Posted in music | tour dates on May 8, 2012

Lou with Refused at Terminal 5 (more by BBG)
Lou Koller of SOIA

As originally discovered back in January, and further confirmed in Summerstage's 2012 schedule (but previously with no artists) CBGB is throwing a festival...

The four-day festival is scheduled to begin on July 5 and will showcase about 300 rock bands. Concerts will take place at around 30 places, from large stages like Central Park Summerstage and Webster Hall to small clubs like the Trash Bar in Williamsburg and the Living Room on the Lower East Side...

The festival will also stage a free concert in Central Park with Guided by Voices, the Pains of Being Pure at Heart and Cloud Nothings [on July 7]. A few veteran rockers have agreed to appear: David Johansen, a former member of the New York Dolls, has committed to do a show, as has the Baseball Project, the supergroup formed by Peter Buck of R.E.M. and Steve Wynn of Dream Syndicate. -[NY Times]

A few other confirmed shows as part of the festival have emerged too. Sick of It All will join Vision of Disorder, Cro-Mags, Absolution and Sai Nam for a show at Webster Hall on July 6th. Tickets are on sale.

D Generation will headline Bowery Electric on July 7th with ROMANS, Brass Knuckle Evangelists and The Bamboo Kids. Tickets are on sale.

Stay tuned for more (including the full lineup announcement).

VOD/SOIA/Cro-Mags >>>>>> TPOBPAH/GBV

Crushed again! Show respekt!!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 10:19 AM

Nothing says punk like a Brooks Brothers Non-Iron colored print shirt

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 10:20 AM

vod...they were awful in 1996 at wetlands and coney island high...wonder how comical they could be as fat middle aged guys.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 10:21 AM

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 10:25 AM

10:21 - Probably about as comical as you as a fat middle aged guy.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 10:25 AM

Glad they finally announced the lineup, but wish it was intelligible beyond the Central Park Show. There's nothing on the website under "Schedule," not even where those bands are playing. Just... nothing.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 10:40 AM

These fan-bases are going to clash. The SOIA/Cro-Mag goons are not going to like the GBV hippies one bit.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 10:41 AM

10:25 you are the worst kind of asshole.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 10:42 AM

A "festival" in the name of a venue that hasn't existed in a decade and hadn't been relevant for 2 decades.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 10:45 AM

10:41: Reminds me of the time I went to see Clutch who had Coheed (of all bands!) opening for them. Needless to say, the fans mixed like oil and water. But I think this is more discerning lol.

BTW, VOD were probably better in 1998 than in 1996 as they had the superior record Imprint. No they're not really fat, but even getting close to middle aged, they still pack more energy into a show than most bands out there that are in their 20s. Boo yow.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 10:46 AM

10:45 you need a math class. CBGB closed in late 2006, it's not even the middle of 2012 yet.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 10:48 AM

D is probably going to wind up going to jail for punching one of the GBV hippies.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 10:50 AM

Uh-- yeah, we need another CMJ.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 10:53 AM

10:50 haha

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 10:54 AM

"That free GBV gig is going to be a shit show. They should just charge admission to keep the rif raff out. I hate free shows (and people that go to them!)"

I agree. Too many people going to free shows just because it is free. They should at least charge a nominal amount to keep the riffraff out.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 11:01 AM

Yup, these two fanbases are on a real collision course... to two separate dates in two separate venues.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 11:03 AM

you guys should stop using the word "rifraf"

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 11:10 AM

GBV is the only band that matters in this sad sad line up.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 11:14 AM

Besides folks, this is like GBV's 5th NYC reunion show. It won't be problem.

Just steer clear of those angry CroMags fans. From the day before.
At Webster Hall.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 11:17 AM

riff raff. street rat. i dont, but that. ...if only they'd look cloooooooooooooooooooooooooserrrrrrrrrrrr

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 11:19 AM

Sounds like the CBGB I remember: 300 bands, 50 of which you might actually care about.

Posted by Jim Testa | May 8, 2012 11:23 AM

10:50 - someone should tell D that his time out is over then, I think that he's still in the corner. You wanna do that for us?

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 11:24 AM

11:03: Yeah, true.

Don't be a pussy, 11:17. Most Cromags fans aren't angry they won't hurt you or anything. But I understand it is hard to break out of your peceptions distorted by indie manure.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 11:25 AM

I love how you guys always argue about GBV - it's like arguing about earthworms or puddles

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 11:37 AM

I love GBV!

Posted by D | May 8, 2012 11:40 AM

11:25... I think that was a joke, since the cro-mags & GBV shows aren't actually gonna cross paths.

I do generally walk around watching my back for cro-mags fans though.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 11:41 AM

11:24 he needs a few more days. Maybe he can finally understand what anonymous' is.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 11:44 AM

LOL @ CBGB using a pic of Harley in the Cro-Mags description when Harley isn't in the band (which is a Cro-Mags cover band calling themselves Cro-Mags without him but whatever.)

Posted by D | May 8, 2012 11:51 AM

11:41: I know. I got your joke there, and I was agreeing with it lol. Yeah, I mean SOME hardcore fans are a little crazy, I just steer clear myself, but not everyone is like that.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 11:51 AM

11:44am I post as D. Therefore, I am not anonymous. Maybe you can finally understand what the "Name" field is for, come up with a name for it, and post under that name, dumbass.

Posted by D | May 8, 2012 11:57 AM

shhh.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 11:59 AM

Did Pains of Being Pure at Heart and Cloud Nothings ever play at CBGB?

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 12:08 PM

D is on time-out until he works on his petulance.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 12:09 PM

D is the gayest letter. It's the dumbest letter as well, but that's self-evident.

Posted by P | May 8, 2012 12:10 PM

10:46, you must be from LI

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 12:13 PM

I post as "Anonymous". Therefore, I am not anonymous. Maybe you can finally understand what the "Name" field is for, come up with a name for it, and post under that name, dumbass.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 12:29 PM

I sure hope riff raff brings mongo and heathcliff with him!

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 12:33 PM

LOOKIT MEEEEE LOOKIT MEEE I'M NOT ANONYMOUS ANY MOOOOOORE!!!!!!11!111!!!!

Posted by Josh | May 8, 2012 12:35 PM

D is who Joey Ramone would have ended up to be if he never joined a band

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 12:37 PM

12:13: So?

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 12:39 PM

This. Is. Freakin. Awesome

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 12:47 PM

This is 12:29pm trying to be cute:

"I post as 'Anonymous'. Therefore, I am not anonymous. Maybe you can finally understand what the 'Name' field is for, come up with a name for it, and post under that name, dumbass."

I came up with a name: D

Practice what you preach, you fuckin' anonymous shithead.

12:35pm Good boy, Josh.

12:37pm Uh huh huh huh yur so clevur.

Posted by D | May 8, 2012 12:48 PM

Please for the love of the internet make this stop. He (D) doesn't get it.

Posted by Anonymous Prime | May 8, 2012 12:56 PM

^ Get what? What is there to "get"? Explain please.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 12:58 PM

hang on.

is webster hall moving off ticketmaster and on to ticketweb? is it 2003 again?

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 1:10 PM

My name is Gerald, I write 90% of the comments on BrooklynVegan and I hate fun.

Posted by Gerald | May 8, 2012 1:12 PM

No more anonymous for me either! :)

Posted by Hummus Guy | May 8, 2012 1:20 PM

"Anonymous Prime"
LULZ - You win the internet for the next 2 hours. Spend it wisely my son.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 1:23 PM

I always wanted to be the first name called out in homeroom

Posted by Used To Be "D" But Now I'm Just "A" | May 8, 2012 1:28 PM

I'm done with being Anonymous as well. What do you guys think I was doing when I was recovering from knee surgery?

Posted by Jeremy Lin | May 8, 2012 1:37 PM

D thinks he's less anonymous than "anonymous." He's marginally correct, but since there's no filter on who calls themselves what, I might not even be Anonymous Prime... but I am.

Posted by Anonymous Prime | May 8, 2012 1:38 PM

"You win the internet for the next 2 hours"

Hmmmm, wait don't tell me..... you're 12.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 1:38 PM

btw, my unnecessary explanation was for the benefit of 12:58

Posted by Anonymous Prime | May 8, 2012 1:43 PM

"Hmmmm, wait don't tell me..... you're 12."

Look here, sausage, you need to get cracking on those jokes. You're really not doing much for your cause by insulting anonymous or semi-anonymous posters. So, tray again ... and one and two and three and ....

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 1:57 PM

semi-anonymous posters ... brilliant!

Posted by Semi-Anonymous | May 8, 2012 2:07 PM

Oh I "get it", Anonymous Prime (cool username - use it all the time like I use D all the time.) You've taken the first step towards not being anonymous. The next step is to type with personality so there's no question that it's you and no one can pose as you without being called out as impostors.

Too bad if most of you don't like that I write clear, coherent thoughts not smarmy Twitter-like drivel like 99% of you write because you haven't read a book since Twitter was launched.

Posted by D | May 8, 2012 2:16 PM

imposters

Posted by D | May 8, 2012 2:30 PM

Any rap music at this CBGB show?

Posted by A Grape Soda Drinker | May 8, 2012 2:37 PM

D is part of the 1%

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 2:38 PM

D is right about one thing...you definitely can't miss him. For better and for worse, I usually recognize his writing style right away.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 2:45 PM

I only answer to "Your Supreme Eminence" there, trendie#157. Did you forget because you ran out of AZT meds this morning? Oh, that's right you don't have a job, you're not up in the morning.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 2:49 PM

Exibet A:
"The next step is to type with personality so there's no question that it's you and no one can pose as you without being called out as impostors."

Exhibit B:
"I love how comments is full of anonymous people telling me I'm anonymous when I post as D all the time and there is no mistaking that it is me."

Question for the counselor - If you believe that you are identified most prominently by how you write (as opposed to the alleged "impostors" who you claim to not write in the same way), then how can the other posters be truly "anonymous" since I am easily able to pick out at least 5 major serial posters on here by the way that they write, and I lack the amazing powers of perception that you intimate?

Don't answer too quick D - you may want to think about this one for a while.
OK, don't say I didn't warn you.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 2:52 PM

D vs. the trendies - film at 6.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 3:00 PM

^ exactly (and exactly what D doesn't seem to get.) there's the 'amirite' guy for example. he comments on different things, but seems to be (thank god) the only person who says 'amirite.'

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 3:02 PM

If there were one serial BV poster I'd like to meet and punch in the face this month, it would be "relevance guy." Every thread he shows up declaring something "not relevant." The world would be a better place if that guy never attended a concert or wrote about music again.

I'm happy about this free concert and festival. Y'all a bunch of miserable bastards.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 3:08 PM

oh, sorry D. that was Anonymous Prime talking @3:02.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 3:09 PM

3:02 haha, what a dope.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 3:13 PM

let's invite mr. relevance, mr. amirite, D, and Prime to the Cro-Mags show and let them all pussy it out in person

Posted by SO DAMN ANONYMOUS IT HURTS | May 8, 2012 3:19 PM

^ the pussying has been relocated to the TPOBPAH show where it will be more appropriate. Only it will just consist of trendy nerds fighting amongst their stupid little hummus bowls.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 3:22 PM

Punks like hummus?

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 3:24 PM

all you losers need to take it to da bowl, and settle it like men.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 3:25 PM

3:19: Don't forget lol guy. Can't forget him. Come to think of it, where is the fella? Too much celebrating at the Rangers game last night?

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 3:27 PM

wait! he doesn't have both sleeves tattooed. so not hardcore!

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 3:33 PM

Posted by eponymous | May 8, 2012 3:46 PM

Why is the Sick of it All show 19+. Should be all ages or 16+.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 3:47 PM

thanks for the heads up on the GBV show. my only gripe about the whole thing is having to show up way too early just to get in. wouldn't mind paying for a show just to not deal with that.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 3:51 PM

"I can't understand how we all missed this. Remember that douche "The Real Yup Yup." He stopped posting right about the time "D" showed up... coincidence?"

I believe "The Real Yup Yup Yup. PERIOD" (or something like that - stupidest name ever, BTW), was a she. And yes, she was mostly full of pointless commentary. I think she disappeared several months before 'D' showed up though (which was like when? February?).

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 4:00 PM

4:00 - You're right. I think she was a PR flack trying to act like a regular person, too. She was the single most annoying turd ever on BV.

Posted by Anonymous Prime | May 8, 2012 4:07 PM

4:07pm - What do you have against Puerto Ricans (PR)? You better hope Lord Ezec isn't reading this (I hope he is LOL.)

Posted by D | May 8, 2012 5:01 PM

Ugh Cloud Nothings? That kid is terrible

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 5:33 PM

PR = public relations.... Which ezec could use since everyone on this site blames him for the downfall of hardcore

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 5:51 PM

5:51pm

As they should as he, his DMS pals Minus and SOB, and their non-DMS affiliates etc. killed CBGB Sunday matinees in '89 and ganged up on lone kids at shows 1989-94.

Dmize!, Merauder, Madball, Crown Of Thornz, and H20 were the worst things to ever happen to NYHC.

But you keep believing revisionist history about how those guys "saved" NYHC.

Posted by D | May 8, 2012 6:21 PM

Wow. D sure is an old fucker. Weird how he has such a socially-retarded juvenile vibe about him.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 6:36 PM

Wow, 6:36pm sure is a fucking herb who wasn't even sperm or more when I got into hardcore.

Keep trying to make yourself feel better about how you were born in whatever year 1980-94 and missed the last era of music. It must suck to know your teens were any four-year span from I'd say 2000 on.

Weird how you sound like a child using words like "retarded".

Posted by D | May 8, 2012 6:45 PM

^bwahahaha

I know I was born in 1982 and not a day goes by where I don't beat myself up about it.

D really is a suspended adolescent fool.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 6:51 PM

LOL @ you telling me you're 30 (or will turn 30 this year), fellow old fucker. Finally one of you had the fucking balls to post his/her year of birth.

Did you know that 30 was considered ancient back in the '70s, '80s, and even '90s? And most people aged 18 and under would consider you an "old fucker", too. How's that glass house you're living in holding up?

You should beat yourself up about being born in 1982. You weren't even in kindergarten when Licensed To Ill came out. You were listening to Menudo at the height of NYHC and the '80s music scene. You were getting all hot and bothered by New Kids On The Block at the height of thrash metal, rap, and indie rock, and became a teenager just before Metallica put out Load Of Shit and Re-Load Of Shit.
Oh yeah - your highschool years were during the whole barfarama punk/ska explosion and early days of numetal and metalcore, and your college years were 2000-2004. So what numetal did you jack off to in the dorm? LOL. 30 years old. Go listen to Limp Bizkit, herb.

You also missed out on all the great music in general 1982-96 save what Mommy And Daddy played while you were going beddy-bye which was probably '60s and '70s stuff you ignored cuz look at all the shit that's come out since 1996.

Posted by D | May 8, 2012 7:04 PM

D is disturbed. Get a wife or something, man. Even getting a blow up doll would be more becoming of an old man than hanging around here all day.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 7:10 PM

^i was born in '87. I was such fool. How could I be so dumb as not to be born when Liscence to Ill came out? My life is a waste :(

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 7:13 PM

An old man? LOL.

Look in the mirror. You're the old man. You're the one who is unmarried and getting your rocks off with a blowup doll.

I'm the one you say this shit to cuz you can't say it to yourself.

Posted by D | May 8, 2012 7:18 PM

7:13pm - Your life is a waste because you're 25 years old (or turning 25 this year) and worrying sooo much about what a supposed "old man" is writing, so asshurt he is calling out what you were when and what you missed out on, you have to post it in comments of a music blog instead of do something productive like watch tv (which is more productive than this shit.)

You are a dumb fuck for not being born when LTI came out. It's good to admit this. Tell your pals in Odd Future they should, too, since they come off like Erkels wishing they were Beasties.

Odd Future = Erkel Boys LOL.

Posted by D | May 8, 2012 7:23 PM

D was born when Sgt. Peppers came out. What a loser.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 8:02 PM

You lost me at Cloud Nothings. If I wanted to watch a whiny beaver sweating on stage, I'd... I don't know. I would..

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2012 8:28 PM

300bands, I might have to look at them closer

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 7:29 AM

There are multiple "D"s posting on BV these days. I know for a fact that one of them is a frequent troll who had previously bashed the actual D in other threads. So now, we are back to anonymous until the real D decides he wants to man up and differentiate hisself by coming out into the light. Until then, "D" will = "Anonymous". Sorry real D, it's the only way it can be now.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 7:53 AM

I love my blow-up doll, she's great!

I blew up her body/ she blew my mind.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 8:51 AM

How does one clean a blow up doll's snatch?

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 9:12 AM

^ You don't need to worry about that since you know how to clean that blow-up doll's peter quite well, eh?

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 9:22 AM

I hate all of you fucking people

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2012 4:49 PM

Why do people spend time bickering on the internet? Seems pointless.

Anyway, excited to see TPOBPAH.

Posted by EGO | June 21, 2012 10:23 PM

All you quarreling suburban white boys should just strip down to your tighty whities and proceed to grope each other and make out. Seriously.

Posted by entertained | June 22, 2012 12:01 AM

OH SNAP

Posted by hardline warrior | July 7, 2012 4:02 AM

You can all thank Harley Flanagan for ruining the night for everyone,” Cro-Mags lead singer John Joseph McGowan told the crowd.

also J.J. don't forget to thank James Dressler Jimmy Gestapo
for inciting harley the day before the show putting the buzz in his ear to fuck over the cro-mags, sick of it all show. telling harley That he needs to man up and take a stand against J.J. getting harley high and strung out to commite a violent act against the scene. it is known that Jimmy G smuggled the knife in by band equiptment and hide it in the vip telling harley where to find it the next day to use it against the band. jimmy gestapo dressler is just as fault and guilty for inciting harley to commit attemped murder. James dressler also back stabbed a fellow member DMS by having harley stab gook in the vip. thats why harley didn't do it at the a.f. show and mike gook was there for harley to get revenge. but jimmy told him to get gook and J.J. The next day at cro-mags and soia instead so it wouldn't ruin the m.l. show with a.f. the day after. Jimmy gestapo and harley will both have to face the facts soon for there actions. Harley should have never listen to James dressler/ Jimmy gestapo. a real sad chapter in nyhc history.

Posted by Anonymous | July 7, 2012 3:06 PM

looks like a fun festival.

Posted by jordon | July 31, 2013 4:12 PM

I can not believe that finally they organizes events aimed at all types of musical tastes.
Can't wait to revisit some of my favorite bands of artists.

Posted by Wendy | November 21, 2014 9:18 AM