Posted in comedy | music | pictures on September 22, 2012

photos by David Andrako, words by Andrew Frisicano

Phillip Glass & Frank Ocean
Philip Glass and Tyondai Braxton
Frank Ocean

The first ATP NY festival within New York City limits, also known as "I'll Be Your Mirror USA", kicked off Friday night (9/21) at Pier 36 in Manhattan. The opening night featured a typically eclectic mix of acts: comedians Kurt Braunholer, Hannibal Buress and Janeane Garofalo, and musicians Lightning Bolt, Edan the DJ (filling in for Lee Ranaldo And Leah Singer, who canceled for "unresolvable technical issues"), Philip Glass and Tyondai Braxton (they played together), and Frank Ocean. Glass (piano) and Braxton (guitar, then synth) kept their set on the short side, performing Glass's "Étude No. 1" followed by No. 2 and No. 10 (which elicited cheers from the audience when announced). Quite a few people no doubt came just for the Glass performance, perhaps as a companion to his Einstein on the Beach opera currently running at BAM, but those same people seemed open to the following set by Frank Ocean (who had plenty of his own devotees in the house). Ocean, backed by a rich-sounding four-piece, played his way through a mostly Channel Orange set, with some Nostalgia/ultra songs thrown in and new opening track "Summer Remains." His songs, crisp on record, lend themselves to a live-band staging and the musicians dug into the grooves adding some supremely funky moments to the already hooky tracks. You can see his full setlist below.

The organizers did their best to give Pier 36, an expo space on the East River, a cozy feel for the festival. The two-stage set up features one platform outside, facing away from the FDR highway and surrounded by food trucks and porta potties. Inside, the massive hall was outfitted with a layer of carpet and couches and chairs along the walls for those needing a rest (this weekend's schedule runs 12 hours each day). Along the water, the Queen of Hearts (with a movie screen on board) was docked next to another outdoor area out back. Movies run all day, and there are beanbags in there, but you might want to stay away if you get seasick easily.

One girl we talked to in the crowd was in town from the UK and bought tickets just to see Frank Ocean for the first time. But she got there in time to see Lightning Bolt who, like the rest of the music before Frank on the bill, she ended up despising. Kudos to ATP for even getting her in front of a noise rock band though.

ATP day two, which fest co-curator Greg Dulli's band the Afghan Whigs is co-headlining along with The Roots, is already underway. Check out the slightly-outdated schedule HERE, and a picture of the current schedule (which you can print) below. Schedules are also available at the door, AS ARE TICKETS.

More pictures from day one, and Frank's full setlist, below...

ATP

5. "Crack Rock"
6. "Swim Good"
7. "Strawberry Swing"
8. "Lovecrimes"
9. "Novacane"
10. "Pyramids"

effin weak!! Cant believe this is ATP!!?? What an utter disappointment. I thought it was a joke but once seeing the actual stage under the freaking highway!! Sad!

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2012 2:35 PM

Wrong. Last night was fantastic.

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2012 2:43 PM

And from Andrew's words i suspect that might be the case with him too. ATP's "typically eclectic mix of acts"? that's HOGWASH !

But kudos Andrew for finally assembling the courage to talk to a girl!
Always a sign of good journalism when you incorporate the conversations with girls you hit on into your report...

More important, any word on attendence?
Was it somewhat full? After never missing an ATP minute before, i'm skiping yesterday and today and will go just for tomorrow's line up. Almost no tickets for sale on CL, that means poor showing at the box office.

Posted by ME | September 22, 2012 3:19 PM

"Bye bye ATP, for three yearsyou've given me the best days of my music life, but then you betrayed us all on the jersey shore."

Cue the violins.

Geez...relax "ME." This ain't a soap opera.

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2012 3:27 PM

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2012 3:32 PM

Catskills are a pain

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2012 3:46 PM

too bad we cant spend $300 for 3 days of accommodations, music, and random entertainment like at the real ones

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2012 4:00 PM

Were there cars running on that freeway above, surely not right?

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2012 4:02 PM

"But kudos Andrew for finally assembling the courage to talk to a girl!"

Andrew lives with his girlfriend who was also with him at ATP, and also talking to the girl about the festival.

#justforTheRecord

Posted by I was there too | September 22, 2012 4:13 PM

GET. OVER. YOURSELF.

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2012 4:14 PM

"What 3:19 said. There's no way this comes close to the Catskills shows. Those really were some of the best shows I'll probably ever see."

so what. This is something different. If you want a fest in the Catskills, book it yourself you entitled prick.

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2012 4:15 PM

A disaster and any attempt to sugar coat it is just plain stupid. It was very poorly sold. Please be aware that most of the people saying how great it was got comp tickets. That includes Andrew and his gf. Oh and to one of the comments above, there have bene plenty of tix available on craigslist.

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2012 4:44 PM

I heard Pitbull is curating next year.

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2012 4:49 PM

Explain to me what makes ATP such an amazing time. In all seriousness.

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2012 5:01 PM

The hummus is fantastic.

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2012 5:04 PM

You can't judge ATP by the lineup. The enjoyment is like 75% "atmosphere" and 25% about if you like the bands or not. The Catskills shows were amazing because of everything NOT the music, and they also had the added benefit of getting great bands.

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2012 5:28 PM

nerd convention

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2012 5:57 PM

Was there last night and did not see all the things advertised like other bands. Frank Oceans set seemed like a private show the crowd was that sparse. I had friends who had no idea Ocean was playing and ran to the venue. They didn't do a great job advertising. The festival was very comfortable I must say but I only saw performers on the main stage inside

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2012 7:08 PM

Great fest. Always consistent. Hope they are way more organized next time.

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2012 7:25 PM

Asbury Park was a great location for ATP, there, I said it. I'd like them to go back there some year hopefully.

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2012 9:02 PM

has frohawk been spotted yet?

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2012 9:24 PM

The pier sucked and the crowd sparse with apathetic hipsters, will be back with the right bill in Asbury Park

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2012 9:53 PM

Did Janeane Garofalo make an "under the bridge" comment to segue into a routine about the Red Hot Chili Peppers' sexism?

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2012 10:59 PM

where is frohawk? seems like less coverage about him here.

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2012 11:07 PM

Frank Ocean's set was short and he was late. Many of the people I talked to came for Frank Ocean. I came to the show to see Hannibal Burress, Philip Glass, and Frank Ocean. Ocean was the only disappointment.

Posted by eric | September 23, 2012 1:19 AM

Did the iPods play? That is a band with REAL diversity from track to track.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 1:27 AM

Frank Ocean after party was nuts. It was like Caligula meets Blackula. I can barely walk today.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 1:41 AM

I hate to admit it, but I have to admit--yes, I simply MUST admit--that I laughed at 1:27!

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 1:41 AM

People here are negative but 1:27 actually made me laugh.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 1:53 AM

ATP, whatevs. The real action last night was the secret The Chick Pees show Todd P put on.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 1:57 AM

it's THEE chick pees

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 2:03 AM

Was there humus there

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 2:25 AM

Uh, let me see. . . YES.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 3:07 AM

I like the Jareane Garolfo, yay, fun knite had by all!

Posted by s26r | September 23, 2012 3:09 AM

mercurie lownge

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 7:25 AM

4.00. Try like $1200 for three days of music, accommodations, etc.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 10:09 AM

This seems like a lot of comments/opinions from people who aren't attending. It's not that bad, I'd return here next year. If this lineup had been in Asbury I wouldn't have gone. Here I picked up tickets dirt cheap on clist.

Outdoor stage has been surprisingly great -- sound overwhelms the traffic except for the comedians and Jose Gonzalez. They should simply avoid putting quieter acts there in the future. It's a really fun stage otherwise.

Movies on the boat are great, much better then the Berkeley. The boat is a nice add.

The crowd seems ok in size - I don't think it's all comps like someone above wrote. If I had paid full price Friday nights lineup would have made me feel ripped off but Saturday was great and I'm looking forward to today.

Agree with the other comments that it's a slightly rough space to be at for 12-14 hours. 1 or 2 other activities might be nice, or a hotel close to the venue that's doing stuff. There's a no re-entry sign that's silly, the wrong attitude and not even enforceable hopefully they'll realize that's ridiculous next year.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 10:12 AM

Finally some fucking truth

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 10:19 AM

As a three-time attendee, while I'll always miss Kutcher's, this isn't nearly as bad as I feared it would be. For one, security is incredibly relaxed. Definitely an improvement over Jersey in that regard. Also, the crowd is still really polite, and open to hearing things they're unfamiliar with. I wish it were outside of the city, and that the lineup were stronger, but I'd still gladly go again (for full price) were a similar lineup and experience on the table for 2013.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 10:58 AM

Why are there no after parties this year? So lame

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 11:42 AM

Nerd convention.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 11:58 AM

After the disastrous lead up to the fest, I was equally dissapointed at rolling in on Friday and seeing the stage under a highway. Having Lee Renaldo cancel left Friday totally unbalanced as well and the Frank Ocean show was clearly a money grab to justify the festival. The guy is super talented but I don't go to ATP to hear 17 yr old girls scream. Hugely obstructed views and a lot of other crap left me on the brink of writing the whole thing off (bathrooms destroyed, not enough trash cans, general disorganization of the staff)

I have to admit though, Saturday was a great rebound. I really liked almost every band even though I didn't know most of them. Dirty Three killed it and the sound quality was great at both stages. Totally forgot I was under the FDR...

Might even go back next year.

Posted by All tomorrow's parking lots | September 23, 2012 12:14 PM

All joking aside, this is the type of festival that would really benefit from the iPods playing. The earlier ATP festivals were known for their diversity -- that, in addition to the novel location, was one of the major draws. The line up at this iteration is diverse in a lot of ways but seems to have more blatant cash grabs, like Frank Ocean. I recognize the need to have a "name," but maintaining diversity is key. The iPods are clearly a "name" but have diversity from track to track. I would not be surprised to see them headline maybe Friday night next year. Just my 2 cents.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 1:36 PM

It's sad that you have that much time on your hands 1:36.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 2:16 PM

Hate to admit it, but 1:36 actually made me laugh.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 2:46 PM

1:36 I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the iPods have broken up and have virtually no chance of ever reforming :(

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 3:25 PM

It Dinosaur Jr can reform, there's hope for the iPods.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 6:06 PM

Whoa, 216 why the hate? Someone spent thirty seconds writing something funny -- no need to diss!

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 8:26 PM

Whoa 8:26 and all your other guises. You are a fucking tool and a played out one at that. We all know your idiotic pattern already. Make the ipod joke. Then comment that you laughed pretending to be someone else. Then castigating anyone who rightfully calls you a moron with some form of "it's just a joke, why the hate"

Sadly it is old hat at this point. The truly funny thing is how much of a fucking pathetic loser you are to continue it. Now that is comical.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 8:50 PM

I don't find it terribly amusing myself either, to be entirely honest. But you know what? It's a joke, and a harmless one at that. Let fun be had by those that will have it.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 10:21 PM

^ RIght loser troll, another one of your retorts. At some point hopefully you will get a life.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 10:45 PM

8:50 is a Rhodes scholar.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 10:55 PM

More like a Colossus of Rhodes.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 11:04 PM

wish this was back in asbury!

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 11:46 PM

Negative comments here.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 12:15 AM

I think em-ee3:19 pretty much lost all credibility (or outed him(her)self as a "cool-cat"-trendy-boy-hipster when he(she) started off with this:

"NEW RULE: if you had never been to any of the three years at the catskills, your opinion doesn't count."

How ironic (ya GET IT?) that whenever I see or hear those last 4 words, I immediately tune out.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 9:25 AM

Negative comment
Negative comment
Joke
Negative comment about joke
Retort
Negative commet
Hey, I really like ATP
Negative comment
Negative comment
Joke
Joke about joke
Negative comment about joke about joke
Retort
Negative comment
Negative comment

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 10:14 AM

This was a disaster leading up to Friday. In fact, besides the comedians and the Glass/ Braxton collaboration, Friday was extremely weak. F--K Frank Ocean! OK! Douchey bros swooning and singing along?? WTF??! I'm glad at least that ATP was able to take in a lot of cash from his performance.

Saturday and Sunday were a total rebound! Both days offered a wide array of awesome non-stop music! Dirty Three, GY!BE, Jose, Afghans, etc....they all killed it on stage!

Crossing my fingers that this festival continues next year and hopefully by then all the creases will have been ironed out. Cheers ATP, thanks for another great weekend!

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 11:14 AM

8:50 sure woke up on the wrong side of the bed. It's a joke, lighten up. Geesh!

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 11:33 AM

^ OMG you so funny, bro! I totally knew you bein funny. So bro, where do you live so I can bring my crew over and we can party? I think you be fun to party with, bro. So funny man, where you live?

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 11:54 AM

^why do you hate my freedom?

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 11:57 AM

Whoa--wait--how did Philip Glass's Website comments section turn into a flaming war? Which one of you is 'anonymous'? Is it just one mental patient talking to himself?
OK, I wasn't there. I sure would have been if I could have been.
But my point is that Philip Glass put himself out there in a totally experimental position. Who does that? What musician or composer is willing to abandon his (now) well established & (now) lauded, comfortable, 'really didn't have to do that', position to do something so new & experimental.
That's what you anonymous' flames should be discussing here.
I know ATP has it's own Website. Go have your flaming war on that site.
Do any of you have a comment on the Braxton/Glass set?

Posted by Fran | September 24, 2012 6:45 PM

OK, I somehow hit a link--I'm not on PG's Website, I'm on The Village Voice--my bad.
I would still appreciate a comment on PG set. Please no flaming, but if you must, I will just ignore you.

Posted by Fran | September 24, 2012 7:30 PM

Welcome to the Village Voice back pages ... we're waiting for you, oohhh

Posted by Hot Asian Love 4U | September 24, 2012 8:39 PM

Hey girl,

Why are you wasting your time on the Brooklyn Vegan commenters? Put on that Steve Reich/Phillip Glass mix cd that I made you and come back to bed. Show Papa what you got.

-Fran's not so secret lover

Posted by Fran's not so secret lover | September 25, 2012 12:31 AM

The Village Voice is a shrimp scampi ass kebob look-at-me-then piss n' pillage. At least that's what I was convinced to think by utterly nobody.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2012 12:56 AM

First of all, the ATP team are creative geniuses. They moved from the Catskills to Asbury and the from Asbury to Pier 36 because, I am sure, they wanted to give attendees the best possible experience. Monticello was amazing, but the place was disgusting, mold and mildew everywhere. Barry Hogan has talked about this in interviews and has stated that they would go back if Kutshers got their act together. Asbury didn't have enough accommodation options, which sucked. Four months before the fest was supposed to happen out there, no one could find anywhere within reasonable cab distance to sleep at. Since most people at these ATPs live in NYC, they moved it to Pier 36, which is on the water and under the FDR. UNDER THE FDR. How amazing was it to watch Thee Oh Sees rock out under that steel highway? The sound was incredible, the location unique and relaxed. People were sleeping on couches and laying on the carpeted floors as Tall Firs lullabied us through our hangovers, as the sun crept in through the doors facing the East River. This is something that we wouldn't have been able to do anywhere else. It's nice to go to a fest where the show goers aren't trend-seeking hipsters, but instead smart and cool urbanites looking for a special experience. Speaking of unique experiences, did anyone see the Fortune Teller? That was solid.

So were The Roots. They fucking killed it.
The comedians were all stellar.
Goodspeed was fantastic.
Frank Ocean.. meh. That guy is totally overrated.
The boat bit was perfect. It was nice being rocked on the river, watching an enormous moon rise into the sky.

What I don't understand is why almost no one even heard about the fest. I know that they aren't into corporate sponsorship, but they need to do some advertising or else they get weaker turnouts like that of this weekend.

ATP forever.

Posted by VV | September 25, 2012 1:07 AM

VV, either you were paid by ATP to combat all the negative reviews of this weekend or you are just a seriously hugh idiot.

Your rant smacks of someone who never goes to shows.

Seriously go to bed and shut the fuck up. ATP was a disaster this year.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2012 2:22 AM

Barry said they would go back to the Catskills if they renovated... Barry's also told 237 other people he's in debt to that their check is totally in the mail, bro. I'm sure the truth is that they still owe Kutshers a ton of money.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2012 12:54 PM

hey 'anonymous' asshole at 2:22,

go fuck yourself, since no one else will.

i've been going to atp shows all over the world for years, including all of the ny and nj editions. some are of course better than other, but this year's wasn't a disaster, the turnout was. two very different things.

if your criticism of a festival is to simply say that it sucked and be total asshole, then you shouldn't have been at the fest anyway. they have a no assholes policy, but somehow you slipped in. i guess you're right then.. parts of it were a disaster, starting with security, because apparently they let you in.

glad you won't be going back.

p.s. if only atp paid me. it's best fest ever and i'd work for them any day.

Posted by VV | September 25, 2012 4:25 PM

my only criticism is that the mexicue truck was there only on Friday. wtf. anyway u entitled nerds need to get a life and move on.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2012 10:37 PM

Lol at the people behind ATP being creative geniuses. Creative accountants, definitely.

Posted by Anonymous | September 26, 2012 12:24 AM

creative grave-mice

Posted by Anonymous | September 26, 2012 1:36 AM

Venue sucked.

Bands were great, as usual. Particularly The Roots, The Oh Sees, Charles Bradley, The Dirty Three, Godspeed, Jose Gonzalez, and the mother fucking HOT SNAKES, who tore the place down.

They just need a better venue and even better lineup next year.

Posted by Anonymous | September 26, 2012 4:48 PM

iPods

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2012 7:08 AM

The Roots blew. I walked the fuck out. Not hard to do after the trifecta of Dirtbombs > Lanigan > Afghan Whigs. After that The Roots were kind of a major let down.

I had never heard The Make Up before ... where the hell have I been? That shit was fun, along with Lightening Bolt and Thee Oh Sees. Lots of good times to balance out the Bummer-core bands (Tall Firs, etc.)

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2012 8:42 AM

SCIENTIST AND THE IGGMISTER????a can anyone ever top that?

Posted by jimitits | September 30, 2012 1:25 AM

iPods

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2012 2:25 AM

Sounds like people who went liked it and people who didn't go didn't like it.

I like Afghan Whigs/Mark Lanegan. Do you guys like Afghan Whigs/Mark Lanegan? I do. I really do!

Posted by Basking in the majestic glow of anonymous vibes of joy | October 8, 2012 4:08 PM

I love the green shirt she is wearing.

Posted by mike | July 17, 2013 3:58 PM