Posted in music | pictures on August 20, 2012

photos by David Andrako

My Morning Jacket at Williamsburg Park - 8/19/12
My Morning Jacket

Psychedelic roots rockers My Morning Jacket and psychedelic rap crew Shabazz Palaces teamed up for a show at Williamsburg Park last night (8/19) as part of a tour that MMJ is on. Their set included material from most of their studio albums and for their encore, Jim James did a solo acoustic performance of "I Will Be There When You Die," and the band were joined by Dean Wareham (Galaxie 500, Luna) for a cover of George Harrison's "Isn't It A Pity." The encore also included a cover of Prince's "I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man."

More pictures of both bands and the setlist and videos from My Morning Jacket's set are below.

My Morning Jacket - "Phone Went West" at Williamsburg Park - 8/19/12

My Morning Jacket - "I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man" (Prince Cover)
at Williamsburg Park - 8/19/12

Good Intentions
========
I Will Be There When You Die - Jim James solo acoustic
Isn't It A Pity (George Harrison cover) - w/ Dean Wareham of Luna
Victory Dance
Wordless Chorus
I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man (Prince cover)
One Big Holiday

For any concert poster collectors out there, you can pick up a MMJ poster at the designers website today.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 10:44 AM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 10:46 AM

seriously, hacky sack?

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 10:48 AM

How was the show? It was just two years or so ago that MMJ headlined MSG and their shows are supposed to be epic (epic and W'burg Waterfront don't really go together these days).

Oh I know...a real fucking post for a change. Hummus. iPods. MMJ sucks. Hackie sack is stupid, blah blah blah.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 10:52 AM

Great show, but that was one of the weirdest crowds I've ever seen. Hipsters, middle aged dads, hippie jam band weirdos, bros, bridge & tunnel assholes, and the usual group of people too cool to watch the show who were busy talking throughout the entire performance.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 11:01 AM

Amazing show... great crowd

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 11:02 AM

11:01 and you didn't fit into any of those categories?

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 11:05 AM

Best live band going

Posted by anonymous | August 20, 2012 11:05 AM

They headlined MSG just last December. The MSG show was better IMHO, but this was still a great 2 hour and 20 minute show. They definitely seemed to go on more extended jams at last night's show than I remember at MSG, but I could be wrong about that.

This show would have been better at the old Waterfront venue. The current set up feels oddly claustrophobic for being an outdoor open air venue.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 11:07 AM

Steep prices at the mech table... 60 bucks for a hoodie? 30 for a poster? WOW

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 11:11 AM

who else is there?

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 11:11 AM

if you want to hear what music sounds liek in the year 4000 check out the opener

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 11:12 AM

That's what happens when bands escape the indie ghetto 11:01. All sorts of actual people listen to them.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 11:19 AM

Seen MMJ 8 times now, and this was probably the best show I've seen them do. Great set of favorites and rarities, epic jams, great light show, and one great acoustic set. Shabazz confused the audience, but I dug them... wanna see their own show at a venue with lights and fog.

Posted by panopticon | August 20, 2012 11:23 AM

quite a bit from tennessee fire, surprising

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 11:23 AM

^Lol what ghetto... They're from Louisville

I get your point... The fact that people on this site are always so concerned about concert attendees boggles my mind...

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 11:25 AM

blew away msg imo
these gusy get better each time i see them

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 11:29 AM

The best MMJ show. far.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 11:41 AM

I think there were definitely more extended jams during this show compared to MSG and I therefore loved this show even more than usual.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 11:46 AM

Yeah DOndante was from another world... strange only 2 from Evil urges

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 11:52 AM

11:01 is correct re: the crowd - an oddball mix for sure.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 11:59 AM

Great show, like others have said, MMJ just seems to get better and better. Dondante, Run Thru, Smokin From Shootin. Awesome.

Posted by Tremags | August 20, 2012 12:01 PM

Where were you when M. Ward and Dr. Dog opened for them right after they released It Still Moves? Nothing will ever beat that tour...

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 12:01 PM

NYE 09!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 12:02 PM

One of the best shows I've been to in years. And I thought the crowd was great. Very few phones in the air, not many talkers or folks just there for the scene and everyone seemed to know their MMJ. Well done, New York. I miss the view of the old venue but bathrooms and beers and everything else seemed much, much easier. So well done there, Williamsburg and Brooklyn.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 12:17 PM

Was a nice time for sure.

That was my first show there and I must admit I was having a tough time hearing the vocals. They just weren't cutting through because of the bass reflections from the warehouse (stage left) .. and because of that they had to crank up the high end which made the acoustic guitars sound paper thin. It must be REALLY tough to mix for that venue. Props to the sound guys because it was still a great time.

I miss summer already ;)

Posted by Burg | August 20, 2012 12:32 PM

My favorite night of the summer so far. Just a fantastic show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 12:40 PM

@12:17 What are you talking about? You must've been one of the hardcore fans parked on the rail by the stage because the crowd was awful. You couldn't be more wrong about there not being phones in the air and a good portion of the crowd walked out throughout the encore. The show was fine and the band played well but there is no reason to give that crowd any love. Terrible.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 12:46 PM

I'm a huge MMJ fan. but after seeing the setup the night before at the Daptone show, I sold my tix. I'm not one to fight the crowds to crush up front and the sound towards the back is horrible and sightlines non existant. Perhaps there are better areas to stand where it's I'm not crushed up against others and where the sound and view is good, but I couldn't find it at all on Sat night.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 1:02 PM

@12:46 must have been where I was standing (just right of the soundboard). Sorry to have a different experience than you. Hope you still enjoyed the show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 1:18 PM

Sound right next to the soundboard was great. I moved up later and it sounded lousy, though.

That venue is a shit-hole. A concrete block surrounded by a covered chain link fence, with stunning views of storage tanks and warehouses.

Nonetheless, MMJ killed it. As always.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 1:27 PM

I'm not a huge fan of the extended jams...the Merriweather show on Saturday had the better setlist IMHO.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 1:34 PM

My Morning Hummus

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 1:36 PM

i never want to go to that venue, how did they manage to fuck it up so badly?

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 1:43 PM

Great show.
Shit shit shit venue.
Thinking of dumping my Animal Collective tix to avoid this de facto prison yard

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 1:48 PM

crowd was weird because of the price i think. you could grab a beer and walk back to front row no problem. Four songs from Tenn Fire was an awesome surprise. They played a more standard set at the Garden.....cause its the garden.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 2:03 PM

Yeah, the venue has the atmosphere of a prison yard, but it was a great show! Don't know what 1:02 is talking about - I got rail (toward the left hand end, but still in full view of everyone on stage) and it was one of the most mellow and spacious rails I've had. Everyone was pretty respectful and mostly not douchey. Plus I just strolled right on up to that spot over an hour after doors opened. Agree with 12:32 on the sound mix and muted vocals though.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 2:08 PM

Good Intentions is the best song of all time. They killed it last night.

Posted by Venkman | August 20, 2012 2:30 PM

Flat out effin awesome show. 11th time seeing Jacket since 05. This set was on a somewhat different tip than most the shows I've seen.

"Dondante", was a highlight for me. I've never heard em start it up like that and man I tell ya, watching it nearly spiral out of control, like they were all struggling to get that beast of a song back in its cage before it was too late for all of us. - Then right in "War Begun" of all tunes. Stellar job.

Air was clear. Vibes from the crowd were great. Bet a lot of you missed the balding 40-something dude in a purple tie-dye who busted out his best rip-skipping River Dance to "Isn't It A Pity" and shot straight for the exit as soon as it was over. I'm still wondering if he was ever really there at all...

Posted by Chris G | August 20, 2012 2:43 PM

anyone see the zach galafianakis look alike fall like a ton of bricks? hope that dude was alright.

Posted by cdb | August 20, 2012 3:41 PM

My Morning Yacket

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 4:00 PM

With 99% of precincts reporting, Chris G's comment takes it. Hilarious.

Posted by NBC News | August 20, 2012 4:38 PM

Girls Hula-Hooping? Beachballs? Glowsticks?

I swore I wasn't at a phish show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 6:28 PM

Smelly Hippies...

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2012 6:52 PM

McCarren Pool this place ain't. Youd think with all the $ in the bag to make these shows happen, they would have improved upon that shaky model. There was a vibe at those shows. The only real improvement is that there are less smelly hipster dudes with bangs hanging around who don't know crap about music before 1990.

Posted by Anonymous | August 21, 2012 2:18 PM

I used to listen to a lot of electronic music until I got into MMJ and realized rock n roll, more specifically southern rock, is still alive and well. Jimmy James is truly a great front man backed by an awesome band. Great post keep up the hard work. Check these out IStillGotMyGuitar.

Posted by Simon George | August 27, 2012 7:20 PM

This’s a really awesome article. I would like to appreciate your work, Thanks for sharing!

Posted by miniclip | August 29, 2012 5:04 AM