Posted in music on May 30, 2012

Ween at Summerstage in 2010 (more by Andrew St. Clair)
Ween

"It's time to move on," Freeman told Rolling Stone from his home in New Jersey. "I'm retiring Gene Ween."

So does that mean the end for Ween, the band that Freeman formed with high school friend Mickey Melchiondo (a.k.a. Dean Ween) in New Hope, Pennsylvania, in the mid-Eighties?

"Pretty much, yeah," says Freeman. "It's been a long time, 25 years. It was a good run."

Freeman, who released his solo debut Marvelous Clouds earlier this month, says there's no animosity towards his bandmates or Melchiondo, who he met in the eighth grade. He says the pair are still on speaking terms, even though he's been contemplating the decision for the past eight years.

"For me it's a closed book. In life sometimes, in the universe, you have to close some doors to have others open," says Freeman. "There's no, 'Goddamn that such and such!' For me, I'd like to think it's a door I can close finally." [Rolling Stone]

Is this really the end for Ween? (And the end for the oneness they had between God and Satan?) Aaron Freeman seems to mostly entirely suggest so in this Rolling Stone interview. The AV Club, however, reports that Dean Ween (aka Mickey Melchiondo) expressed surprise on his (private) Facebook page saying it "is news to me, all I can say for now I guess."

Ween haven't released an album in fiver years and, even if this isn't an official breakup, it doesn't seem like there'll be another any time soon. Freeman recently released Marvelous Clouds, an album of Rod McKuen covers that is worth checking out.

Ween - "Freedom of '76"

any ween fan who doesn't like aaron's solo record is not a real ween fan. also, i guarantee this is not a real breakup.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2012 9:35 AM

Rod McKuen = Yoko Ono

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2012 9:36 AM

sounds like they got into a fight over something silly. kiss and make up you guys!

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2012 9:39 AM

This will be a really big deal only to people who were 10 years old in 1995, I guess

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2012 9:40 AM

dean ween solo will rip apart that crappy solo record by aaarrooonn free man. good riddance, dick

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2012 9:51 AM

sound like it was just how Gene was feeling at the moment when being pressed for an answer. And anyways, a band "breaking up" doesn't mean anything anymore.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2012 9:55 AM

I've never heard the clouds album. Am I a real fan? Does smoking Idaho grown farmer's weed from a Bud light can at a outdoor Ween show on the east coast qualify me?

Posted by accept me(!) | May 30, 2012 10:02 AM

Like the music, Ween fans were mostly low IQ permanent adolescents with a lame sense of humor. Time to grow up boys.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2012 10:29 AM

There goes the best band ever! All you haters haven't got a clue!

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2012 10:35 AM

Ween was/is one of the bands that was having a laugh at everyone else's expense. That goes for the fratheaded idiots that would crash shows as well as the disdainful set. A few people were allowed in on the joke, those being the quieter fans who enjoy the skilled musicianship, the disjointed lyrics, and the band's incredible devotion to playing every possible genre of music and playing it well. Also the fact that after singing a polka about getting HIV, they'd go home to their families and go fishing or do whatever...who the hell do these guys think they are?!

Also, White Pepper is an album for all time.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2012 10:53 AM

He's still reeling from his divorce

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2012 11:18 AM

don't sweat it

Posted by George in NJ | May 30, 2012 11:19 AM

this most definitely is not what deaner was talking about.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2012 11:44 AM

BOOGNISH

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2012 12:09 PM

HOLOGRAM GENER

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2012 12:12 PM

Anyone who actually believes they'll never play again is a fool.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2012 1:03 PM

I read in a zine that Gene Ween gets mean when Dean sticks his peen in the hummus platter.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2012 1:53 PM

All comedy rock idiots should be retired, starting with Ween and ending with Weird Al.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2012 2:26 PM

was this band popular with blooches?

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2012 3:04 PM

Oh, look. I'm on BV and can say negative things anonymously. Derp.

Ween was tremendous. They were, on the surface, idiot savants. But really, they were geniuses telling the world's stupidest jokes. I'm not saying you must like Ween. You can hate them, who cares?

But to not get what they were doing and calling them immature would only indicate that you haven't been paying attention. You didn't get the joke.

I, for one, will miss their bizarre genius.

Posted by Seth | May 30, 2012 3:57 PM

3:57 is the typical BV self-deluded hipster poser poster. Anyone who has an opinion that does not align with his is an idiot, or doesn't get the joke, or is ill informed.

Guess what, jackass ... the joke wasn't funny, and you cannot see how self important you are. You can kiss my ass.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2012 4:15 PM

"peen"

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2012 4:29 PM

"peen-peen"

Posted by D | May 30, 2012 6:34 PM

4:15 is the guy who takes music and the internet entirely too seriously, and needs to stop measuring his self-worth based on the opinions of others. Also seems to be unable to parse words for actual meaning.

Posted by Seth | May 30, 2012 7:30 PM

I like ween

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2012 10:28 PM

Truly gutted by this news. They were pretty much the greatest band since The Beatles. Anyone who dismisses them as comedy rock or stuff of that ilk has totally missed the mark. And I would say they wrote a lot more dark and depressing songs than they did funny ones.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2012 11:21 PM

Summa you people need to get outta yer momz basement and hear more actual music. Ween was always grossly overrated, and to say that they are "greatest since The Beatles" isn't even funny IF ironic (which I would hold suspect given the average intelligence of the average BV poster)

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2012 7:52 AM

Pure geniuses! Not sure if they are the best band since the Beatles, but I love every one of their albums... that's more than I can say about any other band with that many releases, with the exception of maybe Radiohead and Beck.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2012 12:42 PM

^ Ween, Radiohead, Beck ... yup, yer a hipster. Don't forget yer sign by the lobe weights.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2012 12:53 PM

^ umm anyone who posts on this site is a hipster. It's called Brooklyn Vegan, for Christ's sake!

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2012 4:55 PM

Gener, your Marvelous Clouds are bad and you should feel bad!

You suck!

Posted by Captain | June 1, 2012 2:23 AM

Ween fans should be honest with themselves, they haven't put out a great album since white pepper. The holy trinity of C&C, The Mollusk and White Pepper can't be touched and if you consider yourself a fan of music and don't know those records do yourself a favor. Of course the first three are awesome too but they don't stand the test of time nearly as well, fanboys will most likely disagree, but whatever. It's high time they took a break, they're not getting any younger. I personally look forward to a classic hard rocking album from M.M.

Posted by Tony | October 6, 2012 11:23 AM

Quebec was genius. Better than their first two albums. It was just depressing. If Nirvana realeased Quebec it would sell better than "thriller"

Posted by tim | December 23, 2012 1:35 AM

I'm not gonna post anonymous, and I have NOTHING bad to say about Ween. I noticed most, if not all of the negative posts on here are from "anonymous" writers. Well all I have to say is Fuck you. You can say what you want about Ween, but nothing will change the fact that they are two of the most talented people on the face of the Earth. And if you haven't even given their music the time of day, (they have many albums and all of them are different), then you have no idea what you are talking about. Ween is universal, they know no boundaries.

Posted by Tim Cleaver | May 16, 2013 1:38 AM

gene ween is great.

Posted by jordon | July 30, 2013 1:48 PM

The Pure Guano recording was different more than alternative.
I am not a Weenyhead but they made some real money w/ that act.

Posted by joe | December 30, 2013 2:25 PM