Posted in dance | music | pictures on July 23, 2012

photos by Amanda Hatfield; words by Bill Pearis

Chromatics @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
The Chromatics

Chromatics were in town this past weekend, opening for Hot Chip on Friday (7/20) and playing a headlining show at Music Hall of Williamsburg on Sunday (7/22). I caught their T5 set -- my first time seeing the group -- and they were more engaging than I thought they were going to be, with a live drummer keeping things banging. I like their new album just fine but to this point, though, Chromatics don't so much make music to dance to as music to melancholically bob your head to. Kill for Love's "Lady" and the Survivor-esque "These Streets Will Never Look the Same" came closest to getting the crowd moving. Pictures from the Brooklyn show are in this post.

In related news, Chromatics' "Lady" was the inspiration for a new videogame that's part of the Pitchfork-comissioned Soundplay series and you can play that here.

Chromatics recently played the Pitchfork Festival too (which we have pictures of). More pictures from the MHOW show, a FIXED production (that was originally supposed to happen at Dekalb Market) where the band shared a bill with DJs JDH, Dave P and Paul Raffaele, below.

The Chromatics

Loved the Music Hall show.

Posted by anonymous | July 23, 2012 6:52 PM

Chromatics were amazing at Music Hall. Such a good time.

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2012 7:27 PM

I don't understand how there are no original members in the Chromatics, yet they are called the Chromatics. A-side of their debut LP is gonna be the best thing they do.
If you wanna disco the night away, right on, but change the name.
When did Adam leave the band?
Johnny Jewel should just play under his own name.

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2012 7:50 PM

Eh, OK maybe he's still in the band.

They played my house right before Plaster Hounds came out (but without Max/Ron the best part of the record), and it was sliding into the disco thing, and it kinda stunk.

Also, Drive was a shitty movie.

Yeah!

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2012 7:55 PM

Hey! I see my ear!

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2012 8:31 PM

ZzzzZzzzZzzz

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2012 8:34 PM

You wasted money on that

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2012 9:41 PM

Chromatics. Love you, keep going- fuck the haters.

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2012 9:45 PM

that was a really good show. Ruth's vocal performance was kinda incredible. really out-does the recordings. gripes for the night were JDH and Dave's DJ set. too loud and quick.. I respect those guys and tend to like their sets. but opening for this band would be a perfect time for a laid back DJ set. not sat night peak time tracks. also, that room was tuned down for sound once the band came out. there was low end missing from that room. the sound is usually tuned right for each band coming through. they didn't do much to beef it up for them on this night.

overall, it was a solid performance though.

Posted by Anonymous | July 24, 2012 1:12 AM

Better times would be had with a tab of window pane and a copy of Dark Side Of The Moon.

Posted by Anonymous | July 24, 2012 7:37 AM

Good show. Great record.

Posted by Anonymous | July 24, 2012 8:43 AM

chromatics were good - the DJ set was too fast, too loud, and too LONG. maybe the venue change altered my expectations for the show format, but i felt the DJ set overstayed its welcome and wanted to upstage the band, rather than warm up the crowd.

Posted by Anonymous | July 24, 2012 10:43 AM

Agreed that the DJ set was weak, but remember the show was moved from Dekalb Market, so the bill was intended for late afternoon outdoors and there wasn't an opener. There were some good tunes played, but I think the "club bangers" were lost on most of the Chromatics audience. #1 rule of DJing: know your audience!

Other than that, Chromatics blew my away. I saw a lot of great shows this past week and this was definitely the highlight for me. Way better than their performance at Webster Hall a couple winters ago. Ruth is absolutely gorgeous and has a beautiful voice. Had to pick my jaw up off the floor a few times.

Posted by Anonymous | July 24, 2012 4:26 PM

ha ha to anonymous "adam not in the band". jewel produced the first chromatics record on gsl. including cowriting on "hannah's song" which is a chromatics classic. do your homework, he's been a secret member of the band since 2001. plaster hounds is the only record he didn't work on with them and it blows. also so glad that adam is singing again. caught them in brooklyn on sunday and the mix of ruth and adam is perfect!

Posted by jessica lewis | July 25, 2012 2:06 PM

My roommate does sound here and told me that the chromatics travel with their own sound engineer because their singer lip sings, Wah-Wah!

Posted by Nate V | July 26, 2012 8:13 AM

And he watched sound check and it was obvious to him but the dude drowns the obviosness out with super loud bass

Posted by Nate Vondro | July 26, 2012 8:27 AM

^
yea right nate. your roommate is full of shit. there was def no lip singing at all. anyone who was at the show could attest to that. the vocal performance was literally perfect. and the room sound very trim. so there goes the second part of your theory..

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2012 4:13 PM

"the vocal performance was literally perfect."

you're not really making your case with this.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2012 4:34 PM

hahaa! how would anyone at the show know? listen sound dude, you're obviously doing a good job so settle down

Posted by Nate Hydro | July 26, 2012 9:07 PM

you're not really making your case with this.

Posted by mobawab | July 26, 2012 9:30 PM

The Chromatics Lip Sync Conspiracy!
I think if a singer is going to lip sync (i.e. Chris Brown) they better have some sick dance moves to justify it! otherwise, i'd rather just stay home and stream the album and eat nachos.

Posted by Cheese Lover | July 26, 2012 10:03 PM

Sounds a little sketchy

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2012 10:16 PM

Chromatics,
DON'T GO ON SNL! too risky!!!
Love,
Concerned Fan

Posted by Oh No | July 27, 2012 12:09 AM

stuuupes they suck.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2012 4:06 AM

Terrible at Pitchfork.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2012 6:45 PM

I work on stage at Terminal 5 and Chromatics didn't even have a sound man with them for their show. So I don't know about this Nate V theory.

Posted by Jeff | August 20, 2012 9:06 PM

Johnny or Adam can control the vocal playback from their positions, amirite?

Posted by Anonymous | August 23, 2012 5:00 AM

just saw them at new museum in manhattan a few days ago. i was literally two feet away from ruth. there is no way in hell she was faking it. only 100 people were allowed in the room. too intimate to milli vanilli

Posted by jessica lewis | September 11, 2012 5:18 AM

I love it when hipsters expose their racism. Lucky for yous your behind a computer screen anonymous. Enjoy your privlieges!

Posted by Clever | September 27, 2012 5:53 AM

Very interesting article, I look forward to more research coming out regarding the remaining two thirds

Posted by Youtube | September 28, 2012 4:38 PM

Me to! I post to let people know how cool is this page. I don't know is about the money but is cool! I just wait until the next time!

Posted by Arab Ladies | September 28, 2012 10:32 PM

^ What is your deal?

Posted by Honey is Bad For You | November 30, 2012 3:57 PM

I just love her blue hair.

Posted by jordon | July 26, 2013 3:26 PM

Obviously interesting to read, This post you have made here could not be written any better! Thank you for sharing

Posted by inflora | October 18, 2013 10:38 AM