Posted in music | pictures on September 17, 2012

photos by Dana (distortion) Yavin

The Jesus & Mary Chain

Truthfully, I'm not doing this show any justice in writing. It far exceeded any expectations I had of the band live, which were admittedly lofty. It's difficult to write about, and even more difficult to articulate The Jesus and Mary Chain's significance to me personally without becoming entirely hijacked with feeling, both melancholy and marvelous. Known for channeling lyrics of love and detachment into cathartic, paranoid crescendos of noise, the result ensued in a hypnotic array of mantra-like sounds, rich and sweet in their poignancy. Just like honey, you could say. -[Brightest Young Things]
The above review comes from The Jesus and Mary Chain's DC show at 9:30 Club, which is pretty much the opposite of BBG's thoughts from night one at Irving Plaza on 9/13. Regardless of opinion, second night at Irving Plaza (on 9/14) was pretty much a carbon-copy of the first, on paper anyway. Featuring support appearances from The Vandelles and The Psychic Paramount, The Jesus & Mary Chain's setlist at the sell-out show was identical to the night before as well.

Pictures from the final show at Irving Plaza are below, alongside the setlist.

The Jeus & Mary Chain SETLIST 9/14 2012
Just Like Honey
Reverence
----
The Hardest Walk
Taste Of Cindy
Never Understand

What a drag it is to grow old.

Posted by PepperSteak | September 17, 2012 10:52 AM

the vandelles totally blow as a trio.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 10:55 AM

William's wearing the same BBC t-shirt 2 nights in a row just depressed the hell out of me.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 10:56 AM

Guess what, peppersteak, chances are that they look and live better than you will when and if you reach their age.

Didn't have a chance to comment on BBG's nonsense about the thursday show so i'm saying it now, Fred. Do us a favor and go back to your idiotic metal world. Your childish fantasies on how JAMC were supposed to sound like remind me of my very young self getting so disappointed from how bad cocteau twins sounded live when i finally got to see them. Had you seen JAMC in their hey days, with their 20-25 minutes sets, you would know that thursday show was nothing to bitch about.

Posted by ME | September 17, 2012 11:28 AM

JESUS AND MARY CHAIN > any new bands from Brooklyn.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 11:54 AM

Hey "ME". I assure you that you aren't the only BV reader that's been around the block. I've also seen both JAMC and Cocteau Twins in their glory days and what JAMC is doing now IS something to bitch about, depending on your frame of reference. Back then you might have only got 20 minutes...but it was full of drunken emotion and chaos. I don't blame JAMC for having to pay the bills...I'm just saying that people have a right to complain about the current live shows by what was once such an influential band if they want to.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 11:58 AM

'peppersteak'? is that what 60-year olds call younguns? That being said, ME is right... He's got a strange way with words, but right nonetheless.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 11:59 AM

I loved the Friday show. I went in with low expectations and was ready to be happy if I saw more than five songs, but in the end it was a great show and I got to rock out to my favorite band for a whopping hour and 15! They played my favorite song! 14-year-old me was ecstatic!

Sure, William got a little messy on some of the songs, but that just made me laugh. Their brotherly antics made me laugh. I was behind the soundboard and the sound was great. I thought they had great energy for a band who hasn't played much together in the past 15 years or so, and who generally ignored their audiences when they did play. Overall the crowd energy could have been better, but yay to the folks who started a (small) pit during "Never Understand."

Are we not lucky we got to see them at all? Shit, now I'm going to zen out. ZEN HULK SAYS ENJOY SHOW.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 12:15 PM

peppersteak...lulz

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 12:17 PM

If you pay $50 and are unsatisfied with a show, you can write about it on the internet.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 12:17 PM

^but if what you were really looking for was an old JAMC show (where they'd fight with each other and leave early) then you should spend your $50 on a WWE event. They can't break up every night of a tour (anymore).

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 12:26 PM

The Jabib and Mamoun Hummus.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 12:36 PM

If William had a beard, tattoos and a pointy guitar, BBG would have given it a five star review.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 12:37 PM

wow, it's amazing that people can judge a show solely on the comparisons to something else entirely from 25 years ago.

It's not 1985 anymore kids. The band has grown up. They just put a re-issue series out of the whole catalogue. What they presented at Irving Plaza was a professional run through of selecions of that catalogue. And it was fantastic. People that were there for the music got what they came for. Those late to the party looky loos that were coming for a riot, are in the wrong country and wrong decade.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 12:46 PM

Was Rockin Daddy in the house?

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 12:50 PM

I saw a few nice hip-thrust dance moves on the stage.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 12:56 PM

the irony here is funny. The whole reason people used to riot at their shows back in the day is because they only played 15 minute sets with their back to the audience. Now they play an hour and fifteen minute set facing the crowd and people complain that they are not dangerous or chaotic enough.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 12:57 PM

Only hipster trendies say "cool" and "hip" lines like "what a drag".

*themoreyouknow*

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 1:05 PM

Dana what happened?? It looks like you were on fire for The Vandelles and The Psychic Paramount sets as the photos rock, BUT the JAMC shots look a bit flat??

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 1:11 PM

1:11--as a photographer, you have to work with that you're documenting. If the event feels flat, it's hard to make it look otherwise.

Posted by Brian | September 17, 2012 3:06 PM

If I had to play the exact same set list night after night after night I'd prolly pay for someone to punch me in the face just to remind me that I am still alive. What a waste of time these has-been are.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 3:33 PM

"I'd prolly pay for someone to punch me in the face just to remind me that I am still alive."

Save your nickel...I'll do it for free 3:33.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 6:14 PM

how do you slur while typing? 'prolly' douche of the day!

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 6:55 PM

No wonder I hear bands say over and over again how much they dislike playing shows in NY..people here are so ungrateful and entitled. So to all the self-ascribed critics, when you're at a show the next time, do everyone else a favor and shut the fuck up and listen to the music! I was at the show at Irving Pl on 9/14 and JAMC sounded amazing, and still look good too, even after years of living it up (but then I can't help but still find Jim hot). JAMC are legends .

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 8:22 PM

The 2o minute sets felt like you were in on the beginnings of something special. They were never a blueprint for a lasting career. Friday was fucking great. Were you really expecting chaos from a band that's almost 30 years old?

I hope they come back soon.

Nice post above. NY crowds are, in the main, shite.

Posted by Johnny | September 19, 2012 8:51 AM

Myself and pretty much everyone I know who has seen them on this tour all over the world thought they were sloppy in a bad way, uninteresting and it was very transparent this was a cash cow tour.

Fuck these dudes and anyone who is defending this shit. You are white knighting for these dudes who are stealing your money. Oh great you are a big fan who saw them way back & they are your fave band, guess what, they're mine too but ill never waste my time with them live again. Better off staying at home with the records and vintage clips on youtube.

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2012 9:55 AM

anybody knows who the current drummer is? I thought Loz was still in the band..

Posted by dan | September 19, 2012 9:57 AM

I think the current drummer is Brian Young, from Fountains of Wayne.

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2012 10:38 AM

I wonder why Loz Colbert wasn't in this tour -- I really liked his work in Ride.

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2012 10:40 AM

JAMC >>>> any fucking ironic mustachioed shitty fucking Brooklyn piece of shit band on their very worst night.

And they were great on 9/14 at Irving Plaza.

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2012 11:42 AM

"Fuck these dudes and anyone who is defending this shit. You are white knighting for these dudes who are stealing your money."

SHADDUP you little trust fund twerp.

JAMC is STEALING our money?

How many people are stealing THEIR MONEY by downloading their music for FREE?

HMMMMMM?

So SHADDUP.

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2012 12:32 PM

Less a review and more ejaculation by a fanboy/man

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2012 12:56 PM

"Less a review and more ejaculation by a fanboy/man"

SHADDUP you little trust fund weinie. Go trim your ironic moustache.

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2012 1:10 PM

"What a drag it is to grow old."

SHADDUP you little trust fund idiot.

Unless you're planning on killing yourself--a development which we can only hope for--you're likely going to be the same age as JAMC someday. Let's see how cool *you* are then.

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2012 1:24 PM

Love love love The Jesus and Mary Lizard.

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2012 2:32 PM

I was at the Friday show and the Webster Hall show in 2007. Both shows were similar in the fact that I found the music to be sloppy. I was going into the Irving Plaza show with low expectations and they were certainly met. I've been a fan since the late 80's and unfortunately never got to see them prior to the 2007 show, so I can't compare. From what I've read they've never been very good live. I won't see them again. Reverence was a total joke. You could barely recognize it. It was almost as if they were drunk. It sounded to me like the bass player couldn't keep time, mainly because the music was all over the place timing wise. I've seen many of my favorite 80's bands reunite. None played as badly as JAMC. Example...Saw the Damned at Irving Plaza not too long ago, and even though they are much older than JAMC they played 100% better.

Posted by Anonymous | September 20, 2012 9:16 AM

Posted by Jones | January 8, 2013 8:24 PM

the shirts are super cool.

Posted by jordon | July 21, 2013 8:57 PM