Posted in music | technology on October 9, 2012

Online Piracy

Heads up, file-sharers:

The nation's major internet service providers by year's end will institute a so-called six-strikes plan, the "Copyright Alert System" initiative backed by the Obama administration and pushed by Hollywood and the major record labels to disrupt and possibly terminate internet access for online copyright scofflaws.

The plan, now four years in the making, includes participation by AT&T, Cablevision Systems, Comcast, Time Warner Cable and Verizon. After four offenses, the historic plan calls for these residential internet providers to initiate so-called "mitigation measures" that might include reducing internet speeds and redirecting a subscriber's service to an "educational" landing page about infringement.

The internet companies may eliminate service altogether for repeat file-sharing offenders, although the plan does not directly call for such drastic action. -[Wired]

The plan was outlined with the guidance of the Center for Copyright Information which reccommends email notification, a series of "educational alerts" and finally possible reduction in internet speed, though no cancellation in service.

Meanwhile, have you downloaded your legal BitTorrent Willis Earl Beale EP yet?

supposed to happen july 1, then september 1, now an ambiguous "by years end". these people can't get their shit together

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2012 3:51 PM

Won't work, the pirate community is too far ahead.

Posted by The Land Ho | October 9, 2012 3:53 PM

eat a bag of dicks

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2012 3:57 PM

intellectual property rights are a joke

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2012 3:57 PM

It has started with Verizon. I have received two warnings, within 24 hours of downloading a couple of TV shows. Unfortunately, I had downloaded the torrent files from a public torrent site. A bit lazy of me. So, yes, it is happening now.

Posted by Soon to be former Pirate | October 9, 2012 4:17 PM

^Hey idiot, just get a seedbox or a vpn and pirate away.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2012 4:19 PM

hey losers. Just get a job and pay for something.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2012 4:23 PM

anyone who gets nabbed with this shit torrenting is a joke. up your filesharing trix noobs

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2012 4:25 PM

THANKS SO MUCH OBAMA!
WE LOVE YOU GLORIOUS LEADER!
MMMM MMMM MMMM

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2012 4:30 PM

If you torrent a lot do two things:
1.) pay $10.00-20.00 per month for a seedbox
2.) use TOR when browsing and d/ling the torrent files to load onto your seedbox.

Or, when you ignore all your ISPs warnings and they send you a letter telling you they're going to cut off your service if you don't stop, play dumb with the customer service rep. Then, they'll ask you if you have a wireless network set up. Say yes. They'll ask if it's password protected. Play dumb again. Pretend you didn't know it needed to be password protected and ask if someone else could be using your connection to d/l torrents. When they say yes, act shocked. Then get a seedbox.

I know that there's VPNs but I'm not experienced enough to do that w/o worrying about getting caught. If anyone knows of any good info on VPNs for people that aren't great w/ computers, put up a link. Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2012 5:25 PM

Just read through torrentfreak.com

They are way more up on this topic then BV and have good guides on vpn's and how to use them.
Search around their site

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2012 5:42 PM

Also, this is all a big nothing really. They are not going to slow down or disconnect your service. I heard Time Warner will just keep issuing you warnings and that is all. That is all they are required to do.

If they were to cut off people they would lose customers. People will just flock to some isps in the area that are not with this shit

You know these corporations don't want to lose business.

Not to mention the minute they start cutting people's internet the flurry of lawsuits will begin. An IP address does not equal that person who owns it is the downloader.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2012 5:48 PM

wow all of that VPN business sounds like a lotta work. I just use Spotify, yo.

Posted by beeeeeeve | October 9, 2012 5:54 PM

Not a lot of work at all actually unless you are an idiot which i understand is in great supply around these parts

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2012 6:04 PM

I don't know the value of the stuff I've downloaded over the years, but I'll guess that a lot of people with good jobs couldn't afford it, let alone most people. Should my experience of the culture be limited to what I can afford, even when I can have the rest for free? Those aren't lost sales, and neither are those things I download just because they're there, like a Jay Z record: if it weren't free, I would never hear it.

The looming threat of austerity makes me additionally question whether I have any disposable income at all, and the repression of last year's political movements was especially discouraging...

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2012 6:14 PM

i wouldn't even listen to jay z for free

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2012 6:20 PM

but i'll pay for a mixtape by clipse

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2012 6:20 PM

I got into music because of piracy. Now I go to shows and buy albums (on vinyl, after downloading). If piracy actually ends, or becomes too inconvenient for me, so would my interest. I'd stop going to shows and stop buying albums and just keep what I have. Their loss.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2012 7:01 PM

"An IP address does not equal that person who owns it is the downloader"

Ha haa, tell that to all those people who got sued and settled out of court.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2012 7:02 PM

"Not to mention the minute they start cutting people's internet the flurry of lawsuits will begin"

Face it, kids; the days of all the free music/movie downloads (open internet) will be over sooner than you think. Corporate greed runs this country. I mean, can you point to anything they haven't won? Can you point to anything that they don't control (or will control)? Can you give me an example where the "public good" won out over corporate greed?

Enjoy it while it lasts. You'll soon be paying $5 for individual songs from iTunes, lol.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2012 7:18 PM

^ Don't believe me?

I can remember paying $.75 a gallon for gas in 1998.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2012 7:20 PM

^ In 1998 a 20oz Coke was about a dollar. A 20oz Coke is still about a dollar.

In 1998 a gallon of gas was about a dollar.

NOT ANYMORE.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2012 7:30 PM

I'm no techie, obviously, but does this apply simply to torrents, or does it include downloading shit via rapidshare and the like?

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2012 7:34 PM

@3:57

Get FUCKED.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2012 9:28 PM

I remember when an 8oz tub of Sabra was a dollar.
Those were the good ol days for sure.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2012 9:33 PM

In 2012, a 20 oz coke is illegal

Posted by Dan | October 9, 2012 9:55 PM

I'm gonna stock up on 20 oz Cokes in Hoboken or something just in the hope that Cocksuckerberg will see me with one some day.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2012 10:04 PM

" "An IP address does not equal that person who owns it is the downloader"
Ha haa, tell that to all those people who got sued and settled out of court."

You are a giant doofus. If you had any clue you would know most of the people they went after years ago were young people who were scared shitless and did not know what to do. So what did they do. Well instead of trying to fight a beast with a 6 figure judgement staring at them, they settled for far less.
Guess what this did to deter piracy? NOTHING! Every time they sent out new lawsuits the amount of file sharing on the net went up. That is why they stopped sending out these lawsuits for the most part

In addition, a judge in PA just ordered a copyright troll to go to trial instead of settling. Meaning this is the first time bit torrent related evidence will be tested. In other words, testing out the attempt to accuse a person of infringement with nothing more than their ip address as evidence

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2012 1:58 PM

"Yeah.... pretty sure that fine print on your monthly bill says something about terminating service at any time for any reason.
Face it, kids; the days of all the free music/movie downloads (open internet) will be over sooner than you think."

Not as cut and dry as you think and the idea that you think all of this is coming to an end is so just laugh out loud funny.
You are either a clueless luddite or someone who works for the RIAA. Either way you have no idea of what you speak of.

7:34-No this has nothing to do with using file lockers. This is only about bit torrent.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2012 2:02 PM

I wish I could download a robust hummus platter onto my table here.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2012 2:21 PM

"That is why they stopped sending out these lawsuits for the most part"

^ Ha haa haa, you're kidding, right? I like how you added this bullshit after admitting that all those people settled out of court ...just like I said. In other words; the IP address = the downloader.

"Not as cut and dry as you think"

^ Haa ha ha. I hate to tell you this, but it is. The internet will end up exactly the way radio and television have. You know how they were great ...at first? Then big money came in and ruined them over a period of time? The poor internet will be ruined even faster. Just watch what they do it over the next ten to fifteen years. You want something other than NBC and Clear Channel, you say? THEN YOU'll PAY FOR IT. That's basically what's good about the internet now: it's an alternative to that kind of corporate shit. Soon enough you'll be begging to pay for something else though. Because they'll have ruined the ol' net too.

Just you watch, you clueless fuck. I know it's been nice these last ten years or so, but The people who pull the levers on this shit are just now starting to get greedy. You have no idea how bad this is about to get.

Here's looking at you, Google.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2012 6:13 PM

I got my own religion, so fuck what your pastor saying. Tbf I wish I lived in NY my favourite artists all there, cept my four favourite Kendrick & the rest of TDE.

Posted by Makeup | November 23, 2012 3:22 PM

I know that the Usa will do it but canada and some others allow you to. Some of the dsl and internet providers already slow down download speed but that is to save them money right now. some people will figure a way around it like always.

Posted by dsl | April 12, 2013 4:19 PM