Posted in music | pictures on October 11, 2012

photos by Chris La Putt

Morrissey @ Radio City Music Hall -- 10/10/12
Morrissey

One down, two (and a whole tour) to go. Morrissey, one night after appearing on Colbert, played his first of three NYC shows this week, and it was at Radio City Music Hall (the next two are at the less glamorous Terminal 5). As the week goes on, we'll have much more to say about these shows, but meanwhile here's pictures and the setlist from the one that ended just about an hour ago. It continues below...

this pic via richardchai

Everyday Is Like Sunday
Ouija Board, Ouija Board
Black Cloud
Spring-Heeled Jim
People Are The Same Everywhere
Meat Is Murder
To Give (The Reason I Live)
Maladjusted
Let Me Kiss You
Speedway
I Know It's Over
One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
I'm OK By Myself
----
Still Ill

It was this or the Yankees game. I'm very satisfied with my decision to go to the game. Would have loved to hear Shoplifters though

Posted by Dan | October 11, 2012 12:27 AM

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLL

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 12:41 AM

This concert was fantastic. Morrisey still has it...
A highlight was the throngs if people constantly rushing the stage.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 12:43 AM

Disappointed...first quarter of the show was fantastic. After the PETA propaganda film, went downhill. ONE SONG ENCORE?!?! C'mon!!! I guess the terminal 5 audience will get a better show. He seemed unhappy with the audience. "Should I go now?"

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 1:04 AM

"As the week goes on, we'll have much more to say about these shows"

Why? These shows are not that ig of a deal.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 1:10 AM

"As the week goes on, we'll have much more to say about these shows"

Why? These shows are not that big of a deal.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 1:10 AM

"A highlight was the throngs if people constantly rushing the stage."

Great! A perfect example as to why the comments on this site are terrible now. Again, a non discerning amateur concert goer.

HIghlight???? First time seeing Morrissey pal?

(Bowery and Webster last time were much better. Terminal 5 will be the worst of them)

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 1:13 AM

1. Stop taking off your shirt during the show dude - no one wants to see that anymore
2. We get it - you dont eat meat - couldve chose a way better Smiths song than Meat is Murder and show the slaughterhouse film

If I see you again live I'm going to buy a baconator before the show and throw it on stage if I hear Meat is Murder

Best part of the show was the Shocking Blue video for Out of Sight Out of Mind and NY Dolls Looking for a Kiss video

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 1:22 AM

I thought 1/2 half was great and was very disappointed with last half. And was in shock as I saw a bunch of girls rush up to get closer to stage for encore and repeatedly tried to knock usher down to get closer. They used brutal force and he was polite and hardly pushed back. Then they all basically attacked him and got to stage. I tnink thats why show ended so quickly.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 1:26 AM

1:26 show didnt end quickly - he only does one encore - check setlist.fm basically same set he did last 2 shows more or less

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 1:30 AM

well compare setlist to carnegie hall show. That had 21 songs. as opposed to above so it felt shorter.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 1:36 AM

@1:26 - I was standing right next to that usher. They flat out bumrushed him.

@1:22 - A baconator is always both disgusting & hilarious. Good call.

Dan @12:27 - something tells me Shoplifters will end up Youtube, for what that's worth.

First half was definitely better, but overall another good show.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 1:40 AM

Second half was a disappointment? I thought the song choices were fantastic (though Maladjusted wasn't actually played tonight). I did think that the show was lacking in splendor though. The production was underdone for a venue like Radio City which I thought looked silly. I'd prefer it be plainer than have those string lights that did absolutely nothing for the atmosphere. The audience really seemed to suck which I feel was reflected in the band. The only time I really felt he got a good applause was after the encore.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 1:52 AM

try finding splendor at terminal 5.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 2:10 AM

The slaughterhouse film is a reality that meat eaters try to close their eyes too. They choose to forcibly ignore the realities that exist so they can enjoy their beef stew. Its weird how seemingly intelligent people can either have zero compassion, or force a blind ignorance to a very disturbing reality...

Go Vegan! And kudos to this fine website! Pass the pita triangles!

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 2:46 AM

Throngs of people rushing the stage have been the norm at Morrissey shows for the last couple decades. Men and women, fat and thin, hummus-eaters and non.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 3:18 AM

Dolls Looking for a Kiss video

Posted by Шины Минск | October 11, 2012 4:33 AM

Unfortunatly i arrived early to find the warm up singer with this pearceing voice that went through my head. That just primed me up to see the main event that included videos of animals being slaughtered. I actually could not watch it and decided to check my emails at that time. Sorry to say Morrissey's voice is not what it used to be and his selection of songs were not my favorite. I left early..

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 6:16 AM

I agree, the first half of the show was better and the "Meet Your Meat" video can be very off-putting. That said, I cannot be mad at Morrissey. He sounded fantastic, as usual, and his banter is always enjoyable. As long as he continues to tour, I will continue seeing him live. However, next time, I hope to not have two obnoxious fat assholes in the seats in front of me.

Posted by Walt NYC | October 11, 2012 7:05 AM

iPods

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 7:13 AM

this guy is a colossal dooshbag....keep your ridiculous opinionated cow petting to yourself

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 7:38 AM

Front rows were filled with dozens of balding investment bankers. They were trying to high-five Moz and then they'd high-five one another. One of these one-percenters even brought his 11-year-old kid. The whole show was pretty bad. Putrid set list.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 8:02 AM

I feel bad for Terminal 5 attendees who will have to stand during the second half of this show. Brutally boring and lifeless.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 8:07 AM

it is a matter of personal taste
for most people who have seen him live, the inclusion of some "non hits" is welcome, whereas for some who have not seen him at all this may look like a "putrid" setlist
who uses such adjective next to that noun anyway? guess your school grades reflect much more than your lack of sense

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 8:13 AM

Annoying crowd. Some dumb ass was doing the wolf wistle all night long from the back of the orchestra and was being obniouxous. Hey dumb ass Moz can't hear ya.

Anyway show was ok. He sounded decent. Some odd song choice but Moz is an odd man. Enjoyed I know its Over!

The rushing the stage to me is a waste because it causes Moz not to sign most of the song. These bastards reuined Still Ill and Theres a Light for Me and I am still annoyed about it.

ok rant over

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 9:00 AM

Nice view, kereeeeen :D

Posted by CeritaMedan | October 11, 2012 9:00 AM

barf

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 9:02 AM

9:00 man that guy was a douche. I wanted to punch him in the face! Drunken asshole he was!

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 9:06 AM

Poor setlist. I almost went, glad I didn't. Most people in NYC are jewbags.

Posted by AIDS | October 11, 2012 9:08 AM

i think he was off last nite. not a very well put together set, and there were a ton of people not into the show...

Posted by RICHARD | October 11, 2012 9:09 AM

Why doesn't he show a video about our clothes being made in sweatshops? Why doesn't he show a video depicting the violence going on in Syria? Why doesn't he show a video of our emissions destroying the environment?

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 9:09 AM

So grateful for the PETA table, and Meat is Murder number (with images). I (and we) left saying "Is this the great Morrissey?" Still love him, but not a stellar show; esp. for NYC and Radio City Music Hall. Three-and-half star out of five.

Posted by Phillip | October 11, 2012 9:20 AM

It's the songs....the Smiths had great songs...the energy level was through the roof when Smiths songs were played...as for the solo stuff,it's just not the same

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 9:32 AM

Posted by Phillip | October 11, 2012 9:42 AM

it was a good show, but not as good as the last time he was at Hammerstein Ballroom. First half was great and then it trailed off. I had a bigger problem with the song selection of "Meat Is Murder" over a dozen other superior Smiths songs then with the PETA video playing behind him. If he wants to use the stage to express his opinions, he has that right.

Though it was kind of ironic watching some of his fans get manhandled by security after watching a video about the ethical treatment of animals. Not a bad show, but not as good as the last one.

Posted by amonte | October 11, 2012 9:43 AM

Did he eat a cheeseburger after, or a cat?

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 9:44 AM

It's telling when you see a lot of people hanging out in the lobby while the concert is playing. This was not a good performance..

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 9:52 AM

Mozzer rocked last night! So glad I went, and my kid was all "ugh why do I have to go see this old guy with dad" but by the end he was a convert! Shoplifters rocked, so glad I had my plugs with me (and it would be akin to child abuse if I didn't have them for the little guy!). Just checked the score of the yankees game during boring songs, and my friend who was there was sending me pics of the game so I felt like I was there, and I did the same of the concert for him.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 9:52 AM

boo hoo

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 10:00 AM

1:13 AM = DORK!!! I would call you a nerd, but you don't make any comment of substance yourself.

"Bowery and Webster last time were much better. Terminal 5 will be the worst of them"

Electrifying stuff.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 10:15 AM

I have the same opinion as most the 1st half was much better then the 2nd half and the encore just ended fast and lights were suddenly on and I stood there waiting for more but there wasn't more. The mood was flat for the 2nd half and being vegan I appreciate the song and video but it didn't help to capture the crowd it just put them off more.

Posted by Ryan | October 11, 2012 10:19 AM

My prob with the Meat is Murder video is what is this stock footage from 30 years ago? Update it a bit bro.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 10:21 AM

Last time I checked leather_shoes were made from leather, which involves the slaughter of cattle.

(mic drop)

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 10:27 AM

Nothing will ever top his show at the Apollo Theater back in the early 2000's. Last night's show was a bit of let down. I've never seen the MOZ do only one encore. He seemed like he was in a rush to get out of there.

Posted by kimlevering | October 11, 2012 10:28 AM

Hammerstein shows were great and setlist varied!

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 10:37 AM

9:52AM really nailed it.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 10:43 AM

Was happy to see Moz for the sake of seeing Moz, lackluster moments aside. Kristeen Young's opening performance was incredibly awkward and felt like large-format karaoke to me.

Posted by quartilla | October 11, 2012 10:52 AM

Hammerstein was great, I totally agree, he seemed to have more energy and be in a great mood

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 10:59 AM

Instead of haivng that awful opening girl, he should do two sets

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 11:01 AM

he didn't play maladjusted. but i'm guessing the photographer probably didn't stay past the three songs allotted, so s/he couldn't have known. check out my friend's review (+mor pics)! http://nymn.com/morrissey-radio-city-music-hall-new-york-music-news-review/

Posted by anonymous | October 11, 2012 11:02 AM

Stage lighting weak, second rate. Crowd. dismal and dreary. Morrissey not inspired nor inspiring. Crowd didn't give him anything to feed off of. Stage Security deplorable dude on the left stage needed his ass handed to him~ a little too brutish.And the high fiveing shirts that were mentioned above were just sad and embarrassing. The crowd rush is overated and over.Songs selection was good. I didn't need to hear hits. I came to a Morrissey concert not a Smiths reunion.I think the smaller confines (sic) of Terminal 5 will work better. Morrissey's vibe wasn't going past the half way mark in the orchestra, any excitement dropped off as you moved away from the stage. But he mentioned that we (as in all of us, including himself) have to create the atmosphere. New York crowds are apathetic these days. Has to be sad for an artist who's excited that they are coming to NEW YORK CITY and they get nyc

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 11:04 AM

The sound in that place isn't all that great.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 11:09 AM

As stated before, Maladjusted wasn't played.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 11:56 AM

The sound at Radio City is top-notch, actually. But not every band is equipped to sound good. For example, Spiritualized totally owned the place a few years ago when they did the "Ladies and Gentlemen" show.

Lush, symphonic bands can sound incredible in that room, but loud punk-ish guitar bands tend not to do so well. Just the way it goes.

This was my first time seeing Moz (long-time fan) and I have to say I was underwhelmed by this show, sadly.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 11:57 AM

Can't wait to see the blubbering sweating overweight homosexual fans running up on stage to touch his face at T5 on Friday. I could give a shit about the weak post-Smiths catalog, I am gong solely for the freak parade.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 12:30 PM

I thought the show was really good. However Radio City is simply not a good place for a concert. Which I hate to say because the place is so spectacular. But the crowd was terrible. They picked it up at the end but they were not into it. Which was strange because the beginning of the show was great! Terminal 5 Shows are going to be more lively.

The 'Meat is Murder' Performance was intense and clearly he made everyone uncomfortable. However It's exactly what I expect from him, so ya kinda have to love it.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 12:37 PM

"The sound at Radio City is top-notch, actually. "

Actually you are quite wrong and don't really have a clue as to what good sound is. Radio City is big huge and boomy. If you are in the first 10 rows or so then it works to its disadvantage and the sound is lively. Not amazing but can be rich and full with the right type of band.

If you are anywhere else in the hall, it does not matter what type of band is playing, the sound is just not good.

Also , anyone excited for Terminal 5 should not ever be allowed to make comments on this site. Go away please.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 1:24 PM

1:24 you go away, you fascist troll. no one, I mean NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR FROM YOU EVER AGAIN.

Oh, and eat a bag of dicks.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 1:51 PM

1:24 definitely sounds like the type of person who has absolutely no friends in real life.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 2:01 PM

Boring setlist, boring crowd, boring performance by Moz. Even the Oscar Wilde projection looked bored. I saw the previous shows on setlist.fm and was hoping for something better (not sure why), but twas not to be.

@9:09 he did actually talk about the war in Syria.

@1:24 nope, the opposite is true, sound at RCMH is better in the back of the orchestra and the first mezzanine. That said, no seat there has truly awful sound. But Morrissey's shallower/rockier sound doesn't fully benefit from the lusher/warmer tone the hall creates. Spiritualized doing "Ladies & Gentlemen" is still the gold standard for sound at RCMH, perfect match.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 2:02 PM

1:51/2:01

That's the best you clueless tools could come up with?

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 2:03 PM

Playlist and pacing a bit slow for my taste, the crowd sucked and so did the security. Head locking the jumpers even females?? Didn't play back to back strong songs. Meat is Murder was great to see and Everyday like Sunday but didn't need Spring heeled gym and maladjusted ... overall truly disappointed truly truly truly ohhhh.

Posted by indigo | October 11, 2012 2:07 PM

Nice pics! Caught the Boston show, I am smitten once again...and I don't have sex with men, I swear. Maladjusted WAS a highlight...

Posted by Fantastic Bird | October 11, 2012 2:12 PM

Cure Play 210 minutes. Morrisey 80 Min..

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 2:18 PM

Oh man 9:00am I heard that jerk from the first Mezz..Couldn't figure out where it was coming from. This dude probably farted in the arcade fire pit too!

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 2:36 PM

"Ok, I got it, I'm old...", even MOZ admitted it.

Posted by Oh, Boy.. | October 11, 2012 2:37 PM

Morrissey really played for 70 minutes if you exclude the breaks and long intro. He really shouldn't have tossed Maladjusted, there would have been less complains...Thats like 10 mins he threw out

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 4:56 PM

i love the smiths and love morrissey but last night's performance was terrible. he didn't seem into it, the crowd didn't seem into it. it almost looked as those last few stage rushers were paid by Moz to make it look like a cooler show that it was. I left disappointed same as I did the jones beach show of his when he left the stage after 50 minutes way back when, I believe i was still in high school.

a shame because the apollo show from a few years ago was incredible. I had high hopes because of it.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2012 5:07 PM

I don't think the crowd was the problem last night like many people are saying. Morrissey is the performer and it is his job initially to set the tone for the night. The crowd first feeds off of his vibe and his selection of songs and the order in which they are played. I was fine that he wanted to play some of his lesser known music but he should have done a better job alternating them with his more popular hits to keep the crowd's energy alive - he practically put the crowd to sleep during the second half, hyped us back up with a decent encore and then made a quick exit. I also agree with other commenters that Radio City is not the greatest for carrying his type of sound, further dragging down his performance. Anyway, I am nonetheless glad that I went - one mediocre performance doesn't define him - he is still one of the best.

Posted by Gus | October 11, 2012 6:00 PM

Why do half of you people even go to the shows when all you do is complain!? Jesus, if you love Moz, just be happy you got to see him and he didn't cancel the show! The Smiths are gone, get over it; his solo stuff is even better in my opinion. The problem with this show was the lame-ass stiff crowd, not Moz. He looked and sounded great. And stop comparing his setlist times, especially to the Cure, for god's sake!

Posted by Anonymous | October 12, 2012 12:57 PM

^ my left half thinks Morrisey is alright, but my right half thinks he's a jagoff blowhard. Why does my left half not agree with my right half? Who knows ... ask them!

Posted by Anonymous | October 12, 2012 1:07 PM

Saw both the T5 show and Radio City shows. Completely different experiences even though the set list was almost identical. Moz and the band were in top form at both. But the feeling at Radio City was dark and disconnected. The RC began with beaming lights and disturbing audio of a woman referencing cultural failings and fears "rape, homelessness,cancer.." Very different note to start off on compared to T5's New York Dolls videos.. Also, the crowd at RC gave back nothing -- I don't know if it was the lack of intimacy of the venue (which Morrissey noted on stage) or what. The Meet Your Meat video seemed to taser gun the life out of an already half dead crowd. Seeing real Moz fans thrown off the stage in full choke holds was a
depressing finale. T5 was more similar to the energy of past shows like Hammerstien -- with the audience giving as good as they were getting. (And not getting seriously manhandled by bouncers.) Kyle the 11 year-old was at both shows at the front of the stage -- who is this friggin kid?!

Posted by mimirose | October 14, 2012 11:36 AM

"Saw both the T5 show and Radio City shows"

Shut the fuck up with your worthless rant review and get some much needed help you psycho.

Posted by Anonymous | October 14, 2012 12:05 PM

12:05 you are clearly the psycho with nothing to contribute. The other poster's take on both show's were more interesting than your hate rant.

Posted by anonymous | October 14, 2012 4:55 PM

I thought the Saturday night T5 show was phoned in but it sounds like it was worse at Radio City....

Posted by GW | October 25, 2012 10:04 AM

i love is Morrissey, if you exclude the breaks and long intro. He really shouldn't have tossed Maladjusted, thanks!

Posted by Tantra | November 14, 2012 8:26 AM

Great collection of cool pictures, really enjoyed watching these photos. Thanks for sharing with us.

Posted by Evening Dresses | November 23, 2012 12:04 PM

I heard that concert was amazing! And the pictures are really great!

Posted by Viola | November 24, 2012 2:11 PM

Hey, I thought the show was great. I rollerbladed with my 8 year old daughter from central park to the show. We had a great time! I've been to a ton of shows and one thing I've learned that Morrissey isn't going to be touring much longer so I just enjoy having him around. The music was great. Not a big fan of Black Cloud but other than that the setlist was great. Shoplifters awesome, Ouija Board, Fatty, Sunday, all were great. Too much out there to hate, let's love this shit before it's over. Going to AC to see him and to Westchester.

Posted by The Fritz | November 24, 2012 7:26 PM

was the concert that great? people your comments made me eager to know when the next one will be held.

Posted by Watch new movies online | December 11, 2012 4:33 PM

I love this band! I'd love to go on a show, sorry that came here where I live when I could not go, I'm in São Paulo in Brazil, but now I'm ready

Posted by Manutenção Automotiva | April 4, 2013 8:40 PM

I love Morrissey, I'm dying to see him in concert, but this difficult, but certainly when the opportunity surjir I'll come running!

Posted by Tratamento para Estrias | April 5, 2013 11:30 AM

He's great on the stage.

Posted by catering winnipeg | July 10, 2013 2:40 PM

Always Morrissey :D

Posted by Seorang Buzzer | March 26, 2014 12:38 AM

Your articles are always awesome and just the best. I literally love your articles.

Posted by Cara Makan | August 22, 2014 2:55 AM