Posted in music | tour dates on July 29, 2012

Grimes at Pitchfork Fest 2012 (more by Chase Turner)
Grimes

Grimes (aka Claire Boucher), who got her start in a more experimental scene before reaching much wider fanbases this year with her pop-centric Visions, is planning to follow that album with a more experimental project that she plans to release under a different moniker. Here's what she told MTV Hive about the new project:

Have you started on the follow up to Visions yet?

Yeah [but] I'm thinking about making one that is a bit more experimental that I don't put out as Grimes, because I want to stick with this pop aesthetic as Grimes. I've been working on more percussive noise music and also a lot of straight vocal music. I want to make [both] dark percussive shit and vocal ranging and release an album that's halfway between ethereal reggaeton and industrial dance music but is still very pop in its song [structures].

In the wake of Grimes' success, she also continues to collaborate with smaller artists like Blood Diamonds, and more recently with fellow Montreal artist Solar Year for the track "Brotherhood" off their album, Waverly. You can stream that entire album below.

Meanwhile, Grimes will be in NYC TONIGHT (7/29) to DJ at 285 Kent with Pictureplane, Arca, Rezzie, and "special guests" are promised as well. Unfortunately that show is sold out (did you get tickets?) but if you want to try your luck, it looks like some people over at the facebook event have tickets that they're trying to sell. Grimes also has five upcoming live shows in NYC, including a free one at Pier 84 on August 9 with WIld Nothing and DIIV and four sold out paid shows.

A list of updated Grimes tour dates and the Solar Year album stream below...

Solar Year - Waverly Album Stream

10/27 - Bowery Ballroom - New York, NY
10/28 - Music Hall of Williamsburg - Brooklyn, NY !^
*with Wild Nothing and DIIV
*with Skrillex and Diplo
! with Myths
^with Elite Gymnastics

"A bit more experimental" to Grimes means it has a melody and is musically compelling.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 4:42 PM

The only thing you need to know about Grimes is on her Wikipedia page.

"In 2009, Boucher and her then-boyfriend from Tennessee constructed a 20-foot houseboat, named the "Velvet Glove Cast in Iron," with the intention to sail it down the Mississippi River from Minneapolis to New Orleans. The cargo included chickens, a typewriter, 20 pounds of potatoes and a gifted copy of Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Boucher and her companion adopted the names "Varuschka" and "Zelda Xox" for the trip. Due to engine trouble and subsequent harassment from the Minnesota police, the journey was cut short and the houseboat and chickens were impounded. Their diet consisted of mainly potatoes."

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 4:47 PM

^ but now her diet consists mostly of chickpeas.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 4:51 PM

Is she recorded with the iPods -- they have more diversity from track to track!

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 5:07 PM

Am I the only one who does not "get" the iPods joke? Not sure why everyone is laughing at it . . .

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 5:11 PM

Although this is a good start, I would really like to see more media coverage of Grimes on this site and on pitchfork. Talented overlooked artist.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 5:12 PM

Although I have seen versions of it before I actually laughed at that iPods joke on this thread.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 5:14 PM

Is she performed with grape drink? I can see dat?

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 5:21 PM

Some people seem to think it's funny and some don't. I just have seen it at least three times so I don't think it is funny any more. Cute the first time but now it does not really deserve analysis. Just my 2 cents.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 5:21 PM

Elisabeth Kübler-Ross reported that denial is the first stage in grieving, so I can understand some not being able to face the breaking apart of the iPods. But sooner or later kids, you're gonna have to move on to the other stages and accept the facts.

RIP iPods! iPods 4-evah!

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 5:23 PM

Agree with 5:21.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 5:24 PM

What do you mean? Only one person made the "joke."

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 5:26 PM

iPods are gone, son. You need to move on.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 5:28 PM

Those who laugh at the joke -- if you are still on the message board can you explain why you think it's funny? Looking forward to this Grimes project and her upcoming shows.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 5:28 PM

"can you explain why you think it's funny"

It's called LOOOOOKITMEEEEEEE!!! LOOOOOKITMEEEEEEE!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 5:31 PM

Some people clearly think it is funny posting stuff like }LOL -- [Time]" Also some people are laughing, even though they are embarrassed to do so. I get that people like to laugh and there is no need to be overly cynical but I want these people, not the ones seeking attention, to explain it to me. I think it is mildly amusing but definitely not funny enough to post about!

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 5:37 PM

This looks like it might be one of those BV posts where the talk is not primarily about the music. That said, I want to weigh in on the iPods joke. I think it's funny and laughed before, but it's not worth talking about, and not as funny anymore -- this is no less than the third time it has been posted.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 5:40 PM

It's been reported, it's been discussed, it's been corroborated by their management --- THE iPODS HAVE BROKEN UP PEOPLE! YOU DON'T SEE POEPLE STILL POSTING ABOUT LCD DO YOU? NO, BECAUSE THEY BROKEN UP. TIME TO MOVE ON KIDS. TIME TO MOVE ON.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 5:44 PM

"This looks like it might be one of those BV posts where the talk is not primarily about the music"

You do realize how funny that sentence is don't you

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 5:45 PM

New to the site and I have to say I don't get what is going on on this message board AT ALL. Looked up on multiple sites and the iPods are NOT a real band -- there would, for one thing, be many copyright issues. So I don't see how they could have "broken up." I FULLY acknowledge I might be missing something, and lots of people seem to think that the comment in question is funny, but to me this seems like a waste of time and resources -- why not discuss the actual music. Am I missing something?

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 5:47 PM

Really? This is only the second time I've ever seen the iPods joke. It's not my cup of tea, per se, so to speak, but other people seem to find it funny, so I say what's the harm?

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 5:47 PM

I'm not saying that all blacks are obese, but the ones that are ...... DAAAAAMN!

Amirite

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 5:49 PM

Every ipod related comment above was made by the same lonely, sad, bored loser. Pathetic.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 6:11 PM

Whoa, 6:11 -- that is quite an accusation to make with no evidence! Maybe you should be more sure of what you are saying before you toss barbs like that? I know for a FACT that I posted one of the comments -- 5:47 -- and none of the others. Let's keep the bickering off this page, okay?

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 6:20 PM

I too posted only one of the iPod comments above. We may seem like an army of one, but I assure you, we are many.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 6:25 PM

6:11 is strangely silent now.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 6:37 PM

Anyplace I can hear more of her stuff online for free/cheap?

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 6:55 PM

If Grimes really wanted to do something experimental she would team up with the iPods -- they play all genres of music!

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 6:55 PM

Okay. 6:55 actually made me laugh.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 6:57 PM

6:11 was really shown up.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 6:57 PM

6:55 -- you can stream samples at Amazon! Just look for her latest album and scroll down to MP3 samples! You might have to download a player but it's pretty sweet you can hear a little chunk of most songs.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 7:01 PM

TALPA

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 7:03 PM

Nope. I'm still in shock that there is actually more than one person that would waste their time with all these ipod posts. Now I'm going to be silent because I want to stop feeding the trolls.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 7:03 PM

6:11 still hasn't defended his position? No surprise.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 7:04 PM

6:11 did "defend" it but it was not very convincing. The whole iPod thing is stupid but I think by now it is clear that a lot of people are into it. There is no accounting for taste, I suppose. ; )

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 7:11 PM

I cracked a smile at 6:55.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 7:13 PM

This conversation is stupid. What do people think about the music?

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 7:15 PM

Seriously, the only comeback the sad pathetic ipod loser can make is to ask 6:11 to defend his position? Yeah cause of course anyone who says they are not the same guy as the ipod guy has to be telling the truth.

The ipod troll is just a schmuck.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 7:26 PM

It's not just one iPod guy. This has been going on all day. The guy who started it is a lawyer and I highly doubt he writes stupid comments on this site all day.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 7:37 PM

It's a lot of different people. I just wonder why this one comment is so popular.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 7:41 PM

@ 4:47 PM - You just blew my mind. I was living in Minneapolis at the time right next to the Mississippi and remember this very clearly but had no idea it was Grimes. Hilarious!

Posted by Chase Turner | July 29, 2012 7:56 PM

7:37 - Don't necessarily believe that Chicago "Mitchfork" lawyer theory of the origin of the ipod comment. That might be part of the farce as well.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 8:09 PM

Am I the only one who likes that a site that previously was just for trolls has become a thoughtful, generally insightful meditation on the nature of "comedy"? Some recent threads, including Seinfeld and SS Coachella, have been pretty considerate, interesting conversations -- would not be surprised if some of the people weighing in here are comedians that we would recognize from local showcases!

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 8:10 PM

I would not be surprised if Marc Maron still hung around these message boards, even though he publicly stopped doing the Jeremy Lin posting stuff (THANK GOD).

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 8:10 PM

8:09 -- that is the origin, I know for a fact.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 8:14 PM

5:47 -- the iPods are not a real band. It's just an ongoing joke on the site! Welcome to the community.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 8:38 PM

Seconded 5:12.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 8:41 PM

Well put 8:10. I have enjoyed some of these meditations on what is, and is not, "funny." Interesting to see how subjective the responses to this one innocent joke have been! I would not have pegged it to elicit such strong responses, but I guess that is another illustration of how people are affected in different ways by the same joke.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 9:14 PM

enough grimes already

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 9:52 PM

i'm still not sure if grimes is an artist or just an SNL skit that's gotten out of hand.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2012 9:53 PM

That is very kind of you to write this share for us, thanks a lot

Posted by http://www.writedissertation.co.uk/ | July 30, 2012 3:10 AM

Always sounds like a karoke singer that happened to get signed because the record company owner was too drunk to know she's ugly as fuck.

Posted by Sam | July 30, 2012 3:46 AM

just got back from 'talpa. iPods killed it, natch. 'talpa got outta hand quick, and as usual I didn't bring enough extra underwear. I went to 'talpa! To 'talpa!! 'talpa!!!

Posted by 'talpa goer | July 30, 2012 6:31 AM

that was awesome

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2012 9:01 AM

grimes live is a experience like no other.

Posted by jordon | July 25, 2013 4:48 PM

awesome and great music for all music lovers.

Posted by vue 8 residence | September 27, 2013 12:51 AM

great post. this is the information i been look for too.

Posted by inflora | October 5, 2013 7:50 AM

this is one of the best articles on this website. definitely excellent information and hope to read more. awesome. this is the information i have been searching

Posted by sea horizon | November 5, 2013 9:05 AM