Posted in music | tour dates on May 24, 2012

by BBG

Wes of AN/GUTG with Cold Cave at The Guggenheim (more by Amanda Hatfield)
Wes Eisold of Cold Cave

It seemed almost inevitable, and now it's a reality. After reuniting for a pair of shows late last year and being the subject of a documentary (with the longest "trailer" ever), American Nightmare/Give Up The Ghost will come to NYC for a show at Webster Hall on July 22. Tickets for that show go on sale Thursday, May 31 at noon. It's their only announced date at the moment, but hopefully more to come.

Meanwhile, Cold Cave has a Northside show coming up at Europa on June 14.

Some videos below...

AN live in 2001, Wilkes-Barre PA

AN Documentary Trailer

Overrated, generic hardcore. Boo.

Posted by JT | May 24, 2012 1:02 PM

Ugly old sausage. Bleh.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2012 1:10 PM

High five Wes!

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2012 1:22 PM

omg, what kind of primitive mating ritual is going on in that video from '01?

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2012 1:25 PM

I hate to say it, but it's how I met your mother.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2012 1:40 PM

Just like Willie Nelson had "The Red-Headed Stranger," American Nightmare should record a concept album called "The One-Armed Bandit."

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | May 24, 2012 2:10 PM

Fuck yes. Also fuck the haters and cold cave

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2012 2:22 PM

This is going to be amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2012 2:23 PM

How many of you think BBG will complain about the show on 7/23...

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2012 2:58 PM

2:23pm "The haters"? AN isn't worth anyone's hatred and you're not a black rapper and/or in 1992 so shut the fu ck up.
LOL @ you being a "hater" on Cold Cave right after "fu ck the haters", hypocrite.

American Nightmare?

American Nighthype.
American Nightbore.
American Nightcashgrab.
American NightWesEisoldneedstosupplementhisColdCaveincomewithpretendingtobehardcorewhenthemoneyisright.

FU CK all you people who will show up in droves to see the most overrated hardcore band after Refused (just like you showed up in droves for Refused) but barely support current, active, real hardcore bands not fake ones with fake dudes who ditched hardcore and vowed they'd never play it again or sure came off like they wouldn't then did it when they saw the $$$ (Wes Eisold.)

Oh yeah, can that little "note" or "card" be anymore pretentious?

If you think AN is back for real and not for the money, think again. So what if they're back for the money you say? Ok, then you obviously didn't get hardcore, and spare me hardcore means being poor. While I think Sick Of It All should've hung it up well over a decade ago, I will (have to) say they put in the hard work and time into it to be able to be a full-time band which is more than I can say for American Nightmare and Refused.

BTW why is FYF, a California promoter booking this, a NYC show? Los Angeles/So-Cal isn't enough? Do shows in your own backyard. I guess FYF is the go to promoter for overrated 90s-early '00s "hardcore" bands who come back for cashgrabs. T-minus 24 hours before we see Cerebral Ballzy opening this show because they're on Adult Swim's record label and paid $X to play it which is how they got on the Refused and Off! shows.

Uh-oh! Someone might repost this on The B9 again so a bunch of herbs can slam me for slamming their BHC hero haha. Yo Joe Hardcore will you slam AN like you slammed Refused for reuniting? What has Wes had to do with hardcore since AN broke up? Nothing. So slam them, too.

Posted by D | May 24, 2012 3:55 PM

Jackasses who take shit way to seriously like 3:55 are why I can't stand going to hardcore shows to see "current, active, real hardcore bands" who sound like 'Cause for Alarm' era Agnostic Front.

Do what you want and don't make apologies, unless the kids don't think its hardcore or punk enough, then fuck you.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2012 4:03 PM

Lmao at D...anyone who takes hardcore seriously is a sad, sad joke. Grow up. Your scene is dumb. It's music. Chill.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2012 4:14 PM

Yo fu ck you bitch.

First off, what's wrong with sounding like Cause For Alarm era Agnostic Front? and name me "current, active bands" who sound like that. I think you meant Victim In Pain. Get your slagging AF straight, jerkoff.

Second, I'm taking shit way too seriously? Try you are, cuz if you didn't give a fu ck what people (including me) think you wouldn't be writing like I fuc ked your mother/sister/wife/girlfriend/daughter.

Why is American Nightmare back after years of not playing?

FYF booked the Refused shows.
Refused made bank.
American Nightmare saw that.
FYF booked American Nightmare.

Figure it out.

It's not about "being hardcore or punk enough", it's about being real which Refused and American Nightmare are not by coming back out of nowhere years after they ended with both washing their hands of hardcore (American Nightmare) or denouncing big business in it (Refused) only to come back.

I've no beef with bands playing again but can one of them just come out and say they're back for the money for once? I mean, their fans wouldn't care if they're back for the money, so why not say it? It's honest. It's also the truth.

Posted by D | May 24, 2012 4:16 PM

And we're only at about 15 comments. How fast does the D fight go to 100? I thought we were done with this last week?

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2012 4:16 PM

FYF booked the AN reunion before the Refused shows...

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2012 4:23 PM

maybe American Nightmare turned their back on hardcore, but on the other hand....o wait :(

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2012 4:26 PM

4:16pm It's real simple:

Whoever doesn't like what I've written can ignore me or speak their minds directly to me and/or not. If someone wants to be belligerent with me, directly or indirectly, I will be belligerent back. I would prefer not to, but I know that's not the nature of comments like everyone knows it's not my nature to let people attack me without me attacking back.

BV loves it cuz it drives up their views.

I'm sure at least one AN member will read what I've written and laugh his ass off, and that's cool and amusing to me. He's a fakeassed bitch who's too scared to do a new hardcore band and make a living at a real job without supplementing his income with pretending that it's 2001 for a day, and he knows it. He doesn't have the balls to say it, like all these people who pop up after years of inactivity don't.

JUST SAY YOU'RE BACK FOR THE MONEY, TOO, OK? Your fans don't give a fuck and people who don't give a fu ck are just that.

Posted by D | May 24, 2012 4:28 PM

D hasn't figured out that you can write 'fuck' on BV yet. I guess some people belong at C-Town.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2012 4:32 PM

4:23pm So what?

FYF booked Refused then American Nightmare in NYC after American Nightmare saw what Refused did in NYC.

Posted by D | May 24, 2012 4:38 PM

No - it's that his work probably has keystroke recognition... the irony being that they could just as easily figure out how much time he devotes to writing screeds on this site, too.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2012 4:39 PM

4:32pm Give it a rest with C-Town and alluding that you work there.

One time I posted a comment with a slew of fucks and it wasn't posted, so I post fuck as fu ck sometimes.

Posted by D | May 24, 2012 4:40 PM

^yeah perfect reasonable explanation. Even though you know you can write fuck you go with fu ck. Not annoying at all. 40 years old and still a dope :(

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2012 4:43 PM

4:39pm I may write screeds, but it sure beats posting like the typical Twitter generation dork who hasn't read a book since Twitter was launched like you.

I'll try to limit my posts to 140 characters so your little Twitterbrain can digest it.

Uh oh I think I exceeded the 140 so you'll have to read a book sometime this year to comprehend what I write.

Posted by D | May 24, 2012 4:44 PM

'Not 40 years old you dumb fuck, but keep thinking I'm that if it makes you feel better.

Get your ass kicked by 40 year old once? I bet.

Posted by D | May 24, 2012 4:48 PM

D is your taste in literature as mature as your taste in music. What are you into? The Young Adult section? On The Road?

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2012 4:48 PM

If I just changed history by convincing D to keep his comments to under 140 characters, even though that wasn't my point, every other BV commenter owes me $2.

Posted by 4:39 | May 24, 2012 4:51 PM

"Perfectly reasonable explanation" is right considering that fuck-laden comment didn't come up. -D

lulz....and yet there are tons of posts with 'fuck' in them. You didn't consider, even for a moment, that maybe it wasn't your usage of 'fuck' that got your commented rejected, and maybe, just maybe, it was another word?

bwhahahah....

D is America's answer to Karl Pilkington.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2012 4:55 PM

Oh so you're saying my listening to hardcore is immature? You again.

Why are you posting in an entry about a hardcore show dumbass?

I just completed re-reading Animal Farm.

Posted by D | May 24, 2012 4:56 PM

4:55pm I don't know and I don't care, nerd. Nor do I read the "tons and tons" of posts with fuck in them like you do cuz you're a no-life nutswinger who has nothing to say but fail to get under my skin.

Posted by D | May 24, 2012 4:58 PM

D's approach to the scientific method = straight lulz

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2012 5:03 PM

D just finished Animal Farm, which is waaay profound if you're in the eighth grade.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2012 6:18 PM

^that shit blew D's 40 year old mind!

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2012 7:09 PM

Slapshot > an
Eye For An Eye > an
Every other BHC band from that bygone era > an

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2012 8:43 PM

Jeremy Lin cook spicy sausage. #rinsanity

Posted by D | May 24, 2012 9:28 PM

D, you confuse me. You referred to "current, active, real hardcore bands", but when I've asked you before what bands you DO actually like, you refuse to give an answer. So instead of bitching about every fucking hardcore and punk band that gets posted on BV, why dont you tell us some bands that you deem respectable, since your opinion is so valuable. I bet you'll respond with "It's none of your business".

You trash the bands that play shows put on by HCV. You trash shows that are put on by 1000 Knives. I dont know your take on the BnB guys, but I take it that it's not positive? Youre such a whiner.

And another thing, the fact that you think SOIA shouldve hung it up a decade ago, shows how asinine you really are. They still put on a great live show and have more energy than bands half their age, and put out good albums (currently listening to Based On A True Story).

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2012 9:39 PM

For all the closet cases who always post about these "sausage fests" and how immature we must be for listening to hardcore, an average BV commenter's idea of diversity is listening to Beach House and Beach Fossils. Glass houses...

Indie snobs dont know anything about carving out their own path, so they follow everything that's thrown to them and hyped up by Bowery Presents.

Keep clapping, seals. I heard Azealia Banks tickets went onsale today. Go blow your Starbucks paycheck on a pair off StubHub for you and your cokehead girlfriend.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2012 9:43 PM

D is probably in mediocre hardcore band for 10 years and still trying to make it haha

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 9:51 AM

D is a 40 year old youth crew member.... :(

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 10:34 AM

D is actually scott vogel

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 12:02 PM

And D, I meant "Cause for Alarm", you know, one of the shitty AF records. Most current active hardcore bands sound like shitty AF.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 12:49 PM

Actually there was an interview Wes did, and he said one of AN's favorite bands (not refused, I can't think of their name off the top of my head) decided to play a reunion show and if they did, why not AN? Especially because Wes looked up to them and what not. Sure some money is involved, but that's not their main reason for playing a couple of reunion shows. So stop fucking whining kids.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2012 7:04 AM