Posted in music | pictures on July 12, 2012

photos by Dana (distortion) Yavin

Buddy Guy bring the blues to the people, 7/11/2012
Hudson Blues Fest 2012

Nothing says the blues like the World Financial Center, in the heart of Battery Park City, with massive VIP pens of suits and their female equivalents...

You don't need me to tell you really how this gig went. What can I tell you about Buddy Guy and John Mayall? These are padres of respective kinds of the blues. This is major historical legendary territory. Who am I to wax any kind of authoritative narrative about these men and what they do? I can tell you a little bit about Quinn Sullivan - 13 years old and plays the blues guitar (and the git in general) like another Kenny Wayne or D. Trucks. We can say we saw him when...I hope. Oh I can tell you one thing about Mr. Guy, who I think is still soloing on "Hootchie Cootchie Man" as I write this the next day (I am making that up): he had to sass the crowd for not even being with it to shout "son of a gun" during this top 5 blues classic. "I played India 3 weeks ago," he said, "and they didn't fuck it up as bad as you", he told the crowd. -[Sonic Parthenon]

Buddy Guy would eventually jam with the 13-year-old prodigy to end an evening of blues at World Financial Center last night (7/11), the first of the two-night Lowdown Hudson Blues Festival. Pictures of Buddy Guy, John Mayall, and Quinn Sullivan are are in this post.

As mentioned, the free festival continues tonight (7/12) with appearances from Neko Case, Charles Bradley and the Extraordinaires and He's My Brother, She's My Sister.

More pictures of night one, below...

John Mayall

Quinn Sullivan

Buddy Guy

Buddy Guy & Quinn Sullivan

Hudson Blues Fest 2012

buddy uses that "fuck it up as bad as you" line alot- and why shouldn't he? it's hilarious

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2012 4:22 PM

Man, those vip cages were holding some of the more disgusting crowd you'd ever see at a live show.
But outside the cages, the battery park city strollers pushers crowd wasn't something to lick your fingers from either... Brookfield properties, the enemy of occupy wall street, are bringing the black-man-blues to their white cubicle-slaves and to that oh-so-not-new-york made-up neighborhood.

Posted by ME | July 12, 2012 4:22 PM

Buddy actually killed it. Not the greatest crowd but was still an awesome free show. And if I remember correctly Brookfield owns Zuccati Park and never actually kicked anyone out, that was Bloombergs call. Brookfield actually let OWS stay on their property for a long ass time, much longer than you'd let an uninvited guest stay over.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2012 4:45 PM

This picture is priceless...

Good show from Buddy Guy, and that kid can shred, but I still can't stand when guys like Buddy turn over the spotlight to other musicians like that during their own sets. The kid just played a full set of his own, we really didn't need him out there for the last 5 or so songs of Buddy's set taking the lead. 1 or 2 songs fine, but it wound up being too much IMHO.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2012 5:03 PM

i was there and it was hands down one of the best shows in recent memory - free or not - but yeah, the security goons sucked so much I called and spoke to the Brookfield event organizer this morning about how they should treat people in wheelchairs and you know, give them a sightline. she was HUGELY apologetic and wanted to make it up to me if I was coming tonight (I'm not).

the VIP area was full of empty seats until Buddy came on and there was more than enough room in there to put the few cripples I saw beside me.

that said, Mr. Guy at 76 shames men half his age on stage and Mayall was beyond expectation. as for young Quinn, he hasn't quite found a comfortable spot for his blues voice, but goddamn, that kid on guitar almost made me fucking weep.

Posted by jt | July 12, 2012 5:04 PM

^My uninvited guest is YOUR FUCKING FACE!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2012 5:04 PM

Yep definitely one of the best shows I've seen in awhile. 13 yr old kid can play and Buddy was loving him. I couldn't really hear what Buddy was saying (since I was towards the back) but did he compare this kid to Jimi Hendrix? Anyone hear that part?

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2012 5:23 PM

Buddy has been touring with this kid on and off for over a year now. He's good, but he always brings him out and it's always for too long.

Buddy uses that joke at literally every show, but I cant really hold it against him. He's the best. I'm surprised Jack White hasnt sunken his filthy claws into him yet to get a "revival" going.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2012 5:33 PM

The kid could play, but he don't have the blues. Maybe he will be on heroin at 19 and get more grit. Not quite the best show of the season.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2012 11:40 PM

Jack White can't "resurrect" this career like another one of his Tarantino-style gimmicks because Buddy Guy ain't never gone away, fool!

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2012 12:21 AM

I know he hasnt gone away, you moron. I've seen him a bunch of times. He's my favorite musician. That doesnt take away from the fact that Jack White would attempt to do something that stupid anyway.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2012 8:12 AM

The wasn't the most homogeneous crowd he's ever played for. I saw him play an outdoor festival show in Greenwich ct. Nothing will beat that I promise you.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2012 8:31 AM

great music overall.

Posted by jordon | July 26, 2013 8:14 PM

truly remarkable for fans.

Posted by vue 8 | October 25, 2013 11:52 AM