Posted in music | tour dates on July 19, 2012

by Andrew Sacher

Lotus Plaza at Mercury Lounge - 7/18/12
Lotus Plaza

"[Lockett Pundt] doesn't need punk anymore," said his Deerhunter bandmate Bradford Cox in an interview with Pitchfork last year. This came across pretty evidently at Mercury Lounge last night (7/18), where Lockett and band played their first of two NYC shows this week for his Lotus Plaza project. While Bradford is off doing punk things like playing "My Sharona" for an hour at shows, Lockett is more interested in the beautiful than the abrasive. He walked on stage in a peace sign t-shirt and without saying much at all went into a set tinged by the narcotic bloom of shoegaze and post rock.

The band favored atmospheric interludes between songs, only coming to actual stops a couple times throughout the set, blurring the ends and beginnings of each song. Within the thick mesh of swirling guitars which mostly relied on mesmerizing the crowd versus encouraging any kind of dancing or singing along, a few standouts from Lotus Plaza's great 2012 LP, Spooky Action at a Distance, did of course occur. "Strangers" (which came really early in the set), "Jet Out of the Tundra," and "Remember Our Days" sparked the most memorable moments, and after barely leaving the stage the band returned for a one-song encore of what was both the biggest moment of the album and the show, "Monoliths."

I got to the show in time for Ape School's solid opening set. They'll be back in NYC for another show on August 21 at Glasslands with Heaven and Arc in Round. Tickets for that show are available.

Meanwhile, Lotus Plaza plays Brooklyn tonight (7/19) at Knitting Factory with tourmates Hollow Stars (who also opened last night's show) and Warm Ghost. Tickets for tonight's show are still available. Updated Lotus Plaza dates are listed below.

Lotus Plaza -- 2012 Tour Dates
07-19 Brooklyn, NY - Knitting Factory* w/ Warm Ghost
07-20 Philadelphia, PA - The Underground Arts*
07-21 Washington, DC - Rock & Roll Hotel*
07-22 Asheville, NC - Emerald Lounge*
07-28 Pygmailion Music Festival Urbana, IL
* - w/ Hollow Stars

Wish they would go on a more widespread tour.

Posted by ConcertBro | July 19, 2012 2:17 PM

"Come Back" was awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2012 6:53 PM

unnecessary flash photography ruins the effects of swirly guitars.

Posted by Anonymous | July 19, 2012 8:08 PM

haha, talking shit about brd4rd, while praising lockett, haha yeah maybe i'll take him seriously when he breaks the 8.5 pitchfork score, without bradford there to pick him up, did you see parallax's score 8.8 nigga, lp probs got best new music cause they didn't want deerhunter to break up cause lockett got all sad

Posted by dogg | July 21, 2012 7:03 PM

dogg7:03 - Can't take your comment seriously. It's indecipherable gibberish. English next time dude...English.

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2012 7:47 PM

Other than the odd spelling of the name Bradford, you have to be pretty incompetent to not comprehend the notion I was attempting to express with my above-mentioned statement. yeah I wouldn't turn in an English essay in that format, but pretty much everything is spelled correctly. I think you're attempts at ridiculing me are ridiculous and futile, for you are taking the gibberish comment too far. And second place, in case your shit for brains couldn't understand the sarcasm I was conveying, yes, I was being sarcastic. I think both these dudes are great in their own respected right.
Next time you're trying to humiliate someone on the web, please be accurate with your statements. Also, I typed this up while waiting for a call, not the best use of my time, but whatta hell? You probably gave up more valuable time to compose your dumbass comment, eat a dick....a dick
faggot
yes I know the bradford's gay and I'm all about equal rights, But I will still use the word faggot to my favor.
faggot

Posted by dogg | July 24, 2012 7:55 PM

Faris_alabdully@hotmail.com

Posted by Youtube | September 28, 2012 5:30 PM

Very interesting article, I look forward to more research coming out regarding the remaining two thirds

Posted by Youtube | September 28, 2012 5:31 PM

I love it when hipsters expose their racism. Lucky for yous your behind a computer screen anonymous. Enjoy your privlieges

Posted by Clever | September 30, 2012 5:25 AM

lotus played a great show.

Posted by jordon | July 26, 2013 3:52 PM

lotus played a great show.

Posted by jordon | July 26, 2013 3:52 PM

love it! very interesting topics, I hope the incoming comments and suggestion are equally positive. Thanks for sharing information that is actually helpful.

Posted by vue 8 | October 20, 2013 10:07 AM