Posted in music | tour dates on June 7, 2012

The Flaming Lips at Jones Beach in 2011 (more by Dana (distortion) Yavin)
The Flaming Lips

First Jack White. Then Melvins. Who better to next attempt a Guinness Book record than The Flaming Lips? They've already made a 24-hour song (has anyone ever stayed awake to listen to the whole thing?) and now they'll attempt to break a Guiness World Record by playing the most concerts in multiple cities during a 24-hour period, a record currently held by Jay-Z. They've got eight shows scheduled to take place on June 27 and 28 in Memphis, Clarksdale, Oxford, Jackson, Hattiesburg, Biloxi, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans. Each show is with a different opener. Openers include Grimes, Neon Indian, Gary Clark Jr., Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, GIVERS, and more. The shows are in conjunction with the O Music Awards. The shows in list format are below.

In other Flaming Lips news, the video they made for the song with Erykah Badu which featured "Erykah's sister, Nayrok, naked in a bathtub as she's showered in glitter, blood, and... hair conditioner?" has been removed from the internet with a statement apologizing for it ever having been posted. Concerning the video, Erykah was um... unhappy, to say the least, and she makes that pretty clear. You can read her entire statement below, choice quote being Erykah telling Wayne he can "KiSS MY Glittery ASS."

Erykah's statement to Wayne and Flaming Lips dates are below.

@waynecoyne then... perhaps, next time u get an occasion to work with an artist who respects your mind/art, you should send at least a ROUGh version of the video u PLAN to release b4 u manipulate or compromise the artist's brand by desperately releasing a poor excuse for shock and nudity that sends a convoluted message that passes as art( to some). Even with Window Seat there was a method and thought process involved. I have not one need for publicity . I just love artistic dialogue . And just because an image is shocking does not make it art. You obviously have a misconception of who I am artistically. I don't mind that but... By the way you are an ass. Yu did everything wrong from the on set . First: You showed me a concept of beautiful tasteful imagery( by way of vid text messages) . I trusted that. I was mistaken. Then u release an unedited, unapproved version within the next few days. That all spells 1 thing , Self Serving . When asked what the concept meant after u explained it , u replied ,"it doesn't mean anything , I just want to make a great video that everyone is going to watch. " I understood , because as an artist we all desire that. But we don't all do it at another artist's expense . I attempted to resolve this respectfully by having conversations with u after the release but that too proved to be a poor excuse for art. From jump, You begged me to sit in a tub of that other shit and I said naw. I refused to sit in any liquid that was not water. But Out of RESPECT for you and the artist you 'appear' to be, I Didn't wanna kill your concept , wanted u to at least get it out of your head . After all, u spent your dough on studio , trip to Dallas etc.. Sooo, I invited Nayrok , my lil sis and artist, who is much more liberal ,to be subject of those other disturbing (to me ) scenes . I told u from jump that I believed your concept to be disturbing. But would give your edit a chance. You then said u would take my shots ( in clear water/ fully covered parts -seemed harmless enough) and Nayrok's part ( which I was not present for but saw the photos and a sample scene of cornstarch dripping ) and edit them together along with cosmic, green screen images ( which no one saw) then would show me the edit. . Instead, U disrespected me by releasing pics and rough vid on the internet without my approval. (Contract breech ) That is equivalent to putting out a security camera's images of me changing in the fitting room. I never would have approved that tasteless, meaningless, shock motivated video . Our art is a reflection of who we are . I have no connection to those images shot in their raw version. I was interested in seeing an amazing edit that would perhaps change or alter my thoughts . Never happened . You also did the same thing with the song itself which displays crappy "rough "vocals by me . I let it go , perhaps iiiii was missing something, I thought. I Should have followed my first mind back in studio when recording the vocals "your way". ( Red flag.) It was uncomfortable. For that I am at fault . Consequently, brother, As a human I am disgusted with your what appears to be desperation and poor execution. And disregard for others . As a director I am unimpressed . As a sociologist I understand your type. As your fellow artist I am uninspired. As a woman I feel violated and underestimated. Hope it works out for ya ,Wayne. Really i could give a shit less. Still love your live show tho. And , you're welcomed. Lesson learned . By the way I have guested in very few videos. But I have always been given the opportunity to see the edit and contribute to it when my roll is substantial. Not this time . I guess u feel it better to apologize than ask for permission and be refused . Hey, Love u man, but your ways are not very nice . O, And on behalf of all the artists u have manipulated or plan to manipulate, find another way . These things have been said out of necessity. And if you don't like it you can KiSS MY Glittery ASS . O and Nayrok told me to tell u to kiss her ass too . Almost forgot. Peace

Ms. Badu

The Flaming Lips -- 2012 Tour Dates
6-9-2012 Manchester, UK Parklife Weekender
6-16-2012 Toronto, ON, Canada NXNE, Yonge-Dundas Square
6-21-2012 Lawrence, KS, USA Liberty Hall
6-22-2012 Lawrence, KS, USA Liberty Hall
6-24-2012 Saint Paul, MN, USA River's Edge Music Festival, Harriet Island
6-27-2012 Memphis, TN Handy Park (with New Fumes)
6-27-2012 Clarksdale, MS Ground Zero Blues Club (with Gary Clark Jr)
6-27-2012 Oxford, MS The Lyric (with Grace Potter & The Nocturnals)
6-28-2012 Jackson, MS Duling Hall (with Neon Indian)
6-28-2012 Hattiesburg, MS Benny's Boom Boom Room (with Hunter Hayes)
6-28-2012 Biloxi, MS Hard Rock Casino (opener TBA)
6-28-2012 Baton Rouge, LA Varsity (with GIVERS)
6-28-2012 New Orleans, LA TBD (with Grimes)
7-7-2012 Kongsberg, Norway Kongsberg Jazz Festival
7-10-2012 Padua, Italy Sherwood Festival
7-11-2012 Turin, Italy Le Gru
7-13-2012 Ostrava, Czech Republic Colours of Ostrava
7-15-2012 Dour, Belgium Dour Festival
7-20-2012 Thornville, OH, USA All Good Festival
7-22-2012 Dover, DE, USA Firefly Music Festival
7-27-2012 Sch├Ânwalde-Glien, Germany Greenville Festival, Paarem Im Glien
8-9-2012 Madison, WI, USA Pondamonium, Warner Park
8-26-2012 Saint Louis, MO, USA LouFest, Forest Park Central Field
9-9-2012 Dana Point, CA, USA Dohney Days Music Festival
9-14-2012 Victoria, BC, Canada Rifflandia Festival

YTIN.ASNIL LIVES

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 1:31 PM

Givers, Grimes, Neon Indian???!!!

Man Wayne you've gone soft having these super shitty openers!!!

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 1:33 PM

publicity stunt

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 1:33 PM

Guinness Book? For what, going the longest without putting out anything noteworthy?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 1:42 PM

I hope for Erykah Badu's sake it's not a publicity stunt, because she sounds so, so fucking dumb. She's come off perfectly as the popular, hot woman at the party that's never been challenged on any thought or opinion that has popped into her head, and so has never been required to form any kind of actual intellectual point of view. Sorta like the John Hamm character on 30 Rock... Also Coyne responded to that choice quote with a picture on Twitter - http://www.mobypicture.com/user/waynecoyne/view/12975220

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 1:50 PM

YTI.NASNIL is God's mediator. Trust in YTINA.SNIL. He saves.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 1:58 PM

Anyone know where the video can still be seen, if at all?

Nothing disappears on the internet. I know more than most.

Posted by Anthony Weiner | June 7, 2012 2:15 PM

It's still on Pr'ez Hill

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 2:19 PM

"As a sociologist I understand your type." lol

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 2:24 PM

The record that the Melvins are going for is much cooler. Then again, the Melvins aren't pretentious overbloated doofuses like Wayne Coyne and his gang are.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 2:29 PM

that's enough, Wayne Coyne

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 2:31 PM

I wonder where Wayne Coyne was able to find the glitter for his twitpic on such short notice.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 2:37 PM

i can't decide if i love or hate that wayne coyne has so diluted himself in the past few years.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 2:47 PM

Fuck all these assholes shilling for Guinness book attention.
Put your over bloated effort into releasing some music of interest instead of mugging for more attention.
Fucking whores.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 2:50 PM

YTINAS.NIL > Jesus > Wayne Coyne > that washed up grape soda drinking bitch.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 2:52 PM

ART ART ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ART ART ART ARTIST ARTIST ART

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 2:53 PM

DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHENOZZLE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHECHILLS DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHENOZZLE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHECHILLS DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHENOZZLE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHECHILLS DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHENOZZLE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHECHILLS DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHENOZZLE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHECHILLS DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHENOZZLE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHECHILLS DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHENOZZLE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHECHILLS DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHENOZZLE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHE DOUCHECHILLS

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 3:12 PM

I've always loved the Flaming Lips, but they need to take a few years off and lay low.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 3:13 PM

^ word. embryonic was so good, but i'm tired of them putting out some wacky new gummy record or whatever every three days.

CHILL OUT WAYNE

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 3:13 PM

same PR team as Black Sabbath. Nice one!

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 3:16 PM

Erykah Badu is my favorite blacktress

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 3:46 PM

Ms badu is freaking dumb. Wow.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 3:47 PM

Why does anyone give a damn about the guiness book?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 3:57 PM

wayne's brain is always workin'

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 4:00 PM

I could see how Erykah could be pissed about the video, if she didn't get to see the rough version, and wasn't present when her sister's bathtub scenes were shot. But the sister, who was obviously there, naked with various liquids streaming down her body, all the while doing whatever dancing she was doing -- can't really complain about the video. Its not like they drugged her and forced her to do it.

Loved the NSFW warnings on the video though. "YOU WILL BE FIRED IF YOU WATCH THIS VIDEO AT WORK".

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 4:07 PM

Egoz

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 5:21 PM

tl;dr Fuck off Erykah, you should be glad someone is paying attention.

Posted by Old Bro | June 7, 2012 5:22 PM

Old bro NAILED IT.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 6:03 PM

WAYNE COYNE IS A GOLDEN GOD.

SO IS OLD BRO.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 6:07 PM

Badu needs to chill on this one. Ridiculous. Wayne rules.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 6:20 PM

Seems her grape soda ws flat and it put her in a bad mood or something.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 8:40 PM

Read their tweets. They are winking at each other (for lack of a better term) about how this is a publicity stunt.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 9:20 PM

My bet is that ms. badu's album is tanking and this is wayne's way of helping her get more attention.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 10:03 PM

YTINASNI.L > Fanta > Welch's

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2012 10:55 PM

The real story is this...

Funkmaster drank all the grape soda in the greenroom, and nicki was forced to drink regular cola and she got indigestion and took her anger out on Rosenberg.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2012 3:47 AM