Posted in music | pictures | tour dates | video on June 13, 2012

photos by David Andrako

Steve Martin

I know what you're thinking. "I love Steve Martin. I wish he'd play with bluegrass group The Steep Canyon Rangers in a Williamsburg loft!" Well, he did and we've got the exclusive, never-before-seen video to prove it, and you can watch it below. BV photographer David Andrako happened to be there too, and you can check out more pictures from the event below too. You might spot members of indie type bands in the crowd too.

Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers are heading out on tour next week and all tour dates are listed below (no NYC dates, though they did recently play Staten Island.)  They're supporting their most recent album, Rare Bird Alert, which came out last year on Rounder Records, a title that tied in nicely with Martin's 2011 birdwatching comedy The Big Year.

Video of the loft performance, photos and a list of all tour dates are below...

Steve Martin and The Steep Canyon Rangers - 2012 Tour Dates
August 23 San Diego, CA Humphreys
August 26 Saratoga, CA The Mountain Winery
August 29 Livermore, CA Wente Vineyards
August 30 Modesto, CA Gallo Center for the Arts
August 31 Palm Desert, CA McCallum Theatre For the Performing Arts
September 1 Los Angeles, CA Pantages Theatre

More trash that has nothing to do with YTIN.ASNIL

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 12:08 PM

THIS IS WHY THEY HATE US

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 12:11 PM

Such a TALENT. Take note Dubsteppers

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 12:12 PM

Hate to be cynical, but I somehow doubt any of those kids are there for the music.

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 12:14 PM

Wow, what a surprise. White people in a loft in Brooklyn.

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 12:24 PM

Oh shit! Guys... we found it. Steve Martin and one of the Dirty Projectors. We've officially located the least fun place on earth!

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 12:24 PM

12:24- not necessarily true. I think one of them bitches is half Asian. At least it seems so in the picture.

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 12:35 PM

One full Asian and two half Asians.

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 12:36 PM

will he and the bacon brothers form a supergroup?

Posted by anonymous | June 13, 2012 12:38 PM

holy crap, that's my old loft

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 12:41 PM

@12:38,

Planes, Trains & Banjos

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 12:42 PM

Banjo music = soundtrack for an ass whoopin'
Steve Martin playing banjo music = interesting as filler in between jokes

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 12:42 PM

Where the original Rubulad was held (basement)

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 12:53 PM

What a jerk he is.

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 12:53 PM

THIS MAN HATES CANS

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 1:11 PM

you forgot a tour stop....please, please come to atlanta! we love the sound of banjos in georgia....especially by the chattahoochee river!

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 1:20 PM

^shoot the hooch!

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 1:22 PM

I bet Steve Martin jizzed in a fine lady's ear or something.

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 1:39 PM

I don't know if eyebrow girl is in an indie-type band, but I'd download her album, if you know what I mean.

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 1:53 PM

The Big Year is an amazing movie. Saw it on a plane and actually sat through the whole thing. How could such a horrible idea ever get funded?

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 1:59 PM

1:53 please explain

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 2:03 PM

@1:53, I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 2:05 PM

Drinkin' outta cups

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 3:01 PM

Told everyone this is what I want to do when I grow up, they responded "You sure have lofty aspirations!"

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 3:15 PM

what an organic fun time not

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 3:23 PM

What a clean, nice looking group of people!

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2012 7:34 PM

Steve Martin is the best.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2012 1:25 AM

Wow! That was awesome! But that wasn't the same band on GMA I saw a while back, anyways, I'll be looking forward to check you folks out. Thanks for the concert dates! I love this song!! Thank you SCR!!!

Posted by Legion | June 14, 2012 9:18 PM

Some of you TWITs just dont get it!, listen to the music and stop trying to Promote your silly school bully attitude!.Steve, only one problem with the band is theres no Dobro Player because im still sitting here waiting to play!,. OK thats my Self Promo done!,.ted.

Posted by ted | June 16, 2012 9:30 AM

Most of the other commenters here are a bunch of self-important, cynical douchebags. Steve Martin is a fantastic talent and I wish he'd bring his band to the Atlanta area.

Thanks for the post. Enjoyed the performance! Come to ATL, Steve!

Posted by jmb | June 16, 2012 11:26 AM

As a pre-teen, cheech and Chong and the "wild and crazy guy" album was as good as it got for me- Steve Martin is still a multi-talented guy who is just as good a musician as he is a comedian/actor- he's entitled in my opinion, to use his iPad for a set list and then make jokes about it. The band is so sincere and talented- which sets them apart from the rest of the poseurs in the room and the whole pretentious scene. What a buzz kill, now if there had been a hipster ass whoopin during the show I would have paid the price of admission

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2012 3:49 PM

The audience were very young n mostly female and most likely Steve Martin fans of the quite successful "Father of the Bride+parent hood+cheaper by doz+pink panther Films " etc, my daughter is going on 15 and her n her friends are big fans since i showed them the Jerk!,probably recruited from local schools n collages by sending fliers to them asking for fans, and im sure that nobody paid to get in to the loft!.ted.

Posted by ted | June 17, 2012 8:44 AM

Great show. If u haven't seen it u should keep your mouth shut. These guys are off the charts talented. Go see if u can.

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2012 6:34 PM

off the charts talented? are they? I doubt it, but even so, does it really matter if it sounds like shit?

and really? to the guy who said he likes them because they're so talented and sincere: first of all notice how all the positive comments don't say, "OH MAN, this sounds amazing, so good, great music" they say, "talented" because that's all you can say positive about music that sounds like shit. I'm still not convinced he's talented either, but I'm not totally familiar with what constitutes banjo skill, as I'm pretty sure no one else who said he was talented is. Then the lyrics, they're embarrassing (though this is based on the SNL skit I saw from 2008, I was too embarrassed from that event to even consider clicking play this time.)

steve martin is clearly just trying to prove that despite his mediocrity in everything, that he can still do anything and get praise for it.

And this whole banjo thing is bizarre and awkwardly in between entertainment and humor, not leaning too far to either side so as to evoke uncomfortable feelings of pity. I remember the song he played on SNL in 2008, it freaked me out how weirdly sad it was. The lyrics seemed like a 7 year old was trying to write a comedic song about being late to school. So because it wasn't funny, and he's not skilled enough to be known for his musical talent it just ends up seeming desperate and sad and like an old man who hasn't yet realized he's old/out of touch/pathetic.

I still can't figure out how people still like actors like Dana Carvey, Mike Meyers, Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy (to a lesser degree.) At least when Eddie Murphy was funny he was actually fucking hilarious, Raw was amazing, and sure he sold out but his old stand up was so good I can ignore that. Dana, Mike and Steve on the other hand sold out and they were never funny to begin with. Seriously, don't believe me? Watch those old skits and see if you laugh out loud once. You won't, it only creates the thought of, "hmm, that's pretty amusing" in your head.

I don't even care that this topic is 4 months old, I found this thread by googling, "Steve Martin banjo horrible" to make sure I wasn't crazy and that everyone knew his band was a depressing joke, but it seems it's only me and 2 other people. Unfortunate, it seems everyone has poor taste in humor.

Posted by cornelius talmaj | November 1, 2012 5:33 AM