Posted in music | pictures on August 16, 2012

photos by Amanda Hatfield, words by Andrew Sacher

Yeasayer at Music Hall of Williamsburg - 8/15/12
Yeasayer

Yeasayer are about to kick off a full North American tour on Tuesday (8/21), the day their new album, Fragrant World, comes out. That tour hits NYC on September 12 at Central Park Summerstage with Tanlines and Daedelus (tickets), but they played a much more intimate NYC show last night (8/15) at the sold out Music Hall of Williamsburg with Daedelus.

Yeasayer dedicated the majority of the set to Fragrant World, playing 9 of its 11 songs in their 15-song set. So if you went hoping to hear the shimmering psychedelic ramblings of their early career like "Wait for the Summer" or "Sunrise," you'd have found yourself out of luck and instead given the run-of-the-mill R&B of their new album. If you weren't at the show, did you stream it live? If you missed that, the Bowery Presents YouTube channel is hosting an archive of the full show, which you can watch below.

In related news, Yeasayer frontman, Chris Keating, recently spoke to Rolling Stone about how Frank Ocean "is a good new face for the R&B world right now" and R. Kelly is "a terrible piece of shit, a horrible person, really bad all around."

Meanwhile, Yeasayer drummer Sinkane is continuing his residency at Zebulon this Monday (8/20) and the one following that (8/27).

More pictures, video and the setlist from last night's show are below.

Daedalus

Reagan's Skeleton
Ambling Alp

Encore:
Fingers Never Bleed
Tightrope
Folk Hero Shtick

"Yeasayer (who hates R. Kelly & EDM but loves Frank Ocean)---"

Who cares? I mean, seriously. Who cares about this?

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 11:17 AM

Well, all I have to say is that Yeasayer sounds a lot like 311. And 311 was cool in 1997.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 11:22 AM

Sadly, Fragrant World sucks balls!

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 11:23 AM

Don't know what everyone is talking about... I'm loving Fragrant World at the moment.
Not as exciting as some earlier stuff, but solid as hell, a great listen and not in any way run-of-the-mill R & B... i'll be spinning it for a while i think.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 12:10 PM

Meanwhile Pitchfork saying Yeasayer are "trying to jockey alongside Grimes & Purity Ring" might be their most pathetic claim since "Radiohead influenced by James Blake."

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 12:10 PM

I read Pitchfork the same way I read Fox News. Just to humor myself

Posted by AnonHUMMUS | August 16, 2012 12:22 PM

^ LULZ yeah no

Go back to sleep troll

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 12:30 PM

band has terrible jams

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 12:37 PM

Sinkane is not in Yeasayer anymore.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 12:40 PM

I really liked the first album but they lost me after that. I seriously don't know what these guys are trying to accomplish musically.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 12:47 PM

12:30 = Butt-hurt Pitchfork devotee

Oh, and no one takes anybody who uses the word "troll" seriously, especially if you are over the age of seven. Sorry, trendie.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 1:02 PM

Pitchfork is like rolling stone now.

They are way off on 75% of what's good.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 1:55 PM

hahaa.....this band, they're like Scissor Sisters?

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 2:02 PM

1:02 = utter fail. go suck a bag of dicks, pencil neck hipster.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 2:15 PM

@1:02

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 2:21 PM

^I am not 1:02, but this guy really is a fuckin nerd.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 2:38 PM

"I am 12:30. My comment was directed at the leftie propaganda comment. I could give a fuck about Pitchfork. I do give a fuck about lies, however, and how liars never see their own."

Dey tooook 'er jobs!

"As for your anger and dismissal, that's OK. I've seen you post nearly every day on here and disregard most every word you write. I am actually not even typing this to you, but to others who might read through the thread and not understand why I wrote what I did."

How do you even know who Anonymous is, eh?

"Have a nice day, troll. Oh, is that not a trendy enough name for you? If the bridge fits ..."

Tell your mom I said hi, and she can keep you up for another 1/2 hour past your bedtime. :)

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 2:48 PM

Just one drummer now?

Boosayer ... Boo

I really dug both albums. Jam of first and melodies of second.

Haven't listened to the new one yet.

I'm sure all are thrilled by my update and pointless opinion.

And if anyone is still giving fucks out. I'd like one please ..thanks.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 3:01 PM

^serious question: are you gay?

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 3:12 PM

^serious question mr. no space between the hat character and the snark - do you have a life at all?

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 3:17 PM

3:12: I believe 3:17/3:01's answer translates to "yes".

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 3:26 PM

Eight songs from "Fragrant World," not nine. The title track was left off the album.

Posted by John | August 16, 2012 3:38 PM

I think the pitchfork review is accurate. This album is safe and boring for Yeasayer. The first two were excellent.

Did anyone else think the sound was mixed poorly at MHOW last night too? It was a weak show last night compared to their other NY shows.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 3:41 PM

Nope. The sound was great, singing was spot on, they used a bit more playback then usually. The new album has at least 4-5 really good tracks. Haters- take a listen and you ll see.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 3:53 PM

Weak show. Weak sound

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 4:15 PM

3:01 here... Thanks 3:17

We are not the same person.

I mean I'm happy and all, but I prefer vaginas

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 4:20 PM

I'm 3:17
I'm very much into the pussy
I think you are protesting a bit too much 3:12.
That is a common deflection tactic among the weak minded and inexperienced.

Just come out already, or jump off a bridge, or play in traffic ... no one cares.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 5:00 PM

^ Sounds like you're a dickless fop with a sterile personality to boot. Great combo! How's Christopher Street treatin' ya lately?

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 5:42 PM

^ That's the best you could come up with Buckeye Transplant Faggot Shrimper Pussy? You really are dumb as fuck. And boring as well. No, you spend all of your time either sucking black men's engorged cocks (and swallowing deep), or thinking about doing as much. Sucks to be you, one who has no life apart from being used like a rag by homosexuals with more self respect and honesty than you. :-) Truth hurts don't it? SMH @ you silly child. LOL @ you.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 6:10 PM

c'mom, let's keep it real... there couldn't be very many straight men in that audience.

This I believe:

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 6:10 PM

AWGH THE CROWD WAs TTEEEEEEHHHHRRRIIUHBLE!!1 WWWAAAAAAAHHHHH

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 6:14 PM

Who says ANYONE commenting on this thread was in this audience? I come here just to call out that faggot Buckeye Shrimper for the dishonest, shit for brains with no self awareness that she is. Apart from that, I could care less about whatever band has captured the minds of impressionable children this week. It's all boring, just like the Shrimping douche amirite

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2012 6:16 PM

All comments proof that hipsters and one dimensional metal heads are stuck in adolescent mentality bickering back and forth like vapid idiots trying to prove their own worth.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2012 2:36 AM

^ hipster

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2012 9:47 AM

identity addictions ... same ole' same ole'

3:01

Posted by Burg | August 17, 2012 10:02 AM

Finally taking a listen to Fragrant World.

I actually like a lot of what I hearing so far.

I think they are just really good songwriters .. I usually cringe at those neon,candy- coated,lipstick type synth sounds (not sure how to describe it .. it reminds me of neon colors ..brash / harsh) and drums .. but rhythmically this shit is deceptively complex. Same for the they way they structure their arrangements.

I have a feeling it's the gtr player's influence which keeps me interested. He writes cool shit.

I do wish they would get back to some of that organic stuff they were doing back in 2008.

Posted by Burg | August 17, 2012 10:22 AM

sinkane is fresh yo

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2012 11:08 PM

Hi there, You have done a great job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m sure they will be benefited from this web site.

Posted by jocuri | August 31, 2012 5:23 AM

Looking at this I cannot wait till their Rumsey Playfield set. Just copped Fragrant World on vinyl - the greatest buy! My next buy is definitely gonna be Two Door Cinema Club. Their new album shows so much maturity and growth as songwriters and a band as a whole. Check em out.

Posted by Bob | September 11, 2012 1:18 PM

looks like a super fun show.

Posted by jordon | July 23, 2013 4:24 PM