Posted in TV | hiphop | music on September 17, 2012

Frank Ocean, Seth MacFarlane & Fred Armisen (who is no longer Obama) @ SNL
Frank Ocean

We actually already posted this in WGO Sunday, but in case you missed the awesomeness:

Frank Ocean appeared on Saturday Night Live last night (9/16) to perform "Thinking About You" and "Pyramids," and was joined by John Mayer on guitar. He also just revealed the music video for "Pyramids," which also features an appearance from John Mayer.
Frank Ocean plays live at ATP NY on Friday night. Watch the videos of his SNL performance and the "Pyramids" music video below.

Frank Ocean - "Pyramids" Official Music Video

Frank Ocean - "Thinking About You" on SNL

Frank Ocean - "Pyramids" on SNL

more Frank Ocean on SNL

Please, english people, get the hiphop tokens out of your ATPs.
We don't really like it mixed up with our favorite bands. Otherwise we had gone to all those Boonaroos, right?

Posted by ME | September 17, 2012 11:33 AM

Why is this shitty r&b getting fluffed so hard?

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 11:35 AM

Do they mean Billy Ocean?

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 11:42 AM

I felt GAY after watching this...want to unsee

Crappy R&B and John Mayer(need I say more)

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 11:47 AM

Why is there so much buzz for Frank Ocean? This is NOT good.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 11:50 AM

John Mayer had no purpose being there lol.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 11:56 AM

"Why is this shitty r&b getting fluffed so hard?"

It's called a publicist and major record label with fat pockets to pay influential bloggers.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 12:01 PM

you idiot BV commenters legitimately always try to out-hate each other. it's like a "who can be the most obnoxious, worthless" competition

frank ocean did an awesome job in a usually unforgiving stage. i feel like most acts sound awful on SNL

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 12:02 PM

Oh look, a shitty musical guest on a shitty tv show hosted by a piece of shit.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 12:03 PM

12:02 I agree with you on commenters usually being idiots on this site. However, you provide no insight as to why Frank Ocean is getting so much buzz. The music is derivative and frankly (no pun intended) not that great.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 12:18 PM

Frank Ocean is bad, but Armisen is the worst.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 12:21 PM

I thought Saturday night's show was pretty funny, the joke of Bain Capital following the guy to every job he could get and laying him off was pretty funny, the puppet class sketch and the one where Armisen hosts the sex after 50 show were all great imo.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 12:24 PM

He's got quality songs. not the most original material out there but I doubt many people on here even follow R&B so what would you know? Pyramids is a beautifully arranged song. Save your ire for Trey Songz or some other radio R&B fraud.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 12:33 PM

His managers bought his way in. Simple. NO indie cred whatsoever.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 12:42 PM

Frank ocean headlining ATP is the weirdest thing ever.
He has one album, been out less then a year, and is fair to good at best.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 1:06 PM

His songs are good, but he is just not that great of a vocalist. If he is the songwriter, then he should get into selling songs to others (better money). If he is not the songwriter, he is in for a surprise once his 15 minutes are up.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 1:17 PM

"I really don't get it. I thought ATP was a good fest, but they really blew it this year."

People that love music love ATP.
People that love music love Frank Ocean.
The Afghan Whigs who are headlining and curating ATP, cover Frank Ocean.

ATP did not blow it this year. Open your mind.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 1:18 PM

"People that love music love Frank Ocean."

What a sweeping, intelligent generalization. Please get run over by a bus.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 3:12 PM

... A late response to 12:18 (despite knowing that whatever I say won't change your mind).

channel ORANGE isn't the top album of my 2012 it is certainly a top 5 (more like top 3) album in my opinion. I'm spitting this off the top of the dome so please excuse the stream of consciousness:

Firstly, ALL music is influenced by a previous sound. NOTHING is completely original. So don't give me that derivative bullshit unless he's riding a currently popular trend. If you think channel ORANGE bites off Trey Songz or Usher album, you are completely wrong and shouldn't be discussing r&b/soul music at all. Let me know one song from which "Pyramids" would have been derived.

1. The versatility in songwriting is at the forefront of why channel ORANGE is amazing. The lyrics are witty, emotionally effectual, socially conscious. Musically, the album has elements of jazz, soul, r&b, psychedelic music, funk, etc. Although the melodies are accessible, they are completely unconventional. There is no way you can say it is predictable.

2. The guy can sing. He effortlessly hits the high note in the falsetto fueled "Thinking Bout You" live every single time. In a way that D'Angelo does.

3. The album is as cohesive of a concept album as anything out right now.

I could go more in-depth on what makes channel ORANGE awesome but I'm at work and I, unfortunately, don't get paid to critique music.

Because you may not be a fan of a certain genre, or artist doesn't mean they are awful or inconsequential. Frank Ocean is definitely deserving of all the merit received.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 3:33 PM

@3:33 tl;dr Frank Ocean still sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 3:37 PM

"BLOOOOD............OCEAN........."

"I KNOOOOW WHOOOO YOOOU AAAAAAAAAAARE...."

"BLOOOOD............OCEAN........."

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 3:46 PM

"The guy can sing."

So is that random guy at a karaoke bar. Many people can sing, but not all are great. Frank Ocean is not a great singer.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 3:51 PM

Sometimes when it's really hot and crowded in the subway, and I'm crammed in with a lot of beefy white dudes with arms touching, I like to pretend we're all vienna sausages.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 4:00 PM

Clearly the ignorance and idiocy of commenters on this site is at an all-time high. The negative comments above demonstrate that people know nothing about 1. R&B, 2. singing ability, and 3. the music business. Lesson to be learned: it's one thing if you don't like the music, but if you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, you need to keep your mouth shut. It's like Stevie said: when you believe in things you don't understand, you suffer.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 7:26 PM

I think there are a lot of R&B fans that aren't down with Frank Ocean. I'm one of them.

Are you really comparing this to R. Kelly/D'angelo R&B?

He IS riding the wave of PR. Don't forget, he's a 'member' of ODD FUTURE who will whore themselves out to anyone. You don't play SNL with one album without a huge PR budget.

Also, if he wouldn't have came out as gay in such a gushing way, would people care about this music? Just a thought.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 8:19 PM

@1:18, yeah they did not blow it. Uh huh. That is why it is completely undersold.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 8:43 PM

I heard that before recording the "high notes" on the album, he often times needs to deep throat some throbbing wieners to massage his vocal chords... Can anyone confirm?

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2012 2:14 AM

In response to whoever said "real music lovers like Frank Ocean"; I think it was 1:18. Real music lovers see through this BS.

I was completely disappointed with the SNL performance and all the songs of his I have heard. I really wanted to find something I liked, thinking that there had to be a reason for all the hype behind him. Didn't see or hear it. Maybe teens like it. Who knows. I don't like it and will always think it is suspect.

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2012 11:23 PM

Fjidfjeiejidfejidjeijdiejdiejdiejdijeidjeijdiejdiejidjeidjeijdiejdiejdiejdiejdiejdiejdiejdiejiedjiejdiejdiejdiejdeijdiedjienfrjfnjrnfnrfjfbhrbfjbrhjbfhrbfhbrhjnfjnnvnjf.
Dijfijruifjurhnfuirnhiufnhruifnhurinhfuirnhfuirnhfuihnruifnhruinhfuirnfunrfunhrurnfunrurnfurnfurnhjufnrfunrunfuujjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj.
Hjuedjufhjrufhrufhruhfurhfuhjrufdhuehrduehduehduehduedhuwidhiwidwjsuiwjsiwjsiwmnswjknxjsdnxcjdcnjdncjdcnjfnkvfmnkvfmnkgirjfirjfirjfioierifjirjfirjfirjfirjfieoifdejodkdowkwokdowkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkoooooojdeuinnnnnnneuidnnnnnnieunendeueujnduenduneudn.

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2012 11:56 PM