Posted in general on May 9, 2012

President Obama

President Obama on Wednesday ended nearly two years of "evolving" on the issue of same-sex marriage by publicly endorsing it in a television interview, taking a definitive stand on one of the most contentious and politically charged social issues of the day.

"At a certain point, I've just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married," Mr. Obama told ABC News in an interview that came after the president faced mounting pressure to clarify his position.

In an election that is all but certain to turn on the slowly recovering economy and its persistently high jobless rate, Mr. Obama's stand nonetheless injects a volatile social issue into the campaign debate and puts him at even sharper odds with his presumptive Republican rival, Mitt Romney, who opposes same-sex marriage and favors an amendment to the United States Constitution to forbid it...

...Senator Kirsten E. Gillibrand, Democrat of New York, called the president's statement "a watershed moment in American history" that would aid efforts to overturn the Defense of Marriage Act barring federal recognition of same-sex marriage.

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg of New York said, "No American president has ever supported a major expansion of civil rights that has not ultimately been adopted by the American people, and I have no doubt that this will be no exception." [New York Times]

Watch the ABC News video interview with President Obama here.

Nice try Obama. Economy is still in the tank buddy and you are useless.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 4:51 PM

what are his thoughts on tom gabel??

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 4:52 PM

...and the 500+-comment trigger comments unleash...

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 4:53 PM

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 4:55 PM

"Nice try Obama. Economy is still in the tank buddy and you are useless."

I don't think this will change the mind of anybody who wasn't going to vote for him but it might have grabbed a few people no the fence.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 4:57 PM

@4:57 Or a sad attempt to change the subject (the subject being the economy).

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 4:58 PM

He's had years to say this but whatever, with an election coming up pander pander pander.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 4:59 PM

Obama down with the gays? I don't remember him at any Pansy Division shows back in the day?

Posted by G | May 9, 2012 5:00 PM

shocker.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:03 PM

what is the big deal? this is so obviously a non issue, let folks in love get married. to oppose this is to not only be completely stupid, jaw-dragging, hypocritically ignorant, to the highest degree, but the ultimate in Nazi like tactics in the US.

Fourty years from now your kids will remember those on the wrong side, just like we remember Nazi sympathizers and Klu Klux Krazies before...

What would Jesus do, ask yourself you religious idiots:
help the poor, be caring and understanding;
or Romney it out with hate speech, lies, war mongering, and insensitivity.

Time will judge you to be on the wrong side.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:04 PM

Nice try 451, you're still living in a condo on Kent with your parents' rent money. Go fuck yourself, dickhead.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:06 PM

hey GOPer, please
choke
on a
big
ol
dick

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:07 PM

"Romney it out?" Let me guess, Romney is evil?

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:07 PM

I don't think this is about distracting the public from the issues; it's about raising money from gay supporters. He took a firm stance on this now, because he's about to attend a few fundraisers, one of them in Hollywood, the other here. Nonetheless, I'm glad he finally picked a side.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:10 PM

5:06-good one. 4:51 is living on Kent with top notch views of the Manhattan skyline. life's a bitch for some.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:11 PM

What an idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:11 PM

They are All evil

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:12 PM

Marriage is a religious entity. Not a political one.

And I personally don't think Jesus or any of the other religious leaders, (Buddha, Muhommad, etc) would support gay marriage.

And I am not a "right winger" or a religious freak... But I do not support at marriage.

What's next? Can a man marry an ape?

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:13 PM

Better late than never. This is good news.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:13 PM

Don't be a faggot.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:14 PM

5:13, sure. Your dad married your mom, didn't he?

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:17 PM

more proof he is a muslim

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:18 PM

LOL @ 5:13

are you real? you can't be.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:18 PM

5:13-crazy motherfucker

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:19 PM

5:18. Yeah, he's real. Real stupid.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:21 PM

Shouldn't even be an issue. It's so backwards for someone to not support gay marriage that it really shouldn't be a big deal when someone comes out for it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:23 PM

4:51--

"Marriage is a religious entity."

Guess that's why atheists don't ever get married.

"Let them have civil unions so they can have their tax breaks and stuff, but marriage is between a man and woman."

So civil unions--distinct from marriage, but with the same rights. Distinct but the same...you got a thesaurus handy?

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:24 PM

Last I checked, marriage is also a legal entity. I know plenty of people who are atheists who are married. Hence, it's not just a religious entity. I also know plenty of gay people who are in stable, committed relationships (probably healthier relationships than many of the hetero couples I know). They should have the same rights as everyone else.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:24 PM

First he outs details on a top secret mission, then he flip flops when his big donors threaten to withhold funds - IS THERE ANYTHING THAT THIS MAN WON'T DO FOR POLITICAL PURPOSES?!?!?!?!?

#anyonebutobama2012

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:25 PM

err...not 4:51 two posts ago, but 5:13...

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:27 PM

Why is it that conservatives bitch about the government having too much control over your life, but then they want the government to control who has the right to get married?

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:28 PM

Let's address the real issue: Women are escaping the kitchen and getting real jobs.

Sup with that, Obama?!

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:28 PM

I want to marry my cat.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:29 PM

I wish i could marry this robust hummus platter.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:30 PM

5:28 - Did you just wake up from a 40 year coma?

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:30 PM

5:04 obviously a non-issue?! What fucking rock do you live under?

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:30 PM

5:25 and you think Romney would not do the same. Oh wait make that has not done the same.

Give me a fucking break. It is politics through and through but you know what. When a President makes a statement like this(or conversely doesn't) it is a big deal and changes the game. So I say who cares about the why he did it but thank goodness he finally did it.

We are all human beings on this planet and deserve the same rights. I am not gay but if my gay brothers and sisters want to get married(and fuck up their lives like the rest of us) be my guest.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:31 PM

lol @ marriage being a religious entity. thank you, commenter from 200 A.D.

you can get married nowadays with literally zero involvement from any sort of religious figure/service, so clearly religion and marriage have become quite separate.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:32 PM

I want to marry my blow-up doll.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:33 PM

Rights for gays. Oh yeah.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:35 PM

I don't care if some dude decides to become gay and then put his ding-dong in the butt of some construction worker named "Big Al" or whatever... But gay marriage will not take hold in mainstream america.
Let them have equal rights with civil unions, but marriage is between a man and a woman, not Frank and Big Al.
And my opinion is just as valid as yours... And I do not resort to childish name calling to those who disagree with me. We all have different beliefs, so chill the fuck out.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:35 PM

^Lars?

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:35 PM

Truth fears no trial, but laws are written by whores trying to get re-elected.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:36 PM

You probably should, 5:33. It's your only shot at happiness.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:36 PM

5:35, why do you care who can get married and who can't? Do gay couples interfere with your life in any way? Do they prevent you from paying your bills or putting food on your table? Seriously. Why do you care?

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:38 PM

I would love to marry my local record store

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:38 PM

Obama is simply pandering to the gays to get money so he can buy another 4 years of time in the white house.

It's pretty obvious

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:39 PM

That said, I think that Mr. Obama has outlived his welcome, and I will happily vote for an empty can of orange juice should that be what any other party puts up against him in November.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:40 PM

5:39, that's fine. He's still on the correct side of the way things should be when it comes to civil rights. I don't care why he's doing it. I'm just glad that he is.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:41 PM

5:35 you thinking that gay marriage will not take hold in mainstream america is about as outdated as your opinions on the issue. In a number of years this won't be an issue at all and will be the norm. If you want to delude yourself thinking different go right ahead.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:42 PM

"Impringe" is not a word, 5:40.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:42 PM

To 5:38... Because it makes the ideological idea of marriage a sham. That's why.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:42 PM

I'm in favor of gay marriage. But I find it amusing that left wing cockroaches attack anyone else who isn't, yet they gave Obama a free pass because they knew he was supportive but found it politically pragmatic to not say so publicly.

But you really have to wonder about the mental health of liberals who are today singing his praises about how wonderful it is that he's evolved on the issue. I mean, these same people always knew he was for gay marriage. It's embarrassing.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:43 PM

Ideological ideas by idealogues.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:45 PM

Hey 5:40 you almost get your wish in November as instead of an empty can of orange juice you get to vote for the Romney robot who has not one original idea of how to fix this country.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:45 PM

"People should be able to live however they choose to live, so long as their exercise of freedom does not impinge upon another's right to live the way they choose to live."

^ so does that mean drugs should be legal?
If I stay at home all day and want to eat sheets of acid and it doesn't hurt anyone does that make it acceptable in your statement?

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:46 PM

I love these thread, where crazy eyed lefties come on telling us Conservatives what we believe, what we would do, etc. Like, remember crazy eyes Nancypants Peolsi and Hairy Reed talking about how Conservatives wanted to kill women? Fucking idiots, can't make it up. And now we get to read through the amateurs on here, with crazy eyes, misrepresenting or outright lying about what others think and feel.

If your philosophy and your actions are so much superior, why don't you just state them and trust the common sense and good judgement of the American people to choose according to the best path to take? Why not be like the people you think you are and not like the people you think we are (e.g. the people you really are)?

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:46 PM

Gays should not be allowed to marry. No one should. Marriage is basically about control, a societal ball + chain. All relationships should be open and more people should have group sex.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:47 PM

"yet they gave Obama a free pass because they knew he was supportive but found it politically pragmatic to not say so publicly."

Oh you people, get your heads out of the sand. Anyone who has half a fucking brain understand the nature of politics and how the game works in this country. Both sides are guilty of what you claim you idiot 5:43 so cut the shit. Look, he finally took a stand on the right side and for whatever reasons or why he did, people have every right to applaud him for it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:48 PM

5:43, is Romney a better choice? A guy who developed a healthcare plan for Massachusetts and decided to denounce it when he realized that he would lose GOP support otherwise? (Obamacare is HIS BABY!) A guy who has not been consistent on ANY issue over the last 6 or so years?

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:49 PM

5:46 - Don't be a douche. Drugs kill people, ruin families, cost us collectively billions of dollars in law enforcement (both domestic and foreign). They obviously effect others' ability to live freely. Try using your brain before writing next time.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:49 PM

5:49 - Yes. Romney is 100% better than the man-child currently in office. Don't believe it? Good, vote otherwise (once, for you, just in your home state wiseguy). We'll see how things land.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:50 PM

"Impringe" is not a word, 5:40. "

That's the best you could do? Point out a spelling mistake? You one sorry muthafucker!

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:51 PM

That's not true at all, 5:49. Presumably you understand the concept of Federalism.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:53 PM

Romney's sole platform is "get Obama out of office". Yet I have not heard one original thought out of him. I have not heard any solution for creating jobs, other than "I know how to create jobs because I ran corporations". He has not had a consistent stance on any issue presented to him. AND HE created Obamacare.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:53 PM

5:49 your ignorance is astounding.

Drugs are part of a personal choice that do not directly hurt anyone else but the user.

It should be part of the freedoms you speak of for allowing gay marriage.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:54 PM

^ like I said, crazy eyes, misrepresenting and lying.

STFU junior, and just state your sides platforms and stop being a hater!

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:54 PM

"Both sides are guilty of what you claim you idiot 5:43 so cut the shit."

That's a lie, and you are a liar.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:54 PM

5:54(a) - you obviously have never lost any friends or family members to drugs, either by an overdose, or by an accident, or by the crazy behavior that addicts do when they are high.

You have lost your right to speak on here. You are an idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:56 PM

And back to Romney-bashing... there is not one conservative who has whole-heartedly thrown their support around him as a candidate for reasons other than "he's the inevitable Republican candidate, so I support him". That says a lot.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:56 PM

Oh yeah, Romney is going to get elected prez in Nov! a super rich white guy whose former occupation was making money for other super rich white guys. NOBODY is going to vote for Mitt- some might vote against BO, but nobody really believes in this clown.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:56 PM

Do gay marriages generally play The Village People when they are coming down the isle?

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:57 PM

^ like I said, crazy eyes, misrepresenting and lying.

STFU junior, and just state your side's platforms and stop being a hater!

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:57 PM

Did your parents play circus music when they came down the aisle, 5:57?

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:58 PM

Romney is an original??? LULZ!!!! Oh cmon 5:49 or 5:50, you can't even say that with a straight face. Look if you hate Obama and you want to vote for that robot, all power to you. But don't try to serve me dog food and tell me that it's fine dining. Let's not be that fucking crazy now.

Also, Let's just be honest and real here. Anyone who seriously thinks Obama is gonna lose this November has way bigger problems than anything going on in this country right now. You want to proclaim otherwise on here or anywhere else I got no problem with that. At some point though you need to get your head examined.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:58 PM

Personally, I like the idea of a Mexican woman in the white house. Big boobs, slamming behind, and a big platter of chimichangas for the poor. Fuck yeah!

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 5:59 PM

5:58 - Don't get too comfortable about Obama winning. If you support him, make sure you cast your vote. Even with all the hype last time around, Obama won by a small-ish margin. The hype is not as big this time around. There is a huge possibility that he will lose.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 6:01 PM

"Let's just be honest and real here. Anyone who seriously thinks Obama is gonna lose this November has way bigger problems than anything going on in this country right now."

You are living in a dreamland, sonny boy. All of them - Axelrod, Carvill, Snuffelupogus, they all have stated, recently, how easily Obama can lose the election. Stop deceiving yourself.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 6:01 PM

When your at a gay wedding, it's advisable to not join in when they do the loco-motion dance.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 6:01 PM

"But don't try to serve me dog food and tell me that it's fine dining."

It's kind of tough, according to Barack in his first memoir. Fucking bastard chowed down on Lassie, the multicultural weirdo.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 6:01 PM

5:43/5:54 I nominate you for most clueless person today.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 6:03 PM

I'm still voting for RON PAUL.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 6:03 PM

Damn nigga why ya hatin on the cuz? Shit aint rite yo. But check it - them guys sucking on other guys junk, that wack yo. Cut that shit out son!

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 6:03 PM

What does this have to do with music?

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 6:04 PM

^ it has a lot to do with music. The village people are going to be getting a lot more gigs now!

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 6:06 PM

6:01 both, i just laugh at both of you. You can't possibly be this delusional as well as this clueless about politics. Taking Axelrod,or Carville at face value and not understanding they say things for a reason and part of the political game makes it almost impossible to argue the issue with you. You already have one hand tied behind your back, It is not a fair fight.

6:01 there are still people clinging to that tired issue huh? Sad.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 6:07 PM

"5:43/5:54 I nominate you for most clueless person today."

Wow. You actually think that compound assertions constitute an argument, don't you?

Why don't you offer up a single example? Surely you should be able to share with us a case of a Republican politician taking a position that is counter to the wishes of the majority of his own party, in which they all know that he's lying for political reasons and he actually shares their position. I'll bet anything that you can't.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 6:12 PM

The democrats and republicans agree and vote on 98% of the same policies. They use these bullshit religious/social issues to drive a wedge between voters and keep us from looking at what's really going on. Like where are our tax dollars going? Why does getting elected to Congress or the Senate virtually guarantee fortune once they hit the private sector? Politicians are only about themselves and making money. You have to be an ENORMOUS egomaniac to want to be a politician.

Kurt Vonnegut (so it goes) said it best:

"The two real political parties in America are the Winners and the Losers. The people don't acknowledge this. They claim membership in two imaginary parties, the Republicans and the Democrats, instead."

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don’t know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 6:13 PM

5:46 PM Your faux news Michael Weiner "Savage" strange mentality is so cute.
Did you see the clips or audio of the conservative pastor recently on fox news with Hannity saying women shouldnt vote and women in the work place have destroyed America? And Hannity didnt disagree with the guy.

Is that the evolved thinking you support 5:46 PM?

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 6:28 PM

I don't click on links to random moron blogs. Why don't you find the Hannity segment that you're referring to on youtube and link that?

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 6:47 PM

Of course BV covers this. It's hip to talk about gay marriage knowing full well that nothing will actually change by our hand

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 6:49 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 6:50 PM

"wow, there really are a bunch of retards out there. the ecomony is in the tank from years and years of fucked up shit. it didn't suddenly happen in the last 4 years. idiots. he's cleaning up everyone else's mess"

People, retards oblivious to fucked up shit. People, idiots. Someone's cleaning up a mess. Were you by any chance in my Econ classes at Columbia? Anyway, I thank you for tour eloquence.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 6:58 PM

What happened to 6:03(1)? S/he named me Most Clueless Poster of the Day and then vanished without backing it up.

I'd hate to think that my "prize" was as embarrassingly pointless and undeserved as Obama's Nobel.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 7:06 PM

Can someone give me one great original idea that Romney has come up with, to solve economic problems? I can only think of one. It's called Obamacare.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 7:54 PM

6:01 #4 - Lassie was a multicultural weirdo?

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 8:01 PM

Lassie probably was a multicultural weirdo. Getting his rocks off with a lady pooch in Dogland, and then trying to hump his master's leg in the home. Mixing Alpo with whatever scraps he could muster from the dinner table. A true four-legged sophisticate.

But the comma should have indicated to you that in this instance "multicultural weirdo" was referring to the "fucking bastard" who ate Lassie.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 8:09 PM

Of course, "Lassie" kind of suggests that we're talking about a female dog, so the correct multicultural analogy would be way more gross.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 8:16 PM

Here's what I say. From a government point of view, there should not be such a thing as marriage, only civil unions and any two consenting adults can enter into said civil union. Marriage is something that is done in a church -- given that this country has separation of church and state, the government has nothing to do with it. If your church won't marry you (for whatever reason -- race, gender, they just don't like you) you go find a church that will, if the religious aspect of it matters to you so much. And then all this nonsense goes away.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 8:35 PM

To quote Biggie Smalls...

"money and family don't mix, like two dicks and no chics"

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 8:41 PM

Semantics. Marriage from a legal perspective is a civil union. The government should provide same sex couples with the same rights as hetero couples. Whether a religious group decides to recognize that marriage as valid is up to them. But in the eyes of the state, gay or straight should not make a difference. Government should stay out of our personal business as long as we are not affecting anyone else's rights and freedoms.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 8:48 PM

Gay shit.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 8:48 PM

Straight piss

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 8:48 PM

Marriage was "invented" or made for straight couples. Why don't the gays invent their own shit instead of hijacking marriage. Maybe they can call it "Gayriage" and then all this controversy will go away.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 9:00 PM

get ready for an election "issue" that should really be a non-issue. non-issue in that it should just be a given that they can get married but it'll take over the election and distract from more serious and pressing issues.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 9:11 PM

I sort of get the sense that among the realm of radical leftists, this is as much, or more so, about destroying the institution of marriage as it is about being empathetic to gays. This is a very strange issue to me because, as a general matter, I find the arguments that both sides make to be pretty moronic. Gay marriage is pretty much inevitable though. And I'm glad about that.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 9:14 PM

Seriously? He can't do shit about it so who cares?

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 9:18 PM

Set times?

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 9:22 PM

The "institution" of marriage should be destroyed as should all institutions that serve only to control peoples lives, minds, and behaviors.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 9:30 PM

He also said he was for that tanning bed lady from New Jersey. Gotta lock in that jersey tanning salon vote!!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 10:03 PM

Read a text of the interview, he then says that the issue should be decided on by the States.

Isn't that what's being done now?

So in essence, he's said nothing. Once again. The empty suit, Jimmy Carter redux has spoken.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 10:05 PM

Why does Obama support same sex marriage? That's an easy one -> lawyers! Lawyers will make a bundle from divorces. It's no wonder lawyers will be shoveling their money towards Obama's presidential campaign.

Posted by boo | May 9, 2012 10:16 PM

Yeah and Republicans HATE lawyers! They're about REAL 'Mericans! Oh by the way, Romney made $58000 a day last year. A day. Let that sink in and consider if he could possibly have any inkling of what normal everyday life is like. Pretty sure Barack's net worth went up quite a bit once he became a senator. You can only imagine how much he'll rake in after the presidency.

Two sides of the same coin. Winners and Losers.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 10:26 PM

TBA

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 10:36 PM

Romney must be good at what he does. Obama never made that kind of money. Though he did piss away a $100 Million Annenberg grant which was meant to improve Chicago schools. So he may not be rich, but he is pathetic.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 10:40 PM

Ron Paul sucks

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 11:33 PM

No shit.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 11:37 PM

Mitt Romney, American Parasite

His formula was simple: Bain would purchase a firm with little money down, then begin extracting huge management fees and paying Romney and his investors enormous dividends.

The result was that previously profitable companies were now burdened with debt. But much like the Enron boys, Romney's battery of MBAs fancied themselves the smartest guys in the room. It didn't matter if a company manufactured bicycles or contact lenses; they were certain they could run it better than anyone else.

Bain would slash costs, jettison workers, reposition product lines, and merge its new companies with other firms. With luck, they'd be able to dump the firm in a few years for millions more than they'd paid for it.

But the beauty of Romney's thesis was that it really didn't matter if the company succeeded. Because he was yanking out cash early and often, he would profit even if his targets collapsed.

Which was precisely the fate awaiting Georgetown Steel.

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2012 11:48 PM

You should probably link a story from a publication whose writers know more about business than they do about anal sex.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 12:11 AM

i've already been through this 4 years ago. When Obama talks a lot but doesn't come through or demonstrate his talk is a priority in any way

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 12:12 AM

Ron Paul does suck.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 12:19 AM

It's some kind of " gay agenda " BRos. Hollywood / Media be trolling you.

Posted by dont go west | May 10, 2012 12:36 AM

Damn, where are all these angry comments coming from? Did ya get front-paged on FreeRepublic or something? I'm glad to see Obama standing up for basic equality, even if it took too long.

For those who don't like gay marriage, my best advice would be to not have one. Or if you don't like any marriage, don't have a straight marriage either. There really are bigger problems to deal with right now, so go ahead and get whatever kind of marriage or non-marriage you want - and quit worrying so much about other peoples' private lives.

Posted by John | May 10, 2012 1:53 AM

The only real change for the better is with

RON PAUL 2012!!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 3:25 AM

if two grown up people want to do something you should let them do it even if don't agree, but don't tell me gay people will be allowed to legally adopt children, its against the rules of nature and they will mess that kid up

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 4:09 AM

Man up, America. Obama isnt the problem. Ignorant midwesterners and violently stupid southerners are, along with the crooked politicians they elect. "family values" and "morals" is code in america for "i am a corrupt nazi piece of shit"

why else would all the talent and money leave the midwesr and south for NYC at the first opportunity?

there isnt an intelligent thought south fo the mason dixon and hasnt been for years

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 5:07 AM

LOL keep citing Village Voice to support a political argument, you're winning us all over now!

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 7:55 AM

Wow, some people's comments?! Not sure if it's hip for 14 year olds to comment on here now, or people are really that stupid.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 8:23 AM

This is only the beginning. Once they're allowed to marry they'll wanna be able to vote too!

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 8:24 AM

Where's Bushmills when you need it?

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 9:03 AM

5:07 has never been out of the Northeast and still holds onto 50 year old bigoted stereotypes.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 9:29 AM

god hates facts

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 11:22 AM

Marry ape, ape pregnant, but child is ape and not man-ape hybrid, did ape commit adultery? love ape child, but suspicious, so marriage grows cold, become distant from ape, one night in bed ape tries to commence intercourse, "Get your hands off me you dirty stinking ape!", get divorced from ape, split assets and you have to pay alimony and child support but you don't care, tough on the ape child and that hurts. Conclusion: no gay marriage.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 11:53 AM

I second 5:28. Women need to get back into the kitchen and never leave.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 12:30 PM

Remember simpler days when you could backhand a woman into a corner if she so much as sneezed the wrong way? Good times.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 12:40 PM

The only real change for the better is with

Herman Cain 2012!!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 12:49 PM

Bama' just lost his hood pass.

Posted by goAt | May 10, 2012 1:21 PM

"ask yourself, you religious idiots"

perfect. lol

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 1:23 PM

every backwards HICK on here who opposes gay marriage should pack their bags and go immediately back to whatever godforsaken bible-belt hell hole you crawled out of. this is brooklyn VEGAN, for culturally and socially progressive people, not TEXAS MORON MEAT EATER REPUBLICAN WING NUT.
God save NYC from you losers...

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 1:27 PM

I oppose marriage as an institution.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 1:31 PM

LOL at 9:22
also LOL at garriage.
i support gay marriage
i support obama
but i think he did himself alot more harm than good by announcing this... i fear he will lose a lot more people than he will gain.
this country doesn't reward politicians who do the right thing.. but, karma will.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 1:42 PM

and oh yeah BV can you please kill those godawful romney ads???
i know you are making a ton of money by selling out to the wrong side of the line, but as a reguler bkln veganer i am pretty offended.
do you know what republicans do to protect CAFO's??? pretty hypocritical... just sayin.

'
'
v

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 1:48 PM

I'm sure that karma really gives a fuck about gay marriage. Besides, what karma would he have coming for using the issue now, as always, as a naked political calculation. Were he not having more trouble raising money than in '08, he would have happily maintained the public fiction that he's cultivated on this issue. He's a soulless piece of shit.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 2:06 PM

where are there romney ads? or is that a joke? somehow my job blocks the ads on the side actually, which makes for a better read.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 2:12 PM

I just think it's funny that people like that fat pumpkinhead Rush Limbaugh or Newt Gingrich can comment on maintaining the sanctity of marriage, when they've each been married like 10 times already.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 2:59 PM

..and wouldn't marrying Newt or Rush be the equivalent to marrying a wild animal, anyway?

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 3:01 PM

^ you are confusing them with your mother ;-) she does fuck like a wild animal with me anyway

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 3:03 PM

LOL crazy eyed lefties like bratty little children, as usual slinging pejoratives about people they don't even know simply because they have opinions that do not agree with their own. Why should you care, future reader? Because eventually it will be you or me as the target, as the "Emmanuel Goldstein". That's the way tyranny works - "a utopia for the common man" becomes a smaller and smaller circle of oligarchs, with gulags and firing squads for the rest of us.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 3:10 PM

How's the economy doing, stupid?

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 3:11 PM

As a member of The Village People, I am excited about all the upcoming gigs I will have.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 3:11 PM

5:54-fucking idiot

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 3:28 PM

Which 5:54, smart person?

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 4:16 PM

Did I strike a nerve, 3:03 and 3:10?
Face facts... Fat pumpkinhead Rush and shady Newt are the last people who should speak about preserving marriage.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 6:52 PM

Rich people can be as dysfunctional and self-indulgent in their private lives as they like and it means exactly nothing for civilization.

It's the poor and working class who pay most dearly for broken homes and children born out of wedlock. But, as always, scratch a lefty who fancies him or herself to be compassionate, and find a stupid and delusional pile of shit.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 7:29 PM

You've read too much Ayn Rand.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 7:51 PM

"You've read too much Ayn Rand."

I'll take that as a complement. You know, because usually lefties trot out their reflexive Faux News stupidity unless they surmise that they're dealing with someone who went to better schools than they did. In which case, they move on to Ayn Rand.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 8:01 PM

Ayn's ideas are great on paper, but are flawed.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 8:05 PM

And she's a horrible, long winded writer.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 8:08 PM

She's like all writers who take no joy in the process of writing but fancy their ideas to be too important to keep to themselves. She's pure torture to read.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 8:15 PM

8:01 - Only the ones that have not yet worked themselves apoplectic with seething rage for anything not like them (usually that takes about 2 or 3 comments on here, about the same length of interchange in an actual verbal conversation). After they go non-linear, all bets are off. Then, it usually devolves precipitously into filthy, mean name calling (with spittled consonants if you are in person)

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 9:17 PM

Is that Limey ex-pat still getting all worked up on here over political posts? Maybe he did comment - I didn't have the patience to read through all of the postings, and he's such a reflexive imbecile that he never could resist a chance to convince others of his stupidity. I do hope that he got a chance to get all worked up and gave some new folks a good laugh. I always laughed best over his socialist rants. I love it when people go to another country just to try to remake it into where they left. Never works, and they never learn.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2012 9:25 PM

8:01 - What school you went to never crossed my mind, honestly. Although I will say that the only intelligent people I know who are hard-line conservatives also happen to be Ayn Rand fans. And they usually go on rants about compassion towards the poor. Hence why i made the comment.

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2012 7:08 AM

^ how many actual Conservatives to you actually know? In my experience, especially in the northeast, ESPECIALLY in NYC, liberals do not associate with Conservatives (once they find out their beliefs). In NYC, you need to actually search to find a Conservative. So, when you intimate that you know several "hard-line Conservatives" I can only assume that you are lying, or you are talking about family members in Ames Iowa, or you are writing from Texas or Montana.

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2012 8:11 AM

8:11...Difference between conservatives and liberals is if a conservative finds out someones a liberal they think to themselves "this person doesn't have a clue how the world really works" but are generally cordial to that person. The conservative can actually have a friendship with someone who is a liberal if they were given the chance. The liberal on the other hand, when finding out someone has differing views that may be considered "conservative" or worse, "politically incorrect", will shun them, denounce them, try to have the person silenced, and will nine times out of ten throw in the word RACIST or NAZI for good measure. They close themselves to any sort of communication with the said conservative. The liberals essentially have become the fascists they claim to fight against. In other words they're complete hypocrites and con artists. On a side note, ironically, liberals tend to be much stuffier than their counterparts and lack a sense of humor. Which is odd, considering the jokes they are.

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2012 8:37 AM

I don't read Ayn Rand, I read Danny Bonaduce

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2012 8:46 AM

Danny Bonaduce is the Al Gore of our generation, the Wendell Willkie of whoopass, the truffell swine of bad taste, the bitch goddess of Broadway!

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2012 8:48 AM

I bet that Barack sits around in his draws eating pork rinds and watching Breaking Bonaduce with Melia

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2012 8:50 AM

8:11 - as a Catholic, white male growing up in Queens, I know PLENTY of conservatives. You'd be surprised. Most older white people I know are conservative (including my parents). Most white cops I know are conservative. There's more in NYC than you would think.

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2012 9:00 AM

..but with that said, I am neither conservative nor liberal. I am independent, and am registered as such. My views could be on either side, depending on the issue. I don't treat politics as if it were a sports team.

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2012 9:03 AM

I've never been shy about being a conservative/libertarian in the city, and you'd be surprised by the people who cop to the same thing as a result of that. But as a general matter, righties in the city tend to keep it to themselves because enough lefties are openly hostile to make it really not worth your while to engage them.

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2012 9:17 AM

I'm an anarchist- more open minded, evolved, and cooler than all of you.

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2012 10:17 AM

^You mean analchist.

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2012 10:50 AM

Anarchists are more evolved. The problem is that "evolving" is a morally-neutral occurrence, and when you're talking about a group of ugly and anti-social misfits donning black masks to break shit and/or commandeering public parks to sleep in and bang on pots, it's hard to imagine how that advances civilization in any discernible way. A good question for anyone to ask is how would the world be better if everyone was exactly like me? And in the case of anarchists, the whole world would be a whole lot like Haiti.

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2012 11:23 AM

I am definitely NOT voting for Obama now.

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2012 11:40 AM

“Barack Obama is an amateur.” Bill Clinton

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2012 2:39 PM

Ok. Now focus on the economy and letting business create jobs again. Thank you.

Posted by Steve | May 11, 2012 11:59 PM