Posted in hiphop | music | tour dates on August 28, 2012

Gary Clark Jr. at Coachella 2012 (more by David Andrako)
Gary Clark Jr

As mentioned, Philly's Made In America Festival goes down this weekend (9/1 - 9/2) on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. Since we last spoke, the lineup was expanded and now includes Drake (who was rumored but not on the initial lineup announcement), Jill Scott, Chris Cornell, The Hives, and Run DMC, who are all playing the second day (9/2), in addition to blues guitarist Gary Clark Jr., who will be on the only performer on the bill playing both days, and others. Day 1 (9/1) will be headlined by festival head Jay-Z, and also includes Skrillex, Passion Pit, D'Angelo, Dirty Projectors, Janelle Monae, and others, and day 2 (9/2) will be headlined by Pearl Jam and also includes Odd Future, X, Santigold, and others. Tickets for the festival are still available.

If you're going to the fest, Philly is only about a two hour drive from NYC and this FAQ should help you find your way over (for directions use the address of Ben Franklin Parkway at Eakins Oval in Philadelphia or the Philadelphia Museum of Art). Once you're there, that FAQ will also help you find your way around, parking tips, and more. There will be a free filtered water service at the festival site, but you can't bring glowsticks (sorry Skrillex fans).

A #MadeInAmerica video for Gary Clark Jr. and the lineup for the festival are below.

Gary Clark Jr. Is #MadeInAmerica

Made In America Festival 2012 Lineup
Saturday 9/1
Jay-Z
Skrillex
Miike Snow
Calvin Harris
Maybach Music Group (feat. RIck Ross, Wale & Meek Mill)
Passion Pit

Santigold
DJ Shadow (DJ set)
Betatraxx
Rita Ora
Burns
The Knocks

R.I.P. to all softbody dudes who are going to this. Philly goons gonna be on the prowl. Don't end up a victim.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 10:01 AM

I am scared of black people.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 10:02 AM

Eh, whatever, I'll be fine and can stand my own against the Philly goons. I'm 6'1, 175 lbs. Anyways, my line up is:

SAT: Miike Snow, Passion Pit, Dirty Projectors, that Janelle girl

SUN: Pearl Jam, Chris Cornell, RUN DMC, The Hives, Santigold

Any other suggestions for who I should check out?

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 10:03 AM

Uh people please get it right! It's NOT Jay Z's Made in America Festival nor is it Philadelphia's Made in America Festival it's friggin BUDWEISER's (made in Holland!) Made in America Festival and it's pretty pathetic!!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 10:07 AM

anon@10.30: also check out gary clark jr if possible

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 10:12 AM

That's pretty much my line up for Sunday 10:03 (not going on Sat.), plus X (if they don't conflict much with others), and Odd Future (ditto). Not sure if I should do Run DMC or Rita Ora though, and also not sure about Jill Scott. It's a surprisingly packed day, although fortunately they scheduled Drake at a perfect time for my dinner break.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 10:22 AM

I live in Philly and 15 mins away from this concert but i'm running away to NYC for the weekend. F this shit.

Posted by AnonHUMMUS | August 28, 2012 10:26 AM

Have they announced a schedule for either day yet? I haven't seen one and I needs to know so I can plan my hoagie run to Gino's.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 10:35 AM

There's a free mobile app that has the schedule for both days.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 10:44 AM

@10:35 "so I can plan my hoagie run to Gino's."

...you don't get a hoagie at Gino's.

If you're gonna front like you know Philly, get it right. you really are gonna get beat up.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 10:46 AM

Can anybody recommend a good spot to get hummus down there?

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 10:48 AM

6'1", 175 lbs be tall and skinny, be careful or you might snap, ima feed you summa my food make u fill out be healthylike

Posted by Mama Philly | August 28, 2012 10:54 AM

Posted by AnonHUMMUS | August 28, 2012 11:02 AM

Tickets not selling,so maybe it won't be so packed, but for $75 it is worth it for Sunday.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 11:03 AM

lol @ everyone talking about people getting beaten up by philly goons. get a life, you sheltered idiots.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 11:17 AM

^ Yeah, take them lightly if you want, but I went to the Meek Mill show Saturday night at the TLA and got robbed 4 times on South Street. Don't get caught slippin.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 11:29 AM

Fuck Philly. And I thought Boston was a dump.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 11:35 AM

I live a 5 minute walk from the concert site and overall annoyed at how crap this lineup is. Regardless, I 'm I'll walk down to check it out beyond the gates.

Anyhow, just wanted to list a few places within walking distance to hit up fo rthose attednign from out of town.

All on Fairmount Ave :
Bishop's Collar (bar)
RyBread (coffee/ sandwiches)
London Grill (restaurant/ bar)
Little Pete's (diner)
Luigi's (pizza; margherita is best there)
Mugshots (coffee/ food)
Philly Flavors (ice cream/ water ice)

Also close by:
Rembrandt's (restaurant/ bar; right off of Fairmount)
North Star Bar ($.50 wings, 1/2 price mussels and 1/2 beer for happy hour; every day 5-7pm; 27th & Poplar)
St. Stephen's Green (bar/ restaurant)
Mama's Vegetarian (great hummus/ falafel spot)
Kite N' Key (bar/ restaurant)

Have fun; don't be a dick!

Posted by 215'er | August 28, 2012 11:51 AM

"Eh, whatever, I'll be fine and can stand my own against the Philly goons. I'm 6'1, 175 lbs."

LOL

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 12:33 PM

Hey 11:51... Thanks for the tips!
I'm def gonna go check out that Mama's place!

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 12:51 PM

As a New Yorker, I must admit that I really do enjoy an occasional trip to Philly. The scene is kinda refreshing and I always have a good time there, but I must admit that it feels way more sketchy then NyC.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 1:29 PM

I lived in Philly, but then a couple of guys who were up to good started making trouble in my neighborhood. I got in one little fight and my mom got scared, she said "You're moving with your auntie and your uncle to Bel Aire!"

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 1:35 PM

Face / 2, day of show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 1:38 PM

"I lived in Philly, but then a couple of guys who were up to good started making trouble in my neighborhood." Odd that those do-gooders would suddenly make trouble...

11:29, 1st robbery-ur $, phone, maybe watch
2nd robber- your sweet shooz
3rd: rest of your clothes
4th: your innocence

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 1:55 PM

5th: your heart

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 2:01 PM

@155 anal virginity is definitely one of the 4, unless it was already off the table.

i'd actually be hysterically laughing if i was robbed of all my money, clothes, and phone after a festival. excuse to run around naked manically screaming while completely wasted? hell yes.

i'd just wire myself some cash when i'm back at the hotel, will be down like $600 tops and up one sweet ass story.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 2:14 PM

Philly really is a shit hole. Especially East Philly by the water. Avoid if possible.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 2:21 PM

The black and whites are gonna fights.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 2:28 PM

Philly is a mean, ugly spirited city of assholes.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 2:34 PM

2:21 - Hilarious. There is in fact no real "East Philly". There is a West Philly, North Philly, South Philly, but definitely nothing classified as East Philly.

Ps- you're right though, the river area basically does suck. The only people who habng around there are d-bags, tools, prosti's and junkies. WTF were you doing there?? I guess if a cheapo tranny stole my wallet, I'd prob be pissed too. Get back on that horse, champ!

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 2:50 PM

philly sucks. the first time my band played in philly our ride got broken into right outside of the venue during the show (in fact about 5 cars in a row got their windows smashed) and the cops didnt even show up.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 2:54 PM

Yeah 2:54, b/c that stuff NEVER happens in NYC, right? Fool!

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 2:56 PM

2:14, not if they robbed you of some of your teeth too :0 (unless you're like, 6'1", 175 of course)

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 3:35 PM

@254 you need to call the cops for them to show up. they aren't magical elves.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 4:49 PM

2:21 here, just cause there's no offical "East Philly" doesn't mean there isn't an East Philly...

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 5:25 PM

@4:49, sometimes the cops do just appear, ever see Rambo: First Blood? Cop was just all up in John's stuff. If a black man walks into certain areas, cops on him like dat.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 5:34 PM

Philly sucks. People are assholes. City is 85% ghetto.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 5:46 PM

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 6:07 PM

How can they still no festival schedule up? I hope this means Jay-Z is planning lots of guest appearances aside from Beyonce.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 6:30 PM

Philly>Swedesburg

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 6:40 PM

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 7:19 PM

@630 ron howard is filming the festival to turn it into a movie. there'll be guest performances out the ass.

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 8:15 PM

^and his brother will be in it as a sassy sound control guy

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2012 9:45 PM

I was only there cause I was taking the subway to the Susquahannah Bank Center for a show."

the subway doesnt go to Jersey and Patco only has stops in Center City. So 8th and Market is your "East Philly"? dude stick with the burbs.

Posted by Anonymous | August 29, 2012 10:00 AM

Chris Cornell cancelled btw, which sucks, part of the attraction was the potential for some Temple of the Dog action with Pearl Jam!

Posted by Anonymous | August 29, 2012 11:45 AM

I saw gary clark at hang out and bonnaroo this year. As a musician I truly enjoy seeing somebody return to their blues roots. Hes a great guitarist. Great post keep up the hard work. Check these out IStillGotMyGuitar.

Posted by simon george | August 29, 2012 8:28 PM

I love how musicians are inspired by other musicians. You can talk to people that are very successful in the music industry and they will tell you how other famous musicians inspired them to push past their believed limitations. I liked the part where Gary talks about how his parents were worried about him because all he wanted to do all day long was play guitar.

Posted by ontario honey | November 8, 2012 6:40 PM

I was there and it was awesome, no trouble really. Seems like a lifetime ago now.

Posted by Mezza Band Man | March 28, 2014 10:38 AM