Posted in music | pictures on May 25, 2012

by Dominick Mastrangelo

Afghan Whigs

In the afterglow of The Afghan Whigs first show in 13 years, fans lingered outside the Bowery Ballroom on Wednesday, still buzzing from the two-hour, roller coaster of memories. Some swapped stories, others dragged on cigarettes, all of them beaming from ear to ear. When bassist John Curley and guitarist Rick McCollum wandered out, fans circled the band members, expressed their appreciation and a round of "I saw you in (insert city)" commenced.

"I saw you in Jersey on the 1965 tour," said one fan to Curley. "I saw you in Chicago," another said to McCollum. I was jealous. My "I saw you..." moment was an "I was supposed to see you..." moment. "In Dallas in '99," I said to Curley.

Anyone versed in the Whigs history know they never made it to that show and the band called it quits before they made it back. So, when Greg Dulli crooned "I waited long, the waiting's over," during "Bulletproof," it probably resonated a lot more with me than most of the sold-out crowd who already had their live moment over a decade ago. And the Whigs did not disappoint. They weren't as advertised - they were better. There was never a chance Dulli would get the Whigs back together only for them to fall flat.

A 20-song set with two encores spanned most of the Whigs catalog, but was focused mainly on the last three records: 1965, Black Love, and the critically acclaimed Gentlemen.

Early on, they dipped all the way back to Congregation for "I'm Her Slave" which they performed the night before on Jimmy Fallon. Dulli thanked Sub Pop records pioneers Megan Jasper and Jonathan Poneman more than once on the night for giving the band a shot (as well as making them the first non-Pacific Northwest band to sign to the label.)

Dulli trash-talked a heckler during one of those shout outs, describing in graphic detail what he would do to him if he dared step foot on stage. "Did I kiss your girlfriend?" Dulli asked, before adding an insincere "I'm sorry."

And that bravado permeates the Whigs catalog, in songs like the bruising "Fountain and Fairfax" during the first encore and "Debonair." "Tonight I go to hell for what I've done to you / But this ain't about regret" Dulli screamed on the latter.

As much as the night was about celebrating the past and screaming along to "Crime Scene Part One" or "66" (or pretty much any song they played on Wednesday) it was more about reveling in the reformation and hopefully the prolonged second act of The Afghan Whigs.

The Afghan Whigs will be playing much bigger venues when they return to the NYC area. In addition to Duuli currating this year's ATP I'll Be Your Mirror in Asbury Park, NJ in September (tickets are still available), and then will play a sold-out Terminal 5 show October 5.

More pics of Afghan Whigs' Bowery show (including opener Joseph Arthur) and setlist are below.

The Afghan Whigs

Show of the year!

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 10:46 AM

Well, I been plowin' behind the mule, son
Picking cotton all day long
Yes, I been plowin'
Picking cotton all day long
I said, Lordy, baby
But my woman she be gone

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 10:47 AM

10:46 +1
Show of the YEAR

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 10:51 AM

Awesome Photos! I met the photographer before the Arthur set, Thanks for the review and Pics, what an Outstanding night!!! They did not disappoint for even a second. So good to see them all back together.

Posted by TimM | May 25, 2012 10:52 AM

Fuckin fantastic show. Great stuff. Party like it's 1999.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 10:52 AM

Show of the millennium!

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 10:55 AM

I'm pretty sure the Fluid were the first non Northwest band signed to Sub Pop.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 10:56 AM

Fantastic setlist and photos. Those of us in flyover country can only hope that more tour dates are added!

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 10:57 AM

10:46 +2

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 10:59 AM

10:56 - Yes, AW were the first band east of Rockies. Rightly pointed out, 2nd outside of Seattle.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 11:00 AM

1 hour 50 minutes show including the waits for anchors.

And the fight with the heckler that prolonged over two acts was stupid and quite douchey for my taste.
Otherwise a great show indeed.

Posted by ME | May 25, 2012 11:00 AM

9:45 to 11:45 (with encores) is 2 hours where I'm from

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 11:01 AM

10:46 +3

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 11:01 AM

I've seen many great shows, and a handful of timeless ones. This one ranks with that 2nd grouping.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 11:02 AM

If they only came out and did the Miles Iz Ded encore, it would have been worth it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 11:04 AM

show of the night!

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 11:10 AM

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 11:10 AM

11:10 - I didn't miss anything! I was saying that if that was the only thing they played I would have still come and it would have still been worth it!

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 11:13 AM

I've still got a chubby thinking about this show

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 11:17 AM

11:04 they did do miles...you should have stayed for the 2nd encore.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 11:22 AM

SHOW OF MY LIFE!

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 11:31 AM

You know what would have been more awesome? If Pavement played Bowery on their reunion tour...they need to play again!

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 11:33 AM

Awesome show, awesome night. Crowd was great too! Bowery Ballroom was not not oversold, so room to move and jump and shout. And what a setlist!

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 11:39 AM

Wow 11:04. I feel your pain. Some people should relearn reading comprehension.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 11:39 AM

^ nah, I wrote it bass ackwards. I shoulda been clearerer

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 11:51 AM

Show of the year will be Radiohead next week but this came pretty close...

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 11:53 AM

Best 90s reunion so far:

Pavement > the Afghan Whigs > Guided by Voices > Archers of Loaf

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 11:55 AM

totes tits!

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 11:56 AM

rangers suck

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 12:03 PM

Pavement sucked live in the '90s and they weren't so great last year (Central Park). Good band, but just so/so live.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 12:07 PM

This will probably be show of the year until Everclear, Sugar Ray, Lit and the Gin Blossoms come around. Yeah!

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 12:12 PM

Pavement is not even close to Afghan Whigs. And, unlike the serial troll I've seen both bands so my opinion holds more weight.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 12:12 PM

You know what's funny? Kids that were still swimming around in their daddy's nutsack in the 90s think Skrillex is the fucking bomb. Yeah, that's some funny shit.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 12:15 PM

Pavement tickets at Central Park Day of Show $10

Whigs $150?

Sure Pavement played 4 shows and put tickets on sale a year and a half early but anyhoo

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 12:24 PM

Show of my generation!

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 12:30 PM

11:53, lol, Radiohead stadium shows. If it were a GA show, it'd be one thing...

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 12:32 PM

^What stadium is Radiohead playing at?

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 12:42 PM

No, this show totally takes it over Radiohead this year. Sorry fanboy, but facts is facts.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 12:43 PM

Best shows of all time Bach Leipzig 1723- Pete's Tavern
Afghan Whigs Bowery Ballroom Wed night!

Have at it :)

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 12:44 PM

^Pardon the semantics, arena.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 12:44 PM

"Pavement tickets at Central Park Day of Show $10"

I paid $20. Pavement was worth the $20, but not much more.

And I actually like the Gin Blossoms.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 12:46 PM

LOL @ Bach Leipzig
"In 1723, Bach was appointed Cantor of the Thomasschule at Thomaskirche in Leipzig, and Director of Music in the principal churches in the town, namely the Nikolaikirche and the Paulinerkirche, the church of the University of Leipzig. This was a prestigious post in the mercantile city in the Electorate of Saxony, which he held for 27 years until his death. It brought him into contact with the political machinations of his employer, Leipzig's city council."

Don't think he was playing Pete's Tavern, skippy.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 12:47 PM

I'LL BRING THE CAR
YOU BRING THE MATCH AND GASOLINE

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 12:49 PM

Comparing Radiohead to Afghan Whigs is apples/oranges. Both are known for great live performances. It really boils down to who you personally like better....

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 12:50 PM

^ true, except one is bloated and self-important and the other is lean mean and pissed off

not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 12:52 PM

Good point, 12:52. There's something to be said for a band that is a little more hungry.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 12:53 PM

Thanks 11:10. I could watch that clip all day.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 12:56 PM

11:55 - Pixies? Soundgarden? GnR (if you consider it a "reunion")?

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 12:58 PM

12:47 sounds like you missed a helluva a show...he played a guest listed show at Pete's Tavern...it was filled with suits they didn't let the other ticket holders in becasue capactiy was reached quickly.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 1:01 PM

12:58 Pixies, Soundgarden, Whigs and GNR all from the 80's

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 1:03 PM

Show of my virginity!

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 1:03 PM

@1:03
duh, of course. sorry.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 1:11 PM

Dulli of the year!

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 1:11 PM

"Sing the song asshole"

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 1:14 PM

If enough publicists pretend online that a band is "important," the internet people will take it as gospel, apparently.

Meanwhile, the Afghan Whigs are like the definition of a 90's cut out bin band. PASS.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 1:17 PM

^and you would know...you own their albums, see the show? Yeah thought so.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 1:19 PM

1:17 - How's that new Skrillex? Is it aMAZing, like the ICP CDs your big brother used to play?

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 1:22 PM

@1:17
Please list 3 acts that you like and listen to frequently

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 1:23 PM

The Afghan Whigs repackaging is a blatant Indie industry hoodwink. 2 years ago, nobody would have gone to an Afghan Whigs show... now with no legit reason to justify reexamining them, they're being talked up like beloved legends. It's sad how easily you internet music fans are led and duped.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 1:26 PM

1:17, I like them because I saw them live. They are a better live band than pretty much 99% of the bands you have ever seen in your life. And I don't exaggerate.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 1:26 PM

Good point 1250pm! I love some people are saying Radiohead show won't compare to this show when they haven't even seen them on this tour except for maybe youtube footages. I can't wait for the comments next weekend when they blow the roof off of Prudential Center with their magical stage production:)

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 1:27 PM

1:26, you probably should see them live first before you make a statement about fans being duped. Clearly a lot of people walked away from this show happy. I doubt they were 'led' or 'duped'.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 1:28 PM

This arena tour cannot hold a candle to that pair of Roseland shows. Bearing witness to both of those, I need not go to another Radiohead show.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 1:32 PM

1:26 wow two years ago no one would see them...I saw them in 1999 and was waiting for the day when I could see them live again. I have seen about 50 shows a year since 1995 and would place the Whigs back in 1999 in the top tier of shows.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 1:33 PM

1:26 - I saw Afghan Whigs back in '98 or '99 (not sure when), and was absolutely blown away (and surprised) at just how good of a live band they were. I was dragged to this show by a friend, and walked away from it thanking my friend profusely for bringing me along. So for me, this is not some hype-bs.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 1:34 PM

1:23

Teenage Fanclub
Beat Happening
the Move

1:22

Wouldn't know with any authority as I'm an old dog, but your dismissal of current young people music is sad, and I say that as a peer. What I know of Skrillex makes him seem like a pretty brilliant provocateur and player of the game. More power to the kid, even if I haven't heard it enough to get it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 1:38 PM

I've found many a Teenage Fanclub CD in cutout bins. Not that they suck, but I have found them there. Just sayin'.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 1:40 PM

1:17/1:38 - If you can honestly say that you have seen Afghan Whigs live, and you don't get it, then we have differing tastes in music and I can respect that. But it sounds like you are being dismissive of a band you do not know enough about.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 1:46 PM

Honest words 1:46

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 1:53 PM

The whigs were/are tremendous live. Dulli is a true showman, and he has accompanied himself with great players irrespective of whether it is the whigs or one of his other projects. The hype is a bit bloated tho - in the grand scheme of music, they aren't groundbreaking nor are they influential; so, to call them important is a stretch. Important to their fans, yes. The reunion being an important one, not so much.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 1:54 PM

No music should be referred to as 'important' unless there is some socio or political impact on society. I hate when people throw that word around to describe a band.
But with that said, Afghan Whigs rock.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 1:58 PM

1:38 - too funny! you get all sanctimonious about "new artists" and yet the 3 bands you list are all older than Afghan Whigs. I find *your* blind hatred to be - as 1:46 points out - based on ignorance and hyperbole (or maybe even not being able to get into the show?) and not on actual fact or experience. Just as an aside, are you also the guy in the other thread that listed LCD and Radiohead as your faves? Just askin'. Anyway, I might suggest that instead of being sanctimonious you may want to actually see AW live before disparaging them or the show any more. It really is rather unbecoming for an older person to show such ignorance.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 1:59 PM

1:54. You are right. Seeing this band live is important to me. I don't expect that it is important to anyone else.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 2:01 PM

@1:58
I was there and the lines were NOT an issue. I was able to get either (good) wine or beer by waiting in a single line for two minutes max. Also, the sight lines for every band were excellent (even if one or two were not my cup of tea) and the conversations were funny and piqued my interest (and appetite!). I have lived in New York City for over ten years and I think this was one of the funnest and best-run festivals -- looking forward to today and hope they bring it back next year! The whole crowd was having a good time -- anyone who says otherwise was not there.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 2:02 PM

More often than not, music is precipitated by socio/political conditions, not vice versa. That said, the use of important was framed within 'music', not society.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 2:03 PM

I dunno - mixing a more aggressive form of rock (hard rock and mild elements of punk and grunge) with soul music was not / is not being done by many / any other bands. And no, I definitely would not count RHCP, RATM or any of that stream (different mixture). To mix such a white form of music with such a black form, and to do it convincingly and with sensitivity to both sides, that kinda sounds objectively important to me.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 2:06 PM

1:59 - guy never said a word about new bands, actually. was talking about how these reunions keep coming down the pike and getting over hyped.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 2:08 PM

Well, when the Ace of Base reunion happens, count me in!

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 2:10 PM

I saw Afghan Whigs at Liberty Lunch in the 90's, as well as have been played many of their songs and albums. They are boring to me.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 2:12 PM

2:08- But he also referred to them as a '90's cutout bin' band, which ironically could also describe Teenage Fanclub.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 2:12 PM

2:08 - "your dismissal of current young people music is sad" plus more, if you go back and read the post

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 2:12 PM

LOL 2:08 got his self-created anonymous internet personae confused! Too funny! Maybe some fish oil will help stave off the Alzheimer's, old man!

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 2:14 PM

I had a good time at this show

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 2:15 PM

right on 2:06

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 2:15 PM

Fair enough 2:06, my knowledge of all of those elements is too pedestrian to play devil's advocate (I have the cover of 'come ssee about me' on right now and it gels with your comment). Not that there is a need to do so. I think i've just grown skeptical of the praise of recently reunited bands with high priced tickets to sell on the horizon - tho any praise bestowed on the actual performance in this case is definitely warranted.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 2:16 PM

dude said specifically that he couldn't speak with any authority about young bands. your zeal to shoot down criticism of Afghan Whigs by actually lying about what the critics said makes you sound suspicious, like you have a dog in the race. maybe you work for the publicity campaign and are here to talk up how great their live show is?

viral marketing is oh so tacky, buddy.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 2:23 PM

They really sounded great, very tight and punchy, as if they never broke up. Though now I can't get over Dulli's resemblance to Rob Riggle from "Step Brothers" (POW! POW POW!!!)

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 2:42 PM

Nice attempt at trolling 2:23. Perhaps you will get better as you gain more life experiences and learn the actual buttons that get people upset.

Let's deconstruct your argument, for the sake of the others who share my incredulity.
(1) "dude said specifically" First off, stop talking like the previous post was not you. Oh, it wasn't? So, you just come on BV and 100% agree with what some critical voice has to say, right out of the gate? Right ... maybe that works in Topeka, not here.
(2) "that he couldn't speak with any authority about young bands" ref. 1:59, ref. 1:38, ref. 1:22, ref. 1:17 - "If enough publicists pretend online that a band is "important," the internet people will take it as gospel, apparently" Wow - where have I heard that accusation before? Oh yeah, YOU made that accusation! And as for your uncovered non-anonymous point, that AW are bargain bin while listing 3 bargain bin bands that you listen to? too FUNNY! What you did say @1:38 was "Wouldn't know with any authority as I'm an old dog" - so you are too old to listen to this new music that you are defending? So you are speaking not just out of ignorance about AW but about Skrillex too? You are one crotchety old man, aren't you?
(3) "actually lying about what the critics said" I honestly have no idea what the fuck you are talking about here. You see, I could play along with your delusion if you like, if it makes you feel better, but I am not party to the dialog inside your head. If you have specific "critics" in mind, your gonna have to write them out. We don't hear the voices inside your head, no matter how real they seem to you.
(4) "you sound suspicious, like you have a dog in the race ... maybe you work for the publicity campaign ... viral marketing" That's laughable - anyone that expresses an honest opinion about something you don't like is a viral marketer? And now that you mention it ... if you don't like AW, what the fuck are you doing posting here? THAT kind of sounds suspicious to me, like Dulli fucked your girlfriend or something. Do you often couch your personal vendettas in such insincere, deceptive ways? You should get some therapy for that, "old dog".

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 2:51 PM

Damn I do believe that 2:23 just got taken to school!

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 2:56 PM

Bravo 2:51 *clap* *clap*

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 3:12 PM

2:51 typed all that out for an anonymous dude on the internet. Lulz. Afghan Whigs fans are dopes.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 3:13 PM

3:13 came on a thread about a band whose fans he doesn't like just to write disparaging comments about them. Lulz. Trolls are dopes.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 3:36 PM

Well 3:13, seeing as I'm now a "viral marketer" I guess that I'll just charge my time back to the phantom record company that has not signed an active contract with Afghan Whigs. See how that works?

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 3:42 PM

^wtf are you blabbering about? I didn't actually read the thread. I'm just decided to laugh at you for typing out paragraphs...

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 4:06 PM

^ oh so your just a douche troll? your mom must be really proud of you. right behind the dog.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 4:08 PM

4:06 - first time here, huh?

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 4:19 PM

10:56 & 11:00

Both of you are wrong. The Fluid was NEVER signed to Sub Pop. There was an agreement between Glitterhouse and Sub Pop that they would release their records stateside but they were never signed to the label.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 4:25 PM

you guys are really personally invested in this boring fucking 90's band. why? they are not worthy.

sounds like you DO work for the band.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 4:34 PM

^i know. It's funny. That one earnest dude was typing out paragraphs....lulz

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 4:39 PM

I hope that publicity deal is paying serious bills buds. you are spending a lot of time on this evil comment board

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 4:42 PM

^ lol like u?

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 4:46 PM

Fluid:

"In 1988, they released the album Clear Black Paper on Sub Pop. They were the first non-Seattle band to sign to the record label"

You mean this Fluid, the one that wasn't on Sub Pop?

I don't usually take the word of anonymous posters on music blogs over actual verifiable sources - tell me 4:25 why should I start now?

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 4:53 PM

AW is some half-ass shit. All the Whigs fans who really want to rock should check out the almighty Blueshammer!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 4:54 PM

Everyone in here has to simmer down, and have a dip of hummus.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 5:46 PM

Can someone please explain what they like about the Afghan Whigs? I have never understood the appeal of this band.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 6:59 PM

4:53, thank you of course for pointing out the truth. Good for you to not get swept up in the usual attack of the "BV know it all's"

The Fluid were indeed signed to Sub Pop and were the first non seattle band signed. A special fuck you to 4:25. Speak on what you know dunce. There was no agreement between Glitterhouse and Sub Pop. Sub Pop signed em and released a few of their records, toured with other Sub Pop bands etc. You are an idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 7:27 PM

Killed It.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 7:42 PM

12:29 Nailed it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 8:36 PM

Brooklyn is flyover country

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 10:46 PM

Great night, can't wait till ATP. Still no headliner for Friday, right? Wonder if they will come out of any of the festivals that Afghan Whigs are playing over the next couple months?

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2012 11:46 PM

I drank a fuck load of beer, and had a great time.

Posted by Anonymous | May 26, 2012 12:34 AM

5:46 understands the power of the phyto-nutrient.

Posted by Anonymous | May 26, 2012 3:39 AM

Blueshammer

Posted by Anonymous | May 26, 2012 11:50 AM

who cares about this band. anyone who was alive in the 90's knows they were not noteworthy, then or now

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2012 1:40 AM

Hey is the guy who is pumping this band full of compliments being paid?

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2012 12:49 PM

Can you email me with some pointers on how you made your site look this awesome, I would appreciate it.

Posted by jocuri | August 27, 2012 2:44 PM