Posted in music | pictures on September 14, 2012

by Fred Pessaro // BBG

JAMC at Irving Plaza, 9/13/2012
The Jesus & Mary Chain

The Jesus and Mary Chain played their first of two NYC reunion shows at Irving Plaza last night (9/13), backed by support from The Psychic Paramount and The Vandelles. The band, who also hit Hopscotch on this tour, returns tonight to close out their stay. Unfortunately I arrived shortly before The Jesus and Mary Chain got on stage, so I missed the openers but pictures of the Reid brothers and Co are in this post.

To say that I am a huge fan of JAMC is a bit of an understatement; Psychocandy is one of my favorite records ever. My last experience with them was during their reunion tour in 2007, and I was more than a little disappointed with their "stage show" that night at Webster Hall. That said, their music has meant so much to me over the years, that I decided to give it another go.

But some things are better left in your head. The brothers Reid definitely had a great setlist (see it below), but there was a looseness (a few times they were just plain sloppy) that wasn't befitting a "professional band," let alone one that charges around $50 for their shows and his been around for close to 30 years. That noisy guitar tone that marked those early records is not in the same city, let alone ballpark. And though it seems to fit the persona, Jim Reid's vocal delivery is a hair above full-on sleepwalk.

But all that said, there is nothing taking away from those songs, so despite my misgivings it was still great to hear them open with "Snakedriver" and play classics like "Reverence" and "Just like Honey" (anybody know who sang backing vocals?) though "Sometimes Always" would have been nice (yes, I know that Hope Sandoval isn't exactly the easiest pin down, let alone replace live).

Pictures from Irving Plaza, including the setlist, are below.

Setlist: JAMC at Irving Plaza 9/13/2012
Just Like Honey
Reverence

Encore:
The Hardest Walk
Taste Of Cindy
Never Understand

A "professional" band? Don't you know anything about them? They are what they are and made two of the best albums of all time being that way.

When you went to see the Replacements did you want them to be a "professional" band too?

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 12:46 PM

Lin5anity approved in 1992. Now? Not so much.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 12:47 PM

Emily Blunt sang back-ups on Just Like Honey

Posted by Derek Jeter | September 14, 2012 12:48 PM

soulless performance

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 12:48 PM

The Jesus and Mary Chain will always be cool. Way cooler than anything that has ever come out of Williamsburg. Glasgow. That's the real deal; a place where hipsters get stabbed just for looking stupid.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 1:01 PM

No Jessica Pare....not the same. Bring back the original lineup!

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 1:03 PM

Anyone know what time J&MC hit the stage? How was The Psychic Paramount?

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 1:05 PM

I'm a hipster and I can confirm that when I visited Glasgow for MBV's reunion show, I was stabbed.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 1:06 PM

Better than I expected.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 1:08 PM

This band made one of the greatest albums of all times with "Psychocandy" but they are no longer that band...nor should we expect them to be. Unfortunately, their live show has been over since the mid-90s but you can't blame the Reid brothers for trying to still pay the rent I guess.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 1:12 PM

JAMC at 11pm last night. Openers were an ordeal.

Could've sworn Jim Reid said Emily Blunt - in fact I'm nearly certain he did. Jessica Pare has sang it at other shows.

Posted by Derek Jeter | September 14, 2012 1:12 PM

psychic paramount was fucking incredible. some people were just standing there shaking their heads through their set, though, because apparently it wasn't "pop" enough for them

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 1:14 PM

I remember my father having this band in his CD collection from when I was little.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 1:15 PM

Review is way too harsh. Back in the day, the JAMC would get criticism at too much feedback, too short a set...William's back to the audience, etc.
Yes, the band is diffrent now, and so is the audience. Kids today stand and stare and text...like zombies. Since when did it become cool to go to a show 3 hours before the headliner, claim a spot and stand rooted to the floor? And don't dare invade the space they claim. Lame. The old days everyone was inebriated and out to enjoy and have fun. These kids need something to loosen up a bit...

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 1:32 PM

what time did psychic paramount go on?

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 1:35 PM

Neutral attendee here. Not a huge J & MC fan, but curious and went with some friends. Thought the show was flat and pretty exhausting sonically. They may have been awesome back in the day but nowadays it's The Jesus & MEHry Chain. Psychic Paramount was pretty compelling though.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 1:35 PM

Of course they aren't good anymore. If you didn't see them in the '80s or early '90s then no point seeing them now. I wouldn't waste money to see the Rolling Stones these days either. Those first two records though . . . .

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 1:39 PM

12:55 -- Dad's band is always cool if it's the Jesus & Mary Chain, Joy Division, the Smiths, etc. The question is why does day listen to cooler music than you?

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 1:40 PM

^ Who is Day? You takin' a class in Ebonics or something?

Racist.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 1:47 PM

^
"dad."

Moron.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 1:50 PM

"Those first two records though"

what kind of person doesn't like Automatic or Honey's Dead?!?!

Drum machine Mary Chain was the best.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 1:50 PM

and frankly, Munki fucking rules, too. No one cared when it came out, but it completely holds up.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 1:55 PM

Drank some brew on the train, got one at a bar beforehand, grabbed a brew inside when I got there 2 hours early. Got up front - staked my fucking spot and I'm not going anywhere, then it hits me, had to pissssssssssssssss so bad, but refused to leave spot, didn't want pressure on bladder to ruin seeing JAMC, so just let it go, blissful, dude next to me gave me dirty looks, well fuck off then sweetheart!

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 1:59 PM

"Openers were an ordeal."

Get a F--KING clue...Psychic Paramount are a great band and sound incredible live!

As for JAMC, it was pretty special getting to hear those classic songs played on stage. Really awesome show! Take it for what it is at this point and enjoy!

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 1:59 PM

they were always kind of a snooze live.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 2:00 PM

Were people selling tix outside?

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 2:02 PM

Jim has never moved around much. William still plays great. His guitar is timeless...

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 2:03 PM

CDF in double digits, people.

Don't know if a higher concentration of bros and douches have ever been gathered in one place.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 2:07 PM

"Were people selling tux outside?"

Yes indeed - I opted for the cummerbund over the vest. Rushed decision, possibly regrettable.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 2:07 PM

I got there early enough to get a good spot dead center. Then, right before JAMC, this obese fuck come pushing into the crowd, all sweating and lispy apologizing and smelling like a barn. That wasn't you Fred, was it?

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 2:09 PM

Did you smell my urine hoss? I hope the air you breathed contained some ppb of my urine...

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 2:13 PM

^ I wasn't anywhere near you bro. You looked like a kid I used to beat up weekly, so been there done that
#yaknowhatimean

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 2:17 PM

Only one song from Darklands?

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 2:22 PM

I have never seen a more dead crowd at a crowded show before. Except for the people in the very front, nobody would clap or cheer after a song was done. There was hardly any applause after the main set. i wouldn't have blamed the band for bagging the encore. I had to yell at the girl in front of me who would hold her cell phone up for the first half of every song so she could take the same crappy cell phone picture of Jim Reid. New York crowds are the worst.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 2:43 PM

I don't ever remember them been very energetic at the best of times. Seen them since 86 back in the UK. Didn't go to Webster Hall as I hate that venue but love the Plaza. Possibly the best time I ever saw them was at their most laid back on the Stoned & Dethroned tour with Mazzy Starr in 94 at The Academy. You can't expect the same band today as 94 or 85, that's just mad. Off again tonight. I expect nor want any banter with the crowd. It's not Jim and William's way.

Posted by Jon | September 14, 2012 2:46 PM

JMC went on at 11 and sounded good enough to make me happy, having last seen them in '90 and '92. tickets were sold outside. psychic paramount was fantastic (despite their bizarre fog machine obsession) and i'm looking forward to their set at IBYM. i found the vandelles to be on the less exciting side.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 2:47 PM

2:17, why such a bully bro? "Been there done that" - you would smell the kid's urine weekly? #urinesniffingbully

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 2:48 PM

You say Psychocandy is one of your favorite records - have you ever actually listened to it? It was sloppy and noisy as hell, and that's what made it so great. Their bassist had two strings and Bobby ciuld barely play. Saw them in Philly and they were great - sloppy, yeah, but you're forgetting they've toured about once in the last fifteen years. Jim's voice was perfect - exactly as you hear on record, the rest of the band was tight and Williams was as loud and feedbacky as you'd want him.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 2:54 PM

"Drum machine Mary Chain was the best."

I hope Bobby Gillespie personally kicks your ass for that statement 1:50(2).

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 2:56 PM

I was in the front row, and I'm not sure who the girl was, but it definitely wasn't Emily Blunt.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 3:00 PM

"It was sloppy and noisy as hell"

Their live shows around that period might have been sloppy but the 1st album itself is not. It's perfectly controlled sonic chaos, which they have never been able to replicate live...even back then. One of the problems is that their live show is NOT noisy as hell, especially nowadays.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 3:00 PM

I post British ex-pats that post on BV. So easy to spot, so upside down in every observation and conclusion. Thanks guys, I needed a laugh today.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 3:06 PM

Their live shows are much more loud and noisy this go around.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 3:20 PM

"so UPSIDE DOWN"

3:06 - Other than your unintentional pun, your comment makes no sense mate.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 3:21 PM

The crowd was full of pussies. People didn't dance and got angry when they got bumped into. Don't stand in the middle of the dance floor if you want to just stand and watch. Bunch of wimps that didn't have the balls to see em earlier in their career. Two assholes actually started a fight because they got bumped. At that point it was almost a real JAMC show.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 3:22 PM

^ douchey bro is douchey

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 3:34 PM

LULZ @ 3:21, the diviner of intents and hidden motives

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 3:44 PM

^Tosser

JAMC rock!!!

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 3:45 PM

i couldn't believe they got Michelle Obama to come onstage and sing Just Like Honey. So cool

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 3:50 PM

3:50 yea, with her honey-drippin' behind and all!

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 3:51 PM

I don't recall the Jesus Lizard being this mellow. Guess Yow's getting older.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 4:04 PM

3:21/3:45 = pathetic wanna-be actor trying to sound English.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 4:04 PM

Thanks for the review. The 2007 show was very disappointing, so I'm glad you let me know not to try to get tix for tonight.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 5:07 PM

most bands got on before 10pm @ irving, webster, bowery, etc... for the chain to go on at 11pm was just inflated ego... who needs to see two crap bands and stand around waiting for an 11 o'clock show... they're not that big and the hype is just not that strong...

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 5:10 PM

5:10 wow you must be new to the live music thing around these here parts.

Back in the day when the J&MC chain first came around you'd be lucky if the headliner at any of these clubs (Irving, The RITZ, etc.) would go on before 1 or 2 am. Back in the 80's the OPENER usually went on at 11.

You're complaining that a headliner goes on at 11 at a rock club?

How lame can you possibly be? go crawl back to anytown USA where you came from be in bed on the early side and leave the rock n roll to the adults.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 5:45 PM

1:15, you are still little

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 5:49 PM

Hi I'm new to the live music thing around these parts, what time do headlining bands generally go on? It's not too late is it? I wouldn't want to be tired for work and all.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 11:21 PM

"Since when did it become cool to go to a show 3 hours before the headliner, claim a spot and stand rooted to the floor? And don't dare invade the space they claim. Lame. The old days everyone was inebriated and out to enjoy and have fun. These kids need something to loosen up a bit..."

you're exactly the type of asshole at shows that i wish was dead. i'm there to watch a band, not bro out w/u & your dipshit drunkard friends. die in a ditch.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2012 2:52 AM

I have a long and detailed review of my experience...
1. Psychic Paramont was the highlight of the show. I never heard them before, but they blew me away. But many people in the crowd, (hip 40 year olds) were clearly not ready for the heaviness they were unloading.
2. The crowd was indeed very unenthusiastic. No rocking out, no applauding, no yelling, etc... It kinda felt like a corporate dinner party.
3. I was never a HUGE jesus and mary chain fan, but I can tell something was missing. The performance was bland and not really exciting. BBG was accurate with his review.
4. Sound at Irving is good, I always liked that venue.

Peace out my fellow hummus eaters!

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2012 4:41 AM

When was the last time I ate a good hog's-heft of something? 's been too long. Too long, brotherchirp.

Posted by motherchirp | September 15, 2012 5:14 AM

Will some one please tell Jim to shut the fuck up. 27 years of J&MC gigs, I never heard him yap so much before. Social Retard, my arse. Fridays gig, all you could ask for from the band. Great set, great sound, wish more good bands would use Irving Plaza, Coming on to Dire Straits????

Great of them to be able to reunite Saint Winifred's Girls School Choir after all these years to sing Just Like Honey.

Went with no expectations, left happy.

Posted by Johnny | September 15, 2012 12:50 PM

i saw jamc in 1986. now i live in my parents basement.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2012 1:19 PM

Pretty disappointed with last nights show...the sound was horrific...definitely wasn't worth $50. Oh well, still love them:)

Posted by Stacy | September 15, 2012 4:18 PM

Irving Plaza and New York concert crowds suck. It's a horrible venue. The last 6 songs were stellar. I guess it takes them that long to warm up. The opening bands played waaaay too long.

Posted by Johnny2 | September 15, 2012 9:28 PM

I saw them back in the 80's at the Ritz and thought they were awful. I saw them again at Webster Hall in 07 and thought they were awful again. Not sure why I went Thurs but I thought they were very good. The sound was off on a couple of songs but on the floor up front it sounded great. Maybe the best version of "Reverence" ever!

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2012 9:41 PM

I wish more headliners went on at 11(or later). I hate having to go out early to see bands. My how times have changed in NYC!

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2012 9:44 PM

Psychic Paramount thought they were on stage at The Cock when it was on 13th Street, standing there masturbating for 45 minutes.

Posted by johnny | September 15, 2012 9:45 PM

iPods

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2012 5:53 AM

Boring old people.

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2012 8:10 AM

Better and louder than the Webster Hall shows.

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2012 11:29 PM

Saw them back in the day. Glad I didn't see another bad reunion like so many like the Pistols show at Roseland. BAD.

Posted by David | September 17, 2012 12:19 AM

I saw jamc in 1986. Now I rent out apartments I own to people like 1:19's mom.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 8:36 AM

12:19 - Anyone with half a brain would have known to stay away from the Sex Pistols reunion.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 8:55 AM

Jamc is so last millenium. If any musicians had balls, they'd form a band called the Mohammed and his 12 Year Old bride Chain. That would be edgy. And, pork-free.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 10:00 AM

I saw JAMC a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago, but did not see them at this show.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 11:01 AM

Teenage Lust sounded amazing!

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 12:06 PM

I need to see this.

Posted by jordon | July 21, 2013 9:01 PM

Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for the informative post.
Viral Stuff and Trending News