Posted in music on September 23, 2012

by Bill Pearis

Ty Segall at The Well (via BrooklynVegan Instagram)
Ty Segall

New-ish Bushwick outdoor venue The Well had a SXSW vibe to it on Saturday night (9/22) with the one-two punch of Bay Area blasters Thee Oh Sees and Ty Segall. The large gravel pit backyard was packed with revelers of all ages and degrees of tattoo coverage, some whom were maybe having a little too much fun. (Setting my beer on the ground for just a second, an over-imbided girl came within inches of puking on my head. This was 8 PM.) But the vibes were good as was the music.

Thee Oh Sees (via BrooklynVegan Instagram)
Thee Oh Sees

I missed openers K-Holes, but Thee Oh Sees put on their usual killer show with yelping into the mike (sometimes eating it), abusing his array of cool, weird guitars and generally inspiring crowd mayhem. Clouds opened up about three songs into Ty Segall's set, which sent many into the covered bar area, but the band (which still includes longtime cohort Mikal Cronin who makes his own awesome records) didn't let a little rain (okay, a LOT of rain) stop the party and even, improbably, covered "Sweet Home Alabama."

Thee Oh Sees play ATP NY today (6 PM) and will be at Death by Audio on Monday (9/24) with Ty for what will surely be an entirely bananas show. Look for a full set of pictures on the way.

The three bands were great. All sets were amazing, especially Thee Oh Sees.

However, fuck that crowd. Fuck them so hard. Throwing half-full or full cups of beer up in the air was "the thing to do" that evening. I saw dude dressed in a suit with penny loafers buy a beer for the sake of going into the middle of the crowd, tossing it in the air (it hit some poor, unsuspecting girl right in the eye), and high-fiving his buddies. Grow the fuck up, North Brooklyn.

And get those photographers off the fucking stage. One of them was in front of Dwyer for half a song. Stay in the pit for your lousy blog photos.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 2:41 PM

cannot believe how awful the sound is at that venue. tomorrow will be much better.

Posted by d | September 23, 2012 2:44 PM

I really disagree about the sound, I thought it was remarkably good. Everything was super loud but without sounding completely blown out like the last couple of times I've seen Ty Segall. Both bands played killer sets, and I have to say it was one of the best shows I've ever been to (that douchebag in the blazer tossing beers notwithstanding). Tomorrow night is definitely going to be pretty fun for sure.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 3:04 PM

The bands played hard, however this venue sucks.
How can it call itself a Beer Garden???? ......Its a shit hole with huge lines everywhere, shitty sight lines, and the sound was terrible, just a mush.
Brooklyns own Terminal 5, will not be going back.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 3:06 PM

Yeah, beer garden my balls. That, and Brooklyn is FULL of douchenozzles, but that's not news. I didn't find the sound to be terrible: loud and balanced, if a but mushy.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 3:34 PM

I was up front for the K-Holes and the sound was very low end heavy, in all the right ways. For Thee Oh Sees I was by the mixing board and it sounded very trebly. For Ty, I was in the middle of the middle and it sounded just right, like luke warm bath water.

K-Holes and Thee Oh Sees were the winners of the day, for me. Ty was a bit by the numbers. And the covers? Awful. Not for the stage.

As for the venue? Sight-lines were fine. The beer selection, for a beer garden, was not. Founders being the only worthy beer. The lines weren't bad though.

And the best part is the show was over by 11pm! You could cram in a whole'nother night before curfew.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 4:16 PM

Geez, you people should be psyched that a guy "in a suit with penny loafers" was even at a Ty show! It's a fuckin rock and roll concert! Stop complainin about the sound, the lack of beer selection, the crowd. Next time just hit up the Rod Stewart show, heard it was super mellow. You're halfway there, going soft in your old age.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 4:38 PM

Why all the talk anyway about this? Who really cares? Everybody knows the better of these shows is tomorrow night. That is the only thing that matters concerning this.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 4:42 PM

This place sucked and it sounded awful. Terrible crowd of squares. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 5:00 PM

"squares"?
Thanks 1950's dad!

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 5:23 PM

knowing all day it was going to rain i packed my gore tex jacket... k-holes were ok... oh sees were great, rockin double time and just soaring... ty and band really delivered the goods, oh sees were super charged yet a bit one dimensional but ty and company were a real joy a solid rock band with a lot of depth, great songwriting great show... sweet home alabama was a funny aside, hey it's a great guitar riff...

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 6:13 PM

I packed my poncho. My sears poncho.

And the K-Holes were the best band of the night. Their brand of swampland rock and roll had me wetter than the downpour during Ty Segall's set.

Posted by Frank Zappa | September 23, 2012 6:56 PM

The K-Holes are fucking amazing sexy, dirty, acid, whiskey, devil music- I'm in love-
The Oh Sees should have headlined-
I love when chics get in the pit
Asian girl crowd surfer - I enjoyed having your legs around my head

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 7:16 PM

sound was definitely fucked. the bass was way too loud when thee oh sees played. also keyboard was a bit too loud; drowned out dwyer's guitar at times. ty segall, in contrast sounded a lot better, albeit way softer than thee oh sees. after getting my ears blown out in there set, i could barely hear ty.
k-holes were whatever. just made me want to listen to some no wave instead.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 7:26 PM

I see you 7:16, and I raise you.
Yes, Thee Oh Sees should have headlined, but . . . Ty Segall should have opened the show. K-Holes nestled 'tween the two.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 7:39 PM

Let's split hairs 7:26. The K-Holes were closer to the Scientists, or the Honeymoon Killers than James Chance. Either way that did what they do done right.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2012 7:42 PM

post the rest of the Well pictures!

Posted by johnny | September 23, 2012 9:38 PM

I also enjoyed the asian girl crowd surfer's butt on my head

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 2:51 AM

Yeah, the sound sucked complete ass, especially during Thee Oh Sees -- the bass was SO fucking loud, couldn't hear much else.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 2:54 AM

Thee Oh Sees are simply the best band there is right now. Check the back catalogue, motherfuckers. Got slow jams, too

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 8:13 AM

I think the sound was so bass heavy cause all they do there are techno parties.. I loved the rawness of the venue and hope they do more shows.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 11:34 AM

a great night for loud guitar music... top three of 2012... high energy all the way...

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 12:27 PM

I want to make sweet love to Vashti Windish. <3 <3 <3 K-HOLES!

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 12:43 PM

Show was good, crowd were idiots and the venue is a fucking shithole. It sounded even worse. This place makes Terminal 5 sound like the Bowery Ballroom.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 1:03 PM

Peter Murphy was also having sound/mix problems. Seems this venue isn't really ready yet. I'm going to start avoiding it if I can.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 1:23 PM

Tonight's gonna be sick!

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 1:56 PM

Tonight's gonna be epically shitty - bros with randomly shaking heads and awful BO. Fuck that noise.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 2:16 PM

Set times for tonight?

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 2:28 PM

"like lukewarm bath water" that sums up ty segalls music pretty well. Let the waves of. mediocrity wash over you

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 2:31 PM

"I'm gonna go tell people the music they like sucks, anonymously, on the internet! I heard it's called trolling and it's totally cool! Moooooooom can I use the computer in the den?"

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 2:32 PM

^ Ha ha ha yeah, you got us "trolls"! You so smart brah! It's much better to just have a communal jerk-off, and then we can all get a trophy and everyone gets a cupcake before the adult kickball game.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 2:49 PM

^You have adorably convinced yourself that talking like a 14 year old and calling people "FAGGZ!!!" is some sort of Andy Kauffman-esc BRILLIANT SATIRE.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 2:54 PM

2:49: predictable stale "omg hipsters!" jokes, from someone who spends all his time on a website called Brooklyn fucking Vegan.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 2:57 PM

??? "FAGGZ"? "omg hipsters"? Some thin skinned butt hurt douche bros up on here today! It's OK, Sally ... here's a chamomile tea, and over there is a soft puffy pillow for you to relax in while the sniffles recede. So sorry the big bad anonymous commentor hurt your feewings.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 3:07 PM

"hurt your feewings"

You're confused. It's ok.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 3:09 PM

If you thought the "crowd were idiots" It's cause you're a total pussy. The crowd was fucking awesome! Everyone was having a fucking good god damn time while you were in the back complaining like a dick. I hate you. I hope the asian crowd surfers kicked you in the head twice.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 5:15 PM

Sure there is a No Wave influence in the K-Holes music, but there's also some serious swamp rock and voodoo rhythms in the mix.

And Thee eOh Sees' blend of psych and garage is done in a way that is its own thing.

Ty Segall was really the weak link of the night. I'll third the "luke warm bath water" review. There really is nothing that he/they are doing that hasn't been done before and better.

What if Jay Reatard never died?

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 5:28 PM

^dumb.

Posted by nolove | September 24, 2012 8:28 PM

^ fuck you - Jay Reatard would have owned these chumps. If he hadn't gone and done those white lines bay-bay-baby

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 8:44 PM

^ eh

Posted by nolove | September 24, 2012 10:21 PM

iPods would've owned this this shit.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 10:52 PM

iPods will henceforth be known as "the band with the name that would not and should not be uttered". So says I.

Posted by I | September 25, 2012 6:27 AM

iPods. So says iPods.

Posted by iPods | September 25, 2012 7:01 AM

We broke up.
The shows over.
Move out of your parents' basements, go meet a girl and move on with your lives.

Posted by "the band with the name that would not and should not be uttered" | September 25, 2012 8:24 AM

thanks for posting the rest of the pictures BV. u suck and so does Grizzly Bear.

Posted by yup i said it. | September 25, 2012 3:24 PM

Thee Oh Sees are an interesting novelty act at best, and if you think they are the greatest thing since sesame paste then you are a tard with no friends.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2012 3:37 PM

They were ridiculously great at DBA last night. Pretty amazing show. Ty played second, and then Oh Sees played a long set (90 minutes) with an absolutely ridiculous amount of energy. Crowd was nuts, but a good nuts, not some bro-idiots throwing beer and laughing.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2012 3:56 PM

Throwing beer and laughing is fun sometimes... just sayin

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2012 4:08 PM

Was that chick on crutches with the died red hair there?

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2012 4:14 PM

Yup, she pushed one of the crutches up through the ceiling and somehow it ended up on stage. Dwyer used it as a prop for a few minutes.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2012 4:24 PM

Where are the rest of the pics?

Posted by Anonymous | September 26, 2012 4:36 PM

where are the goddamm pics? ^

Posted by seriously | September 26, 2012 9:04 PM

if you weren't at the dba show then you suck at life

Posted by Anonymous | September 26, 2012 10:03 PM

rain ruins everything.

Posted by mike | July 17, 2013 3:26 PM

I love their attitude about the rain.

Posted by mike | July 17, 2013 3:31 PM