Posted in metal | music | pictures on April 24, 2012

photos by Rebecca Reed, words by BBG

Refused

After seeing Refused at Terminal 5 last night (4/23, pictures coming), I wasn't interested in a second round within hours of the first, so I headed to Young Widows at Saint Vitus instead (pictures on the way). But there's no denying that seeing the reunited band, who just played two giant shows in NYC and giant shows at Coachella, in a small DIY space in Brooklyn, aka Acheron, is a rare opportunity. And that's exactly where they played for the third time in two NYC days last night around 1am.

Hopefully you caught my tweet in time to get in. Refused predictably packed the room to the gills via word-of-mouth with lines wrapping around the block. Pictures and video from that surprise appearance are below...

Refused

If you missed Refused at the three NYC shows and feel like you've missed out, you can still catch them at Williamsburg Park this summer with Off!

This reunion is seriously the best one since My Bloody Valentine...

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 11:35 AM

Boring as bird shit.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 11:36 AM

Who?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 11:36 AM

Can't wait till these dorks 15 minutes are done and then dissapear for another 10 years.

They sucked in the 90's and suck now. People have such garbage taste in music.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 11:40 AM

They were amazing at T5. Glad I went. This would have been amazing to go to - looks great.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 11:41 AM

11:40 go choke on a dick

They tore t5 down last night. one of the best performances i have ever seen. so fucking fun.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 11:42 AM

The Terminal 5 show last night was great. Surpassed any expectations. Haters will hate though. No accounting for taste I guess.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 11:43 AM

1140 listens to dirty projects and thinks he's hip!

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 11:45 AM

really fucking pissed i found out about tihs too late to get in. I can't believe they're playing firestorm. 14 year old me wet dream.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 11:46 AM

setlist?

Posted by d | April 24, 2012 11:46 AM

This isn't a new band?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 11:47 AM

Fucktards. That's all.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 11:48 AM

i never understood the love for these guys...cool they did the acheron show but id rather listen to deadguy.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 11:49 AM

this is single-guy music, amirite?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 11:51 AM

They are Shifty Shellshock's favorite band. Nuff' said.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 11:51 AM

Damn, that looked like quite the ripper.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 11:58 AM

11:42 just turned 20, been living in Williamsburg for the past 4 months and was into Disturbed a year ago.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 12:01 PM

11:40 listens to animal collective.

Go die in a fire.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 12:09 PM

"1140 listens to dirty projects and thinks he's hip!"

Actually, that sounds like a lot of people here that are into this band too.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 12:09 PM

Went for Refused stayed for the hummus

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 12:10 PM

Is this where I can order my pizza for lunch? Are you guys on shift yet?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 12:16 PM

11:49 is hoping to out obscure all of us.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 12:19 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 12:22 PM

dude...every album from the 90s on victory and equal vision sounded like shape of punk.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 12:26 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 12:31 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 12:33 PM

"if you can't at least respect "the shape of punk to come" and the fact that there were so little precedents for what that album was when it was written then you really need to get off your high horse. "

And there you have it folks all wrapped up for you in a nice bow. The answer to what the makeup of the majority of clueless idiots who comment in here is.

That statement from 12:22 has to be the most hilariously misinformed comment I have read in a long time. You are such a dummy. Try learning more about music you fuckwit.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 12:33 PM

This bands popularity only served to illustrate the end of punk/hardcore subculture. I have no issues with them and there are definitely worse bands but seriously, its not like theyre Poison Idea or Discharge... Theyre pretty middle of the road in every aspect otherwise they would have never been so widely accepted. Same goes for High on Fire who didnt really gain any kind of acceptance until it became fashionable to like obscure metal, similar to Eyehategod's sudden popularity.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 12:39 PM

I guess everyone who went to this show did not have to work today! Though I doubt they have jobs either! Must be nice!

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 12:42 PM

But have you seen my records? This Heat, Pere Ubu, Outsiders, Nation of Ulysses, Mars, The Trojans, The Black Dice, Todd Terry, the Germs, Section 25, Althea and Donna, Sexual Harrassment, a-ha, Pere Ubu, Dorothy Ashby, PIL, the Fania All-Stars, the Bar-Kays, the Human League, the Normal, Lou Reed, Scott Walker, Monks, Niagra...

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 12:43 PM

12:42 yes, no one works in front of a computer. You must be brilliant.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 12:46 PM

12:22 back. my b, i forgot the point of that genera was to keep it in the subculture and not bring it into the mainstream. i'll remember that for next time.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 12:47 PM

@12:42 their full time jobs are going to Occupy events. it's so DIY.

meanwhile I work at morgan stanley and go incognito to refused shows so all the anti-capitalists don't beat me up

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 12:47 PM

Ah, internet arguments. Great game! No one wins.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 1:07 PM

Hey 12:43, namedropping your entire "record collection" doesn't make you look cool. It just looks like you skimmed the front page of pitchfork and listed every band you saw, tool.

12:39: I think Born Against, Swing Kids, and Nation of Ulysses are all amazing bands, and none of that precludes me from thinking Refused is a great band and "Shape" was a great record. Quit fucking trolling and go listen to Florence and the Machine or some bullshit.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 1:15 PM

@1:15 pretty sure it was a reference to an lcd soundsystem song which ironically makes fun of people who namedrop their record collection and promote how "obscure" their taste in music is.

tool.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 1:17 PM

"12:22 um 13 Point Program to Destroy America? The Shape of Punk to Come was at best derivative and at worst plagiarism. It wasn't an important record at all."

Ah, couldn't agree more! To sum it up:

NOU >>>> The Refused

Album title:

13 Point Program to Destroy America? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Shape of Punk To Come

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 1:19 PM

Well, 1:17, I wouldn't know that because I don't listen to shitty fucking music. My mistake.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 1:20 PM

12:47 being a temp at a bank doesn't count.

Clown.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 1:29 PM

12:42 - we're all just miserably tired at the office :)

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 1:30 PM

Earth Crisis intro. That's fun

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 1:31 PM

1:29: Just waking up in your parents basement in your cum-encrusted underwear doesn't give your commentary much merit.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 1:37 PM

Who is this band???

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 1:43 PM

1:37 - LOL!

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 1:44 PM

yep, def single-guy music

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 1:48 PM

went to the mercury lounge ceremony show. & was still able to make it to this show as well. & i had to work this morning. you are all old & lazy with your only motivation being the tips of your fingers tapping away on a keyboard.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 2:03 PM

I like their change of attire to suit the venue. Music by morons for lemmings and fools. Punk rot.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 2:07 PM

wow this thread is vicious! are you all so mad that you didn't get to participate?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 2:23 PM

not at all. I would pay to NOT be there

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 2:25 PM

@ 2:07

Who the fuck wouldn't change out of sweaty ass clothes after the first show? No, rather for punk cred you gotta sit around in the same drenched threads if you're slated to play a few hours later.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 2:29 PM

225's mp3 collections contain everything from florence and the machine to the breakfast club soundtrack. he think he's wayyy too cool for refused.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 2:30 PM

Didn't they rip off two of Svenonius' bands? Is there an International Noise Conspiracy reunion right around the corner as well? Let's hope not.

Posted by sheepsaybahhhh | April 24, 2012 2:32 PM

^they are working on a Chain & The Gang ripoff as we speak!

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 2:34 PM

wow this is why this site is so lame. 99.99% are people talking out of their ass. just shut the fuck up already and listen to whatever you listen too. arguing on the internet just makes you look fucking stupid and immature. how old are all of you 15?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 2:40 PM

Newsflash...Nothing by Nation Of Ulysses sounds anything like Refused...and I'm a fan of both bands and anything pre Chain & The Gang that Svenonius has touched. Refused tore the roofs off last night...deal with it haters. p.s. Ceremony sucked at T5.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 2:43 PM

I think that D is hiding behind the Anonymous tag today. C'mon D - show yourself!

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 2:44 PM

^ what 2:43 said.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 2:50 PM

Refused would be a lot of fun to see live. If it wasn't at T5. And I was a teenager. And I was a retard. And I wouldn't have to bathe for it. And I worked at C-Town for $38/hr.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 2:54 PM

Sounds like these guys "Refuse" to be relevant! Ahahahahaha!

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 2:58 PM

Nigs aren't into this

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:18 PM

^ Cool story breh

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:32 PM

3:18: No, but that's because they're more into beating up and terrorizing nerdy self-important twerpy hipsters that are colonizing their lands just like the Indians had to deal with the colonists.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:39 PM

Geez, why is everyone on here always so cranky? Can't everyone just enjoy the music they like and not have to shit on everyone who likes something different? You guys do know that you can voluntarily pick and choose which posts you read and don't read, right? Unless you saw a post about Refused as your big opportunity to tell the world (ha!) how much you hate Refused and you are more awesome than anyone else. You are caricatures of yourselves.

PS - I don't ever read this blog because every post is followed by this same comment thread, so I'm sure plenty of people have written this same post to no avail. Fuck, I hope people have!
Also, my name is Jenny, not anonymous, or a timestamp.

Posted by Jenny | April 24, 2012 3:47 PM

hey guys, im fucking hardcore!!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:50 PM

2:54 ftw!

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 3:51 PM

"he think he's wayyy too cool for refused."

You don't have to really try too hard to be "too cool" for the Refused.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 4:02 PM

"The Deadly Rhythym" will be blasting away on my speakers while all of you hater fags don't make it in life, let alone the music business. You only listen to obscure bands from Sweden eh? Haha. The paycheck that those dudes earned the last few days is worth more than your souls. I went to both T5 shows and the fact that dudes voice was still working for the surprise gig in Brooklyn makes all of them perfect gentleman for showing up and changing our lives. Oh and I'm so fucking cool I listened to these guys long before the days of sleeping with your mothers and girlfriends.

Posted by Your Mom | April 24, 2012 4:18 PM

@1:15 youve failed to realize that im talking about people like you with your gay white belts.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 5:15 PM

"Went to the first show--walked out. Went to the second show--walked out. Wasn't even able to get into the third show in order to walk out."

12:33, walking out of shows is soooooooooooo 2011.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 5:32 PM

I forgot why I despise Brooklyn kids. Then I found this site. Then I read these comments. Then I realized I only despise you because I'll NEVER be as cool as you. Sigh.... Keep fighting the cynical, snarky, too-cool, "ruin things that might be fun to other people" fight. Maybe, just maybe, I can be like you guys someday.

Until then, I'll keep reading Pitchfork reviews and will see how I measure up on these comment boards.

Oh, and I had a fucking blast at the Acheron last night. Cue the hatingggggg.....NOW!

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 5:47 PM

What's got all your panties in a twist? The two shows at t5 were both awesome! I am so happy that a band I liked for more than a decade got together and came out to play for the people like me who wanted to hear their music. They were so appreciative of the fans they acquired too. It's nice to see people who are thankful for their success. They seem like a nice group of guys, I like their music, and I think it's great they played. There's so much hating going on in this thread, but I guess you are all suffering from protein deficiencies and living in Brooklyn.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 5:57 PM

My belts are way cooler than 5:15's taste in shitty "dance punk."

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 5:59 PM

the majority of the posters here only discovered ian svenonious after watching his obnoxious talk shows on vice and act like they were around in NOU's heyday.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 6:45 PM

Why does anybody defend Ian Svenonious? That guy has always sucked. Tim Green made NOU. Remember the Make Up? There is no defending that shit or this guy period.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 8:06 PM

Hey guys! That was the last fuck show by these old twats, for a while. I'm gonna twist up a chubby and smoke toast their exit from my city. Who's with me?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2012 9:08 PM

People posting things like "who is this?" and "is this a new band?" ...you're trying to be clever and elitist, but you're only exposing your own fraudulence. Get a clue.

People posting negative comments about how you don't like the band....Good for you, be glad you didn't go. Coming off bitter and angry that other people DID go and had fun seems really weird to me. What's the point?

Posted by herbierunion | April 25, 2012 2:21 AM

ABBA > Refused

I'm actually listening to ABBA's "Number Ones" cd right now.

5:47pm You are just as much of a hater as the haters you're whining about if not more.

Jenny - Cool you are posting under a name that isn't "Anonymous" like I post under D EVERY time I come on here, but it's not crankiness, it's people speaking their minds when they're not fighting each other. You enjoy Refused, cool,but you also have a guilty pleasure called reading BV or you wouldn't be going out of your way to post on here.

'Problem with BV comment sections is it ultimately turns into a fight and a pretty pointless one as most of the fighting is done between Anonymouses (I have to address them by time they posted.) One thing no one on here can say about me is that I look for a fight. I don't. If anything, I speak my mind and people pick fights with me. I don't help matters by sending it back but that's just my nature. I've achieved imposters and people mentioning me in comments I haven't even posted in status (some comments have both idiots) and it's pretty sad.

I'm on track 11 out of 18 of my ABBA cd :)

Posted by D | April 25, 2012 2:29 AM

So where did all of these Nation of Ulysses fans come from anyway? That band was criminally underrated for years.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 10:17 AM

nice to know it's still possible

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 10:30 AM

10:30 AM - "i can't believe this show happened. look at those videos, great crowd. you don't see concerts like that anymore."

Yeah you do. If you go to punk shows, that is.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 10:39 AM

@1039 i meant with good bands.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2012 11:19 AM

Hahaha. Some of the snobbiest comments I read here on this site, it's great.

REFUSED are fucking brilliant. I'm traveling to see them in another state.

Posted by Sarah | April 26, 2012 6:46 AM

lly left during that intermission?...you are fucking stupid. The second half was 50 times better than the beginning (no offence ladies, but it's true). I'm actually stunned that people

Posted by TN Pas Cher | May 16, 2012 3:01 AM

I was fucking gutted when I realized I was sitting on my couch without enough time to make it to Greenpoint to catch Pygmy Lush. Any set lists?
-----

Posted by wdyan | May 30, 2012 11:07 AM

I hope you do not miss. This summer will be incendiary. Peace!

Posted by jocuri mario | May 30, 2012 11:31 PM

these photos were in black and white with the face of the band!

Posted by Acompanhantes Brasilia | April 23, 2013 9:10 PM