Posted in interviews | music | veggie on May 18, 2012

GoogaMooga

Superfly presents the Great GoogaMooga this weekend (5/19-5/20) in Brooklyn's Prospect Park. As can you can see by the posted schedule, live music will be happening on two stages concurrently with food demonstrations, comedy and other entertainment while food is being served all around. Don't have one of the free tickets, and aren't planning on buying one either? Probably best to not show up then. At least that's what festival co-founder Kerry Black of Superfly told us in the interview that you can read in full below...

BV: Being that this is BrooklynVegan, I have to start out by asking... how are the vegan offerings looking at this thing? (I'm a little worried with Anthony Bourdain as one of your collaborators!).

Kerry Black: There will indeed be vegan options. I am a pretty massive meat eater (wait until you see Hamageddon!) but I am still amped to try a bunch of the vegetarian/vegan offerings like the Rosa Pie from Co.

You are the people behind Bonnaroo, Outside Lands and Jazzfest. They're all music festivals that serve food. Why do a food festival with a side of music this time?

We are following our passions. We started in music for that reason and food was another area that is exciting for us. And the food world has obviously been exploding in recent years. We also have a high end food and wine component at Outside Lands and saw a lot of success there. Ultimately we wanted to do a festival that brought the best of all facets together. Why do you have to go to a concert and eat hamburgers that taste like cardboard or go to a restaurant and listen to muzak? NYC has the best of everything, let's emulate that!

And how did you end up in Prospect Park, Brooklyn, NY?

The scene in Brooklyn perfectly represents the vibe that we are going for with this festival. It is a hotbed of creativity and most importantly has tons of great food, drink and music options.

About how many people are you expecting this weekend?

40k per day

The free tickets were obviously hard to come by. Was the demand larger than you anticipated? (Maybe not, since you thought to have tickets to a free event in the first place?)

We have been blown away by the interest in this festival. With what we believe to be a very strong offering, we did expect the tickets to be popular though.

Zero

Considering the demand for the cheap seats, all the action on Craigslist, and the huge difference in price for the ($267 per person per day) ExtraMooga tickets, have you thought about meeting people half way next time and offering a "not so cheap but still cheap" ticket?

We will of course evaluate of everything the happened this year and work on making things better next year. We expect to learn a lot this weekend!

Speaking of the ExtraMooga tickets, does having one of those guarantee entry into all the ExtraMooga offerings?

For the most part yes but a few of the venues do have smaller capacities that will be first come, first serve.

When I look at the music lineup I see a diversity of acts that not only will appeal to all ages and a wide audience, but who are cool and also proven entertainers with big sounds (and in many cases who can sell tickets). I'm especially impressed at your somewhat surreal decision to have NYC's own Japanese comic book punk band Peelander-Z play just a couple of hours before the legendary, and nothing like Peelander-Z, Hall & Oates. How did you go about booking the music for the main stages?

We wanted to find a great mix of styles that catered to Brooklyn's diversity & also wanted to have bands perform that had direct connections to the local Brooklyn community. And if you have ever heard Peelander-Z's song "S.T.E.A.K.", you must know they are perfect for a food event. They also played the after party at my wedding!

You've also managed to incorporate a lot of the NYC alt-comedy scene (if you want to call it that) into the party, though mainly just as part of ExtraMooga. The comedians, many of whom I'm guessing have also performed at Bonnaroo, include Brooklyn staples like ("Hot Tub" with) Kurt & Kristen, and extra big names like Patton Oswalt and notorious foodie Aziz Ansari....

One of the things we were trying to do with this festival was to do a new kind of food event. One that didn't take itself too seriously and was about a fun shared experience for you...and your closest 40k buddies.

and I actually have no idea where I'm going with this, so let's just end it here by asking... Anything else a music and comedy fan headed to Googa Mooga should know?

Don't sleep on the art, lots of great stuff to see as you eat and listen!

==========

Thanks for taking the time Kerry.

We Barbarians were rececently added to the fest's music lineup. The full schedule and more GoogaMooga info can be found at the fest's website.

"Considering the demand for the cheap seats... offering a "not so cheap but still cheap" ticket?"

This is the question on everyone's mind. I think a measly $5-10 cover would make this event so much better.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 10:43 AM

40K a day? fuck. it's going to be a nightmare in there.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 10:57 AM

Remember when life was normal in the city and a free event in a public park meant that you could just show up?

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 10:58 AM

"What are my chances of getting in if I show up with no ticket and less than $250 cash on Saturday or Sunday?"
"Zero"

way to go promoter. Nice to see you know how to spread good will for a start up festival.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 11:01 AM

"Wow, I wasn't even planning to go to this, but this comes across as a total A-hole statement."

In the promoter's defense, they are dealing with throwing a fest that 40k people a day are about to come to, and he probably just had crowd control on his mind when he answered that.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 11:07 AM

really 11:01. the guy was asked what his chances of getting in would be without a ticket and the answer was "zero". that's an asshole? would you prefer he say that there's plenty of ways to sneak in without a ticket, everyone should just show up? they're already expecting 40,000 people a day, tickets were free.

personally i think the whole thing's going to be a shit show (long lines, food outages, etc.), but there's certainly nothing wrong with telling people not to show up if they don't have a ticket or don't want to buy one.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 11:09 AM

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 11:10 AM

"Yeah, let's make a free event an elite event by shutting out people for free after letting in so many people for free or charging people that weren't lucky enough to get one of the 40,000 free tickets $250"

It's called "capacity"

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 11:12 AM

11:07... ever hear of first come first served? LIke they do with ALMOST EVERY OTHER LARGE SCALE FREE EVENT IN THE NYC PARK SYSTEM? The Bandshell concerts are just show up. The Coney Island shows are just show up. Summerstage is just show up.

Hell, all the street fairs in the city are just show up. And this seems more like a street fair in the park.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 11:13 AM

11:12, there's no way that this will remain at "capacity" steadily throughout the entire two days. IF the capacity is let's say 40,000 do you think there will always be 40,000 people there for two days straight? No way in hell. A cool way to do this would be the normal way which is when people leave they let other people in.

Instead they have to be dicks about it by saying in advance don't come if you don't have a ticket because your chances will be zero, or pay $250.

Guaranteed there will be more than enough room at various points over the weekend to fit more people in.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 11:17 AM

I appreciate the fact that he said "zero."

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 11:22 AM

All you bitching people just need to back off a bit - if you didn't get a free ticket...sorry and too bad. If you bought an Extra ticket, good for you. Hopefully everyone will just have a good time.

If you don't want to go, then why even comment? If you can't afford it and you didn't get a free ticket, it's okay to be bummed but really? How many people that REALLY wanted to go didn't get tickets?

When did blog equate to bitch fest? Oh that's right, from the very beginning.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 11:23 AM

11:09...

Everyone knows that for a two day festival that's free many many people will just grab the tickets but not go. The laws of 'averages' would suggest that if 40,000 people asked for free tickets, a sizeable portion of those people have no intention of going, or will have made other plans between the time they got the free tickets and the event, or got sick, or had to work, etc etc etc. and not show up.

Hell, a large number of people may just go for a few minutes or a half an hour and leave.

To not have stand by tickets for people that missed the giveaway is just bad public relations/consumer relations for a free start up festival.

To tell the world that there will be zero chance to get in when indeed there will be times during the festival that there may indeed be space is obnoxious, especially when they are trying to push the $250 tickets.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 11:24 AM

"A cool way to do this would be the normal way which is when people leave they let other people in."

That's really adorable. So you would rather have to be stuck in a line outside with no guarantee of getting in?

How about this -- if you missed out getting free tickets, you weren't paying attention. They were available for a good hour after they went on "sale"

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 11:24 AM

'One that didn't take itself too seriously'

wow, ironic statement considering the 'zero' possibility of getting in to a free event in a public park or paying $250 to get in.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 11:26 AM

11:09 gets it

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 11:30 AM

11:23

I have a right to bitch and moan.

I was out of town when this was announced. I did not have an opportunity to get one of the 40,000 free tickets. I know that's my own tough luck.

However, knowing that up to 40,000 free tickets were given out and that they can obviously fit a few more in if they had a standby line but that now they will not allow me into the event at any point over the two days unless I pay $250 pisses me off.

Do you really think I could have a good time walking around this thing having paid $250 when everyone else there for free?

My thoughts now are GO F yerself Googa.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 11:33 AM

pshhh who cares about this. Radiohead will be in town in two weeks and the comment section will blow up about how great or bad the show was....well actually I'll say that people will complain about not enough old songs!

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 11:33 AM

i missed out on the two times free tickets were offered, not because i wasn't paying attention but was unable to get through. but since i live close by, i wanted to attend. so i made that happen by asking everyone i know if they had any extras, and low and behold someone did! if that doesn't work for you, 20 bucks is a pretty good deal to get into this thing regardless if it was free at some point. i would have willingly paid that amount to see the Roots in any other scenario.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 11:35 AM

It's not adorable, it's the normal way something like this should work.

And yes I would much rather have a choice if I want to to be stuck in a line outside with no guarantee of getting in, rather than have the promoter obnoxiously say in an interview that I should stay home.

Pissing people off before the thing even is underway is bad for publicity.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 11:36 AM

It's funny. The guy that said 'zero' is obviously a dick.

It's a park. It's a two day long event. If they expect 40,000 people someone will have an extra ticket. Lots of people will. Unless they are douchebags about it and refuse to let it anyone that hasn;t already 'registered' anyone will be able to get into this nonsence.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 11:39 AM

If it's free, just let people come and go when they want until they reach capacity which will of course go up and down over the weekend.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 11:44 AM

and the backlash has already begun.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 11:44 AM

this is just another example of control. They want you to register so that they can get your email addresses and sell the email lists. They want to get all your information. That is why they don't just let you anonymously wander in.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 11:47 AM

"the whole concept of issuing free tickets to a free event and then at the same time selling $250 tickets is really pretentious."

Except the $250 tickets come with unlimited food and drink and access to extra events, so...

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 11:49 AM

I'm sure the vendors will be really happy to learn that the promoter of the event is telling people that they have zero chance of getting in if they don't already have a ticket.

The capacity number is just a promoter's projection. What if half of those people don't show up, or get bored and leave?

To know that the promoter is turning away potential replacement customers would get me mad if I was selling food there.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 11:50 AM

I'm gonna show up without a ticket and less than $250 just to prove him wrong.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 11:51 AM

So what should his answer have been? Show up and wait in line with no guarantee of getting in?

Then you could all come here on Monday and complain about not getting in with the false hope that you COULD get in?

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 12:01 PM

I wonder if Aziz Ansari will mind if I stand up front during his act and just talk on my cell phone the whole time? I can't see why not, since he certainly likes to do that when he's at Bowery Ballroom.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 12:07 PM

yes that is what his answer should have been.

Everyone knows that with a large enough crowd for an event that spans that much time, and with a customer base that paid nothing to attend, that there will be opportunities to allow a few more people in if they were running this correctly.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 12:08 PM

If I waited and didn't get in that would be my choice. For the promoter to tell me to stay home is just rude and makes me not even want to try.

He gets what he wants, I stay away. One less potential customer for a no show. smart business move.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 12:10 PM

a simple "probably not" or "I don't think so" would have better and a little nicer than "zero". That's just a dick thing to say.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 12:11 PM

rather egotistical to assume that all of the tickets that were given out will be used.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 12:12 PM

This is just a street fair for hipsters inside a park.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 12:14 PM

I'm gonna stick my wiener in the hummus, just because I got one of the free tickets and just because I can.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 12:14 PM

Prospect Park will be filled with 40,000 more assholes than usual this weekend, which is too bad, becuase I like going to the park on the weekend.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 12:16 PM

Is this really this big of an event? I don't have the least bit of interest, but all of these comments are making me wonder if i'm wrong.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 12:18 PM

It's not that big of an event. They are just creating hype by controlling the free ticket distribution and making people feel there is way more demand than there actually is and pissing a few people off in the process.

that's all.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 12:23 PM

yeah, if they just said it was free come on down, no one would care.

By giving out 40,000 'limited' tickets on line and then telling people they can't come if they don't have one of those, but they could pay $250, they give the false impression that it's really hot and that it's worth that much to get in.

ridiculous.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 12:25 PM

You're not wrong. This event is not a big deal. They supposedly gave away tens of thousands of tickets and no one gave a sh*t. but there are probably a small handful, like two or three people on here who didn't get them and are annoyed at the promotors attitude in the interview.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 12:27 PM

Are there even 40,000 hipsters in Brooklyn?

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 12:28 PM

I can't see 40k showing up for this unless the promoter is bussing in people from all parts N, E, S + W.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 12:32 PM

If I paid $250 for one of those premiere tickets the very last thing I would want to hear is that I'll be surrounded by 40,000 assholes for my trouble.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 12:34 PM

Whiny bitches, you missed out on 3 separate ticket releases - early, standard and facebook announcement. If you were so interested in going, how much attention were you really paying? "Zero."

Posted by hungry | May 18, 2012 12:37 PM

Unfortunately, there are billions of hipsters in Brooklyn. Or at least it feels that way.

This guy runs Bonnaroo and we all sit back like he doesn't know what he's doing. That's what's funny.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 12:39 PM

Does there really need to be three separate ticket releases for a free event in a park?

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 12:49 PM

So, if there was indeed three separate on line ticket releases, then why didn't they set it up for a fourth ticket release on site, day of?

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 12:51 PM

believe me if you don't have a ticket and you want to go, you'll be able to at some point over the weekend. The interview guy was being a jerk and trying to create hype.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 12:52 PM

12:51 - because you would have shown up late anyway and complained about that.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 12:53 PM

this seems even more pretentious than the Brooklyn Flea food booths

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 12:56 PM

will the fat girl from gossip be doing a double cheeseburger eating exhibition?

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 12:58 PM

almost all concert related personal (promoters, talent bookers, etc) are complete douchebags, especially in this fucking city.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 12:59 PM

They probably put a halt on the free tickets because no one bought the $250 ones.

i'll bet there is plenty of space in there this weekend.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 1:06 PM

"We have been blown away by the interest in this festival."

Ha HA HA. People will snap up free tickets to anything, especially young hipsters.

Try selling these tickets, you would see how much interest there really was. Oh wait, you are selling these tickets, and look the paid tickets are not sold out.

There is your interest.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 1:12 PM

They should just rename this "Williamsburg in Prospect Park"

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 1:13 PM

$250 is pretty expensive for a food festival. More than the Pebble Beach and Wine (which has far better food), but cheaper than Aspen Food & Wine. Aspen F&W gives you a ton though (multiple days, etc..).

$250 for a bunch of local chefs? Fail.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 1:27 PM

^ pretty sure you've written that exact comment in other threads on this topic before. you really want to drive that point home, eh?

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 1:29 PM

zero point zero

Posted by Baba Booey to y'all | May 18, 2012 1:32 PM

so what time is Radiohead's set?

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 1:39 PM

The nice thing about the ticketing fiasco is that it's kept people from bitching about how terrible the lineup is. Sunday is a turd salad, culminating in Hall & Oates? How abysmal. May that place be struck with fire and locust plagues.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 1:45 PM

All of you cocksmoking, snarksippin' douchemonger, bitchsters are seriously offended by someone giving a clear and direct answer?

After years and years of shitspweing on this website?

Figures.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 2:03 PM

Is there going to be $250 cocksmoking, snarksippin' and douchemongering there this weekend? If so, I'm in!

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 2:28 PM

Hall and Oats played a free show in Brooklyn a few years back, in Coney Island. It was free, and no tickets were required. Everyone that wanted to go, just went and got in. No big deal.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 2:30 PM

There's no ticket fiasco. It's just the promoter being a jerk.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 2:31 PM

i have a Jeff Mangum Friday pass - will I get in?

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 2:36 PM

this is my generation's woodstock!

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 2:55 PM

You people are all so lame.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 3:03 PM

turd salad. yes, Charles Bradley is abysmal. go back to Ohio

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 3:10 PM

Where's my free ticket so that I can spend money on designer food and watch Hall and Oats?

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 3:21 PM

oh, here she comes. watch out boy, she'll chew you up!

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 3:23 PM

Get to the "workin' overtime" part!

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 3:45 PM

pretty sure the point here IS the food. the music actually kinda adds value. So you spend $80 on food and see 3 or 4 neat bands. seems like a wash to me

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 3:52 PM

I will get a bag of pita chips, a tub of Sabra hummus and bring my iPod to Central Park. I win!

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 4:29 PM

Hall and Oats takes away value.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 4:51 PM

If you paid the $250 you also get a free anal douche for Sunday's 'show'.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 10:27 PM

I just saw the grounds. You will all eat your words come Monday. It's amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2012 10:54 PM

If there is ine thing I dislike more then a hipster, it's a foodie.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2012 7:57 AM

$250 tickets include unlimited food and beer/wine, comedians, panels, etc. Don't know why people think that the free tix are exactly the same as the paid tickets...Oh right...I forgot that a lot of people complain about something that they know nothing about...

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2012 1:22 PM

how many people showed up?

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2012 1:33 PM

I snuck right in. Ate my hummus, and walked the fuck out. What?

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2012 5:23 PM

Horrible setup. You had to buy a "Gogga Moula" card in order to drink wine/beer in the designated tents. The organizers totally fucked up when their network went down - people waiting for hours on end. Eventually they switched to tickets but at that point it was obvious that anyone with a brain was leaving. They simply weren't going to make things better.

The beverage stands (where you could buy beer/water/soda) were being run by complete assholes who had no clue how to pour beer.
They were pouring to order, rather than having drinks ready.

The few food items that I had were great. No complaints and the food lines were still pretty reasonable at 1PM.

Kerry Black's attitude above shows why this event failed. Egos clearly got in the way of this being a success. At least I got to see Marcus Samuelsson tweet from the back of a golf cart driven by some slack jawed teenager. Seriously Kerry Black - perhaps if you put the coke straw down and looked up from that mirror, you'd realize that you fucked over everyone today.

Hope Aziz had a great time! Assshole.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2012 8:06 PM

Pretty much sucked

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2012 8:32 PM

When it all comes down to it this is what Googa Mooga was

If that was what you were looking for then hope you had fun.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2012 8:56 PM

When it all comes down to it this is what Googa Mooga was
A chance to spend a beautiful day out In the park paying for overpriced food and drink from local restaurants. Waiting on extremely long lines. Hearing a few bands with the headliner being a band that whores itself out for anyone who asks
If that was what you were looking for then hope you had fun.

Also the VIP extra Mooga press area in front of the main stage was bigger than Bowery ballroom. Disgusting display And pretty empty most of the day.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2012 8:59 PM

I took a shit in my pants.

Posted by Donny Mike | May 19, 2012 9:24 PM