Posted in music | pictures on August 9, 2012

photos by Amanda Hatfield, words by Andrew Sacher

M83 at Central Park Summerstage - 8/8/12
M83

Laser light shows, clouds of fog, thrashing guitars, an orchestra, and club bangers are just a few of the things seen on stage at M83's sold out Central Park Summerstage show last night (8/8). Like Animal Collective, who achieved a similar feat back in 2009, M83 spent about a decade as one of indie rock's most consistent bands, and when the release of 2011's arena-sized Hurry Up, We're Dreaming inevitably put M83 in arena-sized venues, they were more than ready for it. Main member Anthony Gonzalez really knows how to be a frontman, fulfilling the most classic definitions of the word (he does things like yell "NEW YORK!" in between songs). The band's light show is phenomenal, blending a glossy 80s aesthetic with a keen sense of futurism. They've got lasers, floodlights, spotlights, and four light-up panels on stage which shift in color and shape throughout the show. And every member of the band looks like they're having a great time on stage for the whole set. When members switch instruments, they don't simply walk over to their new position, instead they prefer to dance their way over. When a band has that massive a presence, it's hard to ignore them.

That said, I can't promise everyone in attendance felt the same. Unfortunate to admit, but the only song that really got the crowd going wild was "Midnight City," and I definitely felt the density of people lighten after that one ended. Summerstage's sound system wasn't quite loud enough for this one and it helped make it too possible to hear all of the talking going on during songs. The only other downside was that the band's set was way too short (just an over an hour), especially for a band with six studio albums and a 70+ minute double album as their breakthrough. But all road bumps aside, this was a great show and certainly one to remember. The setlist hit all the high points of Hurry Up, We're Dreaming, including "Intro," "Reunion," "Wait," and "Steve McQueen," and dipped into their back catalog as well, reaching as far back as their 2001 debut. At this point the band have both the potential and the right to play a "hits" set, but they continue to throw in instrumental tracks, which add to the flow of the show and promise that M83 might be dipping a foot in mainstream waters, but like all great crossover bands, they're also keeping one on the land where they started.

M83 will be back in NYC when their ongoing tour brings them here for two Hammerstein shows (10/2-3) and a Wellmont show (10/4) in October. All three of those shows are with Sun Airway.

Big Black Delta opened last night's show. More pictures of both bands and M83's setlist are below.

M83

M83 Central Park Summerstage - 8/8/12 Setlist: (via)
Intro
My Tears Are Becoming a Sea

Encore:
A Guitar and a Heart
Skin of the Night
Outro
Couleurs

better than your average summer stage show...one more album they'll be playing msg

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 9:32 AM

OH MY FUCKING GOD THIS CONCERT SUCKED FUCKING ASSSSSS, YO. MY BALLS ARE ALL FUCKED-OUT AND GNARLED, BITCH.

AW SIT BITS.

(Disclaimer: I didn't "go" to the show, per se. I just know it SUCKED FUCKING ASSSSS!

FUCK EVERYONE! #HUMMUS

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 9:33 AM

"Summerstage's sound system wasn't quite loud enough for this one and it helped make it too possible to hear all of the talking going on during songs"

People would've just talked (or should I say yelled) louder. Shows as of late are unbearable with idiots talking the whole time.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 9:34 AM

"Main member Anthony Gonzalez really knows how to be a frontman, fulfilling the most classic definitions of the word (he does things like yell "NEW YORK!" in between songs)"

Wow. I didn't know that was all it took.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 9:36 AM

Good god, that dress...that culo!

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 9:37 AM

the sound was kept at 98 DB due to sound ordinances.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 9:38 AM

9:34: I totally agree. This trend of people talking during the entire concert really needs to stop.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 9:39 AM

are they still playing one hour shows?

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 9:40 AM

excellent, excellent show by the band. it was a bit short, but it was more like 80 minutes if you're gonna get specific. I agree though, they need to play closer to 2the hrs at this point. they're too big & have too big a catalogue.

now the crowd.....holy FUCK shut the fuck up you shitheads. clearly the majority of people at the show were there to be seen, or bc they thought it was a cool night out in the park. every time there was a lull or abc quiet part, the noise around me was very very distracting. these two moron girls nexxt to me were talking about a chicken sandwich at Mcdonalds as a fucking orchestra was performing! go die in a ditch assholes.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 9:41 AM

Hear, hear @9:34. It used to be just the all ages shows that I had to endure inane babbling. Now, I'm treated to important conversations concerning what her anthropology adviser told her and which hair product produces the healthiest shine. New York, it's getting ridiculous. Go to the back of the club and blab if these are such time sensitive issues that you feel compelled to have a tete-a-tete at that very moment. Total, self-absorbed bullshit.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 9:44 AM

Just stop having shows there. The sound is always way to low. As the one ass says above - IT FUCKING SUCKS ASS. Unless you want to see acoustic or symphonic music there, it's a complete waste of time. Fact is at an M83 show the sound should be loud enough that people CAN'T talk to each other.

CP SUMMERSTAGE SOUND SUCKS ASS. Feels kind of good typing that out.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 9:56 AM

Went to both shows and have to say, Bloc Party ruled the night.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 9:57 AM

Not a good show, between the crowd talking constantly, how quiet it was, and the setlist, I wish I sold mine at 3x face when I had the chance.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 9:58 AM

Pretty bad show. Setlist was basically entirely newer material.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 10:01 AM

sound sucked

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 10:06 AM

Let's be frank. The CROWD sucked the most! What a bunch of douchey white hipsters! I attribute this all to ticket thieves/dealers. All the people in the show were dissinterested in the band and just thought they could get a chance to see the next best thing. But these were rich wanna-bee hipsters and they did not know ANY of the songs except for Midnight City! LAME! Hardly any cheers. Come on! Even if the sound sucks - respect the band! They performed great. God this city needs to learn something from the Europeans! HOW TO ENJOY A GODDAMN CONCERT! FUCKTWITS!

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 10:16 AM

Wow!!! Probably the worst show of the summer so far ! Terrible opener, poor use of musical instruments as props, the drummer and the girl singing were the only ones playing live, most of the time. The orchestra was nice but you could barely hear them, the Running in place/dancing guy was trying way to hard, too many keyboards/synths/laptops on the stage. The five MacBooks stacked on the right side of the stage made me feel like i was at a damn Apple Store party !

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 10:20 AM

M83 was great. But... Worst. Crowd. Ever.

I'm not even exaggerating. I literally had to move away from a group of bros because I couldn't even hear the band of their obnoxious banter and off-key singing along.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 10:27 AM

M83 was great. But... Worst. Crowd. Ever.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 10:27 AM

Why don't you people tell the talkers to shut the fuck up? Are you afraid?

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 10:27 AM

Fuck the Euros. I've been to plenty of shows where drunken English morons and eurotrash posers wouldn't shut the fuck up.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 10:32 AM

When things got going and I could tune out the people around me it was a really good show. I thought the band had great energy, the light show was fantastic, and all around I was happy I finally got around to seeing them after being a fan for awhile. Too short, could have been louder, not the greatest set list (mostly because it was too short), etc, but the number one issue were the people. We thought it was just a bad pick of spot that we got next to the girl saying "they just have the one album right?", but I see it was an issue all around!

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 10:39 AM

NEW YORK!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 10:43 AM

More or less same setlist as Webster Hall, as T5, as Coachella, as, as, as ....

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 10:49 AM

Sadly, the yappers at fault will probably read this and all agree that there was a serious problem with the amount of talking over the music not knowing that they were the cause of it.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 10:52 AM

bro-chella 2012

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 11:04 AM

I was there with a friend who I hadn't seen in 8 years--we met up just outside the park right before M83 went on--so we were forced to catch up during the show. Sorry if our talking offended you, we won tickets from a contest and assumed most of the people there were in the same boat. No one seemed interested so I didn't think our talking bothered anyone.

Aside from "Midnight City" the show was pretty boring I must say.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 11:09 AM

that ass though

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 11:11 AM

there was a USA! chant at one point. The problem seemed to be HS kids.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 11:13 AM

hard nips

Posted by anonHUMMUS | August 9, 2012 11:14 AM

would.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 11:18 AM

Terrible/boring setlist. Bad selection of instrumental tracks. Should have gone with a few songs from dead cities, red seas...and a few vocal tracks kim&jessie and graveyard girl.

Posted by mellow | August 9, 2012 11:19 AM

I'd fuck the shit out of him. WOOOOOF!

Posted by Some dude | August 9, 2012 11:29 AM

"Went to both shows and have to say, Bloc Party ruled the night."

A bigger loser on here I don't think you are gonna find. How pathetic your existence that you went to both crappy shows.

"I wish I sold mine at 3x face when I had the chance"

LULZ, you never would have. There was never any point at which these tickets were ever going for that.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 11:54 AM

Did anyone sit outside? I was going to but then vegged out. From all the negative comments on the sound system, it sounds like I didn't miss much. Sat outside at the Sigur Ros show in Prospect
Park last week and it was nice even though not very loud. I would think both venues are similarly noise restricted but am not sure.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 12:02 PM

Beautiful ass shot.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 12:07 PM

11:09- you thought most of the people there had won tickets? Are you retarded?

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 12:07 PM

That setlist is wrong. Here is the correct one:

01.Intro

15.Outro
16.Couleurs

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 12:10 PM

Obvious troll is obvious

re: 11:09

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 12:17 PM

agreed. 11:09 is a bad faker. I did it much better when I faked being the girl on the cel phone in that Bang On A Can festival. Keep working on your style - you'll get better.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 12:28 PM

surrounded by patrick batemans

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 12:51 PM

leave work early (if you have a job) to get a spot closer to the stage...lack of noise/people talking problems: solved

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 12:58 PM

10:27 deserves an answer to question - solution to loud talkers - ask them to please quiet down, then escalate, then move if necessary - the reason they talk so loud is all the pussies afraid to assert themselves -

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 1:00 PM

Sound at CP Summerstage is awful. Haven't paid for a show there in a decade because of this. Part of it is that the place, as opposed to the Prospect Park Bandshell, is on a pedestal. There is no amphitheater to naturally reflect and amplify the sound, making the sound engineers essentially have to play the show on huge loud speakers aimed directly at the audience. Try watching a film there. It's like a movie theater with no walls.
What this means is that the sound inside the venue is harsh, one-dimensional, and generally terrible. Turning it up would only make it worse, believe me. The trick is to listen to the show from behind the venue where the trees and distance from the speakers provide ample opportunity for the harshness of the sound to dissipate and enrich through being reflected by the trees and surrounding landscape.
Also agree on the crowd. M83 are about as douchey as I listen to but a couple of bros on the way out take the cake, saying 'if you would have paid you would have been in there.' Joke was on them as it sounded much better where we were. Next time I'll buy and scalp tickets to idiots like them!

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 1:03 PM

"Part of it is that the place, as opposed to the Prospect Park Bandshell, is on a pedestal."

There is not much of a bandshell at Prospect Park. The musicians are not even close to it with the way the stage is constructed.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 1:23 PM

I think the backlash against bands once they attract a mainstream audience (traditionally attributed to "hipsters") is totally justifiable when you have to endure the kind of douchebags that were at SummerStage last night. Nothing against M83. It's not like "Hurry Up, We're Dreaming" was any poppier or more accessible than "Saturdays = Youth". They're just doing their thing. But for real fans of music, these boisterous assholes and their vapid girlfriends paying no attention whatsoever just ruin the experience of seeing a band you enjoy live.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 1:28 PM

@ 1:28 AMEN!

Posted by AnonHUMMUS | August 9, 2012 1:49 PM

Some thoughts. I saw M83 last year at Webster Hall and in 2008 at a pretty small venue in Massachusetts. I really enjoyed yesterday's show, especially "Sitting." Great energy. Catchy tunes. The indie appeal of Morgan Kibby. But I definitely echo some of the other complaints. The show definitely could have been longer. M83 has an extensive discography. What I liked about the 2008 show was how it balanced the earlier ambient material and emerging epic pop of "Saturdays = Youth." As far as the douchefest crowd, I'm afraid they're only multipling. Lots of bros vapid chicks know M83. And they will never shut up.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 1:52 PM

It's been nice to see M83 live over the last several years. Thought last year's Webster Hall show was epic. The live show's turned into a bit of a circus ("NEW YORK!!", dramatic cowbell, people "collapsing" on stage) but is still great. However, given the major douche factor that dominated the crowd, I'm done seeing M83 in NYC.

To the douche-bros recording the show on their iPhones: Good thing I called you out on this during Teen Angst. For next time, If you NEED to record a stupid video to post to Facebook, hold your in front of your face so you're only blocking your own view, not several people behind you. You should be glad you knew better than to take your iPhone back out and record again, bc I would have beat you senseless. Learn to attend a concert.

To the hipster wannabe douche-brahs with the "Sigma Brah Epsilon" flasks hugging it out, taking photos, and falling all over the place during Midnight City: DIE. JUST DIE.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 2:01 PM

1:52, I remember that 2008 tour, saw them at MHOW. Still one of my favorites and there were like 75 people there. Love the music, hate that Midnight City draws this kind of crowd. A real shame.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 2:06 PM

wood

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 2:20 PM

All the posts prefaced by "I agree 9:34!" and "hear hear 9:34!" are clearly 9:34. Really, really sad.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 2:23 PM

So, high CDF I take it

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 2:25 PM

In agreement with most of the comments. The show was short, but great, and that had to be the worst crowds I had ever seen/heard. The worst crowd ever.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 2:48 PM

@1:23 agreed. It's just called bandshell. I was referring to the amphitheater, which Prospect Park is more of. The sound there is less than ideal, but much much better.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 3:24 PM

This, without that troublesome white covering http://www.brooklynvegan.com/img/music/m83/summerstage/25.jpg

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 3:32 PM

I sat against a tree outside with my gf, had cigs / beer. Chilled, was nice. Hundreds of people outside. Nice Lights and beautiful crooning from thee lady latter on.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 3:45 PM

I'll also echo the sentiments expressed by others saying that the crowd was too noisy. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do - if it was one or two people, you could easily shush them. But it was an entire section - it was like being in a bar. Shouting at the whole crowd DURING the show would really not have improved the experience for anyone involved. I simply moved to the back, where it was quieter and the crowd was more into the show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 4:49 PM

It's refreshing to not hear so many knocks on the new album... After all it was critically acclaimed and sold more copies than any previous...

That usually cues hipsters to jump ship...

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 6:48 PM

i thought it was great concert. like the performance itself was amazing... if your gonna let other people ruin it for u than u really don't like the band as much as u say u do...

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2012 11:49 PM

11:49 is trollin hard, or a moron. theyre ruining the show for us bc theyre talking & yelling so loudly and so consistently that we can't concentrate on the performance, and the music is detracted from b/c of this other noise.

Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2012 1:59 AM

I'm unclear about something. Was this shot in PAL speed (25 fps)? In HD terms I guess that would be 1080i50. Two things make me suspect it was: 1. it was shot digitally in Russia, and digital films in Europe you just never know; 2. Wikipedia calls it a "single 96-minute Steadicam sequence shot" but the NTSC runtime is 99 minutes.

I wanna get this on DVD but would like to know which edition will give me the correct speed.

Posted by sean_pak215 | August 10, 2012 5:05 AM

i was just looking for this info. i got it from netflix and i haven't watched it yet i had the same suspicions when i read on the dvd sleeve that it was shot on video. i think i'll hunt down a PAL copy since the NTSC probably plays at 96% speed, 24fps × .96 = 25fps, 99min × .96 = ~96min, i think that makes sense

Posted by fourtwo-1 | August 10, 2012 5:06 AM

After the show I realized I was probably talking too much. There were even times when I told my own friends to quiet down. It was me and my friends first M83 show and I guess we were just too excited. And I also sang along, and was most definitely off key, but like I said, was too pumped. One thing I will say, is that all discussion was about the band/show/song/lighting. It was all relevant, so at least I wasnt talking about what I had for dinner, ha. I bought tix for a show they are doing in NJ in Oct and will def be more aware of the noise I'm contributing. At the same time I felt like the crowd was too tame. Regardless of the amount of talking it seemed as though everyone there was dead. When I hear them play certain songs (and no, I dont just mean Midnight City, which i thought btw was pretty weak) I can't help but get excited and start moving. Not sure how ppl contain themselves. Found that aspect pretty lame. Overall though, good time. Like I said, I'll be aware of me and my friends noise level for the next show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2012 1:40 PM

I also did a lot of chatting during the show, but I couldn't help it because standing next to me was an older Lebanese man with immense knowledge of the chickpea and numerous exciting hummus recipes.

Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2012 2:09 PM

My favorite Lebanese dish is Mujadara. Did you get a recipe for that one by chance?

Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2012 4:25 PM