who sell merch. They're providing the same shitty service to shitty people.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:00 PM

it's nice to see goons have a night out

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:01 PM

Tipping the merch people to grab you a t-shirt is no different than tipping somebody to open up a beer can. Generous people tip for good service, assholes don't.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:01 PM

So many shady characters in attendance at that Ritz show in '91.

Lou's rat-tail was in full effect!

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:03 PM

remember when that chink shot up his school wearing a SOIA sweatshirt?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:07 PM

"it's nice to see goons have a night out"

That's Madison Square Garden with the playoffs.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:08 PM

@3:55, no that's a hardcore show. Get a clue.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:09 PM

4:01 is a clueless idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:13 PM

"Who are you and how dare you have an opinion?" says the anonymous Brooklyn Vegan commenter.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:18 PM

4:13 smells bad and his mom dresses him funny

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:19 PM

I was actually at that SOIA show in 91 and at the Refused show last night. Most people at last nights show would have feared for their lives during the set in 91. That being said, Refused killed it last night.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:21 PM

Re-used are cool and all but I agree with BBG that this whole thing might be a little over-hyped. I think a lot of the "OMG theyre amazing/legendary" type praise they have been receiving could be due to the usual Coachella Roundup-style hype that always comes around this time of year. The fact that the crowd was more excited about the hit single/movie and commercial soundtrack than some good true NYHC just shows that many of them were probly not around/old enough in the 90s to really take in this music, more likely they did a bunch of last minute cramming via youtube and mediafire when they heard about the reunion and realized they should already be on the bands wagon. Don't worry kids - being young is not a bad thing. You guys are totally necessary. You get bands paid the 2nd time around and that's important. I just get tired of hearing so much about it 15-20 years after the fact.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:22 PM

^you've had terrible taste for 20 years! And, yes, you're much too old for this.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:22 PM

Jesus, who is this band and why should I care?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:26 PM

What is "too old" for being into music? I wasn't aware there was a cut off date. Now, being young and stupid, well, only time will tell.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:26 PM

^it's simple, if you are at a hardcore show when you are older than 21 you're a big time loser. You're probably pushing 40. You were at a show w/ kids half your age. Normal people grow up & mature out of hardcore. It's a genre based on teenage male angst!! Maybe you should hook up with D. you could be buds.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:29 PM

4:29: "Normal people grow up & mature out of hardcore"

hahahaha, what a clown.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:33 PM

^ takes one to know one, fartface

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:34 PM

"takes one to know one, fartface"

huh?! Don't worry, 16 is a weird/awkward phase and age - It gets better. Go listen to Sick of it All and Sheer Terror; things 'might' get better.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:37 PM

4:29 is right. What kind of 40 year old goes to hardcore shows? Get a career/wife/kids/adult tastes in music.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:39 PM

4:29 FUCK YOU!!! After a long shift at C-Town I like to take my aggressions out in the pit.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:41 PM

4:29 and 4:39 are in their high school study hall.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:41 PM

I like Sweden and I like Nation of Ulysses, so I should like Refused right? (I admit I have never heard them.)

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:45 PM

Refused are decent hardcore/punk band i don't get why they are so fucking overhyped ..

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:49 PM

Kiddies - if you're swedish hero is bringing out someone from a NYHC band to sing a song, it might be a heads-up to go and check them out.

You might learn something.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:54 PM

This is a perfect example to show that the current lot of music industry/fans/hipsters are exactly 15 years behind..

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:57 PM

Enough of this nonsense ..listen to the Cro-Mags ....

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:58 PM

^
this.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 5:01 PM

Music for Bros masquerading as Hardcore Hipsters.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 5:03 PM

This is why genres and scenes bother me. Refused are a very tight, interesting and energetic band. I'm glad their audience has (seemingly) grown since their departure in 1998.

The band gave a great performance. The fans, new and old, enjoyed it. What the fuck is the problem? The politics of music is where the poseurs' minds will lurk.

Posted by mmmichael | April 24, 2012 5:04 PM

I stopped going to hardcore shows in 11th grade. You dudes who are 30+ really need to move on with your lives. (I'm look at you D)

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 5:10 PM

written by "lame dude"

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 5:14 PM

written from "tier two / VIP section / sitting on a stool with my girl"

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 5:15 PM

The ageist shit is boring and fucking stupid. Do you suddenly change your musical taste because you hit 35?
Anyhow, Refused are dull and cliched in every respect on their own quite fine regardless of their fans and their ages.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 5:16 PM

5:10 has got to be a joke. Noone in their right mind can be that stupid.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 5:18 PM

^You change ALL of your tastes as you get older. You're SUPPOSED to become more refined. It's natural. I'm 35 and find myself listening to more opera than rock music. I couldn't even imagine wanting to go to a hardcore show at this point.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 5:19 PM

Its true, some things change as you get older. Some things do not. As a kid, I went to hardcore shows and went bananas. As an adult, I went to THIS hardcore show and sat in VIP having some beers.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 5:24 PM

maybe you just weren't that into it originally? The common theme with the whole "hipster" culture here in BK is that it's for people who don't have any sense of identity. They've been involved in a multitude of different scenes/subcultures trying to find themselves. You stopped listening to hardcore and moved on, good for you. But somehow doing a 180 on an ENTIRE genre of music makes YOU weird, not us.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 5:27 PM

If you're not too old to post on BV you're not too old to go to hardcore shows

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 5:27 PM

^it music based on teen angst. It's sophomoric. Why would any adult identify with that? Tt's for kids. I guess I can understand the old dudes reuniting their bands for some scratch, but for the life of me I don't understand why anyone over 25 would identify with this scene.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 5:29 PM

opera huh?..great

Posted by suomynona | April 24, 2012 5:31 PM

^That and the hipster argument is ridiculous. I too am a grown man. The identification politics of youth culture aren't of any relevance to my life.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 5:32 PM

The age cut off bullshit is ridiculous. Saying that you have to be young to appreciate punk or hardcore is like saying you have to be old to appreciate classical music. Such a silly argument. And to all the "listen to old NYC hardcore over this Refused bullshit" comments, I love NYC hardcore too but there's a reason that Lou from SOIA chose to sing a song with Refused...it's because he's a FAN of the band.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 5:33 PM

Also, how does metal always get a free pass in this discussion? It's just as fucking immature as hardcore is, if not moreso.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 5:33 PM

The reason for Refused's success is for the sole reason that they wear tighter trousers than the rest of the hardcore bands...

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 5:35 PM

If you are over 30 and find yourself in the pit at a hardcore show, it's time to take a long hard look in the mirror.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 5:39 PM

The beautiful girl in the yellow dress, can you see yourself in the last picture? You liked my shirt, I'm dying to see you again...

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 6:00 PM

Flipper, Scratch Acid/Jesus Lizard, No Trend and TSOL...all bands I love that Ceremony borrows from. I really wanted to like them last night...but unfortunately it just seemed so forced and posed.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 6:08 PM

5:39 - The same could be said about posting comments on a music blog. I call bullshit on both.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 6:10 PM

^paradoxical!

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 6:18 PM

There were girls at the show? All I saw was a sausage party full of white dudes waaaaaay to old to be, ahem, "moshing". Bwaaahahahah!

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 6:19 PM

^middle aged and still sausages. It's a did damn shame.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 6:25 PM

Best Swedes in NYC these days are Hagelin and Lundquist.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 6:29 PM

Will any Swedish players make it to the Champions League final this year?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 6:34 PM

hey, if refused reforming for big bucks prevents gives kids an alternative to having to listen to fun, florence or foster the people, then they've done their job.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 7:17 PM

Amen to 7:17

Posted by BBG | April 24, 2012 7:30 PM

A bunch of old dudes playing dress up and pretending to be young.
/eot

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 9:05 PM

Was somebody looking for me?

Posted by Fartface | April 24, 2012 10:32 PM

bummer dude who posted this, put dumb wrong information.
show before the one in virginia was not on Long Island to 45 people. they never played long island on shape of punk to come, played there on record before with snap case. get your facts straight, dumb hipster. incredible band!!!

Posted by shawn | April 24, 2012 10:50 PM

Hey D, is what this dude above says true? ^^

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 11:04 PM

10:50 is calling D a liar!

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 11:06 PM

I just posted a video of the FULL SET from the secret show in Brooklyn that followed the T5 show! Enjoy. It was real. http://youtu.be/GYWNZlAmRg0

Posted by Jon | April 25, 2012 1:41 AM

5:10 You need to move on with your life and get off my dick, after you grow some balls and post under a name (too late.) You stopped going to shows in the 11th grade, yeah ok, and yet you're posting in the comments section about a Refused show.
I bet you're at least 30 and if so, you're pathetic because you're obsessing over me.

I don't have to go to another hardcore show again as I've seen most of the best there was / is to see. I am proud to have never seen Refused and this post is Exhibit A.

Thank you BBG for explaining how this overrated band sold out two nights at T5: their new single hipsters latched on to to be, well, hip.

Punkassed bitches. Fuck Ceremony, too. LOL that they sound like shit in a big room. Right, cuz they are shit, cuz good bands sound good regardless of the room (or stage) size.

Posted by D | April 25, 2012 1:55 AM

D 4:20!

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 2:04 AM

ABBA > Refused

LOL @ Lou Koller with a goatee to hide or put less emphasis on his double-chin. Nowadays he looks like Mike Patton if Patton got his hair done like Guy Fieri haha.

Lou sang a song to up Sick Of It All's profile, don't get it twisted that it's anything more than that like "he's a fan" bullshit. What a coincidnence that the one band he's a "fan" of had 3000 people in attendnace. It's a great move for SOIA but unfortunately I doubt most of the trendoids will look into SOIA because SOIA isn't a band they could ever register in their shallow brains. Many of you people forget that the majority of youth in America nowadays are either well-adjusted or that and think/act they're fucked up. A great chunk of them were at Refused Sunday and Monday.

'Know why Refused chose Cerebral Ballzy to open the show and not Sick Of It All as the middle act and CB or someone else as the opener? So they could make ALL the money and because SOIA won't play for nothing or peanuts or pay to like CB (Adult Swim.)

Posted by D | April 25, 2012 2:10 AM

FYI Shawn, that info regarding their Long Island show and attendance comes directly from the band. Thanks for reading.

Posted by BBG | April 25, 2012 7:11 AM

i'm 57 and I was there on Sunday night. bite me if you don't like it.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 8:52 AM

^ at 57 I think you may need to partake of come V1agra in order to even meet your side of that proposition, so no thanks!

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 9:17 AM

2:10 needs to learn proper grammar. Bet his name is Sven and from Sweden.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 9:32 AM

Your problem, BBG, is thinking after the years of lavishing praise over the absolute worst, most embarassing, most untalented metal shit on this page - is that anyone actually values your opinion. You think refused are overrated? GOOD. that just reinforces my love for them all that much more. Stick with your kiss-makeup danish speed metal acts.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 12:24 PM

8:52 is a kiddie fiddler

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 12:53 PM

12:24 is an angry, angry dude... and he loves him some refused... LOVES him some... mm-hmm.... ah yeah...

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 4:58 PM

How dare you say I like Danish speed metal!

Thanks for reading.

Posted by BBG | April 25, 2012 7:19 PM

You know BBG sucks because he takes his name from the worst possible DEP song.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 7:55 PM

Tipping people who sell merch is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 9:00 PM

BBG got owned! loser.

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2012 12:41 AM

Crowd was very young, great kids!
There were a lot of good looking girls too.
Looks like many of the people making comments in here were not at the show.

Posted by ME | April 26, 2012 5:39 AM

Yo "ME" -

So what if I wasn't at the show? I've heard Refused. I've also heard bands who destroy them.

Sorry I'm not buying the hype over this band who is back for one last cash-in and playing the music industry game (pay to play openers, big promoters, small venue and secret shows, having a NYHC guy sing a song with them so everyone sees they're "down" etc. ad nauseum.)

I could care less about how "young" a crowd is and there are lots of good looking girls all over NYC, man. What does the age and look of the crowd have to do with a hardcore show? I guess it was all about how young and goodlooking the crowd was and you ogling women half your age to slightly more than that, from what you wrote.

Posted by D | April 26, 2012 5:54 AM

The crowd's energy was high for Refused's entire set. It just got higher during New Noise.

So bitter.

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2012 6:43 PM

i Agree in every respect on their own quite fine regardless of their fans and their ages.
Thanks!

Posted by Construtora | May 6, 2012 8:41 PM

Posted by hafiz | May 7, 2012 4:15 AM

Me to! I post to let people know how cool is this page. I don't know is about the money but is cool! I just wait until the next time!

Posted by Arab Ladies | October 4, 2012 7:28 AM