Posted in music on July 30, 2012

"The guy behind us decided it was a good idea, after security made his friend leave, to mace the girls behind him. At a Fiona Apple concert." - Garrett Greer

"Drunken beat down,pepper spray,cops¶medics. Who knew Fiona Apple brought that crowd? Ive seen Metal shows with less action#OnlyInOakland" - KQN

Fiona Apple

A bit of excitement at a Fiona Apple concert in Oakland over the weekend. One reader writes in:

i attended Fiona Apple at the Fox hours ago.
halfway through fionas set, we hear fans fighting in the balcony.
we see people running and hear people screaming and people running out to balcony smoking patio.
People start coughing and eventually it lingers to our area. we found out that
a fan got upset because people were being loud and talking during her
set. someone punches the guy and another person then starts pepper
spraying the person. well its in a tiny theather, in about 2 minutes
the whole left mezzanine area cleared out.
kinda crazy, the show didnt even stop.
Fiona played the Fox Theater in Oakland, California on Saturday night, and ended that leg of her tour one night later, last night, 7/29, at the Hollywood Palladium. She hits the road again in September.

The setlists from the Oakland and LA shows (same setlist both nights), and a video from the Oakland show (no pepper spray in it though), below...

Fiona Apple- Sleep To Dream (Fox Theater, Oakland, CA) 7-28-2012

Fiona Apple - The Fox Theater, Oakland, CA - 7/28 setlist
Fast As You Can
On the Bound
Shadowboxer
Paper Bag
Anything We Want (False starts on lyrics)
Get Gone
Sleep to Dream
Extraordinary Machine
Werewolf
Tymps (The Sick in the Head Song)
Daredevil
I Know
Every Single Night
Criminal
Carrion
Not About Love
It's Only Make Believe (Conway Twitty cover)

Fiona Apple - Hollywood Palladium, Hollywood, CA - 7/29 setlist
Fast As You Can
On the Bound
Shadowboxer
Paper Bag
Anything We Want
Get Gone
Sleep To Dream
Extraordinary Machine
Werewolf
Tymps (The Sick in the Head Song)
Daredevil
I Know
Every Single Night
Criminal
Carrion
Not About Love
It's Only Make Believe (Conway Twitty cover)

above photo by cmcook

Some idiot sprayed it in the air at a show I went to years ago. Not very pleasant.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 11:14 AM

A Festivus Miracle!

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 11:15 AM

couldn't you just say - same set list both nights, here it is?

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 11:17 AM

hopefully Fiona got some of the pepper. it would be the most calories she has had in months.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 11:17 AM

It's Oakland - what do you expect? They are crazy fucks with a ginormous sense of entitlement out there. The clown will no doubt be suing the club for a laundry list of "offenses" such as having to leave his half-full beer behind when he got ejected for this. Is there really any question why the state is in bankruptcy, really?

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 11:18 AM

If I lived in Oakland, I don't think I'd ever leave my house

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 11:24 AM

Kreayshawn is from Oakland. 'Nuff said.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 11:27 AM

I was at the Fiona Apple show in Danbury,CT, (yes, i know) and a fight almost broke our behind us too!

Posted by gia | July 30, 2012 11:27 AM

I once knifed a dude at a Katy Perry show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 11:29 AM

The new music criticism.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 11:30 AM

At the Governor's Ball set there was crankiness too. It is inevitable when all those sensitive girls singing along are told to shut the fuck up.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 11:34 AM

STREET JUSTICE

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 11:35 AM

so who got punched and pepper sprayed? the person talking or the person complaining about the talking?

i mean, i'm pretty happy either way... i'm not sure who i dislike more at shows? the people that talk loudly over the music or the self-righteous ninnies that shush them? but i do know that i'm pretty happy that one of them got punched and pepper sprayed.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 11:40 AM

1140 i completely agree. i know lots of yuppies will be talking during sigur ros tomorrow so you know what's going to happen!

ps seriously though tomorrow night, you hipsters better shut the fuck up when they're playing. seeing sigur ros i gaer last night was fuckin epic!

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 11:52 AM

I'm really confused. According to the great BV commenter Mr. Anti-Sausage, this should only happen at concerts with band names such as "The Pepper Sprayers."

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 11:53 AM

^Buckeye Shrimper in da house!

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 12:03 PM

^ according to the great BV commenter Buckeye Shrimper they all should have choked on their scarves so they would be dead by the time any pepper spray would be used. Then again, Buckeye Shrimper uses straws in rather bizarre and unhealthy ways so no one cares what he says anyway.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 12:05 PM

so basically 11:40 is telling us he hates people who talk during shows as much as anyone else but doesn't actually have the balls to do anything about it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 12:07 PM

12:03/5 - I'm not the Buckeye Shrimper. Just a random Mr. Anti-Sausage hater. You could nickname me 'shithead' or something.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 12:12 PM

^Stay out of Williamsburg!

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 12:17 PM

you're all buckeye shrimper as far as im concerned. you too fiona

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 12:19 PM

12:12 - you are talking to 2 different people. and by the way, since you are no doubt one of the sausages that bitches about people posting on metal threads that don't like metal, I kind of doubt that you are a big Fiona fan yourself - which makes you kind of a douche troll hypocrite by posting here, amirite

12:19 - couldn't agree more.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 12:24 PM

UP THE PUNX

Posted by ;( | July 30, 2012 12:35 PM

Oakland is to San Francisco as Brooklyn is to Manhattan. You people saying it's scary have clearly never been there. I used to live there several years ago and it's hella gentrified now.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 12:37 PM

UP THE YUPS

Stay out of Williamsburg!

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 12:39 PM

Last fall I saw the cure and had a close up seat and could not enjoy the show because the girl behind me kept singing along to robert in a voice 10x louder than Robert her voice was horrible and she would not stop.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 1:06 PM

I bring thumb tacks to shows...if you run your mouth too much you get a quick jab....keep yacking and i break the shit off in your side...SHUT THE FUCK UP DURING BANDS!!! there are other places to bullshit in venues...

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 1:11 PM

Hi Mr. Amirite. I was addressing both of 12:03 and 12:05 (not thinking they were one person) and I do like Fiona Apple... and I hate Mr. Anti-Sausage, and sometimes you.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 1:12 PM

It was Harley! I know it! He also stabbed that guy at the Tenacious D show too. And he was behind the Aurora shooting too all along!

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 1:13 PM

Last fall I saw the cure and had a close up seat and totally enjoyed the show because the girl in front of me kept singing along to robert in a voice 10x louder than Robert her voice was amazing and she would not stop.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 1:15 PM

1:12 is Buckeye Shrimper. I don't buy his lies.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 1:17 PM

^ nope. I'd tell you who I really was but you REALLY wouldn't believe me.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 1:19 PM

I talk at shows all the time, it's a social event. That's the risk of going to a live concert. If somebody asks me to be quiet I either move or lower my voice, but I generally stay in the back anyway. Sometimes I speak louder than I realize bc of my earplugs, but I try not to.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 2:05 PM

^ You are not a good person. I'm not going to use foul language. I honestly want you to know that you are not a good person. Please do some self-examination.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 2:13 PM

he tried to pepper spray her small tiddies hoping they would get bigger

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 3:17 PM

1:19 has an enormous view of himself

BOH-RING

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 3:26 PM

...or maybe I have a DeserveDly Detrimental view of everyone else.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 3:46 PM

If you've ever been to Oakland you'd know it's not very scary.

The douche with the pepper spray was probably visiting from Brooklyn.

Posted by OldBro | July 30, 2012 5:17 PM

^ he so funny! Must be the Buckeye Shrimper.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 5:34 PM

I was sitting in front of the guy who got thrown out during Saturday's concert. We were in the mezzanine (balcony). He was drunk and kept yelling, "Fiona, I love you!" then switched to, "Fiona! Carry On!" about every time she took a breath during a song.

Finally, security came and dragged the guy away. My husband noticed the guy's equally drunk but quieter friend lingering and rummaging through his things, then heading out. Then we heard a scream and a woman was running for the door, but we didn't know what was going on with her .... until we smelled the spray and started coughing. We got up and went for air when it started burning our eyes. We missed a few songs then went back in and most of our neighbors had not budged.

I was not aware of any punching/fighting. The whole half of the balcony was NOT cleared out. The theater was too big for Fiona to have felt any impact and it was probably too loud for her to hear that one scream. The spray was nasty for us for a while, but the incident not nearly as exciting as the quote in the article indicates.

Posted by dlila | July 30, 2012 8:20 PM

Read Garrett Greer's Tublr (linked in the header above) for a better version than mine... he was following events much more closely than I was. I'm "the older woman" sitting next to him :)

Posted by dlila | July 30, 2012 8:31 PM

LULZ @ 12:37 "hella" stay in Ofuckhio you wannabe hipster. Cheer up though - I hear Cheetos are going on sale.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2012 5:36 AM

Ok, so we got this "Mr. Anti-Sausage" and we got this "Buckeye Shrimper" guy (or name-caller or whatever). One of them is going to have to get stabbed in his flabby little side and one is going to have to get pepper sprayed right in his dirty little face.

Win-win for all of us. Harley and JAE, will you guys do the honors?

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2012 11:08 AM

Hey, 5:36. I only used the word "hella" as an inside joke for those who are more familiar with the bay area vernacular, dick. I must admit, I don't really get your Cheetos comment though.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2012 6:37 PM

I was sitting 2 rows behind the whole incident. The girl right in front of me got up to complain about the guy in front of her because he spilled his drink all over her dancing and getting into the concert and he didn't even notice. Then her boyfriend got all tough and kinda punched/threatened the guy. His friend stood up and called the cops. And the guy who spilled the drink pepper sprayed everyone as he was asked to leave. It was all a stupid misunderstanding and everyone involved totally overreacted. We got way better seats when we left our area though, so we were kinda stoked.

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2012 6:36 PM

how come this shows up in the brooklynvegan and nothing else...nothing local to oakland or otherwise. sprayinh pepper spray in a main stream venue full of people is kind of a big deal.

Posted by angel8 | August 6, 2012 10:42 PM

Hi there, You have done a great job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m sure they will be benefited from this web site.

Posted by jocuri | August 30, 2012 9:40 AM

Posted by Faxback Service 800 | January 10, 2013 2:05 PM

awesome threads. truly great music

Posted by vue 8 residence | September 26, 2013 11:39 PM

great post. this is the information i been look for too.

Posted by inflora | October 5, 2013 7:44 AM

this is one of the best articles on this website. definitely excellent information and hope to read more. awesome. this is the information i have been searching

Posted by sea horizon | November 5, 2013 9:21 AM