Posted in interviews | metal | music | pictures on September 13, 2012

by Fred Pessaro // BBG

"We do our own thing, on our terms or not at all. Kvlt can suck my fucking dick. I want it all. Evil has no boundaries" - Vetis Monarch of Weapon

Weapon at Rites of Darkness 2011 (more by Fred Pessaro // BBG)
Weapon

Canadian black metal horde Weapon have made a few major transitions of late, moving from a staunchly independent black metal label (The Ajna Offensive) to one of the bigger labels in the genre (Relapse) and taking their show from recording-only to full-on tour mode. The occasion? The release of their third LP, Embers and Revelations, due on October 9th. Stream the new song "Vanguard Of The Morning Star," which we're premiering below, and you can order your copy at Relapse.

Weapon see these transitions as opportunites (as they should) and as such, we cornered the creative mind behind Weapon, Vetis Monarch, for a few interview questions which you can read below.

Don't forget that Weapon will be in NYC on 11/19 at Saint Vitus with Nachtmystium and Jarboe. Tickets are still available.

Song stream and Q&A are below.

Vetis Monarch: Growth, refusal to remain stagnant, and inevitability. The Ajna Offensive was an amazing indie label to work with, and over the course of Weapon's time there, we actually ended up becoming really good friends with the owner, Tyler Davis. Nothing but the deepest respect and gratitude towards Ajna. However, we are growing as a band; things are evolving. Our path is dynamic and multidimensional. We want tour and play 'bigger' gigs; we need bigger recording budgets than what Ajna can afford, plain and simple. That's where support from a major label comes in. If it wasn't Relapse, it would have been somewhere else; but credit where credit due, Relapse Records have been great to us thus far. There has been no interference on our creative and ideological path, and they have delivered.

Art for Embers And Revelations
z

An artist is usually never satisfied with his work. That said, both of your previous releases were rather well received. What were your personal goals going into the studio with this set of songs? How did you arrive at the production team that you used?

Like any band that takes it's craft seriously (and I mean real bands, not bedroom projects and hometown heroes), we are very critical of our work and never satisfied. It's cliche upon cliche, but it's the truth. I think our first album was received rather poorly, because at the time the scene was all about warfago metal from random countries; New Zealand, for example. 'Drakonian Paradigm' was received well by the media, but a lot of our own fans completely dismissed us because we tried different things musically. Many people would have been happy if we had just replicated the style on our EPs, but we don't give a fuck about other people's happiness, you see. The only downside of that album is the weakness in the bass and a thin production; aside from that, 'Drakonian Paradigm' is exactly what it was meant to be. 'From The Devil's Tomb' was quite a departure from the first album, in that it was so vehemently death metal; at the time it was the most savage thing we had ever done. That again was received well by the media, and actually put us on the map with legitimate bands, so to speak. I used to have nightmares that we wouldn't be able to top 'From The Devil's Tomb'; the nightmares stopped after I heard 'Embers And Revelations' in it's entirety.

We just started looking for a studio and a producer who understood what the fuck we wanted. Being a baby band on Relapse, it's still a ways away until we can start requesting things like Mana Studio, specific producers and other such luxuries; so we just looked in our own backyard for the best guy for the job. Lucky for us, we stumbled upon Terry Paholek who is a world class studio guy; Canada's best kept studio secret, but not for long. We sat down with Terry, had lengthy discussions about what we wanted and did not want, what this album is - thematically, musically, PERSONALLY - and then proceeded to record the best album of our career thus far.

Weapon at Rites fo Darkness 2011 (more by Fred Pessaro // BBG)
Weapon

Its seems you have been out for a considerable amount of time since the beginning of the year. Do you see Weapon as a touring band now?

Yes, we do. When I started Weapon back in 2003, I had very little intention of playing live, and touring is something I didn't even consider. But when you start jamming with the right people, and have that chemistry brewing, playing live becomes another inevitability. After Kha Tumos got on bass guitar, he started bugging us about it. He didn't understand why we wouldn't want to play these songs live. And I may be a stubborn cunt, but I know when to listen. So we started out with very selective gigs here and there, and developed into a touring band. That being said, we are still very focused on the balance between quantity and quality.

Weapon at Music Hall of Williamsburg, June 2012 (more by Greg Cristman)
Weapon

Personality, musical and social differences aside, who would you like to tour with from an inspiration/good tourmate/musical-fit point of view? Why?

I speak only for myself here, not the rest of Weapon. We all have differing opinions on such matters. If I approach this from a inspirational / educational perspective, I would tour in a heartbeat with Cannibal Corpse, Behemoth, Immolation, Nile, 1349, Krisiun, Gorgoroth, Unleashed, Vader, Hate Eternal, Marduk, Suffocation, Belphegor etc. Basically, quality death / black bands that are touring machines. These bands have been doing this for a long time and they are very good at what they do. It would be foolish of us to not learn from the masters of the craft. (I guess Slayer would be okay too..)

From the standpoint of good tourmates / musical and ideological fit, the list is a bit different. If money was no issue, and time permitting, I would want to tour with Loss, Mithochondrion, Rudra, Ofermod, Nightbringer, Nader Sadek, Aosoth, Azarath, Prosanctus Inferi, Hour Of Penance, Inquisition, Adorior, Wodensthrone etc. There are many bands I could add to the second part of this list, and I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty right now. Only some of these bands I know personally and consider them good friends, so there's the camaraderie factor; but all these bands make great music, so the tour tales would be infamous, and the gigs would be historical.

Nachtmystium and Jarboe are both on a forthcoming tour with Weapon, what are your thoughts on each band and how they have(n't) influenced your style of music?

I have a genuine respect for any band out there that's working their butts off to pursue what they want; both Nachtmystium and Jarboe are doing their own thing, regardless of other people's opinions, internet warrior abuse and so forth. That's the kind of FUCK YOU attitude I can get on board with. Neither have influenced Weapon's music in any way, though. Our foundation comes from the pioneers of black and death metal; I don't think any metal band that was formed after 1989 has influenced the musical structure of Weapon.

Weapon at MHoW
Weapon

You are approaching your 10th anniversary as Weapon. How has your perception of the band shifted in the past 10 years? How has the changing landscape of black metal, and metal in general shaken up the underground and your band in particular?

Well, it's become a real band. It's become an entity in itself. A lot of shitty things have happened in my life in the last 10 years - mostly by my own doing - but all of that has shaped Weapon. In the beginning I was perfectly content with releasing a Demo tape, a 7" EP and MAYBE someday an album. That's about as far as I thought it would go. I never imagined being signed to the label that released 'Onward to Golgotha'; that did not cross my mind. I look at the band's timeline how Billy Pilgrim's alien friends look at time, and I nod at my brothers in Weapon. There's so much more to do, though.

Let's make one thing clear - Black Metal is not what it used to be. And I'm not trying to be some nostalgic, curmudgeonly asshole here, glorifying the old days; facts are facts. Yes, there are new, excellent bands around making top shelf Black Metal, bands that are genuinely satanic and sinister. But the truly dangerous environment that Black Metal once exuded is long and far gone. You have hipsters and hippies now who openly claim to not only listen to Black Metal but even dare to start their own "black metal" bands; this would have been unthinkable in 1991. It would have been dealt with via violence right away, squashed before the thought could even form properly in some limp-wristed pacifist's mind. Nowadays it's a party. Everyone is invited, let's all gather around and listen to the new retardation shat out by Darkthrone. Let's see if Fenriz makes a stupid metalloid face posing with my band's thrash record released by label no. H60089K1. Let's all wear gasmasks.

Weapon stays far away from all this nonsense. We do our own thing, on our terms or not at all. Kvlt can suck my fucking dick. I want it all. Evil has no boundaries.

Metalheads are always discussing their "gateway drug" into the genre. How did you get into extreme music?

By way of a Scorpions cassette. I mean the old heavy metal tunes, not the 80's cockrock shit. Then it was Metallica and then Sepultura and then total depravity from that point onwards. Watching that video for 'Arise' on Headbanger's Ball was one of the most pivotal moments of my life. It was more monumental than the first time I took a girl's anal virginity. I still listen to old Sepultura a lot. It's a riff factory for those who worship the almighty riff.

Since you play in a heavy band and are surrounded by it constantly, does inspiration for that style of music come from heavy music anymore? If so, how have your tastes changed in the past 10 years? If not, where does inspiration come from, musically speaking?

It does, actually, but it also comes from other styles of music. And let me be clear that it's inspiration, not influence. For influence I pretty much look to the same 20 records that I looked at back in 2003. I just have a different way of executing it now, a different appreciation and perspective. My tastes have changed quite a bit over the last 10 years, I'm deeply aware of that. Except for garbage called reggae and rap / hiphop, I can find something useful ad rewarding in most genres of music. I just know that metal is separate; the metal must not and cannot be tainted by tourists and other genres.

Nowadays a lot of my inspiration comes from books, and not just the occult kind. Even the bleakness of Dickens' novels has inspired me; I'm still reeling from the asskicking that I received from 'The Master And Margarita' and 'A Painted Bird'; those books have been a tremendous source of inspiration for my riffs. I find it exhilarating to take something written by a fictional author and then applying it in a satanic and occult context.
The darkness is always there, one just has to be receptive to it.

this is a great interview!

Posted by Bullet Eater | September 13, 2012 12:46 PM

This sausage is talking about other sausages sucking his dick.

Shocking.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2012 12:47 PM

^ Still a pathetic, shut-in loser.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2012 12:52 PM

This guy sounds like a tremendous asshole on every possible level, and I'm (according to the lulzies of the world) a sausage.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2012 1:27 PM

"You have hipsters and hippies now who openly claim to not only listen to Black Metal but even dare to start their own "black metal" bands; this would have been unthinkable in 1991."

joke, right? he's kidding, right??? guys? BBG? also, who is a hipster black metal band? and you can't say liturgy. that one's too easy. pick some other band. call them out.

"this would have been unthinkable in 1991. It would have been dealt with via violence right away, squashed before the thought could even form properly in some limp-wristed pacifist's mind."

big joke, right? he's not REALLY expressing nostalgia for a year in which he probably wasn't yet a twinkle in his father's ball bag right?

"Nowadays it's a party. Everyone is invited, let's all gather around and listen to the new retardation shat out by Darkthrone. Let's see if Fenriz makes a stupid metalloid face posing with my band's thrash record released by label no. H60089K1. Let's all wear gasmasks."

still a joke right? i mean, hating on darkthrone and gasmasks? i'm just retarded and don't get the joke, right?

"The darkness is always there, one just has to be receptive to it."

okay maybe he's like 21 or something...right?

"Except for garbage called reggae and rap / hiphop, I can find something useful ad rewarding in most genres of music. I just know that metal is separate; the metal must not and cannot be tainted by tourists and other genres."

ok ok, not being fair. english is his second language, right? if that's the case, then he gets a pass for this terrible interview but his band is still lousy.

Posted by Internet Desktop Cubicle Kvlt Blasphemic Warrior | September 13, 2012 1:34 PM

oh wait, they're playing with nachtmystium? that explains everything.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2012 1:41 PM

^ You, sir, are a monumental idiot.

Posted by Bullet Eater | September 13, 2012 1:41 PM

lol "bullet eater" how old are you, 17?

this chubz is in his mom's basement doing the tracking for his "one man depressive black metal band."

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2012 1:44 PM

inner-sausage strife!

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2012 1:51 PM

"It was more monumental than the first time I took a girl's anal virginity."
- implying that this is something which happens with some regularity. Yeah, right.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2012 1:59 PM

I lost my anal virginity to him.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2012 2:12 PM

I am a cat.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2012 2:12 PM

I hope he loses his anal virginity to Jarboe.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2012 2:17 PM

Can we stop calling every metal band a "horde" now?

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2012 2:28 PM

Is he a hummus virgin? Had he yet to dip his pita triangle into a platter?

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2012 2:30 PM

Dude seems like a class A prick... That's just the impression I get from this interview. Hope his music backs up his fucktardery.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2012 4:02 PM

Take a listen - they pretty much don't. Hey Mr. Anal Victor, everyone here seems to agree on your general douchiness. Anything to say?

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2012 4:47 PM

The band might be too busy NOT being on the computer like the rest of us here. Maybe they're making music or something. Weird.

Posted by Bullet Eater | September 13, 2012 5:20 PM

i don't see what the issue is here. the song is killer and the guy seems articulate. support.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2012 6:39 PM

hahha, the frontman is always on a computer, probably updating his facebook about nz warfago bands and how he hates them

big ego, bad music, lots of fake stories

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2012 7:24 PM

Bullet Belt Eater = weapon groupie. Are you the anal receiver?

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2012 9:39 PM

hes got a point, those nz warfago bands are pretty fucking lame.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2012 10:12 PM

for a musical subculture that's all about individuality and such, it's pretty fucked up how much hate this is getting! for someone who's speaking his mind!

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2012 10:27 PM

Yeah he is a huge asshole but who the fuck cares. Weapon is a great band. It's not like this sort of music should be made by nice guys anyway.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2012 10:30 PM

most metal is shit these days
Weapon being the epitome of shit
i wouldn't say this interview proves the try-hardness of this band and member

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2012 11:19 PM

All stupid comments aside this tune is fucking sweeeeet

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 12:43 AM

Look at all the ass-pained haters here. The music is solid, the guy is well-spoken and has no qualms about telling how he truly views things. I for one, am sick of the sugar-coated disney bullshit that's been coming out, and the fruitiness of most interviews nowadays. The ones who are saying Weapon is "shit" should take a look at themselves and come out with something better. Come on guys, don't be shy. Show us what you've got that is so superior to this. Fucktards.

Posted by M.O/XIII | September 14, 2012 12:58 AM

no corpespaint = false metal

Posted by death to false sausage | September 14, 2012 1:36 AM

This little bitch obviously hasn't ever gotten his ass handed to him in a real fight. Maybe I'll have to take my boys up to his next show here and remedy that. We'll see how much shit that 4'6" mouth talks to us in person.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 2:49 AM

^ Says the guy posting anonymously

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 3:23 AM

My names Jacob Mathews, bitch. I'll introduce myself personally to anyone who wants me to. I am not afraid of any bitch posting or interviewed on faggot ass Brooklyn Vegan.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 3:28 AM

I once had my ass handed to me. I was surprised, because I didn't realize it had been taken from me in the first place. But sure enough, there it was, being handed to me on a glistening silver platter: my own ass, my own firm, not altogether hairless ass. I accepted it graciously. I now wear it as a hat.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 3:42 AM

Just tell me where and when, faggot.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 3:48 AM

Times Square at noon.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 4:22 AM

Where in Times Square? Be more specific, tell me how to spot you. Where exactly will you be?

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 4:31 AM

Wait, no, changed my mind: Empire State Building at dawn. Right on the tippy-top of it.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 4:46 AM

That's what I thought. You're a little faggot hipster bitch hiding behind your keyboard. You'd better like it there, because it's the only place on the face of the Earth where you could ever disrespect me and still walk away.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 5:02 AM

Who exactly do you think you are talking to here tough guy?

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 5:25 AM

You're the one backing out. I gave you the time and the place. TIME AND PLACE.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 5:30 AM

You do realize these comments are ANONYMOUS?

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 5:39 AM

yup

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 5:43 AM

What's your address? I'll come knock on your door.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 5:47 AM

221B Baker Street

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 6:26 AM

if you are a false, don't entry.

Posted by Wagner | September 14, 2012 7:51 AM

"This little bitch obviously hasn't ever gotten his ass handed to him in a real fight. Maybe I'll have to take my boys up to his next show here and remedy that."

Sounds like you're the little bitch who needs all his boys to stand up to ONE guy. That's pretty embarrassing.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 8:46 AM

Small men usually have big mouths. Let the music do the talk. You lose all credibility talking about hipsters when you just signed to one of the biggest hipster labels...

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 9:09 AM

^ Said he wanna be, shorties gonna be a thug
Said he wanna be, one day he's gonna be
Said he's wanna be, shorties gonna be a thug Said he's gonna be, one day he gonna be

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 9:17 AM

BV: Embers and Revelations is your first release in two years, and first away from The Ajna Offensive and towards Relapse. What prompted the move?

Vetis Monarch (<-LULZ): "Growth, refusal to remain stagnant, and inevitability."

^ LULZ (i.e. clichéd blast beats, tremolo picking, cookie monster vocals, double kick, etc.)

"Our path is dynamic and multidimensional."

^ LULZ (see above)

"Like any band that takes it's craft seriously (and I mean real bands, not bedroom projects and hometown heroes), we are very critical of our work and never satisfied."

^ LULZ (once again, see above)

"..at the time it was the most savage thing we had ever done."

^ LULZ (I guess glory hole attending and delivering pizzas doesn't count as "savage" then?)

"I would want to tour with Loss, Mithochondrion, Rudra, Ofermod, Nightbringer, Nader Sadek, Aosoth, Azarath, Prosanctus Inferi, Hour Of Penance, Inquisition, Adorior, Wodensthrone etc."

^ LULZ (lol, who?!?)

"..all these bands make great music, so the tour tales would be infamous, and the gigs would be historical."

^ LULZ (lol, whut?!?)

"..internet warrior abuse and so forth."

^ LULZ (where?!?)

"I don't think any metal band that was formed after 1989 has influenced the musical structure of Weapon."

^ LULZ (in other words "all we're doing is beating the same old clichéd dead horse")

"You have hipsters and hippies now who openly claim to not only listen to Black Metal but even dare to start their own "black metal" bands; this would have been unthinkable in 1991. It would have been dealt with via violence right away, squashed before the thought could even form properly in some limp-wristed pacifist's mind."

^ LULZ (lol, who's the limp-wristed pacifist? Wait, is "Mr. Evil" scared of dealing in actual violence himself? I like his use of the word "dare" too. It's not really all that "daring" if "Mr. Evil's" too afraid to do anything violent, you know? It's more like stiffing the pizza delivery sausage out of his tip. It's like "what's the fucking pussy gonna do?", amirite?")

"It was more monumental than the first time I took a girl's anal virginity."

^ LULZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ (i.e. some Alpha's cherry busted sloppy seconds. What's with you sausages and anuses anyway, amirite?)

"metal must not and cannot be tainted by tourists and other genres."

^ LULZ (lol, touring with Nachtmystium and Jarboe.)

"Nowadays a lot of my inspiration comes from books, and not just the occult kind."

"I find it exhilarating to take something written by a fictional author and then applying it in a satanic and occult context."

^ LULZ@ "not just the occult kind" + "written by a fictional author (sic) and then applying it in a satanic and occult context." lol, a grown man said this. A GROWN FUCKING MAN.

In conclusion: LULZ.

Posted by LULZY/AMIRITE/MANADOOBIE | September 14, 2012 9:50 AM

^ my conclusion is you're a virgin :D

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 10:01 AM

9:50, while the guy in question in this interview is clearly a gigantic douche, the only thing you established with your novel like post is that you have absolutely no life, or job, whatsoever. Get a grip man, you're spending waaaaaay too much time on this website in general.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 10:06 AM

^ftw!

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 10:17 AM

smh@ u Buckeye (i.e. 10:01, 10:06, 10:07)

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 10:34 AM

^ Whoops! 10:17!

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 10:35 AM

^Sorry, I can only take credit for 10:06.

You're aware that everyone knows you are the exact same loser with no life that also posts under LULZY/AMIRITE, right? May as well add the smh name to the mix rather than talking to yourself/patting yourself on the back for your jokes which are never funny. It's pretty lame.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 10:40 AM

+ 10:40, amirite?

What's wrong, Buckeye? Talk to me while I smh.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 10:45 AM

LMFAO at Anonymous tough guys. Pathetic.

Posted by M.O/XIII | September 14, 2012 2:59 PM

^ DAFRT

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2012 3:10 PM

Right......so what shitty low-fi faggot fuzz box bands do u all play in???

Posted by fuckyourband | September 15, 2012 7:12 AM

Some shitty fago cult black metal internet warriors that wont say shit to weapon to their face I bet. Fuck you faggots and go suck your mothers tits some more

Posted by fuckyourband | September 15, 2012 7:16 AM

^ DAFRT

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2012 9:13 AM

wepin's musick cant be understood by some littel "indie funk" lissener

Posted by Thunderfungus | September 15, 2012 9:15 PM

Still waiting.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2012 9:17 PM

iPods

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2012 9:49 PM

iPods

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2012 5:54 AM

oh fred pessaro what have you done?

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2012 1:42 PM

WEAPON SOLD OUT ... now they will dish out average music and more gigs with suffocation and cannibal corpse

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2012 9:42 AM

yes how dare they get ambitious

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012 1:57 AM

Posted by Buta | October 3, 2012 12:58 AM

The guy from Rites of Thy Degringolade right?
Amazing!

Posted by Continuum Miami Beach | November 19, 2012 2:02 PM

These days I am Searching a Software development company in Vancouver,Canada, but I am unable to search good software company. If any one knows some good software development companies, please suggest me. Thanks in Advance.

Posted by PHP Developer Vancouver | November 22, 2012 5:47 AM

I am very fond of swimming but I don't know how to swim. If any one some good swimming coaches please tell me. I am eager to swim these days.Thanks in advance.

Posted by Swim Caps | November 23, 2012 12:19 AM

The Interlace is also near elite schools such as Blangah Rise Primary School, ISS International School (Preston Campus) and ISS International School (Preston Campus).

Posted by The Interlace condo singapore | March 26, 2014 12:35 AM