Posted in music | tour dates on May 21, 2012

Ben Kweller @ Town Hall in 2008 (more by Eric M. Townsend)
Ben Kweller

That free 7/14 Blitzen Trapper gig is actually a co-headlining bill with Ben Kweller, and that show is one of a few free shows that will be hosted this year in NYC apartment complex Stuy Town. Full list below...

KIDS' SUMMER CONCERT W/ DAN ZANES AND FRIENDS
Sun, Jun. 10th, 3PM-5PM, On the Oval
Kids' music superstars Dan Zanes & Friends put on a spectacular show on the Oval, with the Bari Koral Family Rock Band starting it up! Free to all residents & their guests.

LIVE MUSIC ON THE OVAL: THE WOOD BROTHERS & TBA
Sat, Jun. 23rd, 3PM-6PM, On the Oval
The Wood Brothers and TBA kickstart the 2012 PCVST summer series! Free to all residents.

LIVE MUSIC ON THE OVAL: GARLAND JEFFREYS & TBA
Sat, Jun. 30th, 3PM-6PM, On the Oval
NYC's own Garland Jeffreys headlines on the Oval! NPR's Ann Powers says "[The King of In Between] is as good a classic roots rock record as you're going to hear from anybody this year." Free to all residents.

LIVE MUSIC ON THE OVAL: BLITZEN TRAPPER & BEN KWELLER
Sat, Jul. 14th, 3PM-6PM, On the Oval
Blitzen Trapper and Ben Kweller make July even hotter at this sizzling live performance! Free to all residents and their guests.

LIVE MUSIC ON THE OVAL: ZOE MUTH, EILEN JEWELL, & MARK ERELLI
Sat, Jul. 21st, 3PM-6PM, On the Oval
A great lineup of young artists rocks the Oval! Zoe Muth, Eilen Jewell, and Mark Erelli bring down the house in a star-studded show. Free to all residents.

LIVE MUSIC ON THE OVAL: KAT EDMONSON & TBA
Sat, Jul. 28th, 3PM-6PM, On the Oval
Soulful singer Kat Edmonson headlines the grand finale summer concert! Free to all residents & their guests.

all shit. not surprised.

Posted by Anonymous | May 21, 2012 1:12 PM

i remember my morning jacket opening for ben kweller at bowery...

times done changed.

i like the stuy town shows...remember jay reatard?

Posted by Anonymous | May 21, 2012 1:13 PM

"Free to all residents & their guests." What the hell does that mean? Aren't these shows open to the public? And where is the perennial performance from the Easy Star All Stars?

Posted by Anonymous | May 21, 2012 1:18 PM

That Zoe Muth / Eilen Jewell show is going to be fantastic.

Posted by Anonymous | May 21, 2012 1:41 PM

You're right. Times done changed.

I remember seeing Kings of Leon open for Ben Kweller at Irving Plaza a long time ago.

Posted by Anonymous | May 21, 2012 2:19 PM

I used to have a fried who lived in Stuy Town and the place was like a housing project for senior citizens. We're talking quite a while ago, but it was the last place I'd ever imagine having rock shows.

Posted by Anonymous | May 21, 2012 2:35 PM

^ Oops. I missed the "n" in friend.

Posted by Anonymous | May 21, 2012 2:36 PM

Theoretically, neither Stuy Town nor these concerts are "open to the public". Occasionally, you see the security staff ask for ID and kick people out, but usually people just stroll through unmolested.

Posted by Anonymous | May 21, 2012 3:06 PM

Do you see that in the description it says "for residents and their guests"? It clearly doesn't say "for the general public". You should modify this, as people who are not guests of residents are not welcome in the complex for this event. Thanks to your posting, giant disrespectful crowds may fill this purposefully residential area with people who will litter and damage the complex.

Posted by Anonymous | May 21, 2012 4:29 PM

4:29 good clearance cuz some of this things go unnoticed and people end up feeling shity

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2012 9:35 AM

Here is the complete listing of the Stuy Town 3pm concerts - it's pretty darn good...

June 10th
Dan Zanes with the Bari Koral Band

June 23rd
The Wood Brothers with Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison

June 30th
Shemekia Copeland and Garland Jeffries

July 14th
Blitzen Trapper and Ben Kweller

July 21st
Zoe Muth, Eilen Jewell, and Mark Erelli

July 28th
Alejandro Escovedo with Kat Edmonson

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2012 11:01 AM

Please stop advertising Stuy Town shows. They are for RESIDENTS AND THEIR GUESTS ONLY. They are not open to the general public.

Posted by Annie | May 25, 2012 6:00 PM

“YOU HAVE A LOT OF BAD THINGS LIKE PEOPLE VOMITING IN THE ELEVATORS AND DRUNKENNESS AND PEOPLE SMOKING OUTSIDE.”

Posted by FED UP | May 26, 2012 11:00 AM

Don't listen to the altekockes...Stuytown is NOT private property. You are allowed on the grounds. They are like the people who put "private beach" signs on their beachfront properties when the law permits the public to use the beach.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2012 9:20 AM

That's right. I pay a high rent and I don't want all of NYC invading the Oval for a free concert which is meant for residents. I certainly hope they check our key cards so we as residents who pay rent have a chance to at least see the concert. I can see people coming from all over the city for this. Please make sure you emphasize that it is for RESIDENTS and not the general public.

Posted by Liz | June 2, 2012 6:43 PM

The parks are private - you need to live here to legally go to them as is the oval. You are allowed to walk around but not use the amenities. Don't post things you don't know about. You can stand outside the gate of the oval if you don't live here - that is fine.

Posted by Liz | June 2, 2012 6:46 PM

'You should modify this, as people who are not guests of residents are not welcome in the complex for this event.'

To the people posting comments like these and in hysterics over being overrun by violent hordes: if this complex and the concert are 'resident only' events, then please contact Stuy Town mngt and direct them to stop WNYC (public radio/NYC)from advertising these 'free upcoming concerts' to the public. Advertising on WNYC is not free, so someone here is wrong.
The last such ad was heard at 11:30 AM today, Sunday June 24. Get it straight.

Posted by BJK | June 24, 2012 11:53 AM

Can't wait to go to all of these show, get incredibly drunk... and pee and vomit all over Stuy Town!

Fucking assholes. Move to a fucking private community in the suburbs if you are going to have that kind of attitude.

You live in the city. Deal with it.

Suck my fucking cock.

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2012 1:25 PM

To the barbarian who can't wait to lose control of his guts and bowels in public: if this is the kind of behavior you look forward to, then the attitude problem is yours, not that of the residents.
Stuy Town IS a private residence, with a large number of older people who have been there longer than you have been breathing.
The ONLY issue here is 'are the concerts open to the public', not to see if you can make an asshole of yourself in a place that is the home of others.
Clearly the earlier posters were not aware of this fact.

Posted by BJK | June 24, 2012 2:06 PM

I'm gonna poop so hard on Stuy Town that blood's gonna come out of my butt.

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2012 2:25 PM

Old folks love hummus because it doesn't require any chewing.

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2012 3:54 PM

"This is MY concert! I pay my rent and taxes like a good citizen and these ruffians come and get MY shows for free?! How dare they!!"

Oh, go choke on your "private" show. See you there, friend.

Posted by Brian | June 26, 2012 10:27 AM

Thanks, BV. Reposting this everywhere so people can find out about these free public shows.

Posted by Anonymous | June 26, 2012 4:03 PM

Yo, outer borough vegan: Please post your address and leave the door open. I'd like to come over and use whatever you have available for me to use...roof deck....patio....laundry room....lobby. Whatever you have. I know I don't pay the rent where you live, but that's ok, right?! STOP POSTING these events. And for all of the idiots who don't think this is private property, it IS! We pay rent which helps pay for the upkeep of the property...not your tax dollars. Go to Central Park if you want to see a show.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2012 11:47 PM

hey everyone make sure you go these concerts so residents can freak out.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2012 3:47 AM

i just banged a chick on a stuy town bench 45 minutes ago. i mean, i guess it was private.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2012 4:47 AM

I was totally going to ignore this announcement, but after reading 11:47's ridiculous plea I will be not just going but bringing my disruptive and smelly food eating recent immigrant friends.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2012 7:24 AM

^ on second thought, I read the roster of bands to perform, and decided that there will be more excitement staying a home shredding old mail.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2012 7:26 AM

Garland and Shamekia put on a great show.

Enjoy a few videos I shot.

"NYC Skyline" was beautiful.

Posted by Gail P. | July 1, 2012 2:21 PM

" if this complex and the concert are 'resident only' events, then please contact Stuy Town mngt and direct them to stop WNYC (public radio/NYC)from advertising these 'free upcoming concerts' to the public. Advertising on WNYC is not free, so someone here is wrong. "

We HAVE been asking Rose Associates and CWCapital to stop advertising these concerts. They create a tremendous amount of noise pollution in the community on the weekends. People have to lock their windows and crank the ACs to drown out the noise.

Posted by Annie | July 16, 2012 10:05 PM

YO YO YOY O!!!OIHDSIHKFASYO! I live in Stuy Town. I love it here. and thankfully I live far away from the Oval. I feel bad for all you homojoneses that live on the Oval and have to put up with Ben Fucking Kweller outside your living room window. You should ask for a months free rent. And to all of you dudes that are thinking about raging out to The Kwell you should cut your dick off cuz chances are you aint using it. Pussy Cocks.

Posted by ASSCOCK | July 18, 2012 2:20 AM

This seems really cool - I can get there by taking the L from Billyburg. Although I can see Styvesant Town from the waterfront I've never been there - what's it like? are there bleachers and seats where the concert is or is it in an open area? Do they have food and drinks you can buy there or anything there or should I bring stuff with me? How about cocktails? See you on Saturday - Thanks!
-- H

Posted by Heapsteer | July 18, 2012 11:53 AM

^^
Great job, concert promotion company intern!
See you on Saturday!

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2012 12:25 PM

Bring your blanket, frisbee, football, low-life friends, pit bull, wine, whatev.

Posted by AdamRose'sThorn | July 18, 2012 10:17 PM

Don't listen to the old grumps--they WISH they had fun concerts when they were young here like 50 years ago.

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2012 7:45 AM

I found this site from The Stuyvesant Town Report blog - as a Stuytown resident since 1994 I have to tell you that these concerts are wonderful - my neighbors and I are very happy to throw down a blanket and listen to some very talented performers that I am happy to have on my oval (or circus performers on my basketball courts a few weeks ago). Damn, how great was it hear our neighbors Garland Jeffreys and a couple of songs from his daughter Savannah. If we can't hear resolution of the J-51 issues, we can at least hear some great music.

And if people insist on these concerts being for residents and guests - well, y'all can be my guests!

You can count on me to be there this Saturday and next Saturday - I hope you are there, too.

Posted by Loyer du Locataire Stabilise | July 19, 2012 1:42 PM

this guitar plays very well, is a genius

Posted by Casa de Massagem | April 24, 2013 7:33 PM

not surprised.

Posted by jordon | July 30, 2013 4:24 PM

Stuy Town is actually more than a great concert venue; it is a place many people call home. To learn more about no fee apartments available, visit the PCVST office to tour a one bedroom, two bedroom, three bedroom or four bedroom apartment. There are lots of options that have great access to many amenities: mature trees, a study space with free Wi-Fi, exercise room and an established community. No other place in New York can boast such a large park like setting.

Posted by Robert Stillman | July 29, 2014 6:13 PM