Posted in music | tour dates on August 27, 2012

by Bill Pearis

Karl Wallinger

Karl Wallinger is bringing his band World Party to America next month for a short East Coast acoustic tour, including a stop in NYC at City Winery on September 17. Tickets are on sale.

Wallinger, the former Waterboys keyboardist who made five more-or-less terrific Beatles-y/Stones-y/Dylan-y World Party albums from 1987 - 2000, suffered a brain aneurysm in 2001. "It's a bit crap when your head explodes," Karl told MOJO in the September '12 issue. "It took four years to be back properly...I had to re-learn things because my eyesight is fucked. For a while I couldn't see the end of the guitar so I was playing quite a few jazz chords. And now I can't see my right hand on the piano unless I look very strangely to the right."

Eyesight problems aside, Wallinger has made an otherwise complete recovery. In April he released Arkeology, a 5-disc World Party rarities set, that also includes a couple new tunes. (Stream it via Spotify.) He also promises a new album in 2013.

All World Party U.S. tour dates are listed below, along with a few classic World Party music videos.

World Party - "Ship of Fools"

World Party - "Way Down Now"

World Party - "Put the Message in the Box"

World Party - "Is it Like Today?"

World Party - 2012 Tour Dates
8/30 - The Cubby Bear - Chicago, IL
9/2 - Third and Lindsley - Nashville, TN
9/6 – Altar Bar - Pittsburgh, PA
9/15 – LarkFest - Albany, NY
9/16 - Tin Angel - Philadelphia, PA
9/17 – City Winery – New York, NY

Wow.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2012 3:24 PM

...and in the meantime, Kurt spent time working as the host of a popular television series named "Mythbusters"

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2012 3:26 PM

and by "on sale," you mean sold out weeks ago

Posted by Derek Jeter | August 27, 2012 3:42 PM

^ Stop juicing or I'll get the Feds involved

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2012 3:51 PM

To idiot Derek Jeter,
It seems as if there is now nothing available but this was not sold out weeks ago. There were seats as of yesterday when I looked.

Also, while this should be a good show, in truth, acoustically is not the best for World Party. Seeing them full on band electric is much better.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2012 4:12 PM

there have not been any available for weeks.

Posted by Derek Jeter | August 27, 2012 5:05 PM

^You are incorrect sir

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2012 5:13 PM

I have no agenda...I love World Party (and agree that the electric is better than the acoustic), if seats became open due to cancellations or something, then I'm bummed to have missed it. I saw this show 2 weeks ago on City Winery's site and no seats anywhere on the grid were for sale. I checked 3 times subsequently including after the BV post and none were available. Maybe someone cancelled and CW put them back for sale but I speak no lie...the show has been sold out for weeks. I am really disappointed as the Highline Ballroom show from last spring was cancelled.

Posted by Derek Jeter | August 27, 2012 5:18 PM

I've had the chorus of "Ship of Fools" in my mind for many years...it's great to give the song a proper listen. What great music.

Posted by Brian | August 27, 2012 7:43 PM

Great band. Too bad it's an acoustic presentation.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2012 9:17 PM

best music must be everlasting and according to this this acoustic is one.
This is really the food of the soul

Posted by Unlimited databases | August 28, 2012 7:45 AM

I saw the Cubby Bear Chicago show last night. The current acoustic duo were fantastic, and delivered a show that greatly exceeded expectations.

Posted by danny | August 31, 2012 9:42 AM

Nobody else here really said it...... so I will.

(even if you alluded to it, guys, you did not get there!

Thank-you so much to Karl & his World Party for a (re-) education in song writing & performance. It has been to long.

Best Of health to you all. Life truly is too short. If only we had half the talent of KW we would all be blessed.

Rock on yow crazy diamonds :)

p.s. loved 'is it like today' almost as much as ' when the rainbow comes' (tonight).

p.p.s The UK is going to be spoiled at the RAH! keep it real over here if you can :)

Posted by stevie walters | September 18, 2012 12:01 AM

Live acoustic presentations can be cool too.

Posted by best acoustic guitars | November 19, 2012 9:15 AM

freaking great stuff.

Posted by jordon | July 23, 2013 1:07 PM

Hey,

Anyone know who the two other members of the band that Karl is touring with this fall (2013)?

I had the pleasure of meeting them in Ottawa, at the Ottawa Folk fest. Very nice (and funny) guy. They were all a laugh, but unfortunately I didn't catch the other two guy's names.

Thanks.