Posted in music | pictures on August 1, 2012

photos by Amanda Hatfield, words by Andrew Sacher

Sigur Ros at Prospect Park - 7/31/12
Sigur Ros

The stage at Prospect Park last night (7/31) was lit up only by the grainy footage used for their "Ekki Mukk" video as Sigur Ros walked out, greeted by thunderous applause, for their first NYC show in four years. The show was sold out, but tons of people were listening from outside the venue too.

Sigur Ros recently ended their four-year hiatus with the album Valtari, their most consistent since 2005's Takk. So with that album's success to ride on, I went into the show with pretty high expectations, all of which were easily met. They opened the show with the only two Valtari songs of the night, "Ekki Mukk" and "Varuo," but the songs melded right in with the rest of the set. They relied most on material off of Agætis Byrjun and Takk, arguably their two heaviest hitters, and of course the crowd reactions for those old favorites like "Sæglopur," "Svefn-g-englar," and "Hoppipolla" were the most massive, but they really hit no lows.

For this tour, original pianist/multi-instrumentalist Kjartan "Kjarri" Sveinsson has chosen to sit out, though in an interview with The Reykjavik Grapevine, Jonsi confirms that he is not leaving the band for good, and just "tired of touring" and wants to "spend his time doing something else." In his place was Ólafur Björn Ólafsson of Jonsi's live band and bassist Georg's younger brother, Kjartan Dagur Hólm (of For A Minor Reflection). With that lineup in tow, the three original members took their places at the front of the stage (the only three members to receive spotlights), as Ólafur and Kjartan remained in the back with the band's touring string and horn players. Save for those rare spotlights, the band continued to be lit almost exclusively by the grainy footage on the screens behind them and a series of light bulbs scattered throughout their instrument setups. The slowly drifting images on the screen were as dream-inducing as the band themselves -- but while you'll catch some ambient bands using visuals as vices, Sigur Ros are quite the splendor to watch on their own.

The show began with a great set from Perfume Genius (aka Mike Hadreas and his 2-piece backing band), who seemed pretty aware that it's a bit of a struggle to open for Sigur Ros, but delivered nonetheless. He played a number of highlights from his excellent 2012 LP, Put Your Bank N 2 It, including "Take Me Home," "Dark Parts," and "Hood," among others. He also threw in some cuts from his 2010 debut, Learning, notably the standout single, "Mr. Peterson," and covers of Neil Young's "Helpless" and Madonna's "Oh Father." The crowd was a little restless for his set, and often times the people talking were louder than Perfume Genius's music, but with the lyrical depth that Mike Hadreas has, he couldn't help but steal a few commanding moments.

Sigur Ros' tour with Perfume Genius (which started in Philadelphia two nights earlier) continues in Toronto tonight (8/1), and after the Icelandic band plays Lollapalooza and Osheaga, they'll hook up with Julia Holter to complete their North American tour on the west coast. More pictures of both bands and Sigur Ros' setlist from last night's show are below.

Sigur Ros Prospect Park Setlist - 7/31/12
Olsen Olsen
Festival
Hafsól

Encore:
Glósóli
Popplagið

Great show! Was also cool that the crowd was mostly quiet during it.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:10 PM

Perfumed Hummus dude was in fact wearing a skirt and tights, right? I mean, I wasn't imagining that was I?

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:13 PM

The show was really great - the visuals were awesome. But I think I loved them more at United Palace 4 years ago. In that space, the music consumed you and it was a much denser wall of sound, which is what I'm always hoping for when I see a band like Sigur Ros.
(Mogwai did it most recently at Webster)

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:13 PM

Lowest CDF of the year so far!

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:15 PM

I could hear frogs during the silence. Thanks to the bridge & tunnel crowd for sitting this one out.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:15 PM

I wish I got the phone number of that girl in the yellow dress with the camera that laughed at my jokes last night. I'm a dope, I should have definitely gotten those digits.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:16 PM

what is cdf

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:19 PM

LULZ @ "bridge & tunnel"
This bro is totally from LonGisland or Passaic, sooooo obvious

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:19 PM

CDF = Crowd Douche Factor

Imagine standing in a crowd. You are surrounded by approximately 10 people - 3 in front of you, 3 in back, and 2 on either side. Of those 10 people, how many douches do you count? That's your CDF (out of a maximum of 10). Average NYC show CDF is approximately 3 to 5. Last night I put it between 1 and 2. Very respectable value, made the show order of magnitude more enjoyable.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:22 PM

Fucking magical..

The crowd was really great overall as mentioned.
Nature soundtrack was a wonderful thread throughout.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:22 PM

Sigur Ros was excellent, really. But Perfume Genius was mind numbingly boring. I had to fight to stay awake during that set. For shows from now on, I want some of what Andrew Sacher was smoking to say of them that they "delivered nonetheless" and "couldn't help but steal a few commanding moments".

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:26 PM

@12:15 They weren't frogs, they were cicadas, but they really melded with the music (and punctuated the silence.) I too was impressed at how attentive/rapt the crowd was...for once no one was talking around us.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:26 PM

@12:15
You do realize that the show was in Brooklyn, which kind of makes those coming from basically anywhere else "bridge and tunnel"? And since no one actually from Brooklyn uses that term, my guess is you were the interloper last night. Isn't that right, genius?

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:28 PM

@12:15 anyone who says "bridge and tunnel" is usually bridge and tunnel. Oh wait. You're probably old-school Brooklyn, right? Fucking idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:32 PM

did anyone see that guy, who looked like he might of been a photographer, wrestling with security by the center beverage stand?? what was that all about?

Great show btw.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:32 PM

show wudda been better if they came on stage and stared out into the crowd in silence for an hour and a half, you m00ks are a bunch of fukking clowns

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:39 PM

@12:32

"anyone who says "bridge and tunnel" is .... Fucking idiot"

I agree with that statement. Now to the stuff in the middle that I cut out ...

"usually bridge and tunnel. Oh wait. You're probably old-school Brooklyn, right?"

All this shows is that you are not from NYC at all, and as such - not having lived here during that time when that phrase was popular - you really don't have any right to pass judgement on us old school NYC'ers or Brooklynites. To us, that "I'm here, so the party can start now" attitude is the problem to begin with. You feel me?

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:41 PM

I ws right up front.. security was managing where camera people went and where they didn't go. Lot of jostling and I guess this one dude crossed the line. They spoke to him, but he seemed to be caught up in the moment. Camera person wasn't getting the message, so a second security person got involved. And then it just devolved into who can yell louder than the other.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:43 PM

cock genius

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:43 PM

Concert photogs are generally pretty respectful of concertgoers. Hope that he/she is OK.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:44 PM

Andrew Sacher must be Mike Hadreas's boyfriend b/c Perfume Genius were god awful

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:49 PM

I saw the struggle between the photographer and security--they really roughed him up; it seemed over the line.

I agree that the crowd was good, but an indoor venue they may have been better behaved. Around me on the grass were a bunch of people having conversations, which annoyed me to know end. I went in the pit for a bit (stage right) and a dude talk a cell phone call in the middle of a song then proceeded to scream and applaud the loudest at the conclusion of the song (I am pretty sure he is the d-b that screamed out "fuck the police" as well). In any event, I am sure he took a lot of instagram photos to demonstrate to his friends who were not there that a) he was and b) he was having an awesome time.

There was a lot of cell phone use and talking, in my opinion. Sigur Ros, which provide some great escapism for a few hours, couldn't overpower the pull of the phones. Oh well. Amazing show. I thought it may have been better than United Palace. Olsen Olsen was the highlight!

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:54 PM

tix were available on ticketmaster starting at 8pm night before the show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:54 PM

"But I think I loved them more at United Palace 4 years ago. In that space, the music consumed you..."

Most definitely. But I kinda knew in advance that last night's show wouldn't be as great as the UP one. Still, it's Sigur Ros, so it's great anyway.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:55 PM

No cell phones up front. Just saying.

Also, Celebrate Brooklyn was x1000 better than United Palace. For those keeping track at home.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:57 PM

Past 4 years:

Manhattan Center > MoMA > Celebrate Brooklyn > United Palace

I saw all 4, sufficiently close each time to judge apart from the weekend warriors that come to every show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 12:59 PM

Posted by Professor | August 1, 2012 1:03 PM

^very nice. takks professor.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 1:06 PM

saw them for first time yesterday and it was the best. got goosebumps multiple times throughout the show. i wish that food stand on the left side wasn't there. (and also that "fuck the police" douche)

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 1:06 PM

There were still a relatively apparent CDF (oh, how I hate to use that term) there, believe it or not. It's just that a band like Sigur Ros can kinda quiet them down a little bit. Still, it was enough to be kinda grating (especially that obnoxiously drunk girl yelling/screaming and touching me), but it didn't ultimately ruin the show.

I mean, it was outdoors at Prospect Park in Brooklyn. I knew it was gonna still be at least a little douchey. You people claiming that there wasn't any of that are probably so used to being around a really high CDF (oh, not again!) at all the show you go to in BK of course.

Having said all that, it was still a great show. Kudos to SR!

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 1:07 PM

CDF = 1 to 2 means that there were douches in the crowd - there will always be douches in any crowd for any performance. That CDF also means that there were far fewer douches than the average show in NYC. Generally speaking, higher CDFs occur with shows that attract a high number of non-fans. Even though the crowd was large, if you were sufficiently close, you were likely a real fan and had a quite enjoyable experience.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 1:15 PM

12:59, Manhattan Center was amazingly intimate but also extremely loud, if you were standing anywhere near the speakers radius you had to move or lose your hearign for the next day

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 1:16 PM

No one stood at Manhattan Center 1:16, it was a seated show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 1:20 PM

Biggest CDF in recent memory - Radiohead at Roseland last year! CDF was at least 8. Constant talking, stupid loud drunks, pics, videos, phones...it was an awful concert-going experience!

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 1:27 PM

DAMN. Sigur Rós played one of the best shows ever.

Idiot girl who complained all the way through Vaka about how "the settlers have ruined Williamsburg" (oh shut up already).

And you, guy who brought your two bored kids and loud wife to the show and laid back in the pine needles gazing at the stars during Hoppipolla, thank you for trying to experience the music, but when you told your son "this is what it's like to be homeless," you made life a little bit worse.

Maybe people inside the cordon actually knew and appreciated Sigur Rós, and weren't just looking for something to fill a few hours in their amazingly empty minds. I hope so, because if it really was as respectful as commenters have said, those folks must have had an exquisite time.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 1:28 PM

lol "this is what it's like to be homeless" lol lol lol

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 1:31 PM

128pm I agree with some people should stay home. It's disrespectful to people who want to listen to the band but most importantly to the band who came from Iceland to play 1st NY show in 4 years!

ps I was to the right of beer stand behind the soundboard and surprisingly, it sounded great and most people were paying attention to the music:)

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 1:39 PM

there were some sound issues in the beginning / they got that sorted out eventually.People around me were respectful of each other.One of the security guards (upfront) was a bit of a knucklehead.Seemed like he was looking for trouble.. I thought it was a great show..

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 1:53 PM

Surprising it sounded good behind the soundboard

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 1:55 PM

you forget the beacon show... 10 years ago?
but then again, you guys were in elementary school...

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 1:56 PM

being a pretty big douche at shows, I was pleasantly surprised to find 2 bro's near me who not only laughed, but contributed to the douchiness.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 1:56 PM

Posted by anonymous | August 1, 2012 1:58 PM

So all the posters here regard themselves as the best Sigur Ros fans and not douches in the least? Incredible.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 1:59 PM

1:56 - awesome. wait, i think i remember you from Emmylou Harris at Summerstage! How ARE you?

- (sighs). I'm.... Good.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:01 PM

No 1:59, I think you just garnered that accolade all for yourself (the douche part, not the fan part). Congrats!

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:03 PM

"*Past 4 years*: Manhattan Center > MoMA > Celebrate Brooklyn > United Palace"

"you forget the beacon show... *10 years ago*?"

It always surprises me just how fucking stupid the average BV poster is.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:05 PM

2:01 - I'm doing great as always and am glad you are as well, trying to recharge my douche batteries for Beirut at months end. Big ups to City Winery for giving me the courage needed (by way of their White Wine) to speak during an entire set

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:06 PM

Hey everyone, 1:59 is about to "teach us something", being a much bigger and more knowledgeable Sigur Ros fan than us. Because, that is what this thread is all about - proving who has liked them longest and best.

Go on 1:59, grace us with your pearls of wisdom.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:08 PM

5th time seeing them since 2005
best was 2006 at borgata in Atlantic City, absolutely magical at a weird venue

i was up front off to the right so can only comment around those close to me
very good crowd up front compared to all the other shows ive been to NYC this was definitely low on the CDF

Scalpers were only going down to $30 right before the set in case those were wondering about a "fire sale"

The new songs are ho hum but the old ones sound just as good if not better than they did 7 years ago

Feels weird without Kjartan with them
but overall can not miss a show when this band comes to town period

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:11 PM

Radio City was good in 2005

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:17 PM

setlist looks like corrupt HTML code #justsayin

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:19 PM

@12:41 I don't claim to be "NYC," as you put it.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:20 PM

i guess CDF is a thing now?

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:21 PM

douche... calling some that is cool, right?
what are you guys 18?

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:22 PM

I had a good time last night, regardless of what other year might have been "better" (so subjective, doncha think?). It's about having a good time, right? Who doesn't like a good time? If only I didn't get that call from my bud Josh in the middle, it would have been perfect. But at least Josh got to hear a couple songs when I held the phone up (couldn't tell you the names, they're all like in Swedish or something). Anyway, good times!

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:23 PM

@12:41 I'm sayin don't put the bridge & tunnel mother fuckers on blast when I'd venture to say less then 1% of last night's crowd were born and bred New Yorkers.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:23 PM

Tired of Popplagið as a closing song.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:24 PM

@12:19, from Manhattan actually. I guess I did look out of place among all the dirty hipsters though.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:24 PM

yup, LonGisland alright

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:25 PM

radio city was march 2003.

beacon theater wasn't ten years ago, it was the takk tour for september 2005.]

i prefer seeing them indoors, though being in the park last night was very nice.

i was lucky enough to see them at irving plaza in 2001 with steindor andersson. it was a great, unique, memorable show. sigur ros is always great live, but those early shows were fantastic.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:26 PM

"you forget the beacon show... 10 years ago?"

There were more than one show at the Beacon Theater. The Beacon shows were the best IMHO, even better than the Irving Plaza show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:26 PM

Someone is pretending to be multiple people. Obviously.

Boring life, boring lies.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:27 PM

I will correct myself. My favorite show was at the Theater at MSG, not the Beacon shows. The noise upstairs from the Billy Joel concert and Jonsi's comment were fun.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:28 PM

wouldve loved to have seen them in early or mid 2000s. prisons kind of a drag.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:28 PM

"beacon theater wasn't ten years ago, it was the takk tour for september 2005."

You forgot about the two shows at the Beacon in support of ().

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:30 PM

this show was a snoozefest. Did i not bring enough pot and down enough bud lights or something?

Posted by SummerFridays | August 1, 2012 2:32 PM

You sigur ros fans need to freaking relax. Yes, if someone is talking for a half hour, on a cellphone or to their fellow concertgoer, asking them to be quiet is fine. My buddy leaned over and said a one word question in a whisper voice, and this guy just EXPLODED on us calling us assholes and dropping tons of F bombs and telling us to just leave if that's the way its going to be. Thanks buddy, you just ruined the show for me and my friend. I love Sigur Ros but the incredibly self-serious fan who takes any talking as a travesty need to fucking relax. I searched for "shushing at Sigur Ros" and got 4.4 million hits.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:38 PM

shushing at Sigur Ros (verbatim)
>>>>> GOOGLE >>>>>
About 6,140,000 results (0.60 seconds)

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:41 PM

"at one point, there was total silence in the venue and someone went "shush""

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:44 PM

I didn't say one word then to my friend for the next two hours because of that guy...as he yelled at us when we were simply whispering. Damn near impossible to enjoy a band like Sigur Ros when all your thinking about is this douche next to us. We also saw the camera guy get thrown out as we were by the emergency exits...he was furious and was trying to get the names of the security guards. big scene in the back for five minutes.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:45 PM

anyone see the dragonfly buzzing over the crowd during the start of SR's set. was a nice touch...

Posted by will | August 1, 2012 2:47 PM

Ive had four different friends at different sigur ros shows "shushed." I woulda been fine with the dude if he just asked us to be quiet. I think also a factor was the all the security guards around us making fun of the music, he couldn't yell at them..so he unleashed like hell has no fury on us. Yes I'm bitching and obviously most fans aren't like this..but it's almost like a indie rite of passage to shush someone else at sigur ros. uggghhhh

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:48 PM

put down the cocaine and back away from the computer slowly...

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:49 PM

I shushed a guy at the Sigur Ros show who was being silent. You see, in the silence I just knew what he was thinking.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:53 PM

Damn, 1:28. Sounds like you endured some really annoying shit to try to spoil all those great little moments that make SR, well, great. Can't say I'm surprised that it happened, given the venue and all. I was the one that commented about the obnoxious drunk girl earlier, so I kinda feel your pain.

"The old fashioned "shhhh" as SR took the stage shut up everyone around me for most of the entire show. It was surprisingly effective."

Or you get the obnoxious cunts over where I was, that were getting all pissy about it who mutter whiny remarks, because they can't bear to, you know, NOT TALK. Oh, the horror!

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 2:58 PM

Talking constantly is over the line. If in between songs or occassionally over two hours you say something quietly to the person your with, someone shouldn't jump down your throat.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 3:06 PM

someone farted last night

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 3:08 PM

2:58 - where you wearing a white t-shirt, next to the dude in the green soccer jersey? and were the girls a bit overweight, one was Asian and one way garden variety chubby whore white? where were you standing? becasue I think I know who you are talking about.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 3:09 PM

i farted

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 3:09 PM

talk all you want in between bands and before the show starts - can't figure out what's so damn important to talk while a band is on stage - disrespectful to them and to the people around you who paid good money (like you did) to enjoy the show

my first time seeing the band and they were wonderful and the park setting was the best (and yes, those were not crickets and added the best touch to a great night)

also, the full moon appeared over the trees during the last song - sweet!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 3:12 PM

how about to the guy you're with that a song was great? is that permitted? If my friend asks me a question should I just stare back at him with a stone face? once you unleash on someone for a public noise rock concert, the burden of obnoxious asshole switches from the people talking to the guy who is doing the shushing. You're in a public space and if the action isn't over the line, then you are.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 3:17 PM

sounds like a lot of dudes with vaginas to me

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 3:19 PM

Talk all you want. But, you light up a cigarette where I'm standing and I'll make a scene like you've only dreamed about. I mean it, sick of this entitled cigarette bullshit.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 3:21 PM

The dudes with vaginas are the kids that want to declare a sigur ros a fucking library quiet hour. Fuck off. I'll stay off my cell, won't tell a long parable, but I'll drink a beer and say hello to the guy I went with.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 3:25 PM

What was that Icelandic pixie prancing across the stage at one point? Anyone else see that, or was I having a flashback?

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 3:30 PM

shut up all of you

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 3:38 PM

lick me, all of you!

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 3:49 PM

Perfume Genius is one of the worst bands I have ever seen. It was awful, just awful.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 3:56 PM

better than MOMA?

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 4:01 PM

12:54 - That guy took several calls and screamed into his phone and at his friends throughout the entire show. The only time he was quiet was when he was holding his beer in his mouth and texting. And yes,he was the dick screaming fuck the police in between songs. I'm not sure if anyone shushed him but every time someone turned around and looked at him he would scream shit like "why is everyone on heroin", "who gave everyone oxycontin", "what are you in a khole".
I don't know that I've ever encountered a bigger dooshbag at a show. Or anywhere really.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 4:18 PM

when he sings it sounds like:

ks;jfaklsd;nasml;mdfjasdh;lfjasd;fjasl;dkfjl;asdkjfksl;adfjasdl;fjkasdl;fjasldfjkl;fjdcl;asdfjs;adlkfjasdfl;jasd;fasdfasfjasl;clas;cmcma;lsdfkjfksdl;afasdmf;smdf...

And, all you suckers stick around and say it's art.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 4:21 PM

3:25 and 3:19: dudes with vaginas that you never get into, you sorry things.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 4:22 PM

Perfume Genius is absolutely great in small spaces. I think they were at an obvious disadvantage with the space.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 4:24 PM

I've tried to listen to this band and everytime I have, I find myself curled in a ball on my bed and my penis slowly curls backwards and I turn into Pussy boy.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 4:28 PM

Good show. Crowd was okay...aside from the two girls who got into a fisticuff and the homophobic jerkface who made fun of Perfume Genius for being gay.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 4:30 PM

CDF peak of 2012: Radiohead at Prudential Center in Newark, no question.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 4:34 PM

@3:30 Don't worry; you're not losing it. It's the character from the music video they released the other day.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 4:34 PM

Message boards.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 4:41 PM

3:09: Naw, I was wearing a black shirt. But what you describe sounds vaguely familiar. Don't know if they were involved, but I was all the way to the right, close enough where the rail gurads were.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 4:42 PM

anyone get a black eye when that circle pit broke out? also I thought Sigur Ros needed huge hugs until I saw perfume genius. mannn

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 4:47 PM

fart

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 4:52 PM

"... the homophobic jerkface who made fun of Perfume Genius for being gay"

But, he was gayer than Charles Nelson Riley, gayer than Liberace, gayer than Harvey Fierstein doing the Momma Rose numbers from Gypsy in falsetto. I mean, c'mon. Was it like real hatred, or jokes about how obviously gay the guy is? You yourself have never made jokes about, I dunno, jocks or church attenders or republicans? Let's be honest now.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 4:57 PM

Nobody has anything shitty so say about this band on BV? Really? No one mocking the preciousness and the celestial aspirations of the music? C'mon BV'ers, poke a little fun at your ethereal cocoon.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 4:58 PM

If somebody tells me to put my Cigerette out, I cause a scene you only dreamed about.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 5:08 PM

^ if you did that around me you'd be eating through a straw for 6 weeks tough guy, if you're lucky

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 5:14 PM

"Tired of Popplagið as a closing song."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 5:16 PM

yes, the dragon fly and who was that girl that ran across the stage..

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 5:22 PM

5:14 you seem really tough, a real force to be reckoned with. Thank god I'm not a smoker!

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 5:29 PM

Such a little pussy is the man who can't handle a little smoke.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 5:32 PM

@4:57 I didn't realize jocks, church attendees, and republicans don't have a choice about who they are. Not exactly a fair comparison.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 5:33 PM

You people are worse than GYBE fans.

Jesus.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 5:36 PM

We're a long way from the days when people had fun at shows by drinking, smoking, and passing joints. They are solemn experiences now, all that's missing is a prayer book. Maybe there's an app for that.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 5:37 PM

^^ Exactly.

There is a balance between talking the whole set and having a good time.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 5:39 PM

5:33 - makes no difference about *your* actions. or does *your* worldview always allow you to eschew responsibility for your actions?

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 5:41 PM

@541 Not quite sure how your post has anything to do with what I said.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 6:00 PM

"jocks, church attendees, and republicans don't have a choice about who they are"

That is a profoundly ignorant statement. Please tell me that you were being sarcastic or funny by that.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 6:00 PM

"Radio City was good in 2005"

i saw them on this tour, upper darby PA i think. seen them 5 times and that was my fav..was also my first show

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 6:05 PM

@600 it was sarcastic. I originally posted that I didn't like someone near me in the crowd who was making fun of Perfume Genius for being gay. That person then responded asking whether I had ever poked fun at jocks, church attendees or republicans. My response was in reference to the idea that being gay is not a choice, whereas those other things are a choice and also not exactly a marginalized group.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 6:07 PM

5:33/6:00 - maybe you should use your brain instead of your emotions. It's painfully logical:

I asked "You yourself have never made jokes about, I dunno, jocks or church attenders or republicans?", in response to you protesting words that someone spoke at the show

you said "I didn't realize jocks, church attendees, and republicans don't have a choice about who they are", which has nothing to do with you making comments yourself about people / groups of people that you may not understand, or share values with. hence, misdirecting the need to take responsibility for your own actions.

I said "makes no difference about *your* actions. or does *your* worldview always allow you to eschew responsibility for your actions?" (repeat of point 2)

What is there not to understand? Have you ever made disparaging comments about anyone at anytime? If so, do I now get to call you hateful and judge you?

You see, of you apply a call for justice you better be willing to apply the same rule against your own thoughts and actions. We don't live in a fascist society, we live in a republic, with rights against controlling of ideas and thoughts. I'm not saying I agree with what the guy said (as I was not the guy, nor do I remember such going on around me), but I'm really sick of people applying "justice" when it suits them and weaseling out of it when it comes around on them. Fucking hate that.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 6:10 PM

One time I was at an OUTDOOR show and some pussy told me to put my smoke out, and I took a big drag and blew it in his face and told him to chill out... Which he did.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 6:20 PM

Whoa 6:20 you seem really tough, a real force to be reckoned with.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 6:23 PM

2:18 really nailed it

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 6:24 PM

@610 what were my "actions", exactly? Posting an Internet comment? LOL "applying justice" I take full responsibility for calling him a homphobic jerk because his statements were both homophobic and jerky, IMO. You seem really upset about this though. Maybe you should talk to someone about it off the Internet or something.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 6:26 PM

@610 You sound like Holden Caulfield, but you're probably a phony.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 6:36 PM

Sigur Ros forever.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 6:45 PM

6:26 LOL you judgmental bigot. Clearly you have problems with people acting in manners that don't align with your rigid and self-serving view of the world. Nice attempt at the blame-shift though. I bet you try that on your family, your lovers, your friends ... I bet some even feel sorry for you as a result. No, rather I might suggest that you could use a bit of therapy becasue following this manner of living is likely going to lead you to a sad, lonely, bitter adulthood, and that's really not what any of us want for you. It's better to live in the light, to be honest, to face the responsibility for one's own actions. I would love to continue this conversation with you once you get some help and mature a bit, but right now it's clear that you are not at a place where you can hear the truth. Sad, really. We're all pulling for you.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 6:45 PM

6:26/6:36 has a dog-eared copy of Catcher In The Rye in his backpack, right next to his handgun and the locks of hair he keeps as trophies from his victims. Watch out you Craig's List surfers, lots of dangerous people out there now.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 6:49 PM

@645 You're right. I'm a huge bigot because I dislike homophobic rhetoric. Boy, have you got my whole existence pegged. Have fun in your freshman psychology class.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 6:54 PM

What did the guy say, exactly?

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 6:57 PM

6:54, etc.

You have a very narrowly defined definition of a bigot that is clearly informed by your political agenda. I assure you that you are a bigot, but I understand why you are not comfortable with seeing it (as it will point back at you).

And the crack about freshman psychology - nice to meet you kettle. You should re-read your own words before you go throwing stones at other peoples glass houses.

Really, you will be a happier person once you are able to see life more clearly.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 7:00 PM

6:45 uses the n-word is casual speech but insists he has tons of black friends. he also thinks white christians are the most oppressed people on the planet.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 7:04 PM

Anyone who attends a sigur ros concert and gay-bashes the opening act has to be the dumbest fucking person on the planet considering the lead singer of the headling band IS ALSO GAY.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 7:06 PM

7:04

Really, you need help. You are not seeing reality clearly. And now you are imagining things with your mind and believing them to be so in spite of ample evidence to the contrary. Also, continuing to use judgmental and politically charged terms about people that you neither know nor have an actual relationship with. Pretty textbook example. Good luck with that.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 7:08 PM

Who "gay-bashed"? How? What did they say? To whom?

You see, it's a slippery slope from pre-forming perceptions through manipulation of language to thought crime.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 7:12 PM

Dudes, you're probably both right and both wrong. Dude #1 should have been more descriptive about the guy who probably said off color things, and Dude #2 should chill out on the attack. Dude #2 has a point about passing judgements, but Dude #1 has a point about Dude #1 coming across a bit intense. In the end, does it really make any difference to either of you? Can we all just grab a pita triangle and dip in the hummus bowl and be excellent to each other?

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 7:19 PM

Moral relativism is a slippery slope, y'all.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 7:29 PM

But Friends played topless in Austin, TX!!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 7:43 PM

faggots are the worse

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 7:45 PM

Whoa. Hold on a minute. There's a band called Perfume Genius? Lame.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 7:54 PM

I'm smoking a Cigerette and blowing the smoke on the anti-smoke comments on my laptop.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 8:17 PM

Perhaps the funniest thing of all is the dude who was freaking out about the other dude being judgmental was being totally judgmental himself. I agree that they should both have some hummus together. Hummus is the ultimate peacemaker.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 8:31 PM

^ yes. The power of the chickpea eases many tensions. Pass that pita triangle...

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 8:50 PM

Um, no, dude 1 really didnt do anything wrong. Dude 2 however is just a tool.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 8:50 PM

You're both tools

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 9:00 PM

Chick-fil-A is good food. Got minez today.

Posted by Papa Cito | August 1, 2012 9:02 PM

LOL gay people

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 9:19 PM

I saw Spoon at the same place a couple years ago, about the same time (end of July), and it had a CDF off the charts. So happy last night was better than that.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 9:21 PM

I gotta agree with the CDF factor comment at the Newark Radiohead show. although, I have to say that nothing will top the douche factor of a RH show on the "hail to the thief" tour in Camden NJ. has anyone ever been to that city? frightening place.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 9:40 PM

I've seen them a bunch. last night's show was the best they ever sounded. hands down. great show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 9:42 PM

"5th time seeing them since 2005"

Hey everyone, check out the newbie.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 10:08 PM

Whenever anyone on BV starts talking about Radiohead, I always think of that Yogi-ism "no one goes there anymore, it's too crowded". Unfortunately, that ship sailed some time ago.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 10:19 PM

^
there is virtually no correlation there yogi.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 10:38 PM

^ totally correlated tough guy. The crowd suck at Radiohead shows now because people go to tell their friends that they are there. LOOKITMEEEEEE! I'M AT RADIOHEAD BITCHES! Fucking freshman. Just like you, Skippy! ;-P

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 10:44 PM

10:38 is one of the "bros" that goes to concerts solely to impress his friends. Total poser douche, and likely accountable for somebody's CDF number from last night as well.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 10:48 PM

I talked in a loud drunk voice about eminen and octomom during the entire concer

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 11:10 PM

Dudes with vaginas? You all DO realize that would be a good thing.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2012 11:45 PM

well to 10:44/:48 who are obviously the same person. I was going to see Radiohead when you were going to Korn shows or worse. not a freshman, I'm vet in this pool. you seem sensitive there about my Jersey comments. in from hoboken for this one tough guy?

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 1:03 AM

^ dumb as fuck right there

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 6:27 AM

9:40 you're a retard...maybe your friends were the douches...or even you. I was at that Radiohead show in 2003 and it was great...most shows in Camden are decent...I like it better then PNC crowdwise

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 7:41 AM

What kind of person calls someone they don't even know on the internet a retard? A pretty sad little man.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 7:59 AM

^dumb as fuck right there

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 8:17 AM

7:59 hello, wake up!! Happens on the board every day. The douch comments are stupid ir retarded. I guess D is still afraid of Camden after he saw Radiohead in 2003.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 8:26 AM

Dude goes bonkers about someone calling someone homophobic but leaves all of the people calling each other douches and retards alone. Hysterical.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 8:26 AM

i see the mensa group have finally piled on to this comment section. jesus.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 8:27 AM

^If we took out all the inane comments on here it would be a pretty quiet comment section

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 8:54 AM

8:26(b) - how do you know that the same dude wasn't the one that posted at 7:59? Yeah I know, you're not as smart as you think you are. Actually, you're a pretty dumb fuck. You'll fit right in around here.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 9:09 AM

@8:27
Ha, you're funny - but looks aren't everything.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 9:11 AM

9:09

Even if it was, he said nothing for the whole first part of the thread where everyone was calling each other names before that point. Maybe you should worry about your own intelligence level instead of that of others. But that would require you to think, which is apparently a tall order.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 9:25 AM

^ 9:25 lives in a glass house and likes to throw stones. Hilarious, the degree of self awareness lost on this generation.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 9:30 AM

Actually 9:25 is probably dude #1 from yesterday still butthurt and looking for a fight

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 9:31 AM

^ I know you are, but what am I?

Posted by PeeWee Herman | August 2, 2012 9:32 AM

"But seriously, all you dumbasses who talk loudly through ENTIRE SHOWS of live music: STAY HOME.

Loudmouth guy in a red shirt who talked for a HALF HOUR about Pringles vs Lays, raising your voice to shout over the crescendoes of Saeglopur."

But what was the end result? Pringles or Lays? I'm more of a Lays fella myself but I'd be open to hearing the argument for Pringles.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 9:38 AM

9:09/9:30

...says the person who just called someone he doesn't even know a "dumb fuck".

Sorry to disappoint you, I'm not that dude.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 9:41 AM

^ 9:30 here - I'm not the 9:09 dude either.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 9:44 AM

^ and I didn't call anyone a "dumb fuck". But you seem worked up over some since of fairness. Do you feel in some way like a victim of something?

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 9:45 AM

Pringles vs Lays? Seriously?

Sorry, that guy is a douche.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 9:45 AM

Pringles are far superior, what a waste of a conversation

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 9:51 AM

Camden is a seriously fucked up city.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 9:57 AM

I love the guy who thinks every comment that he didn't write was written by one other person. Hilarious.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 9:59 AM

My shirt wasn't red, it was magenta.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 10:07 AM

Magenta is a good color on you.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 10:08 AM

i look really nice in aubergine

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 10:15 AM

Well thanks D at 9:57

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 10:35 AM

Nice fun convo kids. I'm bummed I missed the show, sounds like fun.

I last saw them at Manhattan Center which was epic. As I recall, at the end of that show when the brass band came out, many of the fans (most of whom were quiet during the show) ran up to the stage and whipped out their iPhone 3Gs and started snapping away photos, obstructing the view of everyone seated behind them.

Point is that shushing or no shushing, talking or not talking, in the end Sigur Ros fans are also douchey in their own, self-important way.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 1:09 PM

^
yea maybe, but at least they are respectful and quiet when it counts.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 1:45 PM

^

obstructing other fans' views with your crappy iPhone camera = respectful? I think not.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 1:51 PM

Hey dude (1:09) - I was at that Manhattan Center show too. This one at Prospect Park was excellent, but the one at MC was a different kind of experience. This one was a great concert, the MC one was an awesome experience. Both great, but different. You got the better IMHO, but you should have been there Tuesday too!

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 2:15 PM

Never get tired often live.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 2:38 PM

^
like you've never done that. hypocrite.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 3:19 PM

^ I'm not the guy that you are trying to pick a fight with, but I for one have not done this. I go to a show to see the show, not to prove to other people I feel inferior to that I am worthy of their attention.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 3:33 PM

3:19 knows the truth about the world and thinks everyone is a hypocrite but himself

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 4:57 PM

4:57 is a hater and is proud of it. dbag.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 11:08 PM

I agree with 4:57 and think you are the hating dbag, 11:08

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012 11:15 PM

you agree with yourself, right?

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2012 12:55 AM

^ 12:55 thinks he's smart, but is actually dumb as fuck right there

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2012 5:40 AM

Hey 2:15, 1:09 here. To be clear, yeah wish I made it Tuesday. Sounds like it was a great show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2012 10:38 AM

5:40 is that all you say fuckface?

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2012 12:39 PM

Gotta love little brats from Chelsea that just don't know when to shut the fuck up during a concert.

Fuck, Japandroids at MHOW was almost ruined entirely by those fucktards behind me if the dude next to me didn't happen to punch him in the chest to shut him up.

Posted by Sam | August 4, 2012 2:19 AM

Funny this concert is being mostly discussed based on crowd volume.

I'm just glad that in this day & age a band can still get back to what is really important - playing real instruments and repeating the same musical figure over and over and over and over and over ad over again.

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2012 10:57 PM

ugh faggot music can't wait until this trendy queer shit goes away

Posted by seriously | August 8, 2012 4:40 PM

^
a great catch right here.

Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2012 10:54 AM

I love the hair styles.

Posted by jordon | July 25, 2013 2:47 PM

this is one of the best articles on this website. definitely excellent information and hope to read more. awesome. this is the information i have been searching.

Posted by vue 8 residence | September 25, 2013 10:07 PM

love it! very interesting topics, I hope the incoming comments and suggestion are equally positive. Thanks for sharing information that is actually helpful.

Posted by sea horizon | November 4, 2013 8:56 AM