Posted in music on June 22, 2012

pirate

If you're like me, you've already been sent this article at least ten times, but did you read the whole thing yet? Or the 546 (as of this posting) comments?

Oh, and check out what Travis Morrison has to say about that.

That dumbass intern represents what is wrong with the "me-me-me" generation nowadays.

Go occupy a job.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2012 5:15 PM

I tried to post a bunch of great insights and rebuttals to the Lowery article but the site's spam filter nuked it. Amazing what gets through but some helpful reading is flagged as "spam."

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2012 5:22 PM

The summary of that girl Emily's blog post is "the old model of selling music has changed, it needs to adapt to a more Spotify-type model to continue to function financially" is completely true.

I don't think she's saying she "shouldn't" pay for music, she's stating that she just never had to because its so easy NOT to.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2012 6:56 PM

As usual, Lefsetz is the best viewpoint on this exchange.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2012 7:10 PM

^ nailed it.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2012 7:30 PM

The whole debate is sort of tiresome because regardless of how you think consumers "should" behave they will consistently opt for the lowest hassle, least burdensome option. There is no sustainable business model on earth based on guilt and good will.

It's like museums with "suggested donations." They still require foundations and funding to stay afloat. That Radiohead shit only worked once.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2012 8:21 PM

No, the summary of that girl Emily's blog post is "bands should, like, get paid and stuff, but, like, as long as the moneys not coming from me."

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2012 9:13 PM

"The problem is the artists, not the corporations or people exploiting them." - Lefsetz

Wow. Where did you dig up the borderline-retarded capitalist moron?

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2012 9:18 PM

Everyone's making good points!

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2012 9:22 PM

Great but to slog through all this, where can I subscribe for $20 a month so that people can get paid and I can hear and save the stuff that matters?

Posted by shane | June 22, 2012 10:16 PM

the musicians chose to work with labels that made it difficult for consumers to purchase the music (zero promotion of anything that doesn't suck, long box, nonexistent retail distribution, unbelievably stupid and incompetent record store employees) so they chose to become losers by proxy. when you hire martin zimmerman as your security guard, don't be surprised when he shoots your customer to death. Then any success you enjoyed is used to bail out his mistake, leaving you with nothing.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2012 11:07 PM

"We’re in the midst of a wrenching transition," says Lefsetz - that's what these idiots have been saying for 15 years. It's as if they're waiting for some big solution to avail itself - only it never does.

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | June 23, 2012 12:28 AM

i Agree in least burdensome option.Thank you!

Posted by Acompanhantes | June 23, 2012 7:21 AM

I've read all the post, most of the comments on Lowery site (I had a response published) and all the comments that Bob Lefsetz had in his news letter. We are a mean bunch to our artists. Hardly anyone feels sorry for the musicians who struggle, as long as they can brag about the 11,000 songs that they have on their drives, all for free.

Yesterday, I busted a teen trying to steal an Evanescence and a Skrillex CD from my store. I do call the cops and even though I didn't press charges, (I banned the kid), when his mother came to get him, my life almost turned to hell as we had to spend about two hours of verbal attacks because the thief's mother refused to believe he would steal because he had money on him. The video proof was not enough, nor was my own observation, with 15 years of experience of catching music thieves.

In other words, stealing is stealing.

Posted by marion | June 23, 2012 8:19 AM

As David lowery once said " I hate my generation"!

Posted by Anonymous | June 23, 2012 8:59 AM

^ Yeah!

Posted by Anonymous | June 23, 2012 9:31 AM

The future, you ask?

No more recorded music from our beloved musicians.

Why waste time on that obsolete antiquated recording process?

"We play at least three times a week. You want a record? You've got a cell phone, right?"

"Start recording".

Posted by Anonymous | June 23, 2012 9:45 AM

i was too busy downloading music and listening to the music. Then,learning about where those artists i downloaded were playing at in the near future so i could buy their physical album from them in person, than to read either of the articles.

Posted by Anonymous | June 23, 2012 10:50 AM

The only time Travis Morrison should ever be mentioned is when he gets beat up.

Posted by Anonymous | June 23, 2012 11:51 AM

We're not in the midst of a wrenching transition, the transition has already occurred and the only "wrenching" we keep hearing about is the bloated fat piggy music industry insiders caught between selling their 5th summer homes (to cover taxes) and their collective whining about how it's not like the old days when they could just attribute writer's credit to themselves when recording timeless music by brilliant artists.

Posted by Anonymous | June 23, 2012 1:05 PM

LOL music industry white people

Posted by Anonymous | June 23, 2012 1:06 PM

Lol grape soda drinking rappers.

Posted by Anonymous | June 23, 2012 2:12 PM

LOL 2nd generation iPod, as antiquated as the traditional music-industry model (fitting)

Posted by Anonymous | June 23, 2012 4:59 PM

Enough with this one-percenter bullshit, music should be free. Food should be free. Housing should be free. Anthropology degrees should be free. Viva anarchy!

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2012 1:10 AM