Posted in music | pictures on October 31, 2012

photos by John Huntington/controlgeek.net

Hurricane Sandy

As you know, Coney Island took a beating by Hurricane Sandy. John Huntington headed down there Tuesday morning, and this is what he saw...

Hurricane Sandy

That's not mud, it's been like that since the hot dog eating contest.

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2012 3:35 PM

brooklyn vegan commenters...keepin it classy since never

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2012 3:45 PM

I live on ave u and Mcdonald and was wondering what happened to Coney Island Park
Again THANK YOU

Posted by Lil Ang | October 31, 2012 3:52 PM

hummus in very very low supply. looters hitting the sabra compound on bedford ave

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2012 3:53 PM

Cyclone 1, Hurricane 0.

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2012 3:53 PM

You mean Tropical Storm Sandy.

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2012 3:59 PM

Poor Coney Island. Already devastated by Bloomberg, is now finished by Sandy.

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2012 4:09 PM

looks like a vegan had an accident in that car.

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2012 4:11 PM

Crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy

Posted by sean | October 31, 2012 4:26 PM

I feel so bad for all of the folks on the east coast....that was just crazy....

Posted by pegg | October 31, 2012 4:42 PM

sandy you bitch...how could you destroy the MOST romantic place on earth????

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2012 5:55 PM

The White Eagle Tavern ain't in Coney Island. Nowhere near it. It is in Sunset Park.

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2012 6:24 PM

These photos could use some editing. Too many repeat pix from a slightly different angle. BV hire a photo editor!

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2012 6:29 PM

I agree. Do we really need to see that white boat on the beach from 4 different angles? We get it. One would be more effective.

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2012 6:31 PM

actually six different angles! Half a dozen photos of the same uninteresting boat on the sand.

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2012 6:32 PM

more boat in sand pics please

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2012 7:06 PM

Boat in sand pics should be included in every post.

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2012 9:30 PM

I've seen a boat in the sand even when there isn't a Storm. Boats on the beach are not a rare sight even in normal weather.

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2012 10:15 PM

Is tottono's ok?

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2012 10:37 PM

I, for one have never seen such an exquisite maritime vessel situated so nobly on such a bed of sand. I am further entertained by such a thorough photographic expose from so many different views of said vessel.

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2012 11:48 PM

wait, so this photographer walked around Coney and took that many photos and never took a single one of the old PLAYLAND building one block away from Nathans which had it's front and back doors blown off? You could see right through the old building and check out all the old cartoons on the inside. HOW DID HE MISS THAT? But thanks for the multiple uninteresting shots of the beach

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2012 11:52 PM

I'm glad there's a photo of Tom's and the boardwalk, and then another one right underneath of Tom's and the Boardwalk that also includes the bench.

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2012 11:54 PM

let's not forget the three photos in a row of the subway steps.

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2012 11:57 PM

Thanks for posting the photos, all of them, even the white boat from a dozen different angles. I'm sad to see how much damage there is to Coney Island, but thankful that you got these shots and shared them with us.

As bad as things look in Coney Island, they look a hundred times worse in the Rockaways. Does anyone know if there are comparable shots out there?

Posted by Doug - Flushing, Queens | November 1, 2012 12:17 AM

I was in Coney the day after. There was more devastation there than these photos show. This guy didn't know all the places to point his camera.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2012 9:36 AM

the abandoned building with a hole in it is at 23rd St and 5th avenue, across from the sunset park coned substation, not in coney island.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2012 11:29 AM

This hurricaine was devastating. I'm happy to see that the local business will survive. And it's true this is nothing compared to Breezy Point and Rockaway. I can't count how many people I spoke to last night from that area who are now homeless.

Posted by Laura | November 1, 2012 12:07 PM

I'm going to take pictures of Sea Isle City and post them as being from Westchester. Same thing.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2012 12:13 PM

Is gargiulo's restuarant flooded??

Posted by Jimmy | November 1, 2012 1:49 PM

^ been flooded with tourists for a while now I'd say

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2012 2:44 PM

I grew up in Trump Village in the 60's, what a mess, thanks for posting pics.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2012 5:40 PM

Warriors, come to playeeay.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2012 10:12 PM

Gargiulo's restaurant flooded, it was on fox 5 news

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2012 10:44 PM

time to tear it down and build some condos

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2012 11:44 PM

Thank you for posting photos of Coney Island. I was wondering what it looked like after Sandy. I feel so badly for all the people hurt by this and just hope that they will be able to recover.

Posted by Sharon | November 2, 2012 9:50 AM

is Ruby's bar & Jukebox still standing? I hope so. All those great records and nostalgia. Glad to see the cyclone didn't wind up in the ocean like the one down the shore.

Posted by coney island baby | November 2, 2012 2:13 PM

Thanks for the photos, I was worried about one of my favorite places in the world. For the critics out there on these photos,shutup and be happy your alive to see these pictures.

Posted by Anonymous | November 2, 2012 3:43 PM

We grew up in Brooklyn and met on Bay 7 52 yrs ago. Married for 45 years and we visit to see old places. We can only hope that the devastation can be overcome. We are watching the Come Together concert and will contribute.
Judith and Ike
Virginia

Posted by Ike | November 2, 2012 8:46 PM

Shame on all of you. These are people's lives, homes, business, memories, history, and neighborhood you are commenting on. It's a piece of ny history that I love with all my heart & this has brought me to tears. Get off your computers & volunteer at a neighborhood Red Cross.

Posted by Thera | November 3, 2012 9:59 AM

white ppl complaining..

Posted by RUDE | November 4, 2012 1:18 AM

THANKS. a native new yorker spent 50 + years in Brooklyn and now in Panama City Fl for 9 yrs. sadness abounds with intense work necessary to revive the area already on the edge of decay... great work capturing the images for those of us far away yet connected. Matty J

Posted by Matty | November 4, 2012 11:11 AM

Shame on those of you being sarcastic idiots. I agree...I too am thankful for the pictures of the places in my heart and mind, that I grew up seeing and visiting and my parents enjoyed so many years ago as New Yorkers. We waited many days to hear from family not knowing what happened to them or their homes. If you a**holes are from NY, you're an embarrassment to those of us who are proud to be from there. This is especially directed to RUDE and the anonymous folks complaining about the photos.

Posted by Cheryl Still a LI at heart. | November 4, 2012 11:46 AM

Thank you for posting the photos, I was born in Brooklyn and grew up. I attended Coney Island many, many times. I remembered the famous names of Steeplechase Park and Luna Park. We can't do anything to stop the Mother's Nature. But I am sure there will rebuilt again in Coney Island. Smile.

Posted by Oscar J. Marcus | November 5, 2012 12:32 AM

Thanks for the photos. I grew up in Brooklyn, remember Steeplechase park and all the other rides. Moved to Staten Island when I got married, and now live in MD. Glad to see that most of coney island survived, but sad to see all the devastation on the Jersey shore and rockaway. I still have family and friends in all these areas, some on LI still without power.

Posted by Abby | November 5, 2012 9:30 AM

please post pictures of seagate and areas from 28 to 33rd street 31st street looked like a war zone! i have it on my face book page bobbi chase and video of a white car being submerge when the surge came and the lights went out. When u click on the video click enhancement and video changes and put the contast all the way up you will see it when the flashlight is put on it and hear the roaring of the flash flood!

Posted by bobbi | November 8, 2012 11:44 AM

God bless you all. Lets say a prayer.

Posted by Larry | November 9, 2012 7:55 PM

I really Thank you for posting the photos of Coney Island after the storm because I was very curious to know how it looked after the storm. I live in
Brooklyn and feel bad for those that took a lost from Hurricane Sandy,however I hope my donation help out those in need.God Bless.

Posted by Catherine Covington-Stone | November 18, 2012 12:23 PM

At least coney island is still standing with the attractions the Jersey shore was really total it took everything

Posted by Luis | November 21, 2012 11:13 AM

This really breaks my heart ,I rode the cycle 30 years ago so sad for all the people ,god save them

Posted by alex | November 24, 2012 4:10 PM

TERRIFIC BLOG!!

You have shared such wonderful pics of the storms ravaging toll it took on my neighborhood. Thanks so much. I STILL cannot believe what happened here, and it's still not back to normal a month later.

Ignore the ignorant people here who have nothing but criticism. Hey how about all of you that have something stupid to say, take the time to do a BETTER job than this. I don't think so.

Would have liked to have seen pics of the other apartment complexes grounds after the storm though. All buildings were flooded.

And yes, we are standing, it is a miracle. The powers that be, love Coney Island! It's the most special place in the world.

All in all, absolutely fabulous documentary you made here, bravo!!!

Posted by Anonymous Coney Islander | November 29, 2012 11:49 PM

fucking fags im happy bitchesss hahahahahahahah!!!!

Posted by niklos | December 7, 2012 11:39 AM

God bless everyone , this day changed many of our lives as did 9/11 we all losted precious moments and things and lives from this crazy ass hurricane Sandy. she left a mess from bklyn to nearly upstate ny , and mind ya in other parts of the world like flordia and the carabean islands before it hit nyc. lets notr forget them as well. god bless us all could of been worse. and as far as coney isl. rockaway, n.j shores and l.island . and staten island . we have family freinds and businesses in these places , god bles us all . and help us all rebuild and etc. amen! luv Des. la pina colada lady from coney island. since 1996 to now 2012. and etc.

Posted by DESREE | December 10, 2012 6:38 PM

Whoever you are that took the time to photograph and post Coney Is photos, thank you.
It is hard to accept that some of what we see will never be the same. Just thought of it, the Cyclone is made of wood. I think it saw it's last run this past summer. Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you for the photos.

Posted by Bela | December 11, 2012 10:26 AM

Been there own a shop on still well and Neptune it was crazy

Posted by Sammy | January 1, 2013 2:56 PM

Coney Island has gone through the worst storm its ever seen. However, it looks as though it will be coming back bigger and better than before.

Posted by cihelen | February 14, 2013 9:20 AM

so sad to see my Coney so devastated however, I know that i will be able to soon enogh, enjoy it once again. Been a Coney girl for ever. Thanks for the pics nad the time you took to share them with us

Posted by Edith | February 14, 2013 4:35 PM

Buy from ebay, the worlds largest and most trusted auction site. Pay with paypal and eliminate any security issues with your credit card.

Posted by Michal | February 24, 2013 10:10 AM

This is beyond awful. Poor people.

Posted by catering winnipeg | July 8, 2013 1:16 PM