Posted in music on September 7, 2012

Stipe

R.E.M., who recently described "why President Obama's vision is essential to the notion of equality and democracy in America", posted the following note today:

R.E.M.'s "Losing My Religion" was used in the Fox News coverage of the Democratic National Convention last night. R.E.M. today, through its music publisher, Warner-Tamerlane Music, demanded that Fox News cease and desist from continuing its unlicensed and unauthorized use of the song. Michael Stipe said, "We have little or no respect for their puff adder brand of reportage. Our music does not belong there."
Of course this type of story is becoming more and more common as the election gets closer. Rage Against the Machine recently had something to say about their fan Paul Ryan, and Thin Lizzy's camp wasn't too happy with Paul either. Same with Twisted Sister, and Silversun Pickups.

In related news, R.E.M. recently reunited... for dinner.

I'm almost 100% sure Fox News has purchased the rights to do this - it actually looks bad when artists come out and tell them to stop because it looks petty and snide.

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2012 2:42 PM

^ As opposed to it actually being petty and snide? Which it clearly is?

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2012 2:47 PM

Torture? Corruption? I prefer to move on, not look back. War, Patriot Act, NDAA, Trapwire, ONWARD! Got a suspect, I'll murder him! And his neighbors! Protest? How about a nation-wide crackdown on protesting! How about we militarize the police! Fuck the constitution! Fuck sand niggers! Fuck Yeah! Obama 2012.

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2012 2:53 PM

Jerusalem
8.1%
Jarrod

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2012 2:58 PM

Actually, unfortunately for them the song is over 20 years old. After 20 years they don't need the artist's permission to use it.

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2012 3:31 PM

So people who disagree with an artist politically can't be fans? (I get that this is slightly different since it is using the music in a political context).

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2012 3:37 PM

3:37- if you know it's different, why post?

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2012 3:58 PM

remember when stipey showed his pee pee on the internet? i lost my religion that day.

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2012 4:12 PM

I love that my fellow BVers are conservative. Puts faith into my bones. Maybe we will actually be able to vote this nincompoop out of office.

Anyone see 2016 yet? I thought it was great. Horrifying, but great.

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2012 5:09 PM

I'll probably go see 2016 this weekend. I keep putting it off because it's not like I need any convincing that Obama's an assclown and a miserable failure.

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2012 5:17 PM

haha yea I'm sure that's what most BVers are, very good

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2012 5:21 PM

keep typing to yourself

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2012 5:36 PM

I'm sure the default setting of the majority of BVers is a mindless leftism that a lot of them will eventually grow the fuck out of.

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2012 5:36 PM

Bill Berry should call it.

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2012 7:14 PM

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2012 5:36 PM

Are you joking or lost? Sounds like you grew well into the John Birch society.

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2012 7:23 PM

Hey "anonymous" Copyright is the lifetime of the author plus 70 years,it doesn't magically evaporate after 20 years, permission is still needed.
Even Happy Birthday is still under copyright, and can't be used without royalties paid for commercial use, and license for public performances, anywhere it will be heard by a surrounding of strangers outside the family circle who wants to embarrass the birthday person in a restaurant.

Posted by Ana Noone | September 7, 2012 7:24 PM

"Are you joking or lost? Sounds like you grew well into the John Birch society."

I don't speak imbecile. Care to elaborate in English?

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2012 9:13 PM

How surprising to see those supported by Mommy and Daddy aping their regressive politics - I guess THEY'RE ALL Mitt's children.

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2012 1:21 AM

Regressive? If by that you mean the opposite of a useless progressive, then I accept. If, however, you're one of those idiots who simply asserts that progressive is an inherently virtuous, term rather than the morally-neutral one that it is, then I thank you for the laughs. You're hilariously mindless.

By the way, you can stick the mommy and daddy shit up your ass. You probably grew up in a more financially stable environment than I did. The fact that my circumstances are greatly improved - and undoubtedly much better than yours - as an adult, is purely my doing

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2012 1:39 AM

1:39 has a pretty poor grasp on grammar as well as the english language. When attempting to sound intelligent, please use less commas and lame republican platitudes, you insufferable douche.

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2012 3:01 AM

1:39 does a pretty good job of summarizing the skewed Republican testament to the American experience... A bitter, self-righteous serving of sour grapes that starts with a sweeping generalization of all self-identified progressives/liberals, followed by a vague story of achieving an "undoubtedly" superior financial status with zero outside help.

What is it with people like you, 1:39, that makes you think other people on the internet care about how much money you've supposedly made?

It's all bullshit, and it's bad for ya, folks.

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2012 2:07 PM

"followed by a vague story of achieving an "undoubtedly" superior financial status with zero outside help."

Which hilariously in the case of just about every conservative I have ever seen is complete bullshit. Including Robot Romney and his self serving running mate.

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2012 2:20 PM

If Mitt and Scooter are elected, I may even wind up missing W. and Dick.
Where's Gerald Ford when you need him?

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2012 3:15 PM

Thanks :)

Posted by chat voice | September 9, 2012 3:58 AM

keep being a fucking douche

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2012 2:57 PM

Politics have become like organized sports. Either you're a fan of one team or the other. I love neither team. Both sides talk the same bullshit over and over. We need more political parties.

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2012 2:28 AM

regilion I need to adapt one.

Posted by jordon | July 22, 2013 3:08 PM