Posted in music on June 21, 2012

Beach Boys

As we mentioned yesterday, June 20 was Brian Wilson's 70th birthday. Happy birthday again Brian! The band celebrated backstage at a show in Montreal as you can see in the picture above (a bigger shot of the cake is below).

How does Wilson feel about turning 70?

"Are you kidding?" he tells Rolling Stone. "I feel great! I don't think I look or act 70. I feel more like I'm in my mid-forties."

Wilson celebrated with a party backstage during a tour stop at Montreal's Bell Centre, where he was gifted with a cake resembling the album cover to the Beach Boys' new LP, That's Why God Made The Radio. As the audience broke into "Happy Birthday," balloons sent by Wilson's wife surrounded him onstage. Earlier that day, Wilson received a call from his old buddy Paul McCartney, who celebrated his own 70th birthday two days earlier. "[Paul] said, 'Happy birthday, friend!" Wilson says. "I said, 'Happy birthday to you, Paul.' He told me he was headed into Abbey Road. I told him we were on our way to Montreal. I think he said something like, 'Can you believe we made it this far?' It was very pleasant and sweet.'

The Beach Boys are now on tour and will be hitting PNC Bank Arts Center and Jones Beach soon. Watch video of them playing Good Morning America in Central Park last week (did you go?), and more, below...

Beach Boys

and from 1980:

and at Bonnaroo:

How come no one invited Manson?

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2012 3:58 PM

new record is better than it has any right to be

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2012 4:12 PM

These shows have been incredible - One withstanding thought though. Mike Love is a complete ass.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2012 7:04 PM

The beach boys are why i have made music both my profession and obsession. I just got into grad school for voice and spent all I've got to meet them in phoenix. I have tried to send Brian letters but all return to sender than you guys for helping shape who i have become."spreading the love and sunshine to a whole new generation."AMEN to .

Posted by rodrigo cortes | June 22, 2012 11:23 PM

Hi,Guys
My Birthday Is Coming In August 10th Going To
Turn Twenty-Eight This Years.Please Bring John Stamos And Jeffery Too!!Happy,Happy,Happy,Dear Bruce Happy,Happy,Happy To You Birthday Boy Happy 61 Birthday.Do Not Bring David My Peaty Oh Yes I Can I Am In love With Bruce I Miss Bruce So Much I Have To Do This My Job,My Rule,My Way Do Not Speack To Me That Way Yes I Can.My New Favorite Songs Is Disney Girls,Beaches
In Mind,Isn't It Time,Shelter!!I Have To Say;
Thank You So Much First Meet All Four You And Guys.
Good luck

Posted by Amnada Miller/Johnston | June 25, 2012 11:59 PM

A good insight and ideas.. I will use it in my article. You’ve obviously spent a lot of time on this. Congratulations!

Posted by miniclip | August 31, 2012 6:54 AM

I love the beach boys.

Posted by jordon | July 28, 2013 4:53 PM

That's so cool! They have alot of history together and I think we can all think of one of their songs that left an impression on us when we were young.

Posted by andrei | November 20, 2014 7:01 AM