Posted in industry | music on July 5, 2012

ATP

Trouble in paradise for one of the most creative festival series out there...

[All Tomorrow's Parties founder Barry] Hogan admitted last year that ticket sales for the early-summer ATP events had declined in recent years, when he announced that moving forward his company would focus on its December holiday camp events, the city-based I'll Be Your Mirror mini-festivals and more conventional tours. More recently he announced that ATP would be working with Pontins again on its holiday camp events, ending a six year partnership with Butlins, which with hindsight was likely due to the festival company tackling financial problems.

Hogan incorporated a new company at the end of May, called Willwal Ltd, and it is now listed as promoter of future ATP events, meaning that up coming tours and festivals being advertised by the firm will still go ahead. On Twitter last night, Team ATP wrote: "To address the rumours some of you may have seen; there are some changes currently happening with the company, but none of the currently scheduled events or future events will be affected".-[Unlimited CMU]

For those of you who speak legal-ese, you can check out details on their reorganization here.

ATP I'll Be Your Mirror takes place in Asbury Park, NJ from September 21 - 23 and features Afghan Whigs, Make-Up, Mark Lanegan, Dirty Three, Hot Snakes, Antlers, The Roots, and recent addition I Break Horses (but not Death Grips) and will continue as planned. No word on thus far unannounced events, but may well throw a wrench into things. A statement is due from the festival soon, pushed back from earlier today.

Love you ATP! Keep it going:)

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2012 1:32 PM

I was hoping to go again this year, since I had so much fun last year, but this years lineup is so weak!

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2012 2:04 PM

ATP gets worse every year.

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2012 2:05 PM

wack ass crap

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2012 2:08 PM

205pm b/c so many of you hipsters won't buy tickets to atp and instead buy everything pitchfork tells you to....

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2012 2:09 PM

Nah dude, this year's lineup is just weak. I bet they end up cancelling. Why no Friday lineup? Why haven't they put any rooms at the berkeley up for sale? Something is fishy. But no really, afghan whigs as a festival headliner? Portishead I get, but honestly, how many tickets do they expect to sell for afghan whigs and godspeed? They could fill t5 for $35, sure, but this?

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2012 2:14 PM

everyone who went to governor's island but wont pay for atp tickets is basically human garbage

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2012 2:14 PM

2:14, the Saturday show featuring Afghan Whigs is sold out.

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2012 2:19 PM

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2012 2:22 PM

It's not just about the headliners. It's about the whole experience

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2012 2:24 PM

finally, validation that these festivals have consistently had crap lineups the past few years.

don't tell me that "so-and-so" was on the bill and that made it worth it. in general, this has been sucking for a good while now. not surprised at all.

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2012 2:28 PM

For a festival like atp to make ends meet they need more than just the serious fans to buy tickets, they absolutely need a big draw: my bloody valentine, portishead, etc. Moving the festival to nj helped, as more casual fans are able to attend for one or more days, but this will be the last time they hold this festival in america, unless they can land a bigger name to sell some tickets.

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2012 2:30 PM

ATP with portishead last year was the best concert/festival I attended in a long time.
I am not really a fan of this years headliners, but I may still go down to check out stuff I don't know since it was such a good time.

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2012 2:34 PM

Asbury is a dump.

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2012 2:47 PM

"Saturday is not sold out, they are holding space for 3-day passes that won't ever sell."

Correct. Cheers to you for shoving it in that idiot 2:19's face. Saturday is not sold out. ATP is never sold out. They save space for the 3 day passes. More single days go on sale closer to the event and you can get them dirt cheap off the usual sites around the days of the event.

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2012 2:56 PM

I would take ATP's line up over any garbage festival that's been going on the past few years.

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2012 2:56 PM

atp always had the worst headlines and mediocre bands to fill list up save a few good ones ie: Flaming LIps, etc.

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2012 3:12 PM

ATP Asbury lineup is pretty stellar for whats been announced so far. Every asshole has a diff opinion about bands. This asshole sez flaming lips kinda blow.

Posted by Blag the destroyer | July 5, 2012 3:18 PM

Reigning Sound, Dirty Three, Dirtbombs, Hot Snakes = best ATP lineup ever for my tastes. I hope they keep going strong.

Posted by BTH | July 5, 2012 3:29 PM

I had a blast last year...and if this year happens plan to have a blast this year...most fun I have ever had at a festival. Its a music nerds wet dream in reality.

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2012 3:58 PM

Asbury was pretty sweet last year but not as fun as the Kutsher's show. That place really feels like your in a secret commune for a weekend but Asbury is so heavy on police and it just puts a damper on that special community vibe. Asbury did have things that were cool like the bonfires and beach and bowling. Anyway, it sucks that they aren't makin ends meet but I wish it was still at Kutshers

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2012 4:03 PM

Hipsters get mugged in Asbury Park.

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2012 4:19 PM

2:14 (2) hit the nail on the goddamn head.

I REALLY WISH THERE WERE MORE GARBAGE HIPSTER
ACTS I FOUND COMPELLING! AND WHY IS IT INDOORS? I INSIST ON SHOWING OFF MY STRIPED MALE TANK TOP AND TUNEYARDS FACEPAINT.

Fucking idiots.

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2012 4:58 PM

Kutshers was the bomb. Every ATP has sucked since IMHO

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2012 5:06 PM

ATP is the best. Get well soon.

Posted by Anonymous | July 5, 2012 6:57 PM

I love a lot of the undercard so far (Dirtbombs, Scrawl, I Break Horses, Hot Snakes) but I agree Afghan Whigs is a horrid headliner. I was able to convince 2 friends to go last year based on Portishead & Jeff Mangum; I can't find anyone willing to cough up tix + lodging to see the Afghan Whigs. As of right now I'm seeing Godspeed up in Hudson and hoping the above bands I listed play local shows - or that ATP announce amazing Friday & Sunday headliners which seems unlikely...

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2012 12:18 AM

1218am Sunday headliner is Godspeed....

Friday they haven't announced yet.

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2012 8:37 AM

Too many overpriced festivals providing fodder to overpriced bands.

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2012 8:46 AM

2:14 lives in one of three scenarios:
(1) Barry Hogan fucked your girlfriend and you are bitter,
(2) Barry Hogan fucked your mom and made you watch and you are bitter, or
(3) you are just a troll and like to bitch about anything.

Whatever way it is, not gonna miss you in September watching these amazing bands, and an entire day yet to be announced. Watch Tom Waits get announced for Friday.

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2012 8:54 AM

Pretty much every indie band that anyone wanted to see get back together and tour has already done it. ATP has run its course.

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2012 9:17 AM

ATP! i love you! please don't leave me.

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2012 10:06 PM

Kutshers was the bomb. Every ATP has sucked since IMHO

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2012 11:55 PM

haha, ATP was nerd shit from the jump. The only surprising thing is it took the people this long to figure that out.

Posted by Anonymous | July 7, 2012 3:00 AM

I think it's going to happen. Greg Dulli has friends.

Posted by The Fartist | July 12, 2012 12:13 PM

"Nerd shit?" Who uses 'nerd' as an insult? What are you? Fifteen, midwestern & on the football team? Probably...

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2012 8:19 PM

9:17am -- I'm still hoping for a Grifters reunion!

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2012 2:08 PM

Atp is not being honest about debts accrued in Asbury Park last year. They owe nearly 6 figures to one organization in particular.
Don't bother with the 'logistical reasons and not enough accommodations' line of bullshit. Bamboozle (a much bigger festival than atp) went off without a hitch in Asbury back in May.

Posted by john | July 13, 2012 5:14 PM

Well i think the problems do not appear to be a function of macro factors such as the global financial crisis, nor were they an indication of problems in the clean energy sector.

Posted by Jimi | March 14, 2013 6:20 AM